What qualifies as free software for this caveman...

what qualifies as free software for this caveman? i find his nebulous definition of software that allows its user to control it very strange. can you give me an example of a free software?

Attached: richard_stallman_software_libre_bsc.jpg (600x600, 265K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openedreader.org/chapter/stallmans-four-freedom/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The four freedoms. Look it up, retard.

something about burger politics. dont care.

No.

openedreader.org/chapter/stallmans-four-freedom/

>freedom to run the software anywhere for any purpose
>freedom to study and modify the software
>freedom to make and share copies of the software
>freedom to make and share modified versions of the software

aah okay my bad sorry, i found now what you meant. its no example still but lets go through the points.
>The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).
what does this mean? if i run a program designed for word editing then i dont expect browsing the internet with it.
>The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
again i find this "computing as you wish" nebulous. access to source code is valid, but it opens other questions such as the value of intellectual property etc. but i roll with it for now.
>The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
dubious point. its just waiting for acceptance by authority. nothing is stopping me from sharing software with anyone. the entire demo scene back then was just that. i remember getting a pirated win xp on cd from a friend etc.
>The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
what does this mean exactly? libre office is arguably a rip off of ms office. where does the line begin and end? if i make a ms office ripoff without getting sued, then ms implicitly agrees with this principe, dont they?

I would respond, but I can't be bothered. Too stupid.

yeah this is the standard response. you have your holy scripture and even if somebody WANTS to understand you get this lol. i would be glad if you managed to only explain freedom 0.

>what does this mean? if i run a program designed for word editing then i dont expect browsing the internet with it.
There's no DRM on it that restricts your ability to do things based on having the original CD or an internet connection. And if it's free as in freedom, you could always fork it and add that functionality yourself if you really wanted to.
>dubious point. its just waiting for acceptance by authority. nothing is stopping me from sharing software with anyone. the entire demo scene back then was just that. i remember getting a pirated win xp on cd from a friend etc.
The point is to make it legal to share.
>what does this mean exactly? libre office is arguably a rip off of ms office. where does the line begin and end? if i make a ms office ripoff without getting sued, then ms implicitly agrees with this principe, dont they?
LibreOffice looks and feels like MS Office but is entirely unique from a code perspective. You could make your own LibreOffice fork with new features and share it, while you can't mod MS Office and distribute it as you please.

>yeah this is the standard response
He means you are not worth anyones time, as you expressed that you are not willing to understand the point, only attack rms and free software.
You don't argue shills so pack your shit kid and kill yourself back to /v/.

>what does this mean?
It means you should legally be able to run the program on any OS you can compile it on, and if you find a way to browse the internet with ypur word editor, thats also legal to do
>nothing is stopping me from sharing software with anyone
Non free software licenses legally do
>if i make a ms office ripoff without getting sued, then ms implicitly agrees with this principe,
They would sue you if your code included code from ms office, the fact that they dont only proves libreoffice isnt a ripoff

yikes

More on the first point: For example non free discord would prevent you from using it to discuss certain topics, whereas, nobody can tell you what ypu can discuss on your xmpp server.

Please help me understand this Jow Forums:
I always hear that free (libre) software is not the same as free (gratis) software (meaning that it is OK to require people to pay to use your software).

Yet, one of the four freedoms state that users should be able to freely make copies and share the software, right?

But then what stops someone from just copying my software and then offering it for free?....

but what does the creation of a product have to do with laws regarding conduct of speech? its like buying a car and wondering why you're in jail for driving over people but you then blame the car manufacturer instead for building "unfree" cars.

Absolutely nothing, which is why if you're smart, you sell support and other value-adds.

Product Support. Installation Help. Stay competitive and develop more and more features and fixes. Sell to businesses rather than consumers.

This is one of the difficult issues of the free software world. Companies like Red Hat get around this problem by enforcing strict trademarks on their branding and having a premium support network.

>libre office a rip off of ms office
Imagine being this retarded

>car analogy
Basically discord is a car which you cant drive over max speed limit in the US even if you use it in Germany where there is no speed limit.

does this not mean that free software developers are incentivised to have bugs and software that is in need of support?

People need support for non buggy software too, drop Photoshop or blender infront of your mom and see if she isn't overwhelmed by the options. Software in business settings can have learning curves, and while those people are learning they might want that ability to call for support

shut up
bitch

but selling support only makes you a fraction of what you could be making.

and who in their right mind would spend year and years creating something like a game engine or an operating system only to sell "support and assets" for it? i mean you might as well just learn an already existing game engine and then sell support for that - it would take a lot less time.

It seems that if everyone followed the free software ideology then no one would want to actually create anything.

Not all Free software (libre) is meant to turn a profit
Not all free software (beer) is meant to satisfy the four freedoms

Some business choose to make money selling support to software
others choose to make money selling the software itself

There are other ways to make money off free (beer) software too, such as data and adspace ala Google, Youtube, Facebook. They aren't game engines or OSes but they also took years to create and are free to use.

Even then I want to reiterate not all software projects are made with the intention of turning a profit