Honestly, GNOME is not a bad DE UX-wise. It's designed around keyboard use and does that nicely...

Honestly, GNOME is not a bad DE UX-wise. It's designed around keyboard use and does that nicely. The dreaded "tablet UI" allows easy keyboard navigation. How much of a RAM drain it is, however, cannot be excused.

Attached: GNOME 3.22.jpg (1280x720, 99K)

250 RAM is not much. In fact de-bloated gnome takes less RAM than my old setup with i3wm + polybar, but uses more RAM for caching.
For most people problems lay in other field.

Attached: gtkek.png (672x465, 65K)

How do you debloat it?

>RAM drain
GNOME 3.32 actually uses much less RAM.
Most of the used RAM you see in the GNOME System Monitor is just cached memory, so it's not really used.

open top and exterminate every single thing that looks unnecessary for you.

Attached: gnomed.jpg (184x184, 10K)

Looks likes an OS made for mobile. Use a real OS a.k.a Windows 10 Pro

I like gnome, but it feels not-quite-there still and sadly neither Canonical or Red Hat are throwing enough resources at it to really flourish.

I gave ubuntu 19.04 a try and it idles at 1.4 gb of ram, that is ridiculous.

Most of that is linux caching

Literally a tablet UI, there are no excuses.

see Run free -hm or top and look at the "used" memory. That should be what RAM is actually used. For me it's 600-700MB on Fedora 30, idle.

Not only is it a tablet UI, it's a tablet UI that can't even be used with a proper tablet. Bottom tier garbage, install gentoo, etc etc etc.

That's caching, much like Window keeps track of frequently opened programs and preloads them into memory the next time you log in

Yeah nah, it's shit.

>UX
I'm gonna need reddit to leave

>A
>FUCKING
>FOOT

Attached: gnome_logo.jpg (471x500, 24K)

kcmshell5 --list
kcmshell5 --list | grep key
kcmshell5 kcm_keyboard keys khotkeys

Why does the bar on the left takes up so much room? Why not have it at the bottom? Can it even do that?

>stutters with 8gb of ram and a gtx 1060
>INPUT LAG OUT THE ASS
lmao

It is a turkey, you moron.

I'm using a 10 year old PC running Win7 using VirtualBox to run Ubuntu 19 with GNOME and the fresh install with Firefox open uses under 5MB ram. The only stuttering I've found so far was when opening the volume slider while playing a 1080p 60fps movie running at 4,328kbps bit rate.

5GB*

>GNOME

Attached: 1555482160652.png (742x828, 151K)

Honestly I would use a mac If I wanted my os to decide what's best for me.

can't be bothered to use anything else, this just works and loads nautilus beforehand among other things. Fuck the retarded development splitting

>open top and exterminate every single thing that looks unnecessary for you.
actually, on a distro like ubuntu, a lot of services aren't needed for functionality. Also, when downloading new packages, it can auto-start new services.
so this, but unironically

RAM is irrelevant. The CPU and GPU horsepower it needs to avoid stutter and lag is unforgivable. A videogame lags less than GNOME. If you like the UI just use KDE, Budgie, Xfce or MATE and rice them to look like GNOME.

3.32 is really comfy

Attached: ss.png (1440x900, 1.15M)

it's meant to center around the windows key
what happens is you end up pressing it all the time, this is more of a game for a kid than a calm desktop for an adult which is xfce

>gnome less ram than i3
go lie somewhere else

except when you start chromium it won't be cleared, but start swapping

it's actually a psychological test

because our screens are wide and it's only shown in the overview

at least they haven't removed dnd - imagine if we couldn't do that

>Can it even do that?
With the help of an extension, yes.

For 3.32.1?

unlike windows, on gnu/linux if you don't like the look/ux you don't have to fucking reinstall the entire operating system, you just install your desktop environment of choice and continue with your work.

Dash to dock should support Gnome 3.32 since last month. Can't vouch for it myself though. I'm still on 3.30.

I mean you can chmod -x /usr/libexec/gsd* /usr/libexec/evolution-* but the first one makes a lot of shit work.
So I would chmod +x back the keyboard, backlight and sound ones

You can shrink it's width.

>A videogame lags less than GNOME
Gnome, ironically, is the best DE for playing videogames. Figure that one out.

It does.

no it shouldn't. I hate that extension so nobody should have it available.
t. installing gnome right now without any extensions

Attached: 2019-04-20-171010_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 263K)

Can confirm Dash to Dock works. Just installed it using the Extensions thing.

I don't know what these fag/g/ots are on about.. Gnome 3.32 only uses maybe 20mb, pic related.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-20 19-40-04.jpg (5120x2880, 1.33M)

and yes that's with dash to dock.