Where did it all go wrong?

Where did it all go wrong?

Attached: 1547709990836.jpg (1000x1000, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/134234/caught-masturbating-at-work
interpersonal.stackexchange.com/
tcm.com/mediaroom/video/715167/Best-Years-Of-Our-Lives-The-Movie-Clip-I-Just-Dropped-Bombs.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can't go into these Software Engineer interviews without studying. If you can't traverse a linked list and you majored in CompSci, you're fucked.

Attached: brainlet.png (621x702, 56K)

>interview questions that easy
How's it going in 2007 user?

Attached: 1528678312193.png (851x846, 573K)

jiewjirfweoifmce2wunfuwejefconudcmunrvusjdvdm\zv]
svpçds
lc ç s.c
]ǘ z\[dc
sl[lv[açs[çv[dsçv[
açv[sḉg
[boerfs,kbpgmdsipjmear0giw90kjfe8jf842jf842wjf8ijef9icjew-0oe0000000000000000ol
ado0lca[
dfa´[pçá[cçsç cdḉc sdḉfsçfśdçfsfççá
dsçf
[sdçç[d[ád

Letting in 30 million incompetent illegals to work all the entry level jobs under the table probably had something to do with it.

>asking questions like this and never requiring even a fraction of the amount of thinking they require for the actual job
Fuck businesses that think an interview is a fucking Mensa test. I've been a professional developer (both system development and desktop application development) for a huge fucking multimillion dollar company and NOTHING I did involved any sort of advanced "how smart are you really" bullshit.

Why the fuck should I pay to train you when you, Ranjeesh and Lu Xio Ju all want the same job and I can just request you come trained so I can avoid the hassle? Do I look like I have a normal sized nose to you?

>get job
>move to silicon valley
>end up living in tiny closet
>spend most of time at work

Attached: 1555817504491.jpg (343x381, 41K)

I'm sorry m8 but these are some easy word problems.

Letting women into the workforce. What do you think happens when you double the supply of labor?

I seriously doubt you know the proper closed form solution to final question.

based and babylonpilled

3/10?

no

This too has played a huge role, but the main boom was just due to most of the rest of the industrialized world being all fucked up and broke after WWII.
Everybody else was trying to rebuild and get their shit back together.
The real boom years were pretty brief and even the latter half of the boomers were too late to walk into amazing jobs.
Thing is, we have really just gone back to normal but everyone is still trying/expecting to live the post war boom life even though it's not possible, especially as the world globalizes more and more and you wind up having to compete with more and more people for jobs.

And also the tech industry just doesn't need nearly as many people as the old industries and most of the jobs they create are shitty paying tech support type work which they ship all they can overseas anyway.
Even today with so much automation, an old manufacturing company like Ford still employs twice as many people as Google.
Most of this tech stuff is buildings full of servers running 24/7 generating the revenue with a handful of people wandering around hoping nothing breaks.

come to the midwest. Apparently these guys just do anything at the workplace.

workplace.stackexchange.com/questions/134234/caught-masturbating-at-work

Attached: theStateofG.png (763x523, 53K)

I love workplace and
interpersonal.stackexchange.com/
literally the most autistic fucking people

"How to tell daughter in law not to bring her friend to Easter dinner?"

Jesus I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

techworkerscoalition.org

>a firm handshake
now that was a qualification

>20 blue balls
i sense 10 incels

Kek’d

Hire this man.

I've worked for two of FANG and never got asked a combinatorial question. Why?
Because combinatorial questions have no correlation with software engineering. Good bait.

When was the last time you interviewed.
Things change fast in tech.

It's still fairly common for interviewers to throw easy "weed-out" questions at candidates right out of the gate, at my employer the first thing they asked everyone was "show me a recursive factorial function, any language you like" and we still had a few people walk in the door then walk out a minute later

1st and 3rd are literally highschool tier

Not sure if I'll get in trouble but 2 years ago Facebook, 2 months ago Google.

Congratulations Kyle you just lost your job.

Uhmhy name is not kyle lol

s-s-sorry Boss. I didnt mean to shitpost on a somalian urn-crafting forum.

Please forigve.

not me
Dude it's all a joke you see I love my job.

does networking pay? i kinda like that

Everything pays in the IT world. Don't fall for muh AI took'r jerbs.

>traverse linked lists

Shit I had to simulate bowling for one of my applications. It was a week-long assignment. It was the most annoying because I had to learn the actual rules of bowling first before I could write it into code. Such bullshit. 300-500 lines of code in multi-class OOP projects. Far more than a linked listed

>I'm afraid we're to go with the guy who studied math parlor tricks

You have no idea how dysfunctional the interviewing process at most tech companies can be, that's an actually plausible thing for them to say though they wouldn't put it that way exactly

hahah you said it

I was told to code Connect 4

>Salary: competitive
Oof

>basic programming skills is a math parlor trick

>3rd is highschool tier
lol no, what's the answer hotshot?

Attached: 1512787926503.jpg (310x310, 24K)

4/105

>basic programming skills is a math parlor trick
Uhh, only the second question is somewhat related to programming. And there are three of them. Not seeing how I'm wrong exactly.

>Want to stop being a filthy NEET
>Math BS is 40 credits of math studies and 80 credits of gen. ed/humanities.
>Associate's degree is 20 credits of math studies and 40 credits of humanities instead of just the 40 damn math studies, so you are half-educated in the one thing you want to get a degree in.
>Jobs in area don't even look at AS degrees, it's either have a BS + or don't list education on your resume

I just want to take the math classes and nothing else for fuck's sake.

Explain how you would solve the first and third without programming. You can't, because you don't actually know the answer.

Here is my solution to the first one. You start at the bottom and go the levels by two. If the egg breaks, then you go down one floor and check if it still breaks. If it does, then you have your floor number. If not, then it was the floor above you. After each toss, you pick the egg back up from the bottom and go up two levels.

Why up two floors? Because it is the maximum number of floors you can go up and still check with your remaining eggs. For instance, if you used three floors, then you would need at least two other eggs to test each floor you just traversed. In this case, you need one other egg.

Please rate my solution!

Attached: comfy.jpg (786x618, 53K)

The top one is. The middle one I'm not even sure is possible, you need to access all n^2 cells to figure out the minimum (local minimum is the same, but on a subset of the original data, that doesn't qualify as o(n). There bottom one isn't asking for Monte Carlo method and basically requires knowing math tricks to solve.

t. btainlet but feel free to prove me wrong

You can easily solve the second one in O(n) with binary search, just like how you can find a local minimum in a 1D array in O(logn). The third one is just dynamic programming. It requires no knowledge of combinatorics.

deregulating capitalism

Binary search doesn't work on noise, and it's not o(n).

Did you use a computer? You're not supposed to.
Computer doesn't help solve #1, it would welp with #3 but it's still possible to do by hand.

I never said it was o(n). I said it was O(n). Binary search just means you divide the problem size by half in each iteration. It does not require the input to be sorted.

The point of #1 is to write a program to do it. Of course programming is required.

The point is to describe the procedure/algorithm.
You don't need a computer for that.

There is no general way to solve nonlinear recurrence relation. If you solved it by hand you would have just been guessing and checking, and would definitely be slower than someone just using a computer.

So is the point of FizzBuzz also to just describe the procedure/algorithm? The procedure is trivial, implementing the algorithm correctly is what is important.

>The procedure is trivial, implementing the algorithm correctly is what is important.
Then describe it... imo the procedure for #1 is not trivial while the implementation is.

There's strategies though, solve soe t(1,x) for example then guess recurrence and prove by induction.
These sorts of things come up on math contests.

Explain how is 3rd not highschool tier. It's literally just combinatorics. Don't they teach that shit in America?

By moving up K-i floors at a time until you break the first egg, then moving up 1 floor at a time. This optimizes the worst case. It makes no sense to optimize the average case without information on the prior probability distribution.

Wouldn't you start at the middle floor and drop an egg, then if it breaks define that floor as the top and go to the new middle? Et cetera.
Thats how 'puters do things, right?

>take in someone with no experience
>train him
>he leaves right after training finished because he's bored of the company
At my job we have a program to train developers fresh from college and the only people who stay long enough after the program are foreigners. Natives almost all leave within a year of the program finishing.

Maybe your company should stop paying below market value.

If you can't operate a screwdriver you won't be hired as a mechanic

Every job has some requirements even the dumb ones

>egg breaks on the first floor
I don't think so.

employed loses tons of money when he gets sued by the company for breach of contract

Obviously the egg is going to break on the first floor- it's an egg. They break when I knock them off my kitchen counter.
But isn't the purpose of these tests to see if you can think like a computer, as part of the normie tech executive mindset that only someone who thinks like a computer can program a computer? I always saw these interviews more as compliance/mindset tests than as actual programming challenges.

Computers don't think.

>combinatorics can't be hard

Attached: gowers.jpg (251x251, 14K)

You think places like google want employees that think?

Yes, it would be hard to develop software without thinking.

They actually stopped doing that because nobody would even apply for the program anymore. Most people leave because they want to see other companies afaik. There's one guy who's leaving the moment the program finishes this month because he got an offer to work for Netflix iirc.
But they're not breaching the contract in any way, it's a 2 year program and they leave like 2.5-3 years after starting

I don't understand these questions, do they give you a program with code already made and you have to come up with a algorithm to solve these?

You're thinking of a binary search. That is a good solution to a lot of problems, but the issue is that this problem only gives you two eggs. If you do a binary search here you'll run out of eggs and not know the floor. Because of this main constraint, the idea is to reuse the eggs by picking them up after you drop them. You can't pick up an egg that's already broken, right? So this is a sneaky way to get around that limit.

oh no no no

They ask you the question in the interview and you give a verbal description of your answer, they may provide a whiteboard to help you out but they aren't expecting you to code a program to solve it; it's about assessing your ability to think on your feet

oh yeah, add communism to the mix that will help

Ohhh. Picking the eggs up makes the question make sense. I was wondering how anons were using 2+ eggs to solve it.
Thank you. I get it now.

they usually set up the contract with a person that if they follow and finish the training or whatever they have to stay at the company for atleast 2 years after that or pay back the study costs. your company is just retarded not doing that

Ok I'll give it a go:

Question 1: I will start at floor one, drop the eggs and if they do not break, I go up to the next floor until the eggs break.

Question 2: Not sure about this one, I understand n is a variable and a grid will have columns and rows but "give an algorithm to determine a local minimum in O(n)" has me confused.

Question 3: Not sure about this one either, I know it requires a random generator and a loop.

Could anyone explain?

I sense blue hair

You stupid niggers. You're searching for a target floor and your cost is the number of drops. So you want to figure out how to get the same number of expected drops regardless of the target floor

You have two eggs so two passes. On the first pass you start by taking large steps which get smaller and smaller so that by the time you're at the top of the building you're taking smaller steps (since you already took a bunch of steps to get there)

Since we're reducing each step by 1 in the first pass we find a series 1,2,...n-1,n whose sum is equal to 100

n(n+1)/2 = 100
n^2 + n - 200 = 0

The root is ~14. So first drop is 14, next is 13, etc. When it breaks you just go one by one from the last non break to find your target

My google onsite is in two months how fucked am I?

i sense butthurt

>your company is just retarded not doing that
Probably

Have you considered
>Maths & physics
>Compsci & physics
>Finance & physics
...dual honors?
Some of my friends did those subjects, and apart from some language electives they did voluntarily it was pure maths and physics.
They're all either working or doing PhDs now.

Attached: Caravaggio_ConversionOnTheWayToDamascus.jpg (3000x3941, 3.42M)

I’ll look into that. I already have a solid bit of gen ed out of the way from AP. I wish there were literally any jobs that hired with an AS so I could get paid while I get a BS though. At that rate I’d be in my late twenties with no work experience beyond McJobs.

Boomers. the answer is always baby boomers.

And philosophy is a massive brainlet center.
It's full of christtards asking inane questions about god and good.

>Here's a quiz from hackerrank that anyone could write if it was written in English. Good luck with literally the entire job interview process!

Attached: basic coding.png (850x519, 46K)

Just lie like everyone else you bitchboy.

Attached: 1554242306918.jpg (750x747, 67K)

>it worked like that 50 years ago
Suuuure it did.

tcm.com/mediaroom/video/715167/Best-Years-Of-Our-Lives-The-Movie-Clip-I-Just-Dropped-Bombs.html

>Where did it all go wrong?
Saturated market and bigger demands than job openings. CS is over, I'm a 2nd year student and I already know this is going to be a really hard path.

lmao do people really use this for interview?

Literally all it is asking you to do is write the inverse of a mapping. How dumb to you have to be to not be able to do this?

>undergrad
>thinks he knows anything

Nice try

It's an "easy" ranked HackerRank question.

Have fun with pic related.

Attached: Google.png (1321x588, 206K)

>being this upset you can't understand math notation taught in middle school