Hello, Jow Forumsangstas. I've currently got a PC with Windows 7 (64bit)...

Hello, Jow Forumsangstas. I've currently got a PC with Windows 7 (64bit), and I've really been thinking about wiping my harddrive and installing a Linux distro. I don't really play very many video games, and I feel that I need to get experience with Linux for my potential future employment.

Should I pull the trigger? If so what is your favorite variant of Linux. I'll be using my PC mostly for programming, so what would you recommend.
This is not intended to be a tech support question.

Attached: linux-penguin-security-100694867-large.jpg (700x467, 89K)

Yes, move to linux ASAP
I recommend Linux Mint or Pop!_OS to start

My ni/g/ga. Install Arch Linux. And if that fails, try Ubuntu instead.

Which of these would be best for programming, in your opinions?

Just configure dual boot. Than boot into linux for productivity and boot into windows for games.

Mint or Pop OS
Do not fucking install Arch Linux, it's a meme, I'll probably get a bunch of replies like "shut up faggot" or whatever. Just dont install Arch, save yourself the headache. You'll thank me later.
Pop or Mint

protip: XUBUNTU LTS
everything else is asking for trouble

shut up faggot.
JK
Whats wrong with Arch Linux? Is it difficult for new users to use?

Attached: BREAKHERASS&SHAKEHERASS.jpg (480x360, 9K)

Fedora is a good distribution to get started with, especially if you're going to apply the skills learned to a work environment. Fedora is (loosely) considered a test bed for real enterprise operating systems like Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) or its free and open source clone, CentOS. What's in Fedora now will eventually make its way to RHEL and CentOS, but their development cycles are much slower.

your post is a meme

use devuan

>Whats wrong with Arch Linux?
the wannabes on Jow Forums and brainlet enabler distros

this is terrible advice for someone who plans to use their skills in a professional environment. As much as I hate systemd, it's a reality in the enterprise world, and it would benefit OP to learn how to use an OS with systemd.

Not really, it's just a headache, shit will break on you if you're new. There's no point in using it when you can get what you need out of a more fleshed out distro. Mint and Pop are good if you're just now migrating from a more popular OS. Arch will turn you away

Just don't use any distro with KDE.

just get another drive to install linux on and have dual boot.

That may be what I do.

Linux is a bad general use home OS, you can get experience using VMs and WSL, and on a VPS if you want to actually deploy things.
If you don't NEED to use linux, just don't. Containerise your applications with docker, and if that doesn't work, then use linux.

And if you do, use ubuntu (or anything ubuntu based), anything else is just an absolute waste of time.

KDE is the least bad DE though

I'm torrenting Linux Mint 19.1 right now.

Attached: images.jpg (224x224, 4K)

dont fall for the linux meme

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1426382013980.jpg (244x300, 13K)

just make a partition and install some normie distro on it to begin with. take 24 or 34 Gb, the apps are usually a few megs on Linux.

What lang are you programming in?
If c#, stay on windows.

Linux is a better general use home os than windows if you aren't a complete retard.

Just get debian, install a gdi if you want and keep everything clean with virtualbox and docker. You can literally use fully fledged ide's running in containers.

And the best part: no forced reboots due to cancer updates which make your system freeze during shutdown.

But stay with windows if you are scared you could destroy your system, since windows is build with the mindset that every potential user is a normie retard who could do shit to the system.

Thats why they implemented a bunch of security features which protects the system from you: the dumb user

unironically install gentoo

Attached: 1544556665657.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

>thinking the average person wants to read man pages, log files, config files and is a retard if they don't

Yep, I sure do love having to figure out 4 commands, google 6 different things, read for an hour and a half to figure out how to fix my GPU drivers, or how to set up a default sound device.

Very cool. Must be retarded if you don't enjoy that!

Of course you don't have to read log files, like you did in windows ;) I wonder how often you used the windows event logger to troubleshoot problems.

You still have a graphical interface on where you can configure all that normie shit.

But Yes I love downloading spyware on windows just to create a pdf out of a folder of images. Much better than apt-getting one binary and dropping one command line.

>install gentoo
>if it fails try Arch instead
FTFY