Help me pick TV

I can't decide what to go for:

>$475 for a TCL 65" 4-Series
or
>$540 for a TCL 55" 6-Series

I do like the bigger screen size, but according to rtings the 6-series outperforms the 4-series. rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-r617-vs-tcl-s405/613/449

Attached: tv.jpg (1249x747, 183K)

65 incheroo

more inches isn't necessarily better, user-kun

Install gentoo

Attached: 1492743811504.png (396x382, 173K)

Don't pay less than $500 on a TV. Also how far away will you be viewing it?

4 series

The bigger TV is better than having local dimming. The cheaper local dimming TVs don't have enough dimming zones so things end up looking bloomy.

It's adjustable, I haven't made a decision. Does it matter, really?

VIZIO E

Always invest on panel quality/res/size, rather than on smart capabilities. Remember you can still get a 30$ FireTV Stick for that.

get the 6 series.
the 65 is big but it's not as good of a deal

also this. get the 55 then save up for 3 yrs to get a future tech 85. use the 55 for whatever

nowadays, every tv is smart. you can't just get a dumb tv with a good panel anymore

You’re not getting out of getting a smart TV, “dumb” TVs don’t exist much anymore

Imo, hell with both. Get a 65" Samsung and enjoy life. I got a 65" samsung. Very nice picture. I sit a good distance from it as to get a "movie theater" like atmosphere. Everything looks nice on it. 4x3 content don't look all stretched/distorted when it fills the screen. standard 16:9 content looks nice to.

Thanks user, that makes sense. I was thinking of just futureproofing right now (out of college) and down the line in a few years buying a huge 70" OLED maybe

>4k
what is this 2014 again?

Fuck that. How big is the space your wanting to put the tv? That's the first question you need to ask. The 2nd is how far are you gonna sit from it. Chances are you won't need that fancy 70 - 80" in order to fit your needs.

Retards; I see people with little ass living rooms crammed up all with some large ass set and a couch with there eye's almost touching the screen. Totally overkill not to mention killing your eyesight.

why not just wait till the end of the year when these TVs will drop 50% in price? lmao

Then you also gotta consider this: Your movie rips. Most were made to look good xx size set. How do you think they'll look on a monster 80+ incher? Be like trying to enlarge a 4x6 photo to a poster size; results like shit. Do you really wanna re-rip 1000+ movies, especially if you don't need such a large ass tv in the first place.

Around 7 feet away from the screen, but I can always go further back I guess. The wall is empty right now so I have a hard time picturing a 55" vs 65" but I hear ya, I don't wear glasses and I don't intend to

I don't mind user, I'm on HDB and I have my own 40TB server.

You'd have to be a retard to go for the 4 series tbqh. The colour coverage, peak brightness and viewing angles of the 6 series absolutely shit all over the 4 series.

TCL is garbage but it is your money.

>TCL is garbage
except that no they aren't.

anything below the 6-series shouldn't be considered good at all and yes below $1000 the 6-series is the best entry level purchase apart from vizio or some LG counterparts

Okay anons,
I have got 100 bucks to buy a good tv.
what should I do?

Buy used RCA 32in from Craigslist or some shit

Get the 65". TCL is low-end so it doesn't really matter which you pick in terms of features.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

>TCL

I got a vizio pq 65 its really nice

depends on how many dimming areas it has, if it's only 16> then up to 55" is optimal

Attached: viz.png (974x466, 157K)

>TCL
Is this some cheap Chinese brand?

Why do Americans buy shit brand tvs.? Don't you have Samsung or Sony in clapistan? You guys always get shit crap like tlc or vizio.

Sorry to change to change the subject of this thread but OP is a shit. What even is the point of smart TVs? why would you want to put a computer inside your TV? We have like 7 computers an houses now why not use one of those to plug in to your dumb tv. They're going to be connected anyway in the case of blueray players cableboxes or game consoles even.

I'm not buying a tv until freesync tvs become a thing 2bh

Since I don't have a 4k drive or ps4 yet I use the built in computer to watch 4k Amazon and Netflix

We do have Samsung and Sony it's just alot of TVs get sold at places like Walmart which carry alot of Vizio and TCL and both brands are usually have lower prices

Smart TVs make it easier to access 4k content if you don't already have something that can

Samsung updated some of their 2018 TVs with freesync through a software update
HDMI 2.1 has VRR as a feature so when 2.1 rolls out alot of models should have some form of freesync/VRR

That's pretty good to hear actually

Newer series the better when it comes to Chinese stuff. They make leaps and bounds every generation but the early gens start out really bad.

65 obviously.
Or projector if you can place it.

6 series is a worthwhile step up

In retrospect I would have bought the model with bluetooth so I could watch kino with headphones

You can get a 7 series Visio for $400 that’s gonna actually be HDR. TLC day they’re HDR but they don’t display it. They can only take in signals.
t. Best Buy wage slave

Do make sure about any warranty you can get. Do not buy a TCL without a year, hopefully a two year warranty. I don't know how TCL's in house warranty is. I have seen a few of them have backlights burn out within few months so I would really want to make sure it will last. Samsung's seem to be decent so far. LG's have a common color issue too.

if he is looking at 2019 models they wont see too much of a drop. Usually last year, two year old models or cutdown versions get the black friday treatment.

>HDR
Literally what content supports HDR? This reeks of a meme.

Been in the states a couple years. Chinese budget brand. Good value for low end though, especially with roku integration. QC issues though.

That and most TV's have bad HDR anyways. Some have Dolby but most are just HDR10 and even if you get dolby they can just use the signal but dont have the lighting to really do much with it.

It’s a marketing thing.

A lot of 4K movies will say They are HDR (High dynamic range). You get whiter whites and darker blacks*. There is a difference to that, regular 4K, blu Ray, etc. *on an OLED you won’t have to worry about this.

What I was saying is that 4K HDR is the top. And that’s why almost every tv will say it’s “4K and has HDR!” But the thing is that they WONT play in 4K HDR. It will only take in 4K signals. I.e marketing team got you to buy into their ploy.

Now some TVs, your $500+ ones will more than likely have it unless it’s TCL, Hitachi, Westinghouse, etc. go for an LG, Sony, Samsung, or Vizio.

>Roku TV
Roku OS is a walled garden OP, how do you not know this?

Attached: 1555827946066.jpg (960x640, 269K)

there is only ONE RULE when you are going to buy a tv user

go check them by your self

this

i will also urge you to find a tv without any smart shit on it and save money to buy a mi box s

at least its had youtube for the past couple years

>tv without any smart shit
hope you want a 19inch trailer tv user

Imagine being this retarded

Attached: 1555829071.png (728x1170, 166K)

>tv without any smart shit on it

Attached: television.jpg (934x518, 37K)

you wont

i mean vizio monitors will simply not work anymore if you dont accept their TOS you know that?

>imagine not knowing the difference between accepting HDR signals and actually displaying true HDR.
Yikes

>TCL
There's trash quality of software and then there's TCL

>Don't you have Samsung or Sony in clapistan?

Yes but the days of "good brands" are gone.
All of these companies are building with a cluster fuck of part suppliers.
If you want to ensure you are getting quality you have to do research on the individual models because you can pay all this extra money for a Samsung or whatever and feel real good about it but in reality they are putting the same mediocre AOC screen in that specific model as the $500 tv has.
They've all been cranking out a lot of defective shit with all sort of other issues too.

what ever happened to the ubuntu tv?
i want a smart tv that has proper support for an advanced media user. is there something for me?
basically i want to to have as many different ports as possible so i can use anything from legacy hardware to displayport. i want it to have an os that is free of fucking ads or stores and has advanced functionality built in like automatically looking up schedules on the internet and recording tv shows while ignoring ad breaks. i want it to stream shit from my NAS and support as many video formats as possible. i also want its interface to not be slow as fuck.
currently i have a 2016 4k samsung smart tv and its fucking horrible.

tl;dr: is there an enthusiast grade smart tv with no bullshit that is useful for someone with advanced media needs?

Attached: 1511829759718.gif (270x360, 958K)

So what TV displays "true HDR"? How many nits of brightness is needed?

>outperforms
honestly, I find most of it is marketing.
a display is either shit or not shit, you're not side-by-side comparing them ever anyway, so get the bigger screen.

Plug a pc into any tv and there you go. Anything else is useless if you want actually advanced features.

1000nits is true HDR,

Attached: hdr-monitor-release-date-1024x571[1].jpg (1024x571, 58K)

Which the TCL surpasses.

Is it really impossible to get a regular TV that doesn't have glow in the dark software on it?

Bullshit. It's less than 300nits

Attached: nits.png (976x1031, 305K)

Just don't let it connect to wifi or ethernet.

>S-Series

OP clearly shows a screen shot of the S series. and even mentions the 65" 4 series which I clearly went through the trouble of finding a review.

The article also mentions the P series @ just over 500 nits is still not HDR 600.

That's last year's model.

Ok, the exact model TCL-55S425 as posted by OP's screen shot is about the same.

Attached: nits.png (934x1038, 221K)

And the 2019 6 series easily hits 1000 nits.

The fuck is a 7 series. And it's Vizio not Visio.

>t. Best Buy wage slave
Yep, we can tell from your lack of knowledge.

>But the thing is that they WONT play in 4K HDR.

lol

Mind posting a model/link as the newest review I can find is the 65R617 2018 and it's tested nits was 607.

Attached: 2018.png (995x359, 54K)

Read the OP.

i don't know shit about tv brands just get a fucking LG or Samsung 4K 80'' curved and move on pussy

What is this magical Vizio TV for 400 you are claiming is better than the 6-series TCL? And for 400?

It doesn't exist anywhere apparently.

Attached: sss.png (2394x1157, 260K)

I did read the OP it's a S series, I even went to the TCL seller page on amazon and the newest 6 series for the 65" is the TCL 65R617 2018 model with a tested peak brightness of 607 nits and it's $999 USD, and way out of OP's budget.

Attached: 6 series.png (1518x621, 752K)

You didn't read the OP. There is a link at the end.

>imagine using lcd

Attached: 1526345431851.jpg (800x1200, 193K)

It has a real scene peak brightness of 840 nits and can only sustain 1000nits for 10~25% of the window. HDR sustained 100% window is 673 nits

That's not certified HDR1000 it's HDR 600 and a compatible rating for HDR1000

The link links to the 2018 model, where the fuck is the 2019 model mentioned

Literally nothing reaches 1000 nits on a 100% window so the certification is meaningless.

HP OMEN X Emperium 65 is VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certified, granted, it's classified as a gaming display and not a TV...

Why are you unable to answer where this magical Vizio TV you are claiming you can buy for 400 reaches these numbers?

There is literally no TV at all which reaches, with the R617 being one of the brighest you can buy. Really wondering what the fuck you are on about in this thread.

So the only display currently capable of displaying "real HDR" is a gaming monitor that costs $5000, and every other high end TV that claims to support HDR is lying?

There is a reason why they came out with HDR 400 and HDR 600 certifications after not very many makers could hit HDR 1000 certification.

Why the fuck are you quoting me?

Attached: wtf.png (993x118, 10K)

You are actually retarded, the VESA certification for DisplayHDR is a PC Monitor standard and has nothing to do with TVs. There are several TVs that are much brighter than that PC monitor, and hell it's not particularly bright by the ridiculous standards you are claiming needed for muh true HDR. It has a peak brightness of 1000 nits (not at 100%), which is beaten by many TVs.

Just stop arguing with this mongoloid, he has no idea what he is talking about.

It's a woman

Just look for the ULTRA HD Premium certification for TVs

Attached: Ultra-HD-Premium-Logo[1].jpg (960x306, 41K)

>fake stuttering
Fuck off reddit