Anyone knows what the cause of this might be...

Anyone knows what the cause of this might be? I can't take a print screen of it so I tried to recreate how it looks in photoshop.
A semi transparent horizontal white line has started to appear, but only sometimes, on the top half of the screen. Every picture and video that I drag over it gets affected. On the right and left edges it is less visible and against black wallpapers or very dark videos it can't be seen at all. Graphic card drivers are all updated.

Attached: weird shit.png (2137x1202, 3.4M)

I have the same on my laptop, but the line is vertical instead. It's like there's a row of stuck pixels, it doesn't cross the entire screen for me. Can't say what it is tho or how it happens.

Could be a lot of things. Most likely your monitor or gpu. Maybe cables or motherboard?

I don't have a second monitor to try but both DP and HDMI cables show the same problem. The weird thing is that it can look normal for several hours and then suddenly appear for no real reason.

Is this KDE? I have the exact same problem except the line on my screen is pink. Doesn't happen when I boot Windows though.

KDE?

>Doesn't happen when I boot Windows though
I just checked and it doesn't happen to me either. It only shows up once windows has finished starting.

check your temps bro

I think it's short for Kuck Desktop Environment. It's a German thing.

>It's a German thing.
oh no

Plug another machine in to the monitor (a phone via otg-hdmi, a laptop, raspberry pi, anything you can find) and see if the issue persists

Alright. If it doesn't its the screen I guess, but what if it stays the same? One of my first thoughts was that it's some kind of screen bleeding like on OLED screens since the line is at the exact same height as my browser bookmark bar meets the webpage. But it makes no sense that it would only appear sporadically.

Here's a really odd thing. I've had something similar and it actually vanished when I turned of my Windows 10 transparency options for the theme. It would move depending on the location of my task bar.

I'm running Win7 with transparency already turned off.

user, don't tell me you bought a really cheap used card recently?

Have you tried not using a deprecated OS?

ldvs cable in the monitor is dislodged/getting hot

If it's not showing up when you do any kind of screen capture the problem lies somewhere in your cable or the display itself. Try swapping both out.

GeForce 780 that I have been using for many years without any problems. I did buy a new screen about 1,5 year ago though.

I've tried using different cables and I get the same result. And it only happens randomly so it's impossible replicate when the screen looks normal.

>I've tried using different cables and I get the same result.
LVDS cables are INSIDE your display. Try on another monitor.

ldvs cables are the cables inside the monitor casing that connect the panel to the circuit board. i've had it before where i've knocked my monitor and lines appeared on it because the cable dislodged

If it turns out to be the monitor, can it be fixed or should I just discard it?

It can be replaced if you're willing to fuck with it, but honestly I'd just use it as an excuse to get a new monitor.

Oh fug. I guess that's the last time I'm going with a modern Viewsonic screen.