I've tried and failed to use a computer to take notes

Paper is big business. Every year students buy new binders and pencils and notebooks and erasers. Inevitably those are lost or used up and you head back to the store for more consumables. You spend like $20 a month and near 90% of it ends up in the landfill, and if hit hasn't, then the remainder will probably never be read again anyways. How can we pay for this shit every month, and how can we throw the shit we paid for away like its packaging?

Enter, electronic note taking. There is some trial and error because it isn't intuitive but I have found the one that works the best, if you are interested in trying it out yourself. At first I used a touchscreen tablet computer. The problem is that the rubber stylus is way too grippy on the glass, so I realized that's not the way to do it. Drawing tablet works much better. Now software. I tried pdf, notepad etc. they were ok, but the best is onenote. The compatibility is surprisingly robust and everything is in vector lines. I use my usual configuration for my tablet: disable all buttons, enable windows ink, lock proportions.

Not only does electronic note taking save you money and prevent clutter, all your notes are available wherever you are, the notes cannot be lost, and you dont have to carry any gross and dilapidated paper.

Everything is fine and dandy until I tried it out in class. Taking notes and reviewing is much easier, but this is very bad preparation for the test. You run out of paper on the test, and if you panic like me, that will ruin you. Next, im not 100% on the user experience of this thing. Comparing paper and computer, you can make a mess in either but the big difference is that you can take very very nice notes in a notebook. Your writing on the computer will look much worse. Maybe it will take more training.

Overall, I still want to see where this goes. Ill be using both methods in tandem in the future

Attached: intuossmall.jpg (600x600, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lMvvdz7YJ-Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've bought am X230T specifically for this
I'm not so satisfied, but having notes synced with recordings and avaliable on every device is comfy, but i find it harder to organize my study
Onenote is prolly the one good thing Micro$soft did

Attached: Screenshot_20190414-171937_OneNote.jpg (2560x1440, 1.18M)

you should try numbering your notes within the section. Just the month and date, like 4-14. Create new sections and delete old ones so you dont mix up classes and years

>Paper is big business. Every year students buy new binders and pencils and notebooks and erasers. Inevitably those are lost or used up and you head back to the store for more consumables. You spend like $20 a month and near 90% of it ends up in the landfill
is this a copypaste from some retarded clickbait site?

no, im just a clickbait machine desu

You're not supposed to write text with the stylus you retard. You type the text and draw the diagrams/formulas etc.

che stai studiando Mario?

I have indeed divided the notes in various sections (see attached pic)
Ingegneria Elettronica, Luigi
Bel quad perĂ², controllato

Attached: Screenshot_20190414-174909_OneNote.jpg (1440x2560, 286K)

>Ingegneria Elettronica, Luigi
>Bel quad perĂ², controllato

Not gonna make it

Ok sweetie

Attached: fbadvibes.jpg (500x346, 43K)

I think the problem is there's not exactly a clean way to do this even on transformer-type laptops (2-1 Laptop/Tablet) since you'd need to be constantly flipping the keyboard out and back to tablet mode or keep shoving and pulling back a wireless keyboard. I doubt many of us can really crank out the WPM on a large touch keyboard.

Now take doing this during a lecture where you can't plan ahead on when you can fill out the text or draw diagrams/symbols.

Oh, and fucking symbols. Try searching for one quickly or else scribble it in between text.

>attempted to take ""electronic notes"" in one of my uni classes
> ends up looking like absolute shit
> able to get cheap notebook for 0.99c to 1.50$ and can read my notes just fine
> computer/electronics cost me more than paper products
what are you blaberring on about now ?

>buy shit laptop
>buy shit graphics tablet
It's not that difficult, user

Attached: Immagine.png (1366x722, 181K)

I graduated university
After 1st year i stopped taking notes because professor always used powerpoints and shared them with us
I paid attention to the lecturer instead of looking down in my notes, it was an advantage
If he drew something on the blackboard and it was important id write it down ofc, but i rarely had to
Notes in class are a meme

its really not the cost, its the running out of paper or pencils and having to go to the store, its folded notesbooks in your bag with the spine mangled, its the loose papers in your bag. I just got annoyed with that shit.

In truth, pencil and paper is still superior but eventually drawing on a screen will be the normhow do you do homework and stuff? my office is littered with GOOS paper that has random doodles and equations on the other side

All my homework was writing scientific papers, and often we were in groups so we used google docs, so everyone could modify the paper online

I wish there was a single note-taking program that was good that wasn't also Microsoft.

real talk, get a fountain pen.

You mean like ? Not that that's the only one.

I've been struggling with this for awhile. Everytime I make an attempt to use onenote i forget that they$ make you have to use an account just to use the app... fuck that why do they my notes in the cloud so badly. very suspect

Xournal++ is a literal godsend

I've used the same pencil throughout high school, and then it broke senior year. The problem isn't that writing with paper is inefficient, but rather YOU are inefficient. Don't lose your supplies.

Also, to save $20 max, you went and bought a $40+ device.

If you are a nerd use Latex

Yeah right you just want to play osu. Get outta here

Attached: 1554242306918.jpg (750x747, 67K)

Why would I take notes when the lecture slides are uploaded to the VLE?

Fucking plebians

I like paper because I enjoy handwriting and it's a good reason to get away from the computer screen for a bit.

Thanks for the informative post user. I appreciate it. I will personally keep taking notes on paper till a good paper-like note taking technology is made. Something super high DPI with a display like kindle paper white displays.

Attached: 1553015329274.jpg (1500x1125, 140K)

Touchscreen tablets styluses are not all grippy, you just had a bad one

You're never going to escape paper, so don't bother trying.

Taking notes is utterly pointless.
Just pay attention instead, you'll learn a lot more.

youtube.com/watch?v=lMvvdz7YJ-Q

Note-taking is a proven mnemonic. You don't even have to ever look at your notes. The act of materializing something from an abstract idea into words is how our brain works. Until then it's just buffer space.

FYI, there is a thing called reMarkable aiming just for that. But it's pretty expensive, has low specs (and you can't do really anything apart from drawing/writing anyway because of custom OS) and the display is still a bit laggy.

>scientific papers
>google docs
Google docs have support for LaTeX?

On average students who take notes get worse grades than those who don't.

You don't attend lectures to memorize things, you do so to understand things - huge difference.

disgusting ESL monkey

Care to elaborate?

I attend lectures because I'm too undisciplined to learn outside of lectures.

Citation needed. Just because you're a lazy fuck and got into a university well bellow your potential abilities doesn't make that your anecdotal evidence thus gained a general fact.