Why do you need a partition for /home, /var, and others? what are the benefits of this?

why do you need a partition for /home, /var, and others? what are the benefits of this?

also how partitied is your disk?

Attached: 1554663052892.jpg (693x689, 76K)

/, /boot and /home is all you need

Attached: 1545973133805.png (1920x1080, 247K)

Separate partition for /var would make sense for servers so your root partition wouldn't reach 100% use easily (so you can still install software and whatnot). Not necesarely that logs would get that big but other software might fill that up (docker's onionfs is an example here).

what if I only put everything in one partition?

>/home
Allows you to keep your data when reinstalling/switching your OS and upgrading from scratch.

You can with no issues. But if it's a server they can crash the system if people write a shit load of data

I kinda like to start from a clean slate though. It's easy enough to backup your data to some external drive.

>It's easy enough to backup your data to some external drive.
Don't get me wrong, I still do backups. But it saves me a lot of time not having to copy several TB worth of data every time I upgrade (which happens often enough with Fedora).
It also saved my ass once, when I trashed my system after not updating my backups for a few months.

You don't. Stop using cuckbsd

>upgrading
>not using a rolling release distro
better luck next time, bucko

I'm sure you're very proud of your choice of distro, user. Good for you.

/boot/efi
/
/swap
didn't need anything else

Will using a second newly created home partition with same old username overwite the old or should I create new user with other name?

I did this and it didn't touch my home folder

literally only need / to be mounted.

if you put /home on a separate partition then your /home drive is independent of your install and if you ever need to reinstall you don't have to worry about your data and dotfiles and shit

then you're stupid

/var and /boot are optional - for security. Some even put /bin separately with different write permissions.

/home on a separate part or disk is a no brainer - comeback to me when you've had to reinstall (for whatever reason) and you didn't have /home separate and you've just lost all your data.

>/swap
This is topnotch - ALWAYS have swap on separate drive if possible (I use muh sd as it never really gets used for anything else) - I can always swapoff if I really need to.

Attached: tara-moss-1216888.jpg (1080x1080, 85K)

BIOS+MBR
>/
>swap
>/home
BIOS+GPT
>BIOS Boot
>/boot
>/
>swap
>/home
UEFI+GPT
>/boot
>/
>swap
>/home

Attached: 1555187791985.jpg (810x611, 183K)

I'm going to move from windows to GNU soon. Roughly what proportions should my partitions be for a typical arch+plasma install assuming I only go with / and /home?

>>/swap
>This is topnotch
Why is that? Should I use a different partition for swap if I only have a single HDD?

I have separate partitions because it means I can have a 500gb /home on another (hdd) device and use all of my ssd for /

> Should I use a different partition for swap
It's the way it's usually suggested because if it's placed in the beginning, it will have higher speed. You can create swap later as a file with dd and swapon.

>Should I use a different partition for swap if I only have a single HDD?

err yes. Swap is a partition. You don't have a /swap folder that you mount the partition in it's a completely different format

/boot - vfat 500M
/boot/efi - vfat 500M
/ - ext4 30G
/var - reiserfs 15G
/home - f2fs or ext4 depending on my mood

/var is formatted as reiserfs because I like murderers and it is more performant on smaller file operations.

>Why is that? Should I use a different partition for swap if I only have a single HDD?
Security (encfs) and speed as already suggested. If you're using an ssd the speed is probably negligible.

As I said - I think I can count on 1 hand the no. of times I've plugged an sd card into muh slot OTHER than muh swap partition over the last few years.

I can either swapoff or plug a usb adaptor in anyway if I did have an sd card to read.

And of course this : it's a partition not a swapfile like windows.

Make a partition for /tmp.
Making partitions for /var or /home depend on how much you have going on in them.

Any advantage in separating /boot/efi on top of already having a /boot partition or have I been memed?

>Make a partition for /tmp
I did this. The performance improvement was barely noticeable.

I did do tmpfs and noexec but there really shouldn't be anything executable in /tmp anyway.

Also only put /tmp on something that can handle a lot of io (like /swap).

Attached: 71baGQLFDgL._RI_.jpg (1200x1600, 139K)

/home is for personal data
/var is for logs mainly, maybe websites too if you run them there
/boot is just important, don't worry about it
/ is for everything else

They're separated so if your logs or personal data fills up, it won't crash the system. On the flip side, if the system crashes, you can reinstall without losing your logs or data.

It's not for performance.
If your drive fills up for whatever reason and you have no space for /tmp your computer can become unbootable.

>reiserfs

Keep a close eye on your wife, my dude.

>If your drive fills up for whatever reason and you have no space for /tmp your computer can become unbootable.
Wouldn't having a static sized partition (in comparison to a folder that can be filled) be counter-intuitive? Not trying to be rude, just interdasted in your metric.

>inb4 if your /tmp directory is filling your hdd I don't think having it separately is your biggest problem.

>he's never left testdisk running, appending to log and found /var/log overflowing....

Attached: dud.jpg (640x360, 16K)

/boot
unencrypted
/
dm-crypt + LUKS