What does Jow Forums think of Chromebooks/Chrome OS

Attached: 0CB7E063-C2D7-4AB3-895F-A86BAAC7261C.jpg (800x445, 66K)

My Samsung ChromeBook Plus is probably the best laptop I had. Screen is excellent, no 16:10 ratio, keyboard is passable, no noise or heat. Great for daily shit and shitposting.

It's the future of the Desktop Linux.

mom tier

All the cheap ones feel like cheap turds and the expensive ones defeat the purpose of a Chromebook.
Why can't they release something around the price of the Samsung Tab S5e with the same build quality and screen but on ChromeOS with a $100-200ish price bump for specs? Hell of a lot better than Android.

Epitomy of botnet

chromebooks are for ease of use without any significant chance of problems occuring, unlike windows which of course has a significantly higher chance of failures due to it's complexity and user customization
in this respect...
macs are just better chromebooks
not money wise, of course, but in the department of "computer which is easy to use and incredibly unlikely to exhibit issues"

i dont understand people who buy chromebooks for anything more than 100-200 dollars - it's like buying a fucking flip phone, you've crippled yourself in respect to what you can do

basically, only if you're really fucking poor, a cheapskate or retarded

We already have a thread about this shit.

I have a Samsung Chromebook 3, and it's a pretty good machine for just general browsing a shit. It lasts a lot longer than my thinkpad, so I just use it whenever I don't feel like sitting at my desk.

>i dont understand people who buy chromebooks for anything more than 100-200 dollars
Have you ever tried using a sub $400 (new) laptop? They're slow as fuck on Windows 10, far slower than ChromeOS. Windows is painful to use without an SSD.
You could install a Linux distro but we're talking about regular consumers here.

The best way to push Linux to the mainstream, too bad it has google botnet on it :/

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-19-10-46-18.png (1920x1080, 872K)

they made sense back when they were first created, but today fast storage is dirt cheap (you can get 120GB of local SSD storage for 15 bucks) so you can easily install a larger OS. No need for cloud BS either.

what kind of laptop are we talking?
because frankly i think of two different kinds:
the mobile desktop and the actual lap sitting on the go computer

the first one being a laptop that needs to be plugged in often, cant be without charging for more than an hour or two, and the ten hour battery life small computer

if you're speaking on the second, i agree. if you're speaking on the first, i completely disagree.
as an example, i have a macbook air from 2011, runs great, does well, lightweight, etc - yet it's battery life is completely fucked and every replacement on the battery i've done has failed since the power consumption is way too high
that thing, if i sold it, would probably be around 300-400 dollars; its perfectly reasonable to get a well running computer for that price if you compromise on size and battery life.

on the second i have to agree with you; but past 200 dollars and frankly, unless you are poor, a cheapskate, or retarded, you're better off just saving up more and getting a mid range laptop, one of those Xiaomi maybe.

a laptop is simply worth the investment; you're bad with money or extremely poor, (etc), if you arent willing to save a bit more for something thats not plastic and can do more than browse chrome

It has its pros and cons

Fhd screen
Touch
Portrait mode (convertible)
Amazing battery (+usb-c)
Looks not autistic to pull out in public
No noise

Cons
Shit os
Shit cpu (arm) so very limited linux options
4gig ram
Not as cute as thinkpads
Shit storage(can fix with high capacity sd card)

Chromebooks used to be great but Google has recently lost sight of what Chromebooks were originally supposed to be and now we're ending up with fucking expensive Chromebooks with a garbage fire of an OS that supports two different types of apps.
Glitches everywhere, weird redundancies, broken features, etc. Chromebooks are no longer worth buying over other laptops nowadays. The Chrome OS updating protocol is still godly, though.

RIP, thank you for your service.

>All the cheap ones feel like cheap turds
This wasn't always the case. The original HP Chromebook 11 felt pretty sturdy despite being entirely plastic. Built like a tank.

How good are they for Linux?

Chrome OS is already based on Linux, but I get what you mean.
Most Chromebooks have way too low specs and aren't upgradable. 2 GB RAM and 16 GB storage is nowhere near enough. So either get a Pixelbook / Pixel Slate or just get a different laptop, like a Thinkpad.

Well I don’t want anything Lenovo so unfortunately I think the Pixelbook is my best bet...1k lol

+ God-tier global hotkeys
+ Painless updates
+ Simple file system
- everything else

Are these the 150$ shitbooks with soldered 16gb SSDs?

No idea. It's not like I can test ChromeOS anywhere.

They make no sense anymore since chinks are putting out $300 aluminum decent laptops nowdays, like the Swifts etc

Dedicated Gmail/Google Docs hardware.
They're a good choice if that's literally all you use and you are poor.

I'ts like walmartbikes of laptops

Samsung laptops are surprisingly solid, even cheap ones. Never used their chromebooks, but $300 athlon laptop I owned was great.

You can USB boot one of the free versions like CloudReady. I did that on a crappy old laptop a couple years ago to see if/how it ran on weak hardware.

>Chromebooks
Decent hardware for to install Linux on, depending on the model
>ChromeOS
crap