Installs "stable" point release distros

>Installs "stable" point release distros
>Even the mint leader says apt fucks up on upgrades sometimes and it's better to make a clean install
>Having to clean install every 6 months, holy molly of cancer
>Meanwhile, the mocked neckbeard distro only has to be installed once.
Everyone here is a liar and a meme shitter.
Arch is fucking stable and solid as a rock. Don't install obscure cancer from the AUR and don't be lazy to update, it literally just works.

Attached: sq.jpg (474x266, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>it literally just works.
it does
The "Arch breaks all the time meme" is spewed by butthurt 2 digit IQ losers who tried and failed to install it and get laughed at for not being able to follow simple instructions.
They cope with this reality but convincing themselves that it's not their lack of brainpower, but it's Arch that breaks for no reason.
A somewhat experienced user knows when there's a problem 99% it's your fault

based aqua poster

Slackware does not have this problem.

Gentoo does not have this problem.

you see, while every other distribution gets to be reinstalled every once in a while, arch just inadvertently breaks in every single upgrade. While the reinstallation in other distros just works fine

based retard

Attached: 1555067160019.jpg (706x720, 95K)

based

>t. never used arch

>what is fdisk cryptsetup format open lvm mkfs mount swapon pacstrap grubmkconfig vi /etc/crypttab initramfs -u reboot
you are the retard here if you think brainlets like me can't easily install arch in 5 minutes

arch is for those too stupid to install Gentoo GNU/Linux.

works on my machine

I can read and follow the wiki for Gentoo just as easily as I can follow the Arch wiki. Gentoo is the real joke hobbyist distro.

Slackware doesn't have a user base or have the ability to install programs without taking days to figure out and install dependency chains. Its a dead distro for a reason, its only use is for running as the backend for kiosk software like Unraid or OpenElec.

I've been using Arch for a year or something and it has never broken. It's just a meme you idiot.

>Point releases
I use Fedora, and it just works regarding updates.
Also I get newest kernels and hardware compatibility is top notch.

>Gentoo is the real joke hobbyist distro
It's not a "joke hobbyist distro". a hobbyist distro? sure but I don't see how it's a joke apart from install Gentoo being a spammed meme on Jow Forums

Gentoo just isn't feasible as a daily driver. Having to compile everything makes it too much of a hassle.

Comfy as it can be

Attached: 1.jpg (1366x768, 72K)

It's such a fucking meme that not even the creator wants to use it.

>he couldn't install arch

It's a joke in that, any performance advantage you gain from "mastering" your OS, is lost to tedious installation and compiling. It's literally a practical joke for tricking pseudo's into wasting their time.

Install Gentoo is literally the I can haz cheezburger of tech memes,too.

I've never used gentoo but this can't be true. For what I've read it used to take a day back in fucking 2004 with gnome AND kde. Probably it's just an hour on a modern i7 for full kde or gnome from stage4

>stable means you have to reinstall
Install gentoo, it can be as stable as debian if you want.

Attached: arch copypate new version.jpg (1080x6626, 1.55M)

>criticism of Arch is that he can't use outdated software or leave his system unupdateded
Is this the best criticism that they have? why the hell would you want outdated programs?

>why the hell would you want outdated programs?
t. has never had a job

Yeah I'm a college student and I'm not familiar with wagecuckery. Are wagecucks forced to use outdated stuff on their home computers by their bosses?

>Are wagecucks forced to use outdated stuff on their home computers by their bosses?
Yes, you will see soon enough. Your My little pony arch desktop won't impress anyone.

>you may only use one OS in your whole life
employer gave me windows laptop with everything I need for work preinstalled so I use that, for my own PC I just use Arch though

The point stands: if you only ever use that latest bleeding edge memes then you aren't doing much with your computer. Which is fine, but not everybody is like you. Most people do like doing stuff that isn't shitposting, fagging in a TUI irc client or watching anime in the latest meme minimalist player that will never get a proper GUI.

openSUSE Leap will be just fine if you upgrade between releases

>if I'm retarded and keep breaking my install it's the OS fault, never mine, and if I can't handle it then nobody else can
seethe and cope more

the meme went full circle, at first it was:
obnoxious archfag:
>HEEEEEEEEEYYYYY GUISSE, DID YOU KNOW I USE ArCH BTW
now it's:
archfriend: *exists*
horde of non-archfags:
>get a load of this faggot poser thinking he's got something to be smug about, he has to fix everything every day because I said so

Attached: install fucking arch shinji.png (2300x2877, 1.52M)

>Arch never breaks packages, it's always the user
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253

Attached: 1515616087272.jpg (716x716, 110K)

>if you only ever use that latest bleeding edge memes then you aren't doing much with your computer.
I don't know about you, but all of my bleeding edge software works. I don't see why you would think otherwise.

Here is my thing, if your hardware doesn't change every second why does your software need to?

Nice plebbit macro post

linux is a garbage os for server engineers and autisic fats and trannies who argue endlessly about meaningless shit like text editors

why not get along frens?

Because Arch is only used by people who have not really used any other distros.

>Arch never breaks packages, it's always the user
>bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253
true, I update often and never got unbootable system so it's not Arch fault
RENT FREE
SEETHING

>The point stands: if you only ever use that latest bleeding edge memes then you aren't doing much with your computer.
I write programs with my computer all the time you moron. How the hell would having up to date software stop you from working?

Attached: brainletpit.png (1416x1600, 606K)

imagine being so mad some people found OS they like without distrohopping for years

Doesn't writing hello world in brainfuck dget boring after a while?

SEETHING

Imagine not trying any other distro and instead settling on the one that is memed by other retarded people, and which incidentally is one of the worst distros in existence

Attached: file.png (500x545, 456K)

I think he was referring to the fact that if you're doing production shit, stability is pretty important and you wouldn't use bleeding edge stuff on a box you're being productive on

up to date and bleeding edge are two different things

>one that is memed by other retarded people
damn, imagine having your fee fees hurt but some retardspeak and letting it dictate your life

arch is a cancerous meme for many reasons:

- It's "KISS", not in the sense of keeping engineering simple to avoid bugs and making things simple to understand but "KISS" in the sense of keeping it simple for the developer. Arch seems perfectly fine with including complex pieces of engineering that are known to oftentimes bug out, as long as they don't have to write them themselves. Someting like Void or Slackware is KISS in the former sense which leads to both systems being rock solid and typically devoid of bugs.
- I really dislike how Arch' packages are extremely large and how many things they dump together in one package. They don't split library from interface in packages or runtime libraries from their development headers, the latter of which typically being larger than the runtime library itself and almost never needed. Other systems split this off to avoid having unneeded things on your system
- "partial upgrades are not supported", as it stands I lie partial upgrades a lot and I hate to be forced to upgrade thing X in order to upgrade Y. If I want to keep X back and upgrade Y I'd like to do so.
- The entire system is devoid of policies, the developers basically make it up as they go along and change things when the want with no promises for the future. A lot of systems have strict public policies they adhere to so you know what you can expect when you install
- Arch' official repositories are super small compared to most systems, people often praise how large the AUR is, but that's a necessity beause you have to use the AUR for things most systems have officially maintained packages for. And the AUR is still a minefield, any maintainer of a popular AUR package could troll all its consumers at any point and just install spyware or whatever
- Pacman is unsafe, package scripts run as root and can do anything they want.

Maybe, but even still, most production type stuff doesn't really see anything major in terms of updates, beyond security patches. I have to wonder if using older packages in a work environment is simply a ploy to reduce work for sysadmins.

> used Arch as main desktop
> just core updates broke it 3 times in 1 year
> 1 time it was grub, 1 time it was the entire core utils, 1 time it was xorg (full breakage)

It's not TOO BAD I guess, but the "mom I am fixing my xorg" is very, very real. or was. this was a few years ago.

KISS is a reference to your ability to install as little as you want. I think it's a concept from days before netinstall versions were available in many other distros. Basically, it's not like Ubuntu, where a ton of packages you may not want or need, get installed. It's not really all that much of a unique selling point these days, and they should probably re-asses their whole mission statement. It's still a perfectly fine distro, regardless.

nice stockholm syndrome

>KISS is a reference to your ability to install as little as you want.
Arch packages have more forced dependencies than any other distro, since they enable all the features. Also KISS has been an acronym since the 1960s.
> their whole mission statement.
See pic related, the actual devs dont care about memes.
>It's still a perfectly fine distro, regardless.
Sure, if you ignore all my points.

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

beta testing for free, fedora has never had this problem on me even though it is testing ground for red hat, they always release without those kinds of problems

>few years ago
>bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=243253

>he feels the need to update constantly

Why?

>why the hell would you want outdated programs

Because new versions are usually turned into spyware.

That depends, but yes that can actually happen.

Ah yes, the "I'm a desktop ricer, don't take anything I have to say seriously" quintessential distro.

to avoid bugs that literally destroy your data

>See pic related
Literally everyone knows this. Simplicity and minimalism are not the same thing. It's actually nice to know that the current Arch devs care about a working distro.
>Sure, if you ignore all my points.
You are literally complaining that Arch is Arch. What else should we use?

>it's not ricing if i don't use arch
you tell yourself that spergy

>Because new versions are usually turned into spyware.
Based schizo. Make sure to never leave your basement as well to avoid turning into spyware yourself.

install Artix
free yourself from the SysD menace.

Isn't this that wingnut from CopperheadOS? He seems to turn on everyone he works with. Probably Aspergers as fuck.

Do y'all think Arch maintainers are taking the dev branch of all the software they package? The software in the official repos is stable, it just hasn't spent 3 months having patches installed in it like a Debian package

Use the testing repos if you want to simulate the meme version of Arch. By default it breaks less than Ubuntu

This guy gets it. Based Fedora.

Attached: thatfeelwhenusingfedora.png (442x293, 66K)

updating every day is super stressful. i can't even

Yeah, I've had good luck with rolling releases so far. Wish I'd discovered them sooner. Or maybe they're just improved to where they're good by now.

The only stable distro are Debian and CentOS. They're old as fuck though. Everything else is re-install or "mom cancel my meetings" tier.

>Even the mint leader
that got hacked multiple times and his iso's infected...
Long time debian user here. Nothing breaks like he described. Arch is damn solid too. Can't say anything bad.

>Everyone here is a liar and a meme shitter.
Why even come here? To you everything is a lie anyway.

Arch is easy as fuck to install and get running, I love it to death. But some of the bare bones stuff like config on the system is a pain. I'm new to linux so I guess it's that, but still.

>Bash and zsh have block squares where special characters go
>Can install Plasma fine and my own apps, make packages and install from the AUR without yaourt or anything
>Can't figure out how fucking xorg/xinit/dmenu work
>Spent the last 3 days trying to make i3 work and look pretty like on the desktop threads
>Get discouraged cause I can't figure it out for the life of me
>Can't figure out how to get fonts to work with the terminal
>Can't figure out how to work xterm
>Must be retarded
>Want to kill myself.

I'm just gonna stick with Arch/KDE Plasma i guess, I'm too low IQ for this shit

well, it was my own experience, but glad to see not much changed, lmao. lately I just use Manjaro in a vm to do dev work if I can't do something on WSL. other than that, I have enough interaction with Linux on my servers.

>look pretty like on the desktop threads
spoiler: most of the better looking ones are made with gimp, not actual screenshots

Continually blaming users when things break after updating is why Arch will never improve. It's probably better that way because elitists who use it want to pat themselves on the back for spending hours combing through conf files to fix their shit.

It's a matter of reading the i3 documentation and watching ricing tutorials for examples, user

More like
>archfiend

So you mean what you do on your daily driver is installing packages from the repository? I dunno, even on a distro that doesn't compile the packages, I install something once a month maybe after the system is set up. Honestly, what is it that you have to install every day and is as gigantic that the compiler would take more than 15 minutes to handle it?

>downgrading systemd packages from 240 --> 239 seems to have fixed it for me.. Now wondering if there is a bug..
lmao
install artix

OP here, thanks for all the (You)s. Arch is pretty good but if you want true stable and not having to re-install(there's always a risk but much inferior to the others)install Debian. Debian and Arch are the best Linux distros. The sooner you accept this the better for your own sake.