/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 15269040333820.png (2396x1578, 2.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm
vikings.net
libiquity.com
minifree.org
tehnoetic.com
alephobjects.com
thinkpenguin.com
techrights.org/2019/04/16/soft-coup/
gamingonlinux.com/articles/how-to-an-update-on-fixing-screen-tearing-on-linux-with-an-nvidia-gpu.8892
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have a spare thinkpad and I want to install a distro on it to help me learn more about how GNU+Linux works. What should I put on it to best achieve this?

ArchLinux && keep reading the ArchWiki

I dual boot ubuntu and windows 10 since a couple of months. Browsing feels as if ubuntu has less fps/hz than windows.
Especially scrolling in firefox feel jumpy and low refreshrate/fps and windows feels fast smooth and high fps/refreshrate but
according to the fpsrate while Im in a game I get the same fps. I have the same settings in both firefox's.
Screen and both OS says its the same refreshrate in both boots.
Why is that?

My system volume is progressively becoming quieter and quieter.
I've tested with multiple headphones and iem's, and they all have the same level.
Using pulse mainly but using alsamixer all outputs are at 100% volume, nothing is muted.
In pavucontrol, i've maximized the audio to 100% and its not as loud as it used to be. Playing the same songs i would usually be around 60-70% but now they are way to quiet to be enjoyable.
I've reset all alsa and pulse settings to their default to no avail.

Why is this happening? How to fix it?

Attached: 1457731366557.png (885x717, 33K)

Based Stallman.

Attached: 1555196063262.png (601x601, 144K)

>Where to buy hardware that respects your freedom:
puri.sm
vikings.net
libiquity.com
minifree.org
tehnoetic.com
alephobjects.com
thinkpenguin.com

Anything I forgot / should add?

Attached: 1522089295019.jpg (500x678, 290K)

http:/zerocat.org/

How do I change drive permissions on debian?

I must be retarded as this problem has haunted me for years on linux. Format a drive with gparted -> it's root. Every. single. time. Plus ending up with some folders root and some not, it's a real mess.

On ubuntu I opened nautilus as root and used the gui to change the permissions, but i'm not able to do that now for whatever reason.

So what do?

fuckit found this command
sudo chmod -R -v 777 *

>intel
>respecting freedom

for fucks sake i have the right drive label but these commands are not doing shit? It;s still all root access only. Why the fuck is there no simple way of doing this. It's my fucking drive. I format drives like twice a year and I need to learn shit to do it? Not even formatting in this case just dealing with permission bullshit

Old intel does.
-works without meme engine (new intel processors won't be released from reset state without IME) so can be fully librebooted
-works without external firmware
-intel vga works with libre drivers, no firmware needed

user, please don't.

What computer is this (pic)?

im on xubuntu, any suggestions to secure and tighten it and making it like a functional pen testing os? don't roast me just doing it as im doing open testing but want to run all scripts and commands natively.

lmao why when you cd into a directory you need to put a slash but when you cd into a UUID you have to omit the slash? Who the FUCK is coding this shit

First you should learn how to compile a program from source and install it into your system. Then pick a topic, work through it, repeat. Or just use a Kali live image and hit random keys.

programming != coding

>when you cd into a directory you need to put a slash
No.

chown

Since firefox 66.0.2, every website seems as if it is caching my clicks and scrollwheel and waiting for some fucking long ass reason before it kicks in.
I could start a 1 tab instance go to say Jow Forums.org, start clicking on some board names, the tab opens but it just loads for multiple minutes then catches up with the user input.
No errors or faults in dmesg.

>Update
lmao this is such fucking bullshit

I can't even access the device now. Yes the last thing I did was chown and it gave me ownership, but then started saying it was read only and wouldn't remount after i dismounted it. Why is it this hard to gain drive permissions on linux? Why is there no option in gparted to set permissions to user instead of root when u format a drive?

install gentoo

>No errors or faults in dmesg.
dmesg is the kernel message log ya fug, of course firefox errors are not reported to there.

Start ff from a normal terminal, see if it outputs anything fishy.

linux

It there were any hardware faults or software segfaults(since firefox forks multiple processes when you launch it), it would have shown there.

I re did what i stated in my first post running "/usr/lib/firefox/firefox -p test"(test profile, no extensions,no addons,default factory settings) and nothing showed up in stdout after letting it load and sending hardware events.

fuck of, memespamming retard.
dmesg is used by other kernels too.

Seriously, how the fuck does shit like this get accepted as "good web development".

A lot of input boxes are literally not able to keep up with my typing and they drop keystrokes now, including fucking google. I mean, I know I probably type faster than average but still, I would say that's fucking terrible design.
I've also wondered about a similar thing with web 2.0 dropdown menus. Do normalfags just not even notice how buggy as FUCK those things always were (and still are in many cases)?

It annoys me because this is supposedly "good design" and yet something like using tables to align page elements is considered "bad design" despite the fact that it works flawlessly, can literally do shit that you CANNOT do without tables (or at least not without 10 tons of boated javascript frameworks), and has phenomenal support on all browsers.

Our web is run by fucking braindead monkeys.

Actually, it seems I may have thought you were talking about something totally different.
If it's taking entire minutes to catch up then yeah that's a browser issue. Sorry.

Nobody seem to know in sqt so maybe you guys know:
Where can I find information on running an email server?
I have tried running my own, but I always get flagged as spam because there is something I didn't check. I have tried running the packaged solutions like mailinabox and iredmail, but those projects are so dumbed down, I can't get any information on what is going.

All I want is a mail server that checks all the boxes so you can send to Gmail users, mailman so I can invite people to my mailing list and a WordPress install on the same server.
Why is this too much to ask?
Should I just use something like mailinabox and rip the components I don't want out? I don't need owncloud or a web interface for reading the emails etc.
Am I missing something?

>Why is it this hard to gain drive permissions on linux?
It isn't it, lmao.

This is actually a very clever joke.

It's all over soon.
techrights.org/2019/04/16/soft-coup/

Linus has sole control on what is or is not merged mainline.
I.E BFS,BFQ

the time to install TempleOS on real hardware is coming sooner and sooner.

techrights needs more proof reading and less angery

Can somebody explain zathura to me? What does it actually view? My repo also has "zathura-pdf-mupdf" which is 30MB, why is that so huge?

Does any wireless keyboard+mouse that works ootb with fedora exists?

zathura is a GUI frontend for mupdf.

Oh, I see. Why would anyone use it over plain mupdf though?
Also, does poppler have any advantage?

Yes, any of them that has a USB receiver that registers are generic HID kb/mouse whould work.
And that's frankly how any wireless kb/mouse work save for the few bluetooth ones.

Postfix with STARTTLS, OpenDKIM for signing messages, a valid SPF record, a valid DMARC record.

What distro for gayming?

I do alot of browsing and just watch stupid shit otherwise on my spare time.

anyone can help with using a thinkpads mid button with trackpoint scrolling on mx linux? it only works on ubuntu. t440p user btw

Sure, but I want more information, where can I get that?
Email is one of those things that just should work, I need to know more to make sure everything works.
I know Google is pretty much dictating the laws on what is a legal email server config, but they don't write anything themselves so where can I read everything I need to know?

obongo

Consider
-alternate flavours(kubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu-mate etc)
-or netinstall from mini.iso
if you don't like the default gnome3.

Help

All distros are the same in this regard.

zathura has vi bindings ootb.

>yo shuttlecock
>whaddup gabe?
>want some free stuff?
>zomg yeah, what to do?
>see, i want your lunix users and you want more market share, so we tell people steam works best on ubomgo, put some badges here and there at our websites and recommend each other
>cool plan, what now
>just lean back and wait for the blog posters redditors and retards on Jow Forums shilling for free
>haha, lets do this

Attached: 1554773621079.jpg (800x450, 266K)

Doesn't mupdf?

Kinda, but also includes keys like "jump to top of current page" or "scroll half a page".

I just installed fedora and im using linux for the first time, ive noticed that some youtube videos lack HD resolutions on firefox but on chrome they work fine. What's up with this? Also, a couple of players from a streaming site wouldn't work

>ive noticed that some youtube videos lack HD resolutions on firefox
Probably the usual google fuckery? There are bunch of HD-enabler extensions, try one.
>Also, a couple of players from a streaming site wouldn't work
I guess those need flash or widevine. Chrome ships both, factory firefox only has widememe, distor firefox may lack both, but you should be able to install them from your package manager.

thanks ill try that

I got a new, fast laptop recently. I'm gonna dual boot Linux on it. What DE should I go for? Must be:
>modern, sleek
>not buggy
>not something like i3 or dwm
I don't mind if it's "bloated" I just want it to look nice and work out of the box. I've used GNOME in the past and it's alright, I don't mind it, but I use Budgie now on my desktop because it looks better imo, but it's a bit buggy. Gonna install fedora if anyone is wondering.

You need to install h264 before Firefox can give you fullhd videos.

Don't do There's a reason why 95% of Linux desktop users don't use Arch. It's good for hobbyists, but not good for getting your feet wet. If you don't want to read pages upon pages of docs that you probably won't even understand, just to use Linux, don't use Arch. It's ultra hardcore.

Attached: zOWTGsZ_d.jpg (640x4310, 352K)

If KDE works for you then it's perfect. If you're one of those who are cursed with bugs, then idfk. Xfce is good but needs major theming to not look like total garbage.

GNU+Linux*

dude, he wants to learn, that involves reading, arch is perfect for that
what is wrong with you

Actually Gentoo is

This year i start uni, Systems engineering. Decided to move to linux. Installed parrot os, based on devian on pc. Problems with monitor resolution and shit. Now that I solved that, i cant get vscode to work properly. It doesnt generate a .exe file

Is there any other ide or good compiler with debbuger for linux?

>ib4 muh console

user, you're doing it wrong.

hey /fglt/ I don't know where to ask this but I wanted to know what do you guys use for chess? Some minimal customizable app that lets me play online chess and also looks good (or that I can make look good) consistent with my colors etc.

Attached: 1508843382249.jpg (705x960, 164K)

Coming over from /pcbg/, first time building a PC.

I've always used Intel and have had no problems with leenux, however AMD CPU's seem to have much better price vs performance.

Would I be fine going with an AMD processor? Probably one of the newer ones

Attached: 1511069198315.jpg (1024x734, 98K)

Lichess is great on Android (and FLOSS). Never found something nice for GNU/Linux through.

/fglt/ quads edition.

Why does one side of RMS's face look like Harry Potter?

That's Linus techtips.

Yes.
You might need up to date firmwares to mitigate some security concerns like with intel.

What is better nvidia non-free drivers or the free in regards to screen tearing? For the life of me I cannot get KDE to stop screen tearing.

xboard?

Attached: xboard.png (373x441, 177K)

free (nouveau) should be better for tearing.
But have you tried this solution for the proprietaries: gamingonlinux.com/articles/how-to-an-update-on-fixing-screen-tearing-on-linux-with-an-nvidia-gpu.8892

Using termux on android 9
I want to make a one click button that will ssh to my desktop and then kill certain proccess based on name
I've got the ssh part working but trying "killall X" sends me a command not found
I have this(using keys to auth)
ssh -p user@host
killall X
killall Y
killall Z

But it dosent kill anything

Try "pkill" instead. (pgrep and pkill go hand in hand, "pgrep -l " is good for seeing all the process that will be killed then "pkill " to do it)

No change, it just exits

install the package that provides killall inside the ssh session

What?
When you ssh you inherit the shell and everything setup on the system you ssh'd in to

Yeah, I have. I still see some screen tearing in firefox as I scroll. Its not as bad as before but still noticeable. The firefox settings below helped a lot to fix the major screen tearing.

Here are some of the things i've done.
kwinrc
MaxFPS=144

kwin.sh
export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
export __GL_YIELD=USLEEP
export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1

nvidia.conf
pretty much all the triple buffer and so on settings from nvidia-settings. I wasn't even getting the refresh rate correctly for each monitor until I swapped around displayport ports for some reason it was going to the 60hz monitor as default instead of the 144hz?

firefox
layout.frame_rate 144hz (or 0)
layers.acceleration.force-enabled true

>free (nouveau) should be better for tearing.
I'll try that out next.

Attached: 1539930668891.jpg (553x579, 42K)

I have a ubuntu VM on one of my PCs and I only use it for writing C. So I was just writting shit in an editor and it told me that I had no space to even save the text file.
What the fuck is this and how did I fill up 11GB? I did absolutely nothing but write C files on this VM

Attached: Capture.jpg (1620x828, 197K)

i was wondering if there is a way to install debian fromw ithin another functional debian install. i want to reinstall debian but i dont really have the ability to download the offline big ass iso (i dont know for sure if that even exists) and i dont have acess to an ehternet cable to use the mini iso or the netinstall iso. i do have a functional system (sid) with working wifi and wanted to install stretch from within it.

install gentoo

Does running any command work? Can you touch a file and have it appear on your desktop, for example? Or echo and pipe to a test file?

Yeah, chroot. But you don't need ethernet for netinstall, unless you have a shitty wifi card that needs gay ass drivers.
(Also Ethernet cables are like $3 so consider getting one, if not now then in the future - it's just one of those things that you never use until suddenly it's invaluable.)

I have no issues ssh'ing in to the system, i've got full control, its using this script file with termux to ssh and then run the killall/pklill command in one swift button press.

So replacing killall with e.g. touch test works, but specifically killall and pkill don't work? Very weird. You could try plain kill (with pgrep).

Does killall/pkill/kill work if you ssh by hand rather than through the widget?

I have the exact text below in a file in the .shortcut folder for termux and using it via the widget is the problem

ssh -p XXXX user@ip
killall X
killall Y
killall Z

If i open termux manually and do the same exact commands one by one, they ssh in, and kill the processes on the remote host.
I also have a second shortcut file that is just the ssh command above, it works

I'm getting a 2in1 laptop and until now I've always used ubuntu.
Since this will have a touchscreen will ubuntu be fine to use? Anything else I need for touchscreen support?

>If i open termux manually and do the same exact commands one by one, they ssh in, and kill the processes on the remote host.
Hm. And if you edit this script file to touch some random file INSTEAD of running killall, and then tap your widget, does that work? Sorry, you weren't very clear about this one.

Installing Debian on an old laptop with gen 1 i5-540M and onboard graphics soon. Apparently xserver-xorg-video-intel package is discouraged on processors older than 2007, this i5 is from 2011 I believe. What should I do instead?

then try which killall

Live in the tty
Also revise integer comparisons

More like command -v killall[/]
Don't use nonstandard and shell-dependent behaviour

>Live in the tty
I'd rather not

Noting runs putting in touch test.test as the second line behind the ssh

It exists on my system, of course it would be in the shell...

"which" is a binary in /usr/bin...it has nothing to do with shell functions

kill $(pgrep X)
or
kill $(ps -o pid= -C X)

>Noting runs putting in touch test.test as the second line behind the ssh
So there's a problem with the combination of using the script and executing ssh commands. Hm, no ideas right now, but it's an avenue for debugging.
>"which" is a binary in /usr/bin...it has nothing to do with shell functions
Some shells have it as a built-in (which would override /usr/bin), and I think even the standalone binary has multiple variants (though don't quote me on this).

Can anyone actually help me with this? I've just completely re-installed but got memory warning after few minutes