Linux for actual advanced users

What distro should someone who knows its way around Linux install?
I'm on Fedora currently, should I install CentOS since I can build perfectly everything I need for it? Gentoo? Slackware? Or should I just install the latest Ubuntu?
CentOS has my attention since I hate upgrading and adjusting for new settings often, I just want to setup once and leave it be. I can't even start to consider Arch because I've had xorg stop working after upgrading. It's just poorly maintained and doesn't even support partial upgrades (absolutely none security backports or just a flag for upgrade things needing security fixes). One of the shittiest distros for users of any kind.
I could consider Slackware since it's heavily shilled in linuxquestions.org

>inb4 gnu/linux copypaste
grow up, it's called the Linux Operative System without any need to mention those freetards

Attached: Screenshot_from_20190415_182130.png (1024x768, 294K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxfromscratch.org/
linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/gentoo-vs-slackware-176750/page2.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-50-march&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it doesnt matter
its moreso about what software you use in linux

Debian.

>know's IT'S way around linux
Oh no no no no go back underground lizardman we're not telling you how to take over

>know's it is way above linugs

Attached: 1511730860996.webm (1920x1080, 2.98M)

linuxfromscratch.org/

I feel like if you would be an "actual advanced user" you would already know what distro you should use.

if you were an advanced loonix you wouldn't be asking that
you're just a poser like 95% of this board

>I can't even start to consider Arch because I've had xorg stop working after upgrading.
Use wayland, it's way better. No screen tearing. I use sway and I'm never looking back.

Debian

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1522508621236.png (1000x451, 111K)

guixsd, crux, void

found the archtard

GuixSD is THE endgame distro.

Attached: 1530550864244.png (814x576, 257K)

Actually, I regret even responding seriously to your thread before reading that last sentence.
You're the one who needs to grow up and learn to think for yourself instead of just thinking with your meme goggles on. And there's memes on both sides.

truth hurts gnumale

just use windows bro

thought about it for 0.5s but I remembered how windows has a shit terminal and forced upgrades

7*

>grow up, it's called the Linux Operative System
kek

Attached: tasty buttertears.jpg (600x539, 35K)

>Not basing distro choice on screenfetch logo appeal.
>Do you even Jow Forums?

I wish I could be this meme, I think slackware, Centos, gentoo and scientific have the coolest ascii art

I've been using canoe plus lonix on my laptop for about a year and want to install it on my desktop, do I have to disconnect every drive but the install target before installing?

firefox and prpbably gimp still need xorg (xwayland)

no, even if you do an automatic installation in ubuntu I'm pretty sure it will still ask which drive do you want to install to

Too bad there are still a lot of software that doesn't support wayland

Firefox already has wayland support, it just doesn't come enabled by default.

Real mature.

If we talk about getting to know in detail your machine and spending the time to get familiar with your sytem I agree with Slackware but consider to get familiar with the package manager (PRO tip: there is one). Also consider Gentoo for this same purpose. As the other package managers are restrictive in the matter of what you want to do, and as advanced users you just know the package manager is what makes a distro.

If we talk about learning experience then LFS, no doubt. Unless you know how to port another package manager which means you can use your LFS forever.

Now, in my personal choice I went with CRUX. Is more than ideal to advanced users who want to dominate their machines. The package manager is easy to maintain to the point you are the maintainer of your own repository of ports and the CRUX init scripts are easy to hack.

Good luck.

Attached: sup.png (1280x800, 496K)

>Fedora
No reason not to stick with Fedora unless you can't deal with the update cycle
>CentOS
CentOS with a couple of Flatpaks should be acceptable but there are much better options for desktop
>Gentoo
Gentoo is a great distro with a good number of packages but maintenance can be difficult (check out Sabayon if you really want to go the Gentoo route)
>Slackware
Slackware is acceptable but enjoy your compile times because Slackware has no packages
>Ubuntu
Ubuntu is good but Debian is better if you can handle a little extra work
>Arch
You are right to avoid Arch. It has no packages and you have to go into the malware infested AUR if you actually want packages.
>Debian
I currently use Debian for everything (technically I'm using Raspbian for my Pi-Hole). 2 Laptops, 1 Desktop, 2 Servers, 1 Media Streaming Box, and 1 RasPi. Debian with a couple of flatpaks fits all of these use cases nicely.

>wahhhh please give me credit for writting college undergrad project tier tools
>fedora
yeah Fedora is pretty good, I don't care about abandoning systemd. If I were to go gentoo I would still install systemd because pulseaudio and network manager are a great lift in the ease of setup.
Though I feel like fedora uses more resources than centos and debian on idle. LXDE live usb starts at 300MB, and bare tty from minimal install used around 200MB. I don't care about ram usage but this is probably using daemons that take cpu cycles and thus battery.
>Debian
I don't like that debian likes to do things on its own way, I feel red hat has a more standard way of doing things rather than making a lot distro specific tools, and apt is good but is not dnf/yum. It doesn't have groups like dnf, less powerful even if it has the apt deb-build which is useful.
But I remember battery lasted the longest here, even compared to Fedora which has a newer kernel.
Do you mean the stretch? I installed a partition with debian and I'm already upgrading to buster since it's freezed already.
I feel like probably I should be using CentOS for my tastes, since I like red hat/fedora ways of doing stuff a lot, but I don't like the frequent upgrades. Maybe I should stay in buster until CentOS 8 is released. Funny thing is, CentOS almost always has newer desktop programs than debian stable, right now is gnome 3.28 vs 3.22 in debian, and mpv like latest or 0.27 vs 0.23 in debian, and so on. Plus you can compile a newer kernel or install from an external repo

>I don't like that debian likes to do things on its own way
Yes, the fact that they rename packages is fucking annoying at times
>apt is good but is not dnf/yum.
Can't argue with that. Apt is behind the times in many respects
> Do you mean the stretch?
Yes, I will stick with stable until the official release
>I feel like probably I should be using CentOS
Yeah, go for it. I've played around with Fedora but never CentOS. This tread makes me want to install it in a VM.

>actual advanced users.
You came to the wrong place.

Which other kernels does GNU work with?

CentOS Chad here..
ATM, CentOS 7 is pretty fucked for desktop, the software is just too damn old!!! I'm talking little shit like the GCC compiler.
CentOS 8 should be dropping in a few months, I'd try to wait if possible. The new version will be on dnf instead of yum, should be tight.
Otherwise, install Debian.

Debian is not advanced.

It's a bit of a pain finding dependencies to build stuff on debian, and also harder to later delete them since it doesn't keep track of transactions like dnf/yum. Plus it's a pain to write .debs compared to .rpms
bro you can have gcc 8, install the latest dev toolkit and read how to enable it, it's all in red hat developers or red hat documentation

you unironically have to know your way in the shell because the debian installer is such a piece of shit compared to anaconda.
I just fucked up an encrypted partititon and recovered it from a usb backup, then tried to install again but I did the setup on the shell first with cryptsetup and lvm, after installing it didn't enable the prompt for encrypted devices so I went and booted a fedora live iso to configure it, addded the cryptab line, chrooted and regenerated initramfs. Actually I forgot to add my old /home partition so I'm gonna add that right now from the shell, all of this could have been done without problems on GUI from fedora/redhat. I think it's also possible with the gnome disks gui to add afterwards but I just make do it in the terminal to be sure.
Like Linus said, debian is hard as fuck to install

Hurd

NeXTSTEP

Plan 9's, courtesy of your friends at HarveyOS

Wtf
I made many Debian installs recently and ALL of them worked perfecltly.

Whenever i see people shitting on Debian install, i always assume that they're referring to 90's or early 00's.

installation in clean machine is fine on debian, but try to install in a machine that already has encrypted devices. This is trivial in Red Hat and Fedora, but not in Debian

Nvidia doesn't support Wayland. If you want GPU acceleration for shit like encoding video you're absolutely fucked. Nvidia has always been pricked but nobody expected them to have such a bug up their ass about Wayland. Not to mention a large amount of programs don't work on Wayland. All of the suckless tools need to be ported over, they're designed around the X server so even shit like st doesn't work. Absolute trash programs, this is why I only use urxvt.

based and fuck suckless
>written from dwm which is soon to deprecate ttf fonts

Attached: 2019-04-20-182707_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 214K)

NixOS

Gentoo or LFS

thread should have ended here tbf

building from source yourself is not going to make packages magically faster, this is true even for ancient processors.
linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/gentoo-vs-slackware-176750/page2.html
Though I see why you would want to build the packages yourself for different reasons. But performance is not one of them.
And LFS it's a meme, just get straight to the kernel documentation or the project you are interested in, hacking together an operative system is not had nor it has valuable information.

Crux,you piece of shit.

>linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/gentoo-vs-slackware-176750/page2.html

I'm sorry, but can you link a more recent thread to support your argument than one from 2004?

Advanced faggotry.

>what is reading comprehension
no, it's exactly because it's old my point stands you fucking subhuman. People didn't notice a difference in speed back then so they just went back to slackware, so why would they now that our processors are fucking 10 times faster than then?

not him, but here you go

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-50-march&num=1

Gentoo
Slackware
Free/OpenBSD (NetBSD if you are running on esoteric platforms)

Attached: 1372168539317.png (776x519, 23K)

Move on to an actual Unix system like Solaris. OpenIndiana is a decent place to start. There's also Tribblix if you aren't afriad of CLI installers.

The best Linux experience is probably CentOS with NEXTSPACE

Attached: NEXTSPACE_Screenshot.png (1920x994, 169K)

actual enterprises moved away of solaris some time ago, they now use centos/redhat/debian/ubuntu

I don't recommend Gentoo for speed. It's for control

So what? You aren't running a billion dollar server farm. You're picking an OS to run on a shitbox or two in your mom's basement.

you should value your time more than some company's time

Arch GNU/Linux

>the tripfag uses arch
What a shock

this tripfag mostly shitposts, he uses like almost every distro on different hardware

I currently have Arch on my laptop and main desktop HDD, I've been delving deeper into Linux, is LFS a good idea, just for learning?

I'm planning on doing some distro hopping anyway

no. instead read how to setup qemu, basic regex, bash, red hat docs on actual utility of linux on the industry, and so on.
Distro hopping is useless for learning.
You could also learn to setup lvm, cryptsetup and so on from scratch so it boots and prompts for a password, etc. Focus on actual shit you think is actually useful.
Reading man and documentation of the packages you want to use is your best friend. Stop ricing minimal wm or desktops, just use the default DE and get to do that shit in virtual machines.

Okay I bought another SSD I was playing on putting Ubuntu on to play around with VMs, I haven't hit that point from what it seems Ubuntu seems popular for that. I'm going through a BASH book currently and starting to actually work with scripts and stuff. I also have a kernel book etc. but just taking it book at a time and trying to actually learn

The manuals help a lot, I'm trying to rewrite them with common things and keep a list of commands that seem useful so I can retain what I know and at least have a general idea the command I'll need, and read manuals for params as necessary

Not as in complicated to use, but it's good for advanced users who want an easy to configure system without too much bloat.

Install Gentoo GNU/Linux.

>actual unix system
Why would I ever want to do that?

Attached: out.jpg (1280x720, 93K)

Imagine actually using centos with GUI

god help us

you know there is a lot of professional gui programs that literally only run in centos? fuck off redditard, CentOS is perfectly fine with gui and it's been one of its intended purposes since version 1. Go back to you riced arch linux

I know cli scares you. I'd just keep Ubuntu installed you "advanced" user

/thread

No one is "scared of the cli" here, you dumb NEET. I doubt you ever even used reverse search in bash.

probably slackware.

>haha scared? xD
thanks, now I know you are retarded and you are just trying to say something to look smart.

I'll probably try this too, though it looks like it has very few developers

>picrelated

Attached: IMG_20190421_084208.png (1080x345, 45K)

Advanced user should already know what to do with linux

Hannah Montana Linux

a lot of GNU software (90%) will be usable in RedoxOS when it gets working

RedoxOs is full microkernel fully writen in rust

Actual advanced users are simply using debian/ubuntu or red hat/fedora. They don't need some ebin arch/gentoo/LFS/whatever rice autism setup, they just want to do their job.

>Actual advanced users are simply using debian/ubuntu or red hat/fedora

Not if they dislike systemd they're not.

>Linux for actual advanced users
>it's called the Linux Operative System without any need to mention those freetards

go back to Windows dipshit

Solaris is trash, OpenBSD and FreeBSD are the only acceptable Unices.

for a desktop system it really doesn't matter that much

I'm running a riced Fedora install w/ i3 and I could give a fuck about systemd, it's not like I'm running LAMP locally or anything, everything is in containers.

The Linus quote to which you are referring was a long time ago, they've consolidated many parts of the Ubuntu installer into Debian it seems like today it's very simple. If you screwed up your encryption that sounds like your problem, which makes it funny that you are proposing anything as an advanced user.

Attached: IMG_20190401_114015.jpg (3036x4048, 3.77M)

nice idea for the window name on the bar with a different background, I'm stealing it.

The fact that people don't care about systemd is precisely the best argument against systemd.
Why running such a vulnerable, unnecessarily complex piece of software if you don't even use what it offers?

This, but unironically. It autistically complains about missing firmware even with thhe nonfree iso. Plus, it requires fiddling for wifi even with them.
I had unironically less problems installing Gentoi.

Linux From Scratch
Origami

I completely agree but until they remove it I'm just going to keep using my system the way it is because I deal with servers that run the same shit on a daily basis.

>Arch broke Xorg meme
>muh backports
Completely irrelevant in the era of virtualization and containers.

Attached: 1539200277041.png (450x550, 342K)

stop saying buzzwords, you don't understand what you are saying.
if there's no CVE unpatched it's good enough. Firefox is even bigger than systemd and is perfectly audited

slackware or mx

retard, you can't install debian on an already encrypted drive with just the installer. you need to use a shell you stupid Debian tranny

The problem with systemd is not that it's big in itself. Hell, I'm not even a fan of software minimalism in general, nor a Unix philosophy advocate.
The problem is that it's way too large and too complicated with respect to what it's actually supposed to do. Size is relative.
Firefox at least can be partly justified by having to handle the monstrosity that is the modern Web, for example. But systemd has no excuse, considering that smaller, more functional alternatives ALREADY EXIST, and unlike what shills say, they do work well.

Attached: b035a7aed78d45e005f90ec7797d4c93.jpg (2928x4096, 1.08M)

Gentoo, Arch, or Fagware are all fairly technical

Attached: D1FWCkgU4AAw36B.png (800x800, 202K)

Sounds like the more "advanced" distros you go for just keep getting harder and more unstable like the issues you ran into with Arch and Slackware. Ever tried opensuse yet? Install the jeos version and you literally have to build off of it. Doesn't even have man pages by default so it's pretty fun.

openrc Gentoo here
Works just fine.

And get this: I can boot my system as read only root and it will run just fine.

Attached: 1555778629769.jpg (601x262, 159K)