Best video compression codec coming through

Best video compression codec coming through

Attached: download.png (302x167, 4K)

lmoa

Attached: X264.png (600x176, 44K)

I mean, sure, until VVC and AV2 come out it's effectively the best video codec out there. That's how it usually goes.

Will we ever get an encoder as good as x264 again?

Don't expect x264 speed for any modern codec. h264 is trivial compared to hevc and av1, so of course it's stupid fast. But encoders for new codecs that output good looking streams with great compression, while still being reasonably fast given the codec's complexity? Sure, maybe rav1e will prove to be just that.

too bad HEVC at 10-bit is better

Proudly funded by advertising companies, so you can watch their advertisements in higher quality.

>Don't expect x264 speed for any modern codec.
I don't consider x264 great because of its speed, but the psychovisual tuning.

As i said, rav1e is your best bet. x265 and libaom will focus on PSNR because it's great to make encode quality comparison graphs they can show the people behind their funding to keep the bux flowing.

Fuck we got enough codecs and containers as it is. Disk space is cheap and easy to expand.

Redoing a 5TB or more media library just because that new streaming device requires that it all be in "such and such" format is not easy nor quick. I hope to god they (pirates) stick to what's been working for ages now (.MP4, AVI,MKV and H.264, Divx/Xvid, HVEC)

Still pissed that some bastard encoded some show I wanted in .FLV format instead of just using .MP4 or .AVI like a normal fuck. Had to redo it so that Plex would be able to play/render it thus I could watch it on my TV.

Sorry, I don't have the time to spend 3 years encoding.

Please pay me now

The scene is not going to stop using mkv any time soon. There's simply no reason to. It supports literally everything.

And they will also never use AV1 much like they didn't use VP9. It was and will always be H264 for Blu-Ray rips, and HEVC for Blu-Ray UHD rips. And for 8k i'm fairly sure they'll use whatever codec the 8k Blu-Ray standard chooses to use, which will be either HEVC or VVC.

The thought of having AV1/opus mkv gives me an erection.

1 year to hardware accel.

AV1 etc aren't about saving disk space, they're about saving bandwidth, which is why YouTube and Netflix are so interested in them.
For normal people's everyday use, h264 will remain the de facto standard for quite some time.

>As i said, rav1e is your best bet.
I know. Anything affiliated with Google will be optimized for simple metrics and Intel focuses on speed.
>x265
x265 isn't tuned for PSNR. It uses RDO by default.

Are you telling me people are still buying blu ray discs? Lol ok gramps.

I do.

Where do you think the rips come from?

Well, best codec in theory. In practice, encoders suck balls so you better use AVC or HEVC.

x265 doesn't focus on PSNR user

>It uses RDO
PsyRDO
You can do RDO targetting PSNR too.