Why are people so fucking retarded. This Kick starter has made 350k. How is this even legal

Why are people so fucking retarded. This Kick starter has made 350k. How is this even legal. kickstarter.com/projects/nexcomputer/nexdock-2

TL:DR they are selling a 200$ empty laptop shell with an HDMI cable saying it turns your samsung phone into a computer. This feature will work with any laptop of course and you can buy a 1080p functional laptop for about 20$ more.
>"Harnesses the power of your phone"

Attached: 0afc9526184faa30a8dd6c41809dd588_original.jpg (1024x576, 91K)

$200?
That's a steal.
Is it ips and 1080pee?

holy shit this is retarded

Aren't Chromebooks like 150$ new lol

it's only going to get more centralized

What's the point of getting this if you still have to carry something the size of a laptop? Fucking zoomers.

wtf dude

sounds like u r jealous op

It has been done a dozen times before, it felt a dozen times before. Why do we even care about people buying into this stupidity? Shit thread.

I could see this being useful as a portable display and keyboard (with integrated battery) for whatever application. Maybe not worth 200$ but I wouldn't say no to one for free.

I backed it because I also preordered a librem 5.
This combination is something that's going to either be amazing or I'm really going to regret it.

Apparently it works with RasPis. As a RasPi laptop that's not bad.

whats wrong with this?
ok, the android experience wont be mindblowing, but then again, you dont have to use smartphone, as any SBC will do.

I could see this being thing in future.
Imagine if your stuff gets stolen but you have autobackup of your phone, and your phone is also your laptop. nice right?
It could also help with some people with broken screen, given that this will work plug and play

Im interested to see its insides, could there be space for rpiw

nice wallpaper
where can i find it

For $200 that's not the worst deal. Still kind of dumb but at least they arent over charging

If it's a decent screen with a mechanical keyboard and it can run linux off my phone then why not? Means I just buy q new phone instead of new phone and laptop.

I mean my phone is a octocore with plenty of ram. Why not poweruse it

Lmao I spent less than that on an X1 Carbon.

touchpad looks like shit

throttle your little phone idc

its good to know smaller companies arent totally stamped out yet.(watch this get outed as a clever industry plant type crowdsource marketing ploy to promote new flagships and kill competition) but in any case this will kill most normie cromebook ane low to mid tier laptop sales

desu any laptop I buy for $200 is going to be slower than my flagship phone so I can sort of see it. If you think of it as "a handy screen and keyboard for your phone" I could dig it.

This is fucking genius and once the chinks start copying and selling it for $30 all the normies will have one.

Why not buy a Librem 13 or 15?

Exactly. For the same price you can get a Chromebook that connects to your phone too and shares all the data/connections with it. What's the point?

>you dont have to use smartphone, as any SBC will do
Any smartphone that would even have support for video out would blow away any SBC

>it's automatically better because it's a cellphone
My Q10 and many other phones would get wrecked a modern SBC

you can buy a functional Core 2 laptop for under $50, or a 1080p i5 for ~$100. buy an actual device, not some weird case. put android on it if you really want.
>Imagine if your stuff gets stolen but you have autobackup of your phone, and your phone is also your laptop. nice right?
just have it on your laptop and make actual backups. what if your phone gets stolen?
>It could also help with some people with broken screen, given that this will work plug and play.
if you can take a laptop with you as substitute for phone screen, why not bring an actual laptop and not use your phone? phones should be for calls anyway, and you can connect your phone to do that on a laptop.

>This feature will work with any laptop
How?
Name a single laptop with a (hdmi/dp/usb-c) video input

Attached: 1543818396712.jpg (1080x1080, 111K)

all the laptops

you just have to manually solder usb directly to the laptops board

Most cellphones have software that fucking works and can utilize all the supporting hardware that leave less load on the actual ARM cores leaving more room for application code

I actually think it's a good idea. Most people just use a laptop as a screen + keyboard anyway but will spend absurd amounts on a high end smartphone. So why not reuse that computing power with a terminal instead of replicating the redundant hardware?
It's essentially a return to terminal based computing, with your phone being the mainframe. Probably a good ecological choice too, as you can just upgrade your terminal with a new phone.
Once 5g becomes a meme, a mobile terminal might even be a good choice for some organizations. Rather than managing a bunch of latops, you could connect them all wirelessly to a mainframe and have them share the full computing power of your organization.

Attached: 1553577084340.png (700x1026, 594K)

Are you implying no SBC has hardware acceleration?

I backed it back when it wasn't even funded so I got one super cheap.
I already have a good PC, a good smartphone (S10), but I don't really have a need for a laptop other than browsing the net and maybe playing a game once in a while.
So I decided to back it, I also wanted something like this for a while.

What's the point of librem 5? Just buy a non-smartphone

If you use Android on them it'll probably work but on mainline Linux that's a tossup, but IMO if you just going to use android on them might as well just use your own phone as everything is already there

That's basically the entire concept of Chromebooks. Computing and state live in Da Klowd.

Are you implying vendor blobs and the accompanying kernel locks are acceptable?

Yes

Dumbass.

Personal insults will get you nowhere

But Chromebooks are a Google only thing mostly. This looks like a potentially vendor agnostic solution. As long as your device can implement the protocol, you can use whatever device as a driver.
Imagine if you had a single server in your home which your laptop, tablet, pc, tv, toiler, etc. all ran on.
There are other devices which do it, like steam link, but they typically aren't integrated with a display and control mechanism by default.

Dumbass.

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

See

cute recursive argument

Attached: 1551918763006.jpg (960x711, 43K)

See

See

I like the idea of having a portable system console I can bring into a server room or plug into a headless server and bam. KVM.

This. People still buy an old phone dock just to use it with things like a raspberry pi

power has not mattered for a long time. it's all about software freedom

I'm not feeling up to it but I recommend cropping or screenshotting the part of the pic with the wallpaper and then reverse image searching it on yandex and the like

/thread

Looks fine to me. I guess its just up to personal choice. Its really fucking sad how many people would unironically use this though. How is this compatible wiht ANY laptop though?

It's especially a fucking ripoff now. Prior to Pie, you needed a special dock (the Nintendo switch dock would work) for it to go into DeX mode, but with the Pie update, all Samsung phones that are capable of DeX can do it with just a USB-C to hdmi cable.

HDMI in.

Yes

This is American capitalism. Shut up and find your own million dollar idea to scam people

lenovo ideapad and chromebook, both sub 200 burgers

Then you're a dumb nigger. Blobs and vendor kernels are the single greatest source of kernel exploits in the wild. Remember dirtyCOW?

>1366x768 shitty tn panel with bottom of the barrel intel 2 cores cpu and 1gb ram, 16gb sd card as storage
yeah no

>this just in, normies are stupid. more at 11

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 4.35.50 AM (2).png (1920x1080, 1.71M)

>How is this legal
They clearly disclose what they are selling isnt a laptop but a shell that takes hdmi signal.

>phone shows 4:20 pm
>laptop shows 4:19 pm

>intel CPU

Attached: 1543956798398.jpg (623x702, 177K)

the problem is that it costs 200$
if it costed like 30$ it could make sense

with 200$ you can just buy the same thing but with components inside

Chromebooks are way fucking slower than pretty much any phone made in the last 5 years

I've dreamed about this for years. I won't buy it as I already have a non-compatible smartphone, a laptop and a desktop but I hope they suceed.

wall street should be renamed Mt. Stupid

You'll still need a displayport decoder and display wiring
>no proof
Yeahh, sure

The "dock" was never something special, no DRM or shit, it was just a guarantree the it will works. It always worked with a proper adapter, but the problem was finding one which follows the specs. Usb-c is a pain in ass. You either buy something pricy (apple multiport) or it.s a gamble

Attached: 1550113033030.png (498x391, 102K)

>This feature will work with any laptop of course
I'm pretty sure most laptops can only do video out, not video in

You cant find a new 12in+ display for 30usd

Attached: ismart.png (518x767, 301K)

>Believing scamstarter will give you good panels

this has been done many times over the years. first one almost a decade ago.

Attached: 813XQMKHRmL._SX679_.jpg (679x442, 43K)

You can get an old thinkpad for the same price and it will be a million times better.

Your old thinkpad cannot decode 4k, hevc or youtube

People are stupid.
Huawei and Samsung support these out of the box.
You can make something even cheaper yourself with 3d printed shell and screen of your choosing and power bank.
I think I already have a laptop that I don't use anymore that would be perfect for this.

Attached: tumblr_oxuwnaHhxE1upyvx7o5_500.gif (480x270, 942K)

>4k
Who needs that shit on a laptop screen? Nobody.
>hevc or youtube
Youtube works fine with h264ify, hevc is a useless placebo.

>fell for this meme
>bought refurbished x220
>power circuit on motherboard died 4.5 months into use

I plug the fucker in and nothing happens. Tried replacing the DC in, no dice.

thinkpads are a fucking meme.

That's nothing considering this shit raised 8.5 million dollars.

Attached: OUYA-Console-set-h.jpg (1000x586, 144K)

ITT: retarded boomers who never go outside or always carry their 701ds

>people are stupid for paying money to get something better than 3d printed junk

that thing actually have pretty good specs, if you need cheap laptop, getting this might actually be better choice

>Nah dude phone computing™ is totally the next thing yeah bro!

have you ever used a rpi as anything other then a headless server? its absolute shit

kek come to /biz fren, you'll see a fucking ICO of a centralized database larping as a blockchain project led by a literal square faced mongoloid raising 4 billion dollars... 4 billion dollars