If its free you are the product

>if its free you are the product
why do people say this shit

Attached: no brain.jpg (645x729, 64K)

Well they aren’t wrong

People don't say that about FOSS.
But in most other cases it is true.

On user. because you are. Every buisness needs revenue, most all websites with free services be it facebook or otherwise mine data analytic off of your usage and build a personal profile of you which is sold in whole sale with other people's to other businesses. The actual product is your personal information. Sure, many of these sites have ad platforms as well, but the real meat and potatoes of their business plan is you.

Because its true, even if for FOSS software
even freetards using ubuntu are being targeted

Only retards use Ubuntu.

Same goes for retards using linux in general

No it doesn't.

Ubuntu is the only desktop GNU+Linux that makes money by collecting user data.

because it's often true

occasionally you find free software that neither has ads, paywalls, nor spyware, but those are usually exceptions rather than the rule

>if i say a true statement with a sarcastic voice it makes it untrue
am i on 9gag?

btw don't think you're safe just cus you paid for something. in a seller's eyes every customer is a potential product

>People don't say that about FOSS.
>But in most other cases it is true.
Spbp
/thread

It's almost like blanket statements are meaningless.

Under-utilized wisdom.

nice blanket statement

>The amount of anons that think the statement is for free software and not online services
Jesus Jow Forums is full of retards.

It's almost like you need to add "on average" or "usually" plus "Of course not all X, some are Y" literally everywhere for you people not to be retarded.

Not that it matters, because you'll come up with something else retarded.

FOSS is free as in freedom, not free as in price. So the statement doesn't apply. Ubuntu has some opt-in tracking which is easy to remove. Just don't install the ubuntu-report package.

Facebook however is free as in price, but not free as in freedom.

How does that apply to open source software?

Because that's how it works, nigger.

>Ubuntu has some opt-in tracking which is easy to remove.
So it's opt-out, retard. Ubuntu isn't regarded highly when it comes to freedom.

FOSS is free, not FOR FREE
Foss is paid to make and support instead.

DIGIMEND maintainer for example only implemends support for the tablet he was paid for either by community or manufacturers.

>Hey dude did you implement tilt registration on this tablet
>No, they haven't paid for it yet
>Messages me back it two weeks
>I implemented it for the tables you asked about

You must think, why are they giving it to you for free?
Maybe they charge for premium usage, so they bait you with a free basic service.
Maybe they want credibility and reputation, so free earns it for them the fastest.
Maybe they want you addicted and start charging for it later.
Maybe they want you to collaborate to it, so making it free increases adoption and chances for more collaborators.
Maybe they want you to test it, people will test it for you if it's free.
Maybe they sell secondary products needed by usage of the free stuff.
Or maybe they just want your data, and offer something for free in exchange for it.

It is true in a way but more in the way that the more people using it the more potential contributers it will have so you are a product but only by choice

Because they sell your data to advertisers so advertisers can better direct market products to you.

brainlets like you will never understand

>not knowing companies create software to suit their individual needs
>not knowing making an internal software open source is the fastest way to grow that tool and make it robust/performant which benefits them in the end to help them build their tools better

Oh dear brainlet user...

Attached: 1533201471017.png (481x463, 145K)

>Firefox is free, you are the product.
What did they mean by this?

fpsbp

what you write might actually make sense if freetards would stop trying to redefine words. New speak, autist.

>not knowing Firefox makes most of its money from advertising royalties every time you use the built in search they provide to visit a search engine's results page
>"I wonder why my default search is set to yahoo after just installing firefox? Ah well, probably nothing" - user probably

The absolute state of brainlets on Jow Forums nowadays

Attached: 1533430545395.jpg (720x918, 96K)

I think this is especially true if the service requires fair sum of money for servers etc but it's not clear where they get their funding.

>Ubuntu is the only desktop GNU+Linux that makes money by collecting user data.
IF, you enable the Amazon feature.And if you do, it's a pretty fucking narrow bit of data they are collecting.I wouldn't piss on Ubuntu if they were on fire, but I do tend to get annoyed when I see people spreading FUD.

>Only retards use Ubuntu AND Amazon, with tracking enabled.
It doesn't do shit if you aren't using Amazon.