Dude just learn this chain of cryptic hotkeys to do something that takes two clicks in notepad++

>dude just learn this chain of cryptic hotkeys to do something that takes two clicks in notepad++

Attached: Vimlogo.svg.png (1200x1202, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spacemacs.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bait thread

>dude just learn these two clicks to do something that takes two clicks in

bait board

People on this board will actually fall for this stupid bait, watch:

He's right though.

I don't get why it has to be one or the other. Why can't we have both? A gui text editor that also has a model mode and can be used with a mouse.

It would lower the learning curve considerably without restricting power users.

Most popular GUI editors have vi mode, either preinstalled or as a plugin

vim has mouse support, and the vim plugin for vs code is clunky. VS code is just bad.

Don't know about Linux as I'm on windows but I use gvim for Windows and that can be used with a mouse, it's quicker with the keyboard 99% of the time though

I like vim and I do use it but i really wish it had a proper GUI. not that gvim trash, but a proper hardware accelerated fast gui.

4coder seems like a good step towards a fast gui but it seems too C++ centered however.

gvim justwerks on windows. not sure what brain damaged retard would think you need hardware acceleration for text mode programs

When people start to get good at using a piece of software, they start favouring keyboard shortcuts over mouse menus. Vim is just a gigantic bag of keyboard shortcuts with the GUI menus stripped out

Vim takes Vi and poorly retrofits it with a bunch of useless features that no one knows, plus a handful that are already possible with Vi if you know your shell commands.

The only thing people can say about Vim is "ooh, look, I don't have to move my hands from the keyboard!" What they don't know about Emacs and VSCode is that you can literally emulate Vim within them.

But what really pisses me off about Vim is when people describe it as "minimalist." It's not minimalist. Ed is minimalist. Vi is minimalist. I once tried configuring Vim to STOP FORMATTING MY LINES FOR ME with `:se fo=q`. When I put it in the `.vimrc` it ONLY WORKED FOR FILES WITH NO EXTENSION in their name. I don't want Vim to automatically interpret what kind of file I'm using to try to give me fancy features for it. I want to manipulate a buffer of text. Why does Vim have a spell checker? Why does Vim create its own version of shell commands? The average Vim user probably doesn't even know what the `fold` command is because for them it's `gq` on a visual block. I don't want my text editor to do that; that's what the shell is for!

If you want more than a text editor out of your text editor, then please use something like Emacs or VSCode. Vim can't implement things as properly as them because it's all built on top of a program that wasn't made to be used how it now is. And don't even get me started on Vimscript.

Spicy

reddit has vim-keybinding

Emacs has this by default

I want a fast editor like Vim that has 1 click plugin install like VSCode

VSCode is too slow
Vim is too autistic to configure and shit like autocomplete never just werks

bait net

In the time it took you to move your hand off the keyboard, navigate whatever dropdown menus, and click your buttons, I already finished the command and have typed another 2 or 3 lines.

life is bait

I used vim for 15 years, but I've switched to Spacemacs as my main editor.

It provides an ergonomic UI to the vast Emacs elisp ecosystem while defaulting to fairly decent vi keybindings. If you're a vim user, give Spacemacs at least one try.

Its space menu is ingenious. While in command mode, you hit space, and you get a tree of commands right before your eyes. It makes it possible to explore emacs quickly, and it eliminates the awkward chorded keys that will wreck your fingers and wrists.

Spacemacs is brilliant, and you almost have to be a vi user first to really appreciate it.

spacemacs.org/

Attached: spacemacs-icon.png (512x512, 40K)

>vim
:wq
close terminal
>any other text erditor
move mouse
hover over save button
click
hover down to "save as"
pick file type
move mouse
hover over close button
click

>:wq
>not using ultrabased ZZ
pleb detected

>i have to press a bunch of keys to do trivial one-click actions but it feels fast to me! i feel like im going faster!
ladies and gentlemen, vim

It's when you have to do non-trivial things when vim shines. In command mode, it's like you're having a conversation with your editor. It's the king of complex bulk manipulation if your proficient in it. It allows for a level of text editing efficiency that's unthinkable for a modeless editor, but you have to really think in the vi way.

I've used vim for 10 months, but I found I don't need all that functionality so now I just use Gedit.
ctrl+s, ctrl+q

>not using the patrician-tier :x

Attached: 1533848965742.jpg (1024x768, 333K)

is there any reason to learn vim/emacs besides remote development over ssh where it is huge advantage indeed. But why would you develop in it locally? WHY??

Attached: 1493555534529.png (968x733, 206K)

Bloated and takes forever to start up.

You can click around in Vim pretty much like in any other editor. But you don't want to, because that is indeed inefficient, which you'd know if you weren't just sour grapes.

Why would you *not* use Vim? Lemme guess, you're a vscode-using pajeet, right?

When you use emacs, you leave it running for a long time. The usage style is different.

I used to be like you guys, I tried multiple times to learn vim and gave up every time because "fuck this autistic shit what's the point of learning all these hotkeys".
Then I finally decided to learn it for good and now I've been using it for 2 years and I'm never going back, it pains me to use GUI editors at this point because it takes me literally 3x as long to do anything.

>clicks
No, thanks. Leave the all.

That's better than :wq but worse than ZZ

Samefag

True, but worth noting you can use vim in largely the same way. Multiple windows (splits), buffers, tabs. This is also the easiest way to copy/paste between multiple files. You can do some cool stuff with macros and window management also. You can include changing windows in the macro so you can do something like delete line 2 of two side-by-side files and save both.

So emacs with evil mode installed.

>useless features that no one knows
I'm pretty sure just *you* don't know them and therefore can't know if they're useful.
>What they don't know about Emacs and VSCode is that you can literally emulate Vim within them
Except all of the features you conveniently ignore and a ton of extra shit that Vim users don't want.
>it ONLY WORKED FOR FILES WITH NO EXTENSION
That's because format options are set at the time of filetype detection and you need to use an autocommand.
But I guess the filetype detection and autocommand features are "useless" and "no one knows" them.
>Why does Vim create its own version of shell commands?
Vim has thin wrappers that *run* shell commands on your system and populate its powerful list system.
It does not actually reimplement "make" or "grep".
I suppose that lists are also useless.

Ah yes, the notoriously easy to pick up editor Emacs.

>And don't even get me started on Vimscript.
>says the emacsfag

I know this is probably a meme but I literally lost my _gvimrc the other day