Why is systemd bad again? Convince me to ditch systemd (arch)

Why is systemd bad again? Convince me to ditch systemd (arch).

Attached: cp.jpg (638x359, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

suckless.org/sucks/systemd/
islinuxaboutchoice.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it is widely used.

How is that bad?

Its a huge blob of code and I don't use any of its "features" so I just use something simple like runit instead

It is bad but it is the best.

Because it's gay

suckless.org/sucks/systemd/

this shithole is second option bias incarnate

systemd ain't bad. You have been memed.

Because freetards won‘t stand anyone tidying up and organizing their festering 40 year old dumpster.

because linux is build on choice and forcing anyone to use one system is bad.

Because it goes against the Linux philosophy. It's one program that does a lot of things. Linux should be based on one program that does one thing, but does it very well.

because systemd violates the unix philosophy and is now the largest attack surface in virtually every modern linux installation.

not an argument.

>linux philosophy
I chuckled
>still caring of design anti patterns that where canonized as a sort of True Way of do things
Do you still use a PDP-8, user?

This has to be bait.

not an argument.

>systemd violates the unix philosophy and is now the largest attack surface in virtually every modern linux installation
You mean right after kernel, philosopher?

Attached: 10873213-7248-4AD6-B30F-C1C0D23F1F78.jpg (220x230, 8K)

>i can't argue with it
Have a good day.

openrc is the one true init system

It will end like modern UNIX anyways.

It works fine, it's only "bad" if you're a sperg boomer and you unironically care if it doesn't conform with the unix philosophy.

islinuxaboutchoice.com/

>Why is systemd bad again?
if you have to ask this then the answer will be of no good for you. carry on using it if you like

You think it's bad because you've been brainwashed by the losers behind devuan

It's an overbloated mass of code that has consumed many jobs it has no business touching. Nobody could reliably audit something of that scale meaning you never know how many holes are in it.

>guilty until proven innocent

Attached: 1549167675611.png (645x729, 75K)

idk man runit seems pretty nice although I have only ever used openrc and systemd

So you have confidence in a massive piece of software after seeing the mess Pulseaudio was? Interdasting...

Pulseaudio works fine for me, why are you using linux anyway if you don't like massive software that are impossible to audit? Why the double standard?

You clearly weren't around for Pulseaudio version 3 and earlier. That shit would flip out over the smallest thing. I have good reason not to trust the quality of Poettering's code.

By your logic, the kernel is massive and can never be good/audited

I have a bit more faith in Linus to keep the retards at bay.

So now you're changing your argument from "it's too big to be audited" to "well it depends on who's in charge"

You're free to do so but please stop spreading FUD, just because you had a bad experience in the past doesn't mean nobody deserves a second chance, we don't shoot people who break the law for a reason

I never notice any difference as a normal user and as an admin of a smaller server. In fact I've hardly heard any complaints from anybody in the real world except from some hardcore autists. Honestly I don't even care that much.

Both. I'm not saying I have complete confidence in the kernel, as no piece of software at that scale is prefect, but I do have confidence that Poettering is a jackass with a huge ego. He's already proven himself to do stupid shit and get mad when people call him out on it.

>From: Adam Jackson
>redhat
Hmm...

Lmao at lincucks.

no game support.
os crashes every few minutes
no driver support
you need to spend few months to just make it work
slow

How is this a court of law? We don't protect code with human rights.

Only one of these is correct, and it's improving monthly. Even Sekiro runs great these days.

Oh hey, how's 2005?

Maybe not but scaring people from using something you don't like is hardly beneficial for anything but your ego

kek this

Attached: 1535398410774.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

And what's your stake in defending it? Why are you so up in arms to refute any points I make against it.

Do you have anything to say that is not ad hom? How about you try addressing his argument?

You've raised no points whatsoever, first you say it's bad because nobody has audited it, which is hilarious considering a complete audit is a luxury that only few in the free software world can afford, and then you say it's bad because you've had a bad experience with another software that is only barely related to the subject at hand, should we start permanently banning people who's ever been responsible for a bug from writing a software?

So you won't answer the question? Just going to assume you're Poettering and be done with it. Also you got a chuckle out of me when you said "a bug" as if PA wasn't a huge train wreck of bizarre issues.

There's no point in raising the level of the debate when someone that opens their arguments with ad hominems.

> itt retards think systemd runs all its functionality in PID 1
It's a collection of tools, just like coreutils, findutils and binutils. No one cries about the fact that `ls` and `mv` are being developed by a single team in a single repository, why would you care if datetimectl and hostnamectl do the same?

Testing/securing a program is not the same as a prosecution you fucking mong

It's called an analogy, and it's a valid example because you guys like to parrot the fact systemd has never been audited as if it means anything, we use plenty of codes that have never been audited, why is systemd special here? Why do you insist that they're guilty until proven innocent?

COPE. Linux is for neets and faggots. Windows is for work and games. There's LITERALY no reason to not use windows in 2019

You should do a comedy show. This is good shit!

There aren't really any technical examples of systemd being worth the drop. The reason why a lot of people choose to for go it is because of it's design and it's goals. It is a project which is trying to make every linux system the same by giving every one the same exact boot up procedure and not letting the user change any of it.
This is very similar to windows and is a step away from having true control over your system.
Also it keeps logs in a binary format that you have to read with their program and they're not descriptive enough anyway.

If you can find a way to just get a good c compiler onto windows in a few seconds then I'll switch

Not all linux is arch

Attached: Arch_Comic_1.png (650x4377, 871K)

you didn't ask him a question which would contribute to the discussion
asking someone why they are defending one side of the argument is completely irrelevant to the points they bring up about the topic

What argument? That one person 11 years ago from red hat said that linux isn't about choice?
I read the email. It didn't say anything. Just a bunch of hand waving about "it's hard"

Talk is cheap, let's see how you fare against them

It has nothing to do with freetards.
Stallman has nothing against systemd.
It's all people against redhat/nsa or people that hate the dependency spread it's doing, autists that like to choose every little detail on the system, and people not wanting desktop linux to just be a discount macOS. People also hate poettering and the way he deals with "non issues"

if linux isn't about choice, then why do i have so many distros, so many versions of the kernel, so many desktop environments, so many editors, etc?

Interesting how redhat is trying to build the definitive desktop linux by coupling things to systemd and more redhatware breaking POSIX without a care, while the system that most people say just works, and is the most user friendly is fully posix compliant.
If Apple did it, why can't red hat do it? Is it because they are assholes and want the whole cummunity dependent on them?

systemd is cool. I use it for quite a few tasks instead of legacy solutions and it usually includes more advanced and/or simple ways to do stuff. Sure, systemd itself is more complex than e.g. a shell script as /sbin/init, but it makes any tool/config/script/… that uses it that much simpler in turn.

Because agreeing to use one solution is not a human trait, it doesn't somehow make choices the guiding principle of Linux, people come up with their own solution because the existing ones don't serve their purpose, if you'd like to see your favorite init system be in your favorite distro then it's up to you to do all the work

>Because it goes against the Linux philosophy. It's one program that does a lot of things
Which is different from a monolithic kernel, how? This has to be some low effort baiting.

Choice doesn't mean that it must be available from the distro maintainer, choice means that I can configure and install whatever I want on my system without any restrictions from the distro maintainer

Are you implying that systemd somehow forbids you from choosing to use whatever you like? You can use sysvinit with, say, Arch, you just have to write the initscripts yourself for every daemon you run

>Are you implying that systemd somehow forbids you from choosing to use whatever you like?
No I'm not.

That's good then, besides, any distro that puts in some kind of measures to restrict their users is doomed to fail anyway

Your definition of choice is that the distro must put every single package in their repository and test it and make sure it works absolutely fine, and also test every interoperability with relevant packages.
Choice doesn't mean that.

>2019
>still cant move on from 2005

What does it mean then? I'm not a distro maintainer but I'd imagine that making sure the packages you ship work is the most basic requirement for any serious distro

It doesn't mean shit. That meme about "linux is about choice" doesn't make any fucking sense to begin.

There is literally no reason to use an init system over writing your own init /bin/sh script on a desktop system.

There's one: I have a life.

Dumpster fire: The thread

Attached: 1f1xy6.jpg (991x902, 60K)

I was convinced after checking out void Linux. Void uses run it which is a much more minimal version of init.
And you know what?

I didn't notice a meaningful difference. Setting up services was a little bit easier. To me, there is no point in having software that does a ton of things I'll never use when there is a more minimal one that does the exact same job.

fpbp

Wrong.
Things like your DE are starting to depend on systemd.

GNOME depends on logind, not systemd, and you already have elogind if you want to use GNOME without using systemd

user!

Attached: Ryan Reynolds Deadpool Workout And Diet - Fat Fighter Blogs- Learn How To Get In Shape.png (612x349, 290K)

based and redpilled

Attached: 1539108920266.jpg (800x1047, 257K)

Imagine being to dumb for arch lmao

Attached: 1539997050862.jpg (1660x1940, 924K)

He couldn't install it.

>muh eunuch's philosopy
GNU's not unix.
gnu.org/philosophy
"The linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger."
-Linus Torvalds

Oh please, don't try to act like anyone stays on topic here.

My CTO from the previous job literally uses arch with dwm. He is a highly expirienced and productive software engineer, with contributions to several very important open source projects. I myself use more mainstream distros, but every arch user I've ever met was a wellspring of knowledge about OS configuration and a great conversation partner.
Now, you are, naturally, a butthurt faggot, and an apologist for proprietary crapware such as Windows or MacOS. I hope you are just shitposting and not really that mad about other people's preferences.

>stuff redhat makes depends on other stuff redhat makes
Apple does the same you shill, their ecosystem is a good example

GNU is about choice.

Ditch it while you can.
Here in the systemd year, systemd is everything.
What you know as food i know as systemd, what you know as water i know as systemd, me, i'm systemd, so is my neighbors living in this shared systemd.

It looks like English, but I fail to understand him.

It's actually systemd

This kills the autist

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

I just don't need it, so I couldn't bother to use it. I find it too bloated, I like to keep things simple. I use Slackware and love the BSD-style init scripts, I see no reason to use another kind of init.

fpbp

systemctl list-unit-files --type target

>"linux is about choice" doesn't make any fucking sense
What? That's the most important reason for me why I use Linux. How can this not make sense?

It's a made up principle that autists use to crucify their distro maintainers when they stop supporting their favorite program, instead of stepping up to the plate to put in the extra effort required they just screech "think about muh choices reee"