Is Ubuntu Disco Dingo good for gaming?

Attached: Ubuntu-19.04-Disco-Dingo.jpg (830x467, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anything linux is not going to be good for gaming, it may get better, but Windows is always going to rule the market.

why don't you try and see? it's free as in free beer so you don't have to worry about licensing + you'll have bragging rights on . make sure to make backups in case you fuck up if you decide to give it a shot, though.

Depends on game and hardware you lying faggot

I wasn't lying, I was just generalizing. Yes, it depends on the game/hardware, but in general you'd be better off on Windows because it has vast amounts of support compared to Linux. My steam library shrinks by like 100+ games when on Linux. My hardware isn't the best for Linux gaming either, so.

I never knew everytime I ran dd I wad running Disco Dingo, the Ubuntu latest release

>loonix
>gaming

Attached: 1555346467810.jpg (500x500, 43K)

have sex

pop os and manjaro

Attached: anthony.jpg (2960x1440, 1.17M)

>Unable to install drivers from the command line.

Attached: abookbyop.jpg (217x208, 7K)

Ubuntu is the worst GNOME distro. You need 2000$ hardware for it not to stutter on desktop. Normal Ubuntu isn't a desktop OS and is useless. If you want the Ubuntu base use Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu MATE, Linux Mint, or PopOS.

I'm running it right now, and it's more or less fine. But i've only been using Steam so far, i'll delve into Lutris in a bit.

Lutris is superb. Basically anything significant that's not on Steam has a Lutris build and it just werks

get a low latency kernel
mesa 19+ or git
up to date gpu drivers
and you're good with any distro
ubuntu seems ok

Lutris is good but if you need to install something pirated or non-listed PlayOnLinux is significantly easier and straightforward.

I'm having trouble install Wine 4.0 through the terminal on Ubuntu 18.04. It keeps bringing up a 404 error when I need to use the $ sudo apt-add-repository 'deb dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'. It then follows this with a long list of errors that most says something on the lines of "TARGET CNF is configured multiple times"

What do? I'm following the WineHQ instructions for the Wine Bionic release

this is some r*ddit tier technically correct niggerdry.

Works fine on Linux Mint 19. Are you sure you're using the correct Ubuntu version?
Here's what I did:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
sudo apt update

Try copy-pasting from here. Now just install stable or dev build with "sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable" or "sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel"

I've been trying to install a GOG game with it, but it seems to be breaking, according to the forums seem to say that Lutris is broken when installing native linux games on GOG

/v/ doesnt even know what linux or windows is you fat slob

I'll try that. I'm pretty sure that Bionic applies for the 18.04.02 Ubuntu relrase, right? I'll follow up soon. Thanks, pal.

Does distro actually matter? As long as you can install graphics card drivers and steam, which should be most mainstream distros, it probably doesnt matter

I've used it before, runs fine when you run the normal gnome-session instead of the ubuntu session. But yeah, shit defaults and horrible visuals

You don't really need Lutris for that, just double click the .sh file and run it as a normal installer. You can add a shortcut to Lutris later if you really want to, but it's faster to just open your start/app menu and search for the game rather than using a separate launcher (Lutris) and then opening the game. The whole idea of game launchers is autistic and backwards. Use Lutris as just an installer for WINE games or listed/supported games.

It should. Sometimes formatting gets in the way when copy-pasting from the web browsers. Though I haven't used Ubuntu LTS in forever so I have no idea if that version specifically has issues.

I'm still getting the same error after using that command: sudo apt-add-repository 'deb dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'

Any other solutions? Just reinstall Ubuntu and hope that works?

The typical GNU/Linux experience.

Shows i'm a fucking nerd, most of the games i like are already native to Linux.

Dubs give me strength

In that case go into your software and updates and check to see if you've already added the repository. You may have added it twice so just delete extras. Worst case scenario you'll have to revert to default repos.

For me it's streaming games from my desktop via Steam In-Home streaming feature

So far i'm finding it incredibly natural, gnome is fine, i swapped the default Ubuntu dock with Dash2Dock but as a whole i'm finding it snappy and intuitive, terminal shenanigans aren't too steep a learning curve, but 90% has been copy and paste.

Only ongoing issue is Pulseaudio seems to fail intermittently giving me static-y audio, but it's more or less solved with just a terminal command.

Woah! That definitely looks like it was the issue. It appears I've added this repository a fuckton of times. I'm going to see if this works. Thanks, buddy.

To be honest i think one of my long term projects is going to be a home server with it's own dedicated GPUs for streaming to my client computers.

>fuckton of times
Weird. I thought apt throws a warning and ignores duplicate entries.

It works well, but I probably wouldn't do fast paced fps on it.
Currently playing witcher 3 and it's comfy to play on my small bed laptop with modest specs but maxed out

never install non-lts *buntus

It worked. Thank you so much, pal. Now I can get back to work.

Attached: file.png (554x491, 490K)

How's KDE Neon for gayming? What about non-botnet *buntu distros in general?

Yup. All Steam GNU/Linux games are tested in Ubuntu.

>Does distro actually matter?
Sort-of. Intel's got their own not very popular distribution called Clear Linux and they are doing some pretty darn interesting things with it. Their kernel has some patches not commonly used and they have a lot of special configuration options for the kernel. Clear Linux really does perform better than the rest of the distributions both when running games and specially doing things like database workloads.

Apart from that.. which driver version and so on is used matters. Distributions using old software and old MESA - like Debian stable - tend to perform worse than something using more bleeding edge versions of packages.

But... generally speaking, if you run the same desktop with basically the same X version and MESA version then there's little difference between one distribution and another. See
two distributions using the MESA 19 graphics stack will probably perform pretty much the same, but a distribution based on something much older like MESA 10 will be different.

OH NONONONONO

>not gentoo
kys

Yeah its okay
Can play almost all games that came before 17
Anything current like sekiro will maybe need another month or two to run properly

you can probably play most of your steam library either via native support, proton or wine. it's either it works 100% (granted might need additional dependencies/wine tweaks) or not at all.

I would agree that Ubuntu is the best Linux distribution for gaming. Besides the support of several game catalogs, it also arguably has the most support for the easy deployment of graphics drivers as well as other hardware for laptops. Steam is probably the best client on Linux for gaming due to it's large collection on Linux games and proton (A compatibility layer for windows) . Ubuntu also has repositories for pretty much all game console emulators.

Any distro has basically the same capability as any other, It's just Ubuntu desktop is set up in a way that's optimized for consumer hardware. A configuration that games are themselves optimized for.

Also with Vulkan becoming much more prominent more and more games are being ported to Linux just because it's easier to do so. Heck, I've been playing Warhammer Total War II and while technically it doesn't run as well on Linux (It is a port) The fact that I can play an official port of it on Linux is maybe a sign that gaming on linux will become more prominent in the near future.

sekiro has run perfectly since launch with proton

Its worth it. You lose access to shitty online DRM games and thats about it.

Yes and a million other non-AAA games or games made by small studios.
Judging by benchmarks, you'd rather be running fedora workstation instead, on some minimalistic DE.

Linux gaming is trash right now. For every game that works, there's one that doesn't. Hopefully, by 2020 Proton will be mostly glitch-free.

isn't steam using lts?

Surprised to see this kind of retardation from Jow Forums

With Steam Proton and DXVK, Linux gaming has actually become viable.

Get with the fucking times grampa.

Unless you like reinstalling your OS once a year, there's no reason to use the "regular" release over LTS.

>Yes, it depends on the game/hardware,
it doesn't really. dx9c has been native for a long while

>PoP OS
dude , it's just Ubuntu re skin

Guys i'm literally retarded. Every time i've installed lunix something critical has fucked up.
If i install Ubuntu, what are the odds that i'll get everything working(wifi, mouse drivers, headset drivers, etc etc)?
I want to give it a shot, seeing as i care less about games now and more about the cia nigger menace.

Attached: 1505797456522.png (477x296, 12K)

Linux isn't the place to be if you don't like glowinthedarks, move to OpenBSD

I actually tried that, i told you i am one of simple mind. BSD required too much learnin and not enough clicking next on the wizard.

You can literally hit the return key like 6 times to install OpenBSD

Installing it isn't the problem, it's getting shit set up after that. I legit have a learning disability, so i can never quite get it down, and every time i need to do something i need to re-learn it.
I just want to be a freetard.. It might be too much.

Well if you want to escape CIAs you need to avoid systemd and SELinux which both have strong ties to NSA

lel poorfags

>not letting user blow smoke out his ass
cmon

in the case of ubuntu isn't a toss up? mostly comes down to mismatched dependencies and then you have a ppa frakenstein for newer (i.e. nightly) software
every 6 months at least the minimum is raised

You a God, God.

Just install Ubuntu without non-free/propietary shit. The installer has a checkbox to install propietary drivers. Don't click it. Also, don't use non-free repositories.

After that, you're set. Your chances of successfully installing Ubuntu look good.