What reason is there to have a home server?

What reason is there to have a home server?

Attached: GlassWire_Data_Usage.png (858x649, 104K)

On my home server, I run:

A media streaming server
A download manager
Some websites
A cloud file sync service to sync important files across some devices

I used to run a minecraft server too

Other use cases are:

Data collection
Own mailserver

What download manager are you using?

>What reason is there to have a home server?
control, security and privacy. can't be censored, difficult to take down if your isp isn't a pile of shit.

>he doesn't run git on his own server

Attached: e01e922xsu0.gif (500x281, 170K)

My uses:
Cloud server
Plex server
Websites
TeamSpeak servers (~6)
Minecraft servers (~5)

My most commonly used services:
>minidlna/readymedia
>iRedMail
>cgit
>CS:S
>nginx
>xen
>xcp/ng
>NFS

If by "home server" you mean "flash drive." Git does not need a server to run. All it needs is a location to store the bare repo.

anime

Plex

No-one has their own DNS server?

Well, yeah. I still like to have some linux box in my home network, which isn't exactly the same as a flash drive.

It needs a server if you want anyone who isn't you to connect to it.

To download and seed torrents without leaving my main computer on all the time. To stay connected on IRC when my PC isn't on. To host a chatbot. To act as a NAS so different machines can access the same files without all of them needing to be on at once.

>seeding
Disgusting pajeet
>24/7 on IRC
Just login when you are home
>chatbot
For what purpose?
>nas
You don't need that at home

Cheap cloud storage out values homelabs for practically. Especially if you want to backup your data offsite.

is it possible to set up my own "Spotify" such that i can stream my music from anywhere with my phone at any time? I have a shit data plan so how much data would this use?

UnrealIRCD
mail
HTTP
ftp
cups

>>nas
>You don't need that at home
who the fuck are you to decide that though?

>You don't need that at home
Why not? It's a great way to store data locally while having easy access to it between devices.

snort

you're a dumb nigger

>is it possible to set up my own "Spotify"
Yes. Personally I use Plex but there are other options like Kodi/Emby or Subsonic or Airsonic or even a VPN + DLNA.

Not that guy, but if stream music to your phone outisde your home network, wouldn't your phone still use data? The only thing that you could save is Spotify membership fee.

>It needs a server if you want anyone who isn't you to connect to it.
Only if your computer can't serve the function. Don't try and sell git as some special case reason why "obviously anyone who uses technology needs this." From the perspective of git clients, your "git server" is really just a file-system that can be accessed. And if that's why you need, then fine, just don't dress it up.

>your "git server" is really just a file-system that can be accessed

You can self host Git Lab or other similar website like gogs/gitea.