Why haven't you switched to linux yet?

Why haven't you switched to linux yet?

Attached: Screenshot_20190421-105411.png (1080x1920, 706K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

too lazy to setup
that's literally it

Unless you're a ricer It Just werks out of the box

there's a lot of easy to install distros out there. just don't listen to most of the tards on Jow Forums when it comes to which distro is best. ubuntu, manjaro, and mint are all great distros to try out, either in a VM or on a live cd.

>there's thousands of distros to chose from

there's your problem

>acting like anyone with a functioning brain can't just pick a distro randomly and configure it to their needs.

ubuntu is faster to setup than windows

I am going to dual boot it for the first time today and run some benchmarks. I'm just figuring out what drivers I need at the moment for chipset/gpu etc

Attached: gnu plus linux.png (138x52, 1K)

>7 posts in and nobody shits on the fact of plebbit or phoneposting

everything about linux desktop sucks and no amount of posts will change that.

I would like to have a girlfriend someday.

Because the Web browsing performance is objectively inferior.

This
I'm not discounting Linux as a server or even workstation OS but it's real hard to take desktop linux seriously when they can't even get VSync right most of the time or be stable enough to deal with hardware acceleration on a browser

list of linux software that is very bad:

gdb
portage
pulseaudio
gnome
avahi
GRUB

good luck avoiding these and others

Been using linux since version 2.4
Linux > Hurd

Have you even used Hurd? It's not even alpha. Conceptually is quite compelling.

>I'm just figuring out what drivers I need at the moment for chipset/gpu etc
im pretty sure you only need your gpu driver...

BSD > GNU/Linux

I'm going to do that and see how it goes. I only built this pc last month and I made a little usb with all the drivers for it when I was setting up

Attached: drivers.png (490x162, 8K)

sweaty...

please don't bully me I'm new to all of this

user... I... did you literally downloaded your drivers from the vendor's website?
>realtek_hd
Haha...

user, just Install Solus, and from then using the package manager you can install AMD drivers, audio should work by default.

because one of my top use cases for using a computer is playing video games and windows is an objectively better experience for that, no matter how hard microsoft fucks up

y-yes... I downloaded the ones (aside from utility programs etc) from the mobo support page, my latest gpu driver, pcie wifi card driver and "storage executive" from curcial
>just Install Solus
I'm clearing some space for the partition now and then I will

Attached: drivers.png (464x138, 7K)

Every time I try linux, no matter the distro, the resolution makes everything tiny and unreadable on a high resolution. And other than making it look like shit and lowering the resolution, the solution is a pain in the ass. If it's that much work to fix reading the fucking thing, how much work is it gonna be down the line? No thanks.

>I'm literally too retarded to set the DPI

I don’t know what distro to install on my 2GHz Core Duo w/2GB RAM.

gdb is awesome,
you're just dumb.

And in addition to all the stupid shit no one should have to fix, the community is full of douche bags like this. Pass.

oh look a Jow Forumsuhnootard called me dumb

Look into MX Linux. Should be light weight enough to run everything smoothly.

>gdb
>portage
Cringe.
>pulseaudio
Massively improved since Poettering fucked off.
Everything else is optional and easy to avoid.

My only obstacle for switching to linux is that I need to be able to use my printer, but the drivers for my printer is only available on windows, and buying a linux-compatible printer is not an option because I'm a poorfag.
Anybody got any idea how to overcome that problem?

>I downloaded the ones (aside from utility programs etc) from the mobo support page, my latest gpu driver, pcie wifi card driver and "storage executive" from curcial
user... I'm telling you that you don't need them...

because the latest vidya doesnt work on it

or you avoid it all in one fell swoop by using windows

Oh wait, I'm retarded, I thought you were downloading them to install them on Solus haha, I'm sorry user.

>using the drivers from vendors website
This is actually a bad move on Windows 10
If installing/reinstalling Windows 10 just use the drivers Windows update gives you and only mess with a driver unless you absolutely have to
I would still get GPU drivers from AMD/Nvidia since those might actually matter for performance

What printer do you have? Often many printers are rebranded and drivers can be found under a different branding/model.

>implying that your operating system affects your relationships

that's alright friend I am retarded too. also, is it safe to defrag an SSD? I need to clear up this mess so I can shrink my C drive

I have been running Windows 7 for years and it's stable right now and exactly how I want it. I'm planning to switch over when I get a new laptop but waiting until a good amd model comes out.

>he doesn't know that windbg is superior

>i'm too stoopid to read a man page
>i'm not the problem, it's the debuggers fault

Go back, faggot.

defragging an SSD is a meme, it's pointless

>waaa I can't set a simple setting
please stop using computers, you dumb mongoloid.

>my favorite communist software is missing features from 1995
>I don't know anything about this because I spend all my time posting about it on Jow Forums

it won't let me shrink the volume to 65gb even though I have 150gb free, I thought this is solved by defragging?

Huh, never knew that. My printer is HP Deskjet 1510.
I've done some googling to reach that conclusion though, so thanks for attempting to help, and I hope your googling finds better results than I do.

Yeah I got memed into that already.
Suck my dick.

Ew, an all-in-one. Anyhow, yes it can be done with most distros, but you are correct that is going to be a pain in the ass to get the scanning working.

or anyone with functioning brain just think of os as a tool they occasionally need a not a center of their fucking universe.
win 10 works. this is why.

Wifi card isn't supported in linux

Why would I?
No, seriously.
All I need a PC for is programming and videogames and windows already does that.

Attached: because-i-use.jpg (474x296, 10K)

Windows is horrible for figuring what drivers I need and *ALWAYS* installs years-old ones.

>or anyone with functioning brain just think of os as a tool they occasionally need a not a center of their fucking universe.
So just chose the one you like most based on the default look (just look at the pics provided online), and if you ever feel the need to change the appearace, you can just invest a little bit of time and do just that.

>Why haven't you switched to linux yet?
games
I want to play ANY GAME at full speed day one, waiting is not an option

I have

>buying games day one instead of waiting 1-2 years for them to drop to 50% price

Linux comes with all drivers out of the box, except for nVidia GPUs.

>imagine being poor in 2019

>not a center of their fucking universe
Then why does having a lot of options matter? Just pick one faggot

And most of us would have a hard time naming more than 10 of them. 5 minutes of research will inform anyone what's easy and what's advanced.

where's your problem?

Meanwhile, in reality, I'm using adaptive sync.

How'd you forget systemd?

Give em time. I'm sure they can fuck up bad enough to drive even you away.

Imagine if you went to a public place and couldn't figure out how to work a doorknob, then walked out screaming about how you hate public buildings and their stupid doors. They should all just open for you after all. Then people laugh at you for it so they're just assholes.

>And most of us would have a hard time naming more than 10 of them.
[k|l|x]ubuntu, ubuntu MATE, debian, elementaryOS, mint, redhat, rhel, CentOS, fedora, madriva, mageia, slackware, gentoo, chromeOS, Arch, Manjaro, Antegros, MX Linux, solus.
Just off the top.of my head.

>just NTFS things

What kind of gook shit do you have that doesn't work?

>imagine wasting money on overpriced flavor of the month trash
Some of us don't pay devs to leave out half the content so they can charge us twice. Some of us don't reward Jews like cucks.

>all other doorknobs in the city work perfectly fine with no alterations needed
>one building decides to put a relatively simple mechanism on all of their doorknobs that can take a minute to figure out before opening
>people complain
>"haha fucking retards you need a mommy to do everything for you?"

Congrats, you fall outside the norm. You want a gold star?

because its shit

I have. All the blue screens in winpajeet 10 finally got to me.

Actually that depends, some network cards are pretty badly supported, like a good deal of broadcom cards

let me guess
you run out of ram everytime

Half of those are either irrelevant or irrelevant for desktop users and the other half is just Ubuntu with a different DE, which doesn't even qualify as a different distro.
The only shit you've named here that a new user would pick from is
Ubuntu (KDE, LXQt, Budgie, MATE)
Mint (Cinnamon, Xfce, MATE)
Manjaro (any DE)
That's it. Debian is for servers and those who know Linux, elementaryOS is shit, redhat is a company not a distro, rhel is for enterprise, CentOS is just free rhel, mandriva/mageia/slackware are all 100% irrelevant, gentoo is for developers like Google who make a distro based on it, ChromeOS is not a standard desktop OS yet so it's as real of an option as Android-x86 is, Arch is for powerusers, Antergos is literally Arch with a GUI installer, Manjaro is like Mint just based on Arch, MX Linux is more for legacy hardware/users and is just Mint Xfce+bloat and not something a beginner would use, Solus is a meme.

I did back in like, November. From 7 to Mint, then Mint to KDE-based Manjaro, then XFCE-Manjaro, but I stripped it down and shoved LXQT on it + removed GTK cancer.

Very comfy but themeing is tedious and I can't find non-kde replacements for some programs that use GTK in QT.

cant play anime mmo because of their dogshit anticheat

>good deal of an irrelevant brand
Sure, less than 5% of users need to worry about that. All chink brands and Intel work fine.

GTK uses CSS?
Oh my fucking god.

X server is garbage
Google’s Freon is the only half decent workaround for not having X server, so fuck this

GTK is pure ass. It's windows-equivalent of shitware would be like, Adobe Flash or Java circa 2002.

Nah I'm debugging a development board via the serial port, COM gives me blue screen if I receive the data too fast, my baud rate is 115k. Probably due to shitty drivers.

Yes, but on Windows, you don't have your desktop and (almost) every program on it made in it.

Linux is good for servers and whatnot. Why anyone would punish themselves with Linux desktop I have no idea. Is it contrarianism? Elitism? Masochism? Or just simple Autism?

Anything GNOME related is pure ass. I'm not even talking about the DE. Their entire development ecosystem is so retarded.
Instead of following the standard C conventions they want to be special snowflakes.
>int and uint types? nah we shall call it gint and guint
>typedef void* gpointer;
>glib, the shittiest implementation of dbus
>their framework is the buggiest shit i have had the pleasure to use at work
>developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/
At this point they might as well invent their own language to develop GNOME in.

because i'm currently looking at this

Attached: IMG_20190421_194605.jpg (3295x1872, 1.57M)

>Windows for programming
I'm so sorry

can you elaborate? I've never even heard of that. Is that what they wrote for Fuchsia?

Also can somebody give me a rundown on how to build arch with UEFI secure boot enabled?

>vboxsf

you're running a VM? have you tried checking the "live media" when loading the iso in the VM's options?

no I'm booting off the usb I just prepared with rufus as per the guide

but I have been using linux for about 15 years

It uses Python and js too.

Just mount the damn ISO file, there should be an option for it on VM creation. Why would you even need a USB for a VM installation?

What, I have not encountered any problems at all.

I'm dual booting, I'm not doing it on a VM. I mounted the ISO on the bootable usb

I have been using Linux at work for a few years now, and it sucks balls with countless issues that I never had on Windows. Better package management is not worth this fuckery.