Do you cheap out on your PSU?

Do you cheap out on your PSU?

Attached: Generic Power Supply 200_650WATTS.jpg (1000x931, 108K)

I used to.
Not anymore.

My cheap corsair vs, fsp hexa all died or made the system crash randomly.
Went with seasonic s12ii, feels good mang.

nope.

Attached: Priest_installed_GTX480_quad_sli.jpg (3500x2515, 1.51M)

No.
Have had to many problems over the years that wind up being the power supply.

Attached: Seasonic SSR-1200PD.jpg (700x521, 58K)

yes

>cheaping out on the PSU
>any year past 1993

Attached: AllKindsOfWhat.jpg (801x536, 90K)

I used to but got tired of my PSUs dying every 6 months. Bought a Seasonic like 6 years ago and haven't had any issues since.

Never cheap out on the power supply. It's like cheaping out on brakes.

You can cheap out any components but PSU. BTW, platinum is overrated.

I bought one of these back in 2009 and it has powered 3 desktops through the years, when are you supposed to change your PSU again?

Attached: COOLER_MASTER_eXtreme_Power_650W.jpg (500x500, 144K)

just have a 50w processor with igpu

Similar to my story. I bought a meme 2k Watt supply just to keep ahead.

My very first build used a cheap as shit case-PSU combo made from Chinesium. I think my build added up to ~50W less than the rated power, amazingly I had no problems for the five years or so I had it for. I've been a Corsair fanboy ever since.

>Scaffolding
imagine being the construction worker who lit the Notre Dame on fire

I went a similar route. My first non stock cpu was some cheapass 450w gamer something. It failed after a year, I spent for a decent seasonic. The voltages are the same, rock solid, almost 5 years later.

Main Rig using a FSP 750w Gold.

Secondary using a Rocky Rc1600W Platinum

Why? Because im richer than you so i can afford too.

Yes, because I don't buy overpriced, overpowered, overheating, power-sucking garbage systems just to "play" modern moviegames.

Nope

Attached: 220-P2-0750-X1_LG_1.png (600x600, 128K)

I did sort of. Got a extremely good deal on a open box 80+ plat Corsair HX850i for $45 when i built my current PC.

Attached: 1535647810217.jpg (433x433, 38K)

>imagine being the construction worker who lit the Notre Dame on fire
Wouldn't be the stupidest thing a Polack has done.

>FSP
>Rocky (literally who?)
>richer than you
Weird flex but okay

Attached: 1507162541646.jpg (200x200, 14K)

Congratulations, you are probably the most insufferable person currently browsing Jow Forums

Attached: 1543687811277.png (1000x1000, 261K)

Gamers are more insufferable.

Congratulations, you're part of the fucking nugamer cancer that's killed videogaming.

This is some high-level bitterness and seethe.

Are you guys mad because you suck at video games or is it something else? Got embarrassed at school by a gamer?

Attached: 1512923513479.jpg (400x267, 32K)

No, just sick of /v/tards ruining Jow Forums.

Same as you, did the same with my RAM back in the way. 4GB of whatever piece of shit was on sale did the trick. I miss those simplistic days...

>that seethe when you realize "/v/tards" are the only thing giving you, a lowly consumer, access to new hardware and improvements (shitty as they may be due to Jewtel and Nshitia)
Yikes!

Attached: 1553802999054.gif (600x431, 739K)

Do gamers really think this? If anything gamers are holding back consumer hardware.

>If anything gamers are holding back consumer hardware.
Oh man it's just yikes after yikes with you

Pro tip: Stacy, Chad, Boomers, and your grandma don't need anything faster than a 2010 dual core with onboard graphics. Intel, AMD, and Nvidia would have precisely zero reason to develop the consumer segment if it weren't for those pesky gamers.

They offer their collective "you're welcome", btdubs.

Attached: 1521870346673.jpg (1126x989, 808K)

Wait, so can someone redpill me on PSUs?

I'm getting the impression that I should avoid Corsair.

You do realise applications for more powerful hardware exist outside of toys, right? This is why we don't want you /v/tards here.

And those are small, niche applications that would require workstation (read: significantly more expensive) hardware if it weren't for gamers pushing companies to release still-pretty-fast consumer level components.

Your misguided superiority complex is bizarre

That honor belongs to miners. Media creation is about as demanding as a high end rig.

Are gamers really this ignorant of the world around them?

Go on then, what consumer-level applications are driving consumer-level hardware advances?

Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts on that.

Seasonic
Sparkle
PC Power and Cooling

Managing software, mining, CAD, audio and visual production, mathematics, reverse engineering, hardware emulation, networking. Just to name a few.

>Managing software
What does that even mean?

>mining
Extremely niche and would not have ever happened if it weren't for cheaply available GPUs due to... gamers.

>CAD
Workstation application

>audio and visual production
Workstation application

>mathematics
Workstation application

>reverse engineering
Workstation application

>hardware emulation
Workstation application

>networking
What does this even mean and, workstation application

If it weren't for gamers, you would not have access to hardware that could reasonably be used for any of those applications. Your options would be pay 4x more for a workstation CPU, motherboard, and graphics card, or don't do it at all.

>What does that even mean?
A number of things relating to compiling software, maintaining repositories, and so on.
I don't think you know much about workstations if you think they're 4 time more expensive than gamer shit. They perform better to. So how are gamers advancing hardware again?

>CAD
Media creation

>Audio and visual production
Again, media creation

>Mathematics
Any modern CPU can do this, favorably high end ones.

>Reverse engineering
>Hardware emulation
Do you mean virtual machines? Those have more practicality in an enterprise environment but nothing stops this from being done on shit capable of gaming either.

>networking
Consumer level NICs can average 30 bucks and networking is such a ubiquitous thing.

Avoid platinum rating unless it's a very good deal. Avoid platinum if it's a huge $$ jump from gold. Avoid platinum if you're not using a high watt load 24/7.

The efficiency difference of a system that uses 400watts gaming (very typical of an 8700k/2700x + 1080 system), assuming you're always playing games that max out your CPU and GPU which I doubt, amounts to something like 10-12 watts.
Over 10 years that cost savings isn't $50 even with the most expensive European electricity rates.
Platinum PSUs have a huge markup over Gold. The cheapest I'm seeing on Newegg is $115 for Plat and $80 for Gold and you don't want to buy the cheap line of anything, no matter the rating.

Go to johnnyguru for PSU reviews so you get an idea of what's currently good and what is shit. I bought based on a guru review years ago. My PSU is as stable now as it was out of the box, with a system I leave on 24/7, that has suffered several power outages (power-outs and dirty electricity murder power supplies over time)

Corsair isn't necessarily bad and "top shelf" names like EVGA/Seasonic aren't necessarily good. Lately most of the really great PSUs are assembled by Superflower and almost all of the decent companies use them for making their high end models.

And last but not least, buy a PSU that can provide double the watts you expect your PC to use. Almost all power supplies have their best efficiency at 50% load.

>redpill
That shit fell out of fashion on Jow Forums for god's sake of course people are still saying it elsewhere.

>Media creation
>Again, media creation
And? You asked.
>Any modern CPU can do this, favorably high end ones.
And I'm sure any CPU, with the right APIs, could run your toys. Just slower.
>Do you mean virtual machines?
Not necessarily. Are you aware that hardware emulation exists outside of virtual machines?
>Consumer level NICs can average 30 bucks and networking is such a ubiquitous thing.
What do you think networking means?

>750w
>Platinum
What

I just bought the be quiet! System Power 9 600W for my system, am i going to be alright?

Not in 10 years.

>2k Watt
How do you pay your electric bills?

Got myself Corsair RM850x.
It's pretty good.

lmao of course the ratings are overrated, but its not actually the ratings you buy the higher rated PSUs for

you cheap out on the case & wiring

Every time. I buy all of mine from some Japanese/Taiwanese shithole company. The parts are unrecognizable and they always need to be installed upside down, but they run 750 and don't die as often as the gayming corsair power supplies in fact only one has ever died on me.

Only hard part is finding that fucking company every time, the name does NOT translate to engrish.

tell us your secrets

>Go to johnnyguru for PSU reviews
JG is a Corsair employee and the people who write articles for johnnyguru.com are way up his ass. Double check anything they have to say about Corsair.

I unironically bought a 19 euros 600 watts PSU and it's been lasting me for 8 years now

virtualization, media encoding/decoding, engineering and general number crunching are hardly niche.
>CAD, audio and visual production, math, reverse engineering, hardware emulation
>workstation application
not entirely true. you're thinking asics but for work people use regular pcs with beefier stats. also, everything's running on hypervizors or under several layers of abstraction nowadays. even android phones run each app in their own container but that's besides the point.
>networking
people run docker instances or multiple virtual machines on a single physical machine to do more.

I bought a $40 Thermaltake 500w power supply.

Definitely not top of the line, but it suffices for an i5 8400 and 1060 6GB.

I have an 80+ white ones. Guess that's kind of c heaping out? I mean should be fine as long as it's not a literally who brand? Antec and Evga are the brands.

no

>mains passtrough on psu
why don't they do it anymore

Attached: 1553134693909.png (427x442, 299K)