Can we have a Javascript thread where we don't talk about web development?

Can we have a Javascript thread where we don't talk about web development?

Attached: images (2).png (200x200, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.chrome.com/extensions/nativeMessaging
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> He writes Javascript
> He calls himself "Engineer"

Remember, you have to use Javascript.

Attached: programming_challenges.png (3840x2160, 1.61M)

inb4 c compiler in javascript

coming soon™

Attached: terminal-window.png (1884x1560, 129K)

Has any game engine gone so far as to use JS for its scripting?

Cross Code

I mean, Impact. Cross Code is the game.

Name one (1) alternative to JavaScript

unrionically pretty based, wish it had types

But there are types.
boolean, string, number, object, arrays (which are objects with some extra shit), null, undefined, function.

VBScript

i mean it was strongly typed

That's a meme tho. If the runtime is handling memory, you don't need that, since memory layout is not a concern for you.

I'm having a blast.
I'll be making big bucks teaching African refugees in Denmark and Netherlands how to program JavaScript.

Attached: 2019-04-13-180317_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 378K)

Type safety isn't about memory safety.

>using javascript outside of web development
uuuuuuhhhhh

Yes it is. If you don't know what types you are passing around, then you have a developer issue, not a feature issue.

It's just some shit your web browser executes, nothing stopping you from making a browser which can execute python or c++ or lua code in html.

>just make a new browser lmao

Attached: raff.jpg (220x229, 9K)

guess you could make a browser extension too?

I don't know, that depends heavily on the browser and what kind of access it gives to extensions. You'd have to completely rewrite the api exposed through js. Not to mention an interpreter for the language. That might be even less feasible than writing a new browser because you'd be constrained by what the browser offers you.

Does this board even know how cumpootah works?

woah really? that's awesome. I remember using Impact back in college for a project. it was pretty nice to work with in my experience. sad development stopped on it, but nice that its open sourced now

hey cunt use the new url parser it takes literally 1 extra parameter and it tells you what it is

Attached: B221385C16A047869C6A1C075F3710AE.png (540x540, 273K)

WE'RE IN FUCKING 2019
STOP USING CALLBACKS
USE GODFUCKINGDAMMIT PROMISES WITH ASYNC/AWAIT YOU DUMB SHIT

callbacks are faster and easier to understand desu. stop projecting just because you can't program and have to be spoonfed.

the enthusiastic german guy in the pirated udemy video materials made october of last year tells me to use those callbacks and i have no brain to decide on my own
NO, i love the deprecation warning, it's soothing to see every time i save

certain APIs still expect callback functions

why not, though

0 a.d.
It didn't seem to work out for them.

If you know 100% of the code base you're working with, then it's a toy project.

JavaScript is an utterly atrocious language and the only reason people use it is because it's still the easiest and most flexible option you have in web development.

It's used for more than web development.

No, you infer variables from the code. If you can't understand what kind of data is passed around, the code is badly written.

starting to make a desktop environment powered by Node.js

Yeah because idiot web developers love their comfort zone.

If it wasn't required for web development they would have never learned this shitty language and never viewed everything as a shitty web app.

What should I learn after do good js????

Then how come PayPal migrated their code base from C# to NodeJS if the only reason to use it is comfort zone?
Surely the developers were already comfortable with C# since they were already using it.

developer.chrome.com/extensions/nativeMessaging

W E B A S S E M B L Y

they say it won't be the alternative to it dealing with the DOM (they say), but it might be the alternative for computing, but who knows since it's still in development and I'm just a memer who doesn't know much about it

Office politics, front-end devs being favored over back-end, managing messing with the code or any other stupid reason. The most popular thing is rarely the best thing.

You want the real non-projecting answer?
It's because development in NodeJS was more than 30% faster.