If you can install Gentoo here's your certificate

Attached: Certificate for Installing Gentoo.jpg (500x500, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reviews.llvm.org/D28791
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Jow Forums

Thank you very much user, I will treasure this certificate

Thanks!

I spent way too long making this back in the day

Attached: gensokyo_cert.jpg (5000x3748, 2.11M)

pretty good user

and if you can teach someone to install gentoo here's your certificate

Attached: autism.jpg (760x538, 89K)

>compiling a kernel
I haven't gotten that far yet
>read instructions
handbook doesn't cover how to debug and write a patch to fix build error causing bugs that some random redhat employee introduced 5+ years ago to essential system utilities

Uh, someone upstream always fucks up (also sometimes even someone at gentoo.org).

BUT you should be able to work around build errors on a reasonably standard setup? Actually, usually a gentoo maintainer already took care of the problem. Are you doing this on some exotic architecture?

musl/libcxx/libcxxabi and llvm/clang/ld.lld toolchain. I added this patch
reviews.llvm.org/D28791 to compiler-rt, otherwise it's from the main tree. I started with the official musl stage3 and swapped the toolchain (care must be taken as clang and llvm are split packages and they both need to be build the same for clang to function correctly, i.e some emerge -B trickery is needed)

thank you user. I'll treasure it.
but this one will take a while

gentoo isn't even hard to install these days jesus

Attached: 1554671913600.jpg (1956x2048, 406K)

I see. Makes sense. Glad you're helping test/fix this stuff.

I had enough issues with the llvm toolchain that I had to fall back to using a whole lot of GNU in package.env.
I don't think you can dodge a comparable situation on most distros, though.

Should've used kanji for her name

I don't recall it being actually hard 10+ years ago either.

thank u user

Attached: 4510920ef38695305e952daf3dea7075.jpg (1919x1078, 741K)

I was surprised how little actually broke, and of those that did 90% had already patches available in Alpine, FreeBSD or Void repos. Some stats: 75/83 world set target I had and 706 packages installed so far. 41 issues out of which 22 had easy fix by using musl overlay or version bump, 13 corrected with trivial patches either via user patch or custom ebuild, 1 overhaul of qt5-eclass so it actually passes build enviroment variables correctly (there's a 10month old bug report on this...) + custom ebuild with significant patching for qtwebengine, and a complete rewrite of libreoffice ebuild to patch musl and cxx build issues and to use the new qt5 vcl and pdfium (still trying to get this to work). On 3 packages I just turned around and didn't want to waste time on a messy codebase that has been abandoned for a decade

Here is Jow Forums certified machine certificate
You can print in on aluminium tape for ducts using laser printer and stick it anywhere you want.
Also you can etch, but you'd need to invert it

Attached: toaster.png (200x437, 4K)

epic
this is going on my macbook

MacBook?

I forgot state of california warining

Attached: Untitled.png (200x600, 5K)

thank you. it's not really an acomplishment and doesn't require any effort but you're already smarter than the average Jow Forums user if you can

>only OS options are Gentoo and Temple
kek

I see it being used like that.

Attached: toaster.png (200x437, 6K)

fixed

Attached: toaster.png (200x437, 6K)

>musl/libcxx/libcxxabi and llvm/clang/ld.lld toolchain
Based

Few years back I tried building LFS with clang + libcxx. Got pissed off when I discovered that glibc is full of shitty gcc extensions. Then ragequit when it turned out even the linux kernel uses gcc extensions, including some that are so exceptionally shitty that the clang devs explicitly refuse to ever implement them

Make a version with arch on it and I'll legitimately slap this on the back of my laptop

fpbp

Vanilla 4.4 and 4.9 got patchset included that allow building with clang and they still do. I think it was up to around 4.14 that could be, but then x86 devs decided that they want to enforce asm-goto and broke building for that arch. Asm-goto is now finally making its way into clang, I think llvm already has its bits in place but clang is still in the later stages of merging those features, so release llvm-9/clang-9 coming later this year should be capable of building even the newer kernels.

it never was

Holly shit, this guy's still alive?
I thought he had left years ago.

so all these ours weren't wasted

Attached: tenor.gif (498x414, 940K)

Attached: 1506219786344.jpg (6799x5096, 3.06M)

It's really easy actually.

1. extract the tarball
2. make some small edits in 2-3 files
3. install bootloader
4. fukken boot the system

You can just use the debian kernel, no need to be autistic, although you can be.

It's more pleasant than installing Windows or some other crap and actually much faster.

theory and practice different things
you need proof

Thanks user

Attached: out.png (2560x1080, 339K)

Awesome, thanks for the info, user. Maybe I'll have to try that build again some time

Here's your pudding. I can't believe I've been baited by this.

Attached: gentoo.png (1918x1054, 372K)

You would be shocked to know that those three skills listed are missing from 99% of computer professionals today.

Good luck and have fun. Also I finally figured out why libreoffice install script was failing fixing the last package for now. Kernel and first boot soon*

This piece of perl script
if ((index $path, $outdir) != 0)
{
installer::logger::print_error("file '$path' is not in '$outdir'");
$error = 1;
}
was generating erros like this
file '/var/tmp/portage.tmpfs/app-office/libreoffice-6.2.3.2/work/libreoffice-6.2.3.2/instdir/program/sbase' is not in '/var/tmp/portage.tmpfs/app-office/libreoffice-6.2.3.2/work/libreoffice-6.2.3.2/instdir'
Can you figure out what was wrong?

/thread

Oh man, nice to see you around, I noticed you the other day on /hsg/ too.
I haven't seen that picture in at least 3-4 years.

Attached: 1554729040983.png (2537x2462, 2.59M)

oh aye, I'm still around - come and go sometimes, but never leave.

Attached: 1276820200035.jpg (768x1024, 404K)

Line wrapping didn't work out when copy pasting. Hope that still makes sense

Wow, what an exceptionally shitty way of checking file paths for containment. But it does look like it should accept those two particular paths.

Exactly. It should work but that (index $path, $outdir) was evaluating to -94373316395008 instead -> perl itself is broken not my libreoffice.ebuild. Confirmed by logs
QA Notice: Package triggers severe warnings which indicate that it
may exhibit random runtime failures.
util.c:615:12: warning: implicit declaration of function 'memmem' is invalid in C99 [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

Honest question: so what is the advantage of using Gentoo over say Ubuntu, Arch, or what have you?

it was never hard
just hard compared to macshitLMAO

It is an obvious choice if you want to have variants of binaries at compile time. The package manager and the ebuilds it has are excellent for this.

No, using debian's tooling to do your own variant packages is not remotely smooth in comparison.

>over Ubuntu
Gentoo is not inherently broken bloated spy/adware. You are better off with anything that is not Ubuntu except manjaro.
>Arch
More autism and supports more achitectures.
Disclaimer: Never installed gentoo.

Please never leave

Thanks, but I prefer CRUX these days.

Attached: meme-powers.png (1280x800, 44K)

How do you live with fonts like that?

imagine using a distro that requires you to recompile the entire kernel any time you make any hardware changes.
gentoo is fucking useless on old hardware.

>a distro that requires you to recompile the entire kernel any time you make any hardware changes
If this happens, *you* decided to not include any hardware drivers except the minimum. At which point, no shit - you chose that this happens. But you're completely free to enable as many or even more drivers than most distros have.

Congrats, your Gentoo is now supporting more hardware without recompiling and you can use that very exotic server hardware right away!

Also, you're kinda wrong about "the entire kernel", you can no-clean and even use ccache. It's not source code that is perfectly set up for incremental recompiles, but you can get pretty far.

>dont only select the minimum then
ok, ill compile the kernel with all the features then. ill come back in a week when my core two duo machine is finished. then ill come back in another 3 days when firefox is finished compiling.

A reasonable kernel will take ~2.5 hours at most, nothing that even requires a full overnight run. Haven't checked how long it takes for the full kernel, but even that should be faster than a night.

If it bothered you this much, you could use a binary for both of these specifically.

will I be able to install and use Gentoo regularly when I'm done with CS uni?

Attached: 1548027696590.png (1427x1080, 2.32M)

OP btfo
Now he has to redo his shitty certificate

thanks... now we need to search for jobs that use that system daily

No, you'll have to learn that on your own.

that's fine by me, but will I be able to understand what I'm doing rather than just following commands? I feel like if I don't, then there's not much point in installing it in the first place

hi, I'm an intermittent lurker and I have no idea who you are but you sound interesting. who are you?

> I feel like if I don't, then there's not much point in installing it in the first place
This is just a step in getting started to understand anything much about practical computer usage.

Of course there's a point, but you'll need to do a lot more to git gud.

Hes just an attention-seeking namefag/tripfag from Plebbit who replies to himself to make him feel important

not him but
>seriously considering waiting 3 (or even more) hours to use your computer is okay

compiling the kernel on my 7 year old i7 takes 4 minutes
just use distcc if you must use a shitty laptop

Attached: 1544937878551.png (341x334, 150K)

nobody asked for your opinion you faggot

i love you too user

Attached: ezgif-2-492a7ed28c40.gif (500x280, 1.01M)

He's the best tripfag of them all.

Attached: 1422743914232.png (1000x1424, 1.98M)

You don't wait to use your computer.

You're either asleep, or shitposting or whatever else with your current kernel which actually hasn't disappeared yet.

What do I get for installing Arch?

Attached: 1554770635396.png (500x500, 190K)

Compiling time is lowre even on underpowered kek atom

some essential linux knowledge and a different perspective on computers, unless you've installed arch/linux from scratch/gentoo before

You get what is coming to you.

Congratulations, user

Attached: 1ZuMORo.png (800x800, 1.12M)

gentoo is absolute trash and a scam pushed by Jow Forums.