Efficient way to encode videos

I will create a website similar to Netflix. I've had an almost "infinite" amount (of course it's not infinite, but it's impossible for me to use everything in less than 50 years) storage, but network traffic is a problem, every MB saved from the file is a great relief for me, the problem is that I do not want to reduce the quality of the videos.

At first I thought of simply going from H264, but I saw that the attractive of 99% compatibility of devices is something that gets barely visible when I realize that using the H265 or VP9 I get superior quality using less than half the file.
Among all the tests I did, the H265 was simply superior in all. The H265 brutally humbled the VP8 and "pretty much" surpassed the VP9, but more because of the coding time.

The VP9 files are 50% heavier than H265 for the same quality, but in compensation it's much more "compatible" with everything than the H265.
The problem with VP9 is the encode time which is somewhat surreal for my server. While I plug in the 60FPS with the H265, I'm encoding the 5FPS with the VP9.
So encode time is an important factor as well, which is why I did not even want to quote AV1 here, but even so I quoted to make it clear that AV1 is absolutely out of the question.

What do I do? The H265 is simply amazing, simply the best in the world, the only problem of this is the lack of compatibility.

Attached: HEVC-733x338.jpg (733x338, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slowpics.org/comparison/039e14ba-c827-4a52-901e-a4f538ce367e
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use a JavaScript-based video player that converts your video to h264 in the browser.
Several versions for HLS and shit exists.

>js
is this a fucking joke?

use the best protocol. if people can't play it, you save your bandwidth (win for you either way)

out of curiosity: what settings are you using with H265?

Just wait for AV1 to go fast.
slowpics.org/comparison/039e14ba-c827-4a52-901e-a4f538ce367e

Can you post a link to an example of h265 encoding blowing h264 out of the water at same file size?. I haven't seen an example of this yet.

x265 is only better than x264 at piss poor bitrates. That might be useful for a clean digital anime but not much else.

you want to start a legit netflix competitor? because licensing stuff will be hell.

fucking nonsense.
google it or download a movie in h265/HEVC and see for yourself. there's a huge difference in file size without noticable quality difference.

Just share out your plex library with your friends and be done with it. If Plex can't see the videos then whoever did the encoding must have used some real exotic format.

>google it or download a movie in h265/HEVC and see for yourself. there's a huge difference in file size without noticable quality difference.
Nah m8 most of that shit looks like ass.

>Nah m8 most of that shit looks like ass.
nah, you're just autistic.

H265 has multiple licensors and some of them demand loyalties for the distribution of the content encoded in the format. This is one of the reasons development of VP9 emerged and followed with AV1. In contrast H264 had a single licensor figure that didn't charge for any distribution, only for hardware implementation of the codec. If you don't have a business plan I suggest to not even think about H265 and plan for VP9 and AV1.
As for the encoding speed, what you are experiencing with VP9 is a result of poor multithreading. Google doesn't need it as they segment uploaded videos into 7 second chunks and then have those encoded on many machines all at once. Try this yourself for better performance and faster encodes.

I like having all my grain blown away too.

>muh grain
won't be there in h264 either, or be blurred. so go buy a bluray

A rare quality post on g

Attached: F6A3EA17-3D8B-48FF-A764-7DA76473463E.jpg (1535x2048, 433K)

enjoy 8 minute battery life on notebooks and phones, 100% fans on desktop computers
you fucking idiot

weebs know their shit, my dude.

x264 dosen't destroy grain by default like x265 and the current AV1 encoders.

A fair price to pay for being an apple cuck.

Only iShit garbage tries to rent seek content creators into using patented encoders and decoders like h.264 and not support higher quality patent free vp8 and vp9

What does it matter? The old 700mb per movie days are over with. Sure it made sense back in the day due to drive sizes being small and the cost per GB was on the high side. But now when you can get a 2tb or 3tb drive for under $100 that size constraint goes out the window.

Crank up the bitrate/size output and be done with it. MPEG-4/H.264 and Xvid/Divx or MP4/MKV is still perfectly fine if you don't limit yourself to the old "700mb" rule.

Drive capacity is cheap. Using a Codec/Container that will "just work" and playback perfectly fine on anything is worth more to me than fucking about trying to convert 200+ dvds (without taking into account the box sets) into a new format, even if it may be more effective at smaller sizes.

When will handbrake support AV1 so I can use it?

I hope never. Be like a damn domino effect then. Pirates will start to use it. Then all movies will be in the "new format" So then you'd be forced to upgrade your media server to support said format. or convert the new format movie into a "legacy" format for it to be supported. Simple is better sometimes. When something "just works" leave it the fuck alone.

Just keep your x264 encodes then.

nvm found it, need to find out what these options do though.

I don't like how it lacks the options x265 has, I use a lot of the options x265 has and av1 doesn't have it

Attached: 1527308030340.png (792x411, 17K)

That’s how Netflix is doing it.
Y’all don’t know shit and y’all will die ignorant.

Anyone know of a simple video editing tool for windows 10?
Microsoft has put down movie maker and the trimming tool in the photos app blows ass.
>got 40 minute video i need to trim
>start at 10 minute mark and just need the 5 following minutes
>set photos app to do this and minimize it
>app stops if you minimize it, amazing
>try again and let the window stay open
>takes a long fucking time for 5 minutes
>finally done the new file is 50% bigger than the original
>starts where i want it to but contains the rest of the original video too

Attached: 1417842731400.jpg (1002x960, 165K)

any gui for ffmpeg

Seriously. You can prove us all wrong. Save exact video, same length/resolution, different codec. Where is the proof?.

>where's the proof
literally any tv show episode and movie at any torrent tracker

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v libaom-av1 -crf 24 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -threads 16 -cpu-used 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -pass 2 -c:a copy -c:s copy -tile-columns 2 -tile-rows 2 -row-mt 1 -strict experimental output.mkv

Encoding on my 4790k at 0.2-0.4 fps

Attached: 1527778821188.png (774x413, 17K)

we will call it the criterion collection, fadsters will eat that shit up

my task manager, have shittons of stuff open at the moment.

Attached: 1547592373574.png (1188x904, 51K)

That's not true, they have all the encoding done server side, that's the reason they're AWS's #1 customer.