I'm about to install Ubuntu 18.10 for the first time. Any tips?

I'm about to install Ubuntu 18.10 for the first time. Any tips?
I don't really care about muh privacy that much.

Attached: ubuntu-622x415.png (622x415, 43K)

Get a Chromebook after you play around with Ubuntutu for a while.

Just get used to care about your privacy, trust me, just a general tip. About the topic, desu, no tip could help you. Using ubuntu is pretty intuitive and braindead

wait for 19.10

>18.10
please use an LTS version so you won't cry about the bugs you may encounter also you should care about your privacy
terrible advice

Holy crap, there are lots of options in the store. Weren't there like 5 chromebooks only?

Is the stock software good for daily use?

install minimal.
wont have amazon shit or other bs that isnt needed. still a full OS without the bot bloat.
its a choice to install minimal during installation

Let's say it's enough, for daily usage, and it's surely efficient. Once you get comfortable you may think about installing more specific software

install Xubuntu LTS instead = 0 bugs

Install manjaro instead

if you can, install Ubuntu alongside Windows.
it doesn't hurt to dual boot

ubuntu stinks but manjaro is literally dogshit and vomit

So the main thing to keep in mind is that since you chose the version 18.10 you will have to upgrade in a few months (as in reinstall the whole thing).

If you don't want to have to upgrade in the next few months choose one of these versions:

These are called long term support versions and they happen every two years.

16.04 is an abbreviation for the forth month of 2016.

18.04 is an abbreviation for the forth month of 2018.

The next "long term support version" will be released the forth month of 2020 and so it will be called 20.04.

You chose the version 18.10 which was released on the tenth month of 2018. It will expire on the forth month of 2019 and you will have to reinstall the machine.

If you want one that will last you the longest choose 18.04.

Ubuntu 18.04 will expire on the forth month of 2023 giving you plenty of time to reinstall.

>Is the stock software good for daily use?
Yeah

Is 18.10 really that bad?

I never tried it but I just prefer using stable on any distro and I especially recommend stable if you're new

Don't you mean 19.04?

Why would you need to reinstall instead of just update?

dont

Use Pop Os instead if you want something Ubuntu based.

There is nothing "unstable" about 18.10 , get the fuck out of here.

Good luck OP gettin' my feet wet too
Linus is really REALLY beautiful, surpassing even Windows 10 in appearance

Attached: DeepinScreenshot_20190407190420.png (1920x1080, 401K)

how do i install ubuntu but without deleting my windows pls answer

I have xubuntu too, in a 10 year old imac but it's the only thing I have right now (it was free and the only working computer I have right now I wouldn't have bought it, people really like to trash still decent macs)
Nice to see you and OP are fellow recent linux train boarders. I was a user of windows 7 and 10 is just way too fucked up for me to even want to touch it.

google it faggot

doesn't matter. best bet is for OP to use LTS so he won't cry about any bugs and leave a bad taste in his mouth like many other people out there

I went from 18.04 to 18.10 without needing to fresh it, hell I even switched to higher Linux kernel already without it fucking up.

leave deepin immediately. the kernel is literally a chinese backdoor. it's been proven to be a botnet

so couldn't I just install a different colonel if it's such a botnet?
My home's IDS hasn't spotted anything yet btw

So you're the retard who keeps recommending Manjaro to newbies.

install gentoo

>Any tips?
ctrl + alt + t
sudo apt-get install gentoo -y

Install 18.04 instead. Check the other flavours, maybe you will like them more.
19.04 releases in ten days, maybe you should wait.

Default Ubuntu theme is kinda funky, if you want to deck it out install GNOME Tweaks and get yourself some nice themes and icon packs (the go-to is usually Arc Dark and Papirus respectively)

Attached: 2019-04-08--11:44:41-1919x1079.png (1919x1079, 1.99M)

You're probably going to get shat on but that looks comfy

Isn't it going to be buggy on release?

The truly buggy ones are the X.10 versions. Also, is not like you can't return to 18.04.

>flat and material
literally every leddit ubuntu ricer

>terrible advice
I try my best to give the worst advice. I'm working on getting worse.

This. Install minimal, then install if you want
>cheese (default camera)
>rhythmbox (default music player)
>totem (default video player)
>libreoffice
>unrar (default archiver)

linux mint
because reasons
and the people are nice & not mean

> 18.10 for the first time. Any tips?
Prepare to upgrade in a year and have something break. x.10 are milestone releases, nobody cares about their support.

it's not bad but it's not long term support version. i guess it's alright if you want to play around but i'd go for 18.04 for stability.

Attached: desktop.jpg (667x800, 58K)