What does Jow Forums think about qutebrowser aka the vim web thingy

What does Jow Forums think about qutebrowser aka the vim web thingy

Attached: Qutebrowser.svg.png (1200x1200, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

qutebrowser.org/doc/help/configuring.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a good project. But I use surf.

Use it as my fulltime browser, love the features it has. Piping a hint to a program like mpv is excellent and impossible for Firefox and Chrome. My only negative critiques of it are the lack of extensions, modern internet is cancer without Ublock Origin. I run a Pihole to DNS block ads but its not enough. The developer very available, I started talking on IRC about how to launch a private mode session from the command line so I could make a sway/i3 keybind and he was talking within a minute or two. Turns out it didn't have that feature built it but he would add it because a few people had asked.

I love it, and use it on my Linux machine. I'm looking for an alternative on my laptop, though, since I switched to OpenBSD and the qutebrowser version it has is very outdated, and I can't even browse github with it.

start porting qtwebengine

Build it from source.

It would be perfect if it supported extensions

No reason to use it. Crashes like crazy, you're better off with any browser + vimium/vimfx.

>No reason to use it.
Can the browser extensions pipe hints to external programs? I use exclusively sxiv to browse and quickly save Jow Forums images with keybindings. Also I don't think you can completely avoid using the mouse on some of those, but I've only tried vimium.

It's my go to browser, especially after they added *monkey script support for 4chanx and the countless misc scripts I made myself.
There's also nothing better than the ability to seamlessly execute userscripts, like having it open today's new rss feed updates by just typing :rss after an alias.
Sure the lack of ublock origin or other extensions sucks, but it's still better than using anything else.
Never had it crash, how did you manage that?

I use it. It's probably less secure, and in some cases less performant than Firefox unfortunately (it's bad at handling tons of tabs at the same time). There's also some specific sites that don't work as well - e.g. while typing a location on Google Maps it will randomly jump out of insert mode for me.

If it supported extensions/addons I'd probably use it, but it doesn't, so I'm using Librefox.

I'm too much of a brainlet for that, so I'm going to wait for someone else to do it.

Attached: 1478311466640.jpg (583x705, 83K)

Change the input into Passthrough mode with Ctrl+V. The problem is the box updates itself with suggestions and drops the Insert Mode.

Do you anons have any experience with Luakit? How would you compare it with qutebrowser?

best browser

Attached: 2019-04-08-111653_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 380K)

here's a tip:
put this in your config.py
config.set('input.insert_mode.leave_on_load', True)
config.set('input.insert_mode.leave_on_load', False, '*://*.4channel.org/*')
config.set('input.insert_mode.leave_on_load', False, '*://*.Jow Forums.org/*')
config.set('input.insert_mode.leave_on_load', False, '*://translate.google.com/*')

if you want you don't wanna get knocked out of insert mode after each character you type in the Jow Forums X search bar (same goes for google translate)
read this before you do that though qutebrowser.org/doc/help/configuring.html

more tips:
:bind to view all current keybinds
:open -t qute://settings/ to view all settings, you can change them from there
:set scrolling.bar never to prevent scrollbar from appearing when searching

these keybinds are useful to add imo:
# Bindings for normal moe
config.bind('', 'open-editor')
config.bind('', 'tab-move +')
config.bind('', 'tab-move -')
# Bindings for insert mode
config.bind('', 'open-editor', mode='insert')
config.bind('', None, mode='insert')

btw you probably don't need the first config.set line here make sure you uncomment config.load_autoconfig() at the beginning of config.py if you want your settings from the command line to be read

install pdfjs for pdfs

make sure you run
adblock-update
once in a while to update your hosts file

use qtwebengine 5.12
5.11 and earlier are a bit shitty
takes almost 10h to compile on an x220, be warned

the documentation is good, read it

also, if you need the web inspector thing, you have to run qutebrowser with --enable-webengine-inspector flag
after that just press wi and you get pretty much the same inspector thing like in firefox only in a new window

Reminder that you can shitpost using your editor of choice by pressing Ctrl-E in a text prompt in insert mode.
Just replace the "st" part with your terminal and the part after "-e" with your editor.
c.editor.command = ["st", "-n", "floating", "-e", "emacsclient", "-t", "+{line}:{column}", "{file}"]

>config.bind('', 'open-editor')
You can also bind 'edit-url' or 'edit-command'. The URL one is pretty helpful sometimes.

This is comfy thread

Attached: 1553747013810-g.jpg (1024x652, 94K)

>But I use surf.
Lel, it has zero features, and it's got a ton of dependencies. It's one of the few suckless projects that sort of sucks.
For really light graphics browsers, I think dillo or netsurf are better options.

The --enable-webengine-inspector flag is only needed on Qt < 5.11 (also, it's potentially insecure to visit untrusted websites with that flag on).

It's not bad at all, but still, it really needs some good extension support.
If you want a browser with Vi commands, your best bet right now is Firefox + Vim Vixen.

I've only ever had it crash on /v/ during april's fool and on the new r*ddit