/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's 144Hz with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous

Attached: 17211784_10207916744228085_1863482687213711085_o.jpg (2048x1938, 695K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05737506
pcpartpicker.com/list/7BxwBb
pcpartpicker.com/list/4gZhQZ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220987&Description=3400 ram desktop&cm_re=3400_ram_desktop-_-20-220-987-_-Product
youtube.com/watch?v=gzJojfjA--o&t=319
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232184&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ymb8GG
lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgty 2400G Battlefield 1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sirs, do the needful and wait for ryzen 3000 and navi.

Polite sage.

t. intlel poo-in-loo shill

already waiting on navi for 8 months.

Got $1000 saved for a PC. Planning to save a little more and wait till new AMD cpu/GPU release

The sad thing for Zen2 is that people have been telling people on here to wait since LAST august.

Never trust a waitfag.

>nvidia GPU
>works great day 1
>AMD GPU
>needs 6 months
Why do people buy AMD again?

I'd rather spend countless hours and months undervolting and waiting for good drivers than pay the nvidia premium price.

because their brains are unable to quantify anything besides price/performance ratio.

>nvidia gpu
>drivers start gimping after 12 months

How long of a wait is too long? I feel like I'm about to ascend if I keep on waiting.

anything over 2-3 months is my limit.

No point waiting half a year or more for something that doesn't have a set solid release date.

So you are about to reach a state of Zen?

Lad, I've been waiting since Phenom II.

I want to upgrade my RAM. Yeah, I have 12gb now but with mismatched ram sticks the performance goes down. So I am effective working with 8gb ram.
This is what I am thinking of buying:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16
This is my PC:
support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05737506

PS: I know the PSU is a weak one so unless you can point in the right direction, I plan to ignore that for now.

I've been holding off building a new pc for like 3 years now. I feel like at this rate I'm having more fun finding the best budget builds each year than actually upgrading.

>I mean, threads mean security vulnerability. Both intel and AMD CPUs are not secure if they use SMT (hyper threading).
No, hyperthreading is specifically more insecure due to its proprietary, patent-dodging hyper threading.
Can you point to a single SMT(not HT) vulnerability which isn't simply a multi-threading vulnerability?
AMD had to be patched for 3 variations of Spectre, but afaik they affected the Ryzen 3s without SMT as well.
>RAM speed doesn't matter for Intel
That's a lie and you know it. The benchmarks the shill spams to promote the 9400F even shows that.

There's been a few games lately where it was Nvidia who was 1-2 weeks late on the driver when AMD had them day 1. lmao.
Also
>Nvidia GPU
>Loses 20% of its performance a year after the new generation comes out.

2060 is better for 1080p.
Vega 64 is better and will last longer for 1440p.

I wouldn't wait more than 9 months, especially if what you want is currently on sale.
Like when 2600 was on sale for $120 black friday, I'd have said there's little point in waiting as Zen 2 was still almost a year out and that's so cheap. This is assuming you don't already have a good system. I would have liked to wait for Zen2, but the 2500k was fucking garbage for my heavy usage.

>Can you point to a single SMT(not HT) vulnerability which isn't simply a multi-threading vulnerability?
Lol what?

Both AMD and Intel are vulnerable because of SMT. Intel is "more" vulnerable in that they have different ways to attack compared to AMD, but that's due to their implementation method.

BOTH methods are inherently vulnerable on the hardware level and will NEVER be secure without a pure hardware fix, which at the moment the consensus is the only REAL fix is to remove SMT entirely and rely on actual hardware CPU cores to be singular entities.

That's great, thank you.

That Adata NVME Pro 256GB looks mighty tempting.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7BxwBb

So the 8100 never came in due to shipping reasons, so I went with the 8700 instead. It's like a 2600 but better. Much, much better

much much better as in 10% better for double the price

i have a 2080 on the way but i literally only just realized that i only have a 4690 as a CPU. am i fucked?

i spent two weeks considering buying this GPU and didnt really remember to think about bottlenecking. ffs.

wewlad

Start saving for an upgrade.

You're pretty heavily bottlenecked with a 4690.

Do the needful and return, wait for navi and ryzen 3000.

AMD's graphics cards work immediately then get slightly better with time

Depends on what you currently have

>I've been holding off building a new pc for like 3 years now
Probably too long, what do you have?

>Vega 64 is better and will last longer for 1440p.
Not really, V64 isn't really powerful enough to be a long term 1440p card at this point

Just buy an i7 4770K or 4790K and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor

Only one I'm aware of which possibly affected AMD was the OpenSSL PortSmash. It was fixed in OpenSSL.

>Much, much better
They're nearly identical except that the 2600X has better multithreading and is more efficient.

>They're nearly ident-
Oh wait

Attached: fc new dawn cpu.png (901x894, 82K)

r8
pcpartpicker.com/list/4gZhQZ

Attached: 1555135685535.jpg (800x1004, 161K)

I brought RAM without considering the latency. Would 16-20-20-38 timing at 3000mhz will have terrible compatibility with ryzen systems?
From what I understand it shouldn't effect me since I've have a i5 6600k, but I'm planning to upgrade to ryzen in the future and dont want to re purchase memory.

Attached: futospin.gif (361x478, 122K)

>Only one I'm aware of which possibly affected AMD was the OpenSSL PortSmash. It was fixed in OpenSSL.
Then you don't know what you're talking about.

SMT, the function of splitting a core into multiple threads, is INHERENTLY flawed at the hardware level.

Any job running on 1 thread SHARES hardware resources with jobs running on the 2nd thread on that core. There is NO way to assure that whatever is running on the first thread wont get leaked to the 2nd thread, since they share HARDWARE resources.

Again, the ONLY known fix is to not have SMT at all, each core needs to be segregated with it's own hardware resources in order to make sure nothing is potentially leaked.

what would be the minimum GFX card needed for 4k 60fps video playback? building an always-on HTPC running a linux install that will drive two screens, a smaller 1080p screen and a bigger 4k TV. would like to not have it draw a shitton of power doing it. pic related is the build so far, minus storage (are SSDs cost effective enough now to replace mechanical HDDs for storage?)

Attached: Untitled.png (773x954, 112K)

>4k 60fps video playback
depends what you mean by that

If you want 4k netflix streaming for example, you MUST have at least a GTX 1050 with 3GB of vRAM.

But technically the GTX 750 SE, GTX 950, and GTX 1030 all can support 4k playback of local files, they can't stream 4k.

does Netflix work on linux now? I've been out of the loop for a while. Streaming would be a nice normie friendly feature, but not necessary.

which rtx 2080ti variant should i buy?
going to buy one next month

Not easily.

If you have an iGPU and dGPU like the GTX 1050 3GB, you can run linux off the iGPU and then run a windows 10 VM off of the GTX 1050.

That's probably the easiest way to watch 4k netflix on linux.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine

>Just buy an i7 4770K or 4790K and get a 1440p 144Hz monitor
already have one, not too sure about getting an i7 because:

im waiting for ryzen 3000, it's a guaranteed upgrade for me (will help with work too)

me
i'm considering downgrading the ram. what should i do? maybe 3400 with lower cas latency and save money. is this the next lower rung of this ram performance latter?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220987&Description=3400 ram desktop&cm_re=3400_ram_desktop-_-20-220-987-_-Product
what kind of performance impact would i be looking at?
current:
3600 cas latency 17 +$46 vs 3400 cas latency 16

ladder*

i doubt you will feel any difference with anything above 3200mhz cl14

>Rosewill power supply
Start over.

It's fine if the motherboard you get supports XMP, most should by then.
I'm using 3000mhz at 16-18-18-36, but it was a cheap pair that's overclocking from 2133mhz. Trying to pretend I didn't get scammed gave me bluescreen issues before a bios update.

Any recommendations on which components i should change up in there?

Also the main reason i went with the 1st gen ryzen w/out graphic processings was because i am concerned about win7 compatibility but afaik there's a couple gen 2 models that can be used with windows 7 aswell

As it stands i could probably get the thing for around 220 if i use the RAM from my other build but i'm happy to hold off on it for now and am open for alternative build recommendations

Attached: 1553358286782-0.jpg (604x586, 52K)

Need a itx case small enough to fit an rx480. Point of the build is to make it ultra portable, so I'll accept the kind of tight fits I usually wouldn't on my main build.

Attached: rx 480 def.jpg (900x900, 56K)

How much does GHz matter in a CPU?
For example, is a R7 2700 3.7 GHz worth the 70 extra dollars over a R7 2700X 3.2 GHz?

My ryzen 5 2600x turned off when I was fiddling with the fan controller on the cpu. Now it does turn on, but it doesn't power any USB peripheral nor the monitor. What could that be? I tried reseting the gpu and ram modules to no avail. Everything seems to power on, it just doesn't show anything nor powers the peripheral.

You got them mixed up.

The 2700 is 3.2Ghz

The 2700X is 3.7Ghz

However, if you're not overclocking, the 2700 has a turbo boost to 4.1Ghz, the 2700X has a turbo boost to 4.3Ghz, so really assuming you have decent cooling on both, they should be within ~200Mhz of each other, not 500Mhz as implied by their baseclock.

>1 game
lol
>8700 isn't even on the list
L M A O

Those results are horribly wrong and inconsistent with others, as well.
Also the benchmark doesn't stress the CPU nearly as much as the actual game. The far cry forums are full of people complaining that it's stuttery on their i5s, even the 6 core ones.

At least know what you're talking about so you're not so easily BTFO.

Athlon 200GE iGPU will do 4x 40k@60 screens dude.

youtube.com/watch?v=gzJojfjA--o&t=319
>tfw my computer isnt even semen cooled
Why live?

Are there am4 motherboards with that many video outpouts?

Try clearing bios.
That sometimes does something

2700 turbo behaviour is a lot less friggin sweet than the 2700X's.
It's the 65W TDP I assume

Attached: aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9FLzIvNzcwMzMwL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDA5LnBuZw==.png (989x742, 63K)

>>Rosewill power supply
>Start over.
explain. what difference does it make as long as its the wattage is reasonable and has the efficiency certification that i'm looking for? if i got a higher tier psu are you saying that it would be less likely to fail? what is the probability of a modern gold certified psu failing? my guess is very very very low. so why would i needlessly spend more?
hey would you happen to have any links on hand for charts showing different memory timings and effects on performance for 8-9th gen intel cpus?

V64 is fine at 1440p, you're talking out of your ass. It's not going to cap fps at 144hz on ultra in AAA stuff, but it'll do 90-120 with relative ease.

t. Former v64 owner

>V64 is fine at 1440p
It's good now if you've already got one; all I said is that it isn't really a long term card

>1 game
There are plenty of others
>8700 isn't even on the list
8700K is though. Too stupid to understand that at stock they're 100MHz different?

>here's your pc bro

What a fucking beta

Just go with a Ryzen 5 2400g and stick with the APU.

For embedded boards, yes. For consumer AM4 boards, I'm not sure. Most i've seen is 2 HDMI and 1 DP.

He's memeing you.
Rosewill PSU is fine if user reviews are fine. It's Newegg's house brand.

TDP, you fucking retard. 8700 might only be 100mhz lower peak, but its lower TDP makes it throttle more.
How are you THIS stupid?

MHz:3600 CL:17
Calculated nanoseconds:
+$46 more
vs
MHz:3400 CL:16
Calculated nanoseconds:

what are the implications

cl is important
and overclocking was always a option

implication is that's an abnormal price difference so the 3400Mhz kit you're looking at is heavily discounted.
You should probably look into whether it's garbo ram or not first rather than worry about decimal places of a calculation that probably doesnt include subtimings

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232184&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
vs

Seems alright, not much negative reviews with 200+ reviews on amazon.
Downside seems to be it looks like butts

>8700 might only be 100mhz lower peak, but its lower TDP makes it throttle more.
i7 8700 can hit its boost on a shitty stock cooler, retard. Anyway HIGHER TDP is more likely to make something throttle. Lay off the drugs, retard

>thermal throttling is the only form of throttling
oh my god he's actually this stupid yet tries to give "advice" to others anyway

Well the PSU joiner thing on my Silverstone FT-03 somehow died.
I don't know how that happens, but PSU is fine when plugged in directly.

Not even worth RMAing for that. Guess I'm punching a hole in the bottom of the case.

Get off the drugs, retard

Why are you guys so anti AsRock, what happened?

Attached: DXLBVWpUQAAQCqb.jpg (639x428, 48K)

Dude stop posting. You lost.

Only person who lost was your mom when you were born

r8 revised:
pcpartpicker.com/list/Ymb8GG

r8 referb monitor damage

Attached: 1538220508105.jpg (375x500, 12K)

Every AMD argument is summed up to "muh price to performance ratio". It's really all they have.

What about the Ryzen 3 2200G and its APU, could that handle bf1

>doesn't have a set solid release date
This is why I gave up waiting. Who knows when the fuck zen2 and navi will actually get released.

every Intel argument is summed up to "muh clockspeed" It's really all they have.

Actually it's 'muh great performance for cheap'

Actually it's 'muh top tier performance'

lmgtfy.com/?q=lmgty 2400G Battlefield 1
How do you breath?
Fast RAM and an OC will help.

>How do you breath?
By drawing in oxygen through my nose, why?

Also like i wrote earlier i don't plan on OCing anything

Which is basically why i had wanted to go for a dedicated GPU from the get-go

>nvidia gpu
>works great day 1
>degrades in performance on day 180
>amd gpu
>works pretty average day 1 wtf i got ripped off I should've bought nvidia like all the other normalfags
>day 180: welp I actually made a really great decision buying amd.

Attached: 1550468481540.gif (241x328, 3.89M)

Attached: laughing AMD whores.jpg (1784x748, 220K)

>tfw yellow fever
I would OC all three of them at the same time.

>I like wasting my time fixing shitty engineering because it's not worth anything.

sums up just about every poorfag AMD user out there.

I'd liquid cool them with my semen.

I can't help but think AMD would've been much better off had they not purchased ati. It seems like a lot of wasted money goes into their R&D and they don't get much results. Maybe Navi will turn things around.

>they don't get much results
Probably got them the consoles

7970/7950/7850 saved the company at one point. It was extremely popular in HPC and the financial industry.

And yeah, the consoles. Those consoles came out a long time ago but semi-custom was still a bit part of their balance sheet the past 2 years.

>playing it safe by buying windows directly from microsoft
>transaction still pending after 2 days

should have tried literally anything else including just going to the fucking store
what a sick joke i've played on myself trying to be a good boy

Attached: 1521403814592.jpg (600x600, 42K)

Buying ATI was a really smart move but the way they went about it was what was wrong. AMD WAY overpaid for ATI and has admitted this in the past. AMD CEO of the time liked to spend money like he drank water.

And yea, the consoles were a BIG deal for AMD. Securing the contracts for the consoles meant a steady income to fund the Zen project, which itself pulled the company out of financial ruin.

The current CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, has a good head on her shoulders, both for business and chips. I think she's the best CEO AMD could've asked for. I hope she remains the CEO for well over a decade. Most CEOs disappear from a company after 6 years at most, so they try to get as much short term profit as they can so they can cash out. Mrs. Su seems to be playing the long-term game which is healthier for the company period.

You should get used to the idea of a premium gaming cpu costing around tree fiddy. Even if its 5%, its the 5% someone wants over you. Why are poor people so stupid and annoying?

All the FPS in the pro scene won't fix your Michael J Fox aim

What's a good (ie capable of playing most AAA titles) mini ITX build for around 200-300 bucks

>200-300 bucks

Attached: 1343519942147.jpg (750x499, 87K)

E3-1270v2 - $100 (3770k would be better performance but RAM is far more expensive for it)
Cheapo chinkshit 1155 ITX mobo with xeon support - $35
2x8gb DDR3 ECC - $30
RX570 - $80
Some 500W 80+ Bronze power supply like EVGA: $45
212 evo cooler - $35 + cancer from installing it
Case: The cardboard box the motherboard comes in

Guys should I
Buy 8 more GBs of RAM
Buy a m2 pcie SSD
Buy an air cooler for my CPU
Buy an AIO for my graphics card
or save up for a Vega 56?

I don't game btw

Attached: x220.webm (640x360, 2.92M)

Should I get a 24" QHD monitor or a 27" QHD?
I'd save 200 by getting the 24 but I'm not sure if QHD will look good on a 24" screen.
Then again I think for the space I have a 24" screen will work out better

What are you doing that you think may require more RAM?
Getting RAM for the sake of getting RAM is pointless unless you have money to burn

Addendum: That build is $325
Alternate shit if you don't mind the games being playable more on 720p than 1080p
E3-1270 instead of v2: $70
RX470 instead of 570: $60
500W 80+ White instead of 80+ Bronze: $40
Intel stock cooler instead of 212 evo - $10
That would bring it down to $245.

If this is for pure gaming the drop from 1270v2 to 1270 will impact you the least, and since you won't be OCing you can drop the cooler to stock just fine as well.