What's linux like for the normal user...

What's linux like for the normal user? I might dual boot into linux just because I'm jealous of linux theme threads lol but idk shit about the functionality of it. I tried Ubuntu twice in 2015 and 2017 and it wasn't worth it.
All i do is browse the web, Play light games like osu! And terraria and you know i also use the programs everyone uses like discord/Spotify/photoshop/obs etc..

Attached: ubuntu-logo-transparent.png (900x894, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What's linux like for the normal user?

100 times better than Windows.

Try it with the other free components of a fully functioning GNU/Linux system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Attached: 1518203335397.png (1000x820, 1.13M)

Just a word of advice, don't take advice from Jow Forums. It's a twelve headed hydra of chaos, and every head is brain damaged.

Good luck with Photoshop, but discord, obs and spotify have native Linux support. Myself, I'm a Pandora man and there's a decent client for it called Pithos that's native to Linux. Steam is available and Terraria runs great. Ubuntu has been shit since 2010. Try Fedora or Mint or something. I like Fedora.

You usually don't need to install drivers, even for relatively new hardware, but if something goes fucky you're probably in for a world of pain as a newbie.

You're thing of FreeBSD.
GNU+Linux is a billion times better than windows.

What's it like to use linux for a normal person? I actually dual booted ubuntu 16.04 on my family's desktop, and since it was the default to boot up my sisters didn't take the extra 20 seconds to boot into windows. It was funny, because the only thing a normal person needs is a way to go on websites, download, play videos, and maybe music. They didn't need to use the command line ever... but only because I had already installed chrome for them.

They didn't complain about the OS. They complained that I was always on the computer.

Shit

I tried Ubuntu a couple times and really hated it.
Turned out I just hated Gnome. Been rolling Kubuntu ever since, and still loving it.

x is better than y, ok senpai I'll totally change to way without reading the reasons.

I have no idea what you are talking about but I'll read these stuff and I'll try them after installing a linux OS

Haha i can see that

Thanks! I think I'll try fedora. Will the drivers be an issue like windows? For me i use a Lenovo laptop and I'm locked to their drivers and i can't install new drivers like intel ones.

Cool now the question is. What's the difference between Windows and Linux if that's the case? As for me, a normal user I'll do the same stuff in Linux with no pros or cons

I C.

I'll take a look at that thx

>What's linux like for the normal user?
Normal. You pick your desktop environment, install your software and get going
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing
Sometimes you need to add extra repositories but is a three step procedure

>browse the web
All major browsers are in there
>osu!
Don't know
>Terraria
Should work
>discord, spotify
There are flatpaks ready to install
>Photoshop
Check the wine database, although most of the versions don't work too well. If you're drawing, give krita a shot
>obs
In their website there's a deb package and in fedora I think it is under the RPMFusion repo

>Cool now the question is. What's the difference between Windows and Linux if that's the case? As for me, a normal user I'll do the same stuff in Linux with no pros or cons

There is a serious lack of good multimedia software. If you need to do a lot of video editing? You're screwed. Audio editing? If you're good with Audacity, then you're fine.

I'm extremely comfortable with Blender's VSE, but it is not as good as Premiere or AE. For everything I want to do, I'll have to spend hours reading things up, installing plugins, and troubleshooting them. It is the only thing that keeps a lot of people away from Linux... curse you Adobe and your superior software...

I've used Linux for over fifteen years. I no longer fit in the "normal user" box, because I'm now a professional software developer and I use a very heavily customized operating system, but I will recall for you some of my early impressions of Linux.

1) no forced updates or changes
2) everything can be modified exactly how you want as long as you can commit the time to learn how
3) usually resource usage is lower and performance is better, but some proprietary software might be worse on Linux (i.e. Photoshop)
4) if you have unusual hardware it will probably be difficult to use
5) everything you need is probably available free of charge. Very few programs have trial modes or subscription fees, etc.
6) scripting/automation is generally more available and straightforward than windows, although osx is more user friendly
7) the terminal is the go-to for everything, this is nice if you like using the keyboard and you have a language oriented brain like me, but for people that like using the mouse and GUI programs, it could be a downside

Attached: 1555050247261.jpg (572x714, 34K)

>1) no forced updates or changes

>2) everything can be modified exactly how you want as long as you can commit the time to learn how

>3) usually resource usage is lower and performance is better, but some proprietary software might be worse on Linux (i.e. Photoshop)

That's fine i can always use windows and linux at the same time

>5) everything you need is probably available free of charge. Very few programs have trial modes or subscription fees, etc.
>6) scripting/automation is generally more available and straightforward than windows, although osx is more user friendly

Alright this confessed me now

>7) the terminal is the go-to for everything, this is nice if you like using the keyboard and you have a language oriented brain like me, but for people that like using the mouse and GUI programs, it could be a downside

The terminal is exactly why i changed back (with a couple more things) 3 years ago. I learned c++ recently and i can see how i can understand the terminal a little bit better now as I'm starting to appreciate coding

Try Manjaro or Antergos. They’re fun.

Define “unusual hardware”.

BASED AND REDPILLED

but see about Redox OS, the future may be there

>All i do is browse the web, Play light games like osu! And terraria and you know i also use the programs everyone uses like discord/Spotify/photoshop/obs etc..
This is all doable in linux easily.
I don't consider you the normal user though.

linux is tricky for photoshop, also an expectation you need to have is not all games run well. A cursory look makes it seem like osu can run through wine, and terraria runs through proton in steam.

I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively at home since 2003. Currently using Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop, which is lovely to use.

At work I have a MacBook Pro, and honestly, even when plugging in a PC keyboard and mouse, and another monitor, I still find it less pleasant to use than my home computer. I've added all sorts of extensions to make my Mac more Linux like.

As for Windows, I haven't used it for many years now. My wife brought a work laptop home once, and asked me to set a few things up, and I realised I didn't know how Windows worked at all any more.

So yeah, Linux. I like it.

Actually I'm pretty sure Terraria runs natively.

linux is for communists

Like yourself... most people need a $300 Chromebook at most (web browsing, Google Sheets/Docs, that's it).

Unless you're paranoid about security, work on embedded software/hardware or do some other things like launch rockets... most people are content on Windows.

Its a shame Mac became the developer standard in the Bay area (and therefore everyone thinks they need one).

do you like games?
do you use Photoshop?
do you use AutoCAD?
do you use Visual Studio and/or .NET framework?
do you make software for Windows?

if any of those is a yes then you should not use Linux.

I used to be hype as fuck for Linux back in my high school days, but the reality is that whatever I can do on Linux can also be done on Windows (and is usually easier on Windows anyway). I was forced to dual boot to play games or use certain programs, but why dual boot when I can simply use Windows? That realization led me to ditch Linux. Nowadays, it's even easier if you use Win10, because you can directly install Linux inside of Windows if you REALLY need some obscure shit that has no Windows alternative.

>Linux
gnu/linux... fucking windows users

1.- Put a big icon of Chrome or Firefox in the desktop
2.- Done

If they happen to require to open Office documents just install LibreOffice and tell them it's an alternative version of Office that doesn't cost fucking $100.

I installed Ubuntu in my 58yo dad's PC and he has been pretty happy with it. Doesn't get viruses, and all he does is YouTube, email and saving PDF invoices of his car flipping hobby. I think it was 16.04, in a i5 dell prebuilt, still runs fine after all these years.