Ableton vs. FL

Sup Jow Forumstards,

I'm looking to fool around with one or both of Ableton Live or FL Studio. Any thoughts/recommendations for a complete beginner? Last formal musical experience I had was in eighth grade band ten years ago.

Attached: 7C2AB18D-20AF-4311-9CCC-D73DC5A34D98.jpg (615x620, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DVJGfXzbeX8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Install both of them and decide for yourself, faggot.

fl more user friendly imo. both do most of the same things.

Use Reaper or Sunvox

Fl is a step sequencer, ableton was born for live performances.
Two breeds for two different needs, no such things as "more user friendly" unless you compare reaper and garageband.
To OP, try them both, and try also studio one.
It's as buggy as the other two but its workflow is stellar. Good if you're starting out.
Only downside is the lack of genre specific tutorials but you can figure stuff out if you're not autistic.

If you are a complete beginner, go with fl. If you have seen someone working with a professioan software somewhere and know some bits about music production, go with Live. If you aspire to be a dj, or want to mix stuff live, go with Live. I started with Fl. It's great for beginners. Live on the first glance seems daunting. But now I feel the workflow of live faster. Also if you want to produce midi based music and don't have hardware, go with Fl. After mastering the basics in one daw, try others(Bitwig is good, and imo better than Live; Studio one is great too)

i've used both extensively and honestly the one and only reason i'd say ableton is that every sample is it's own individual object in ableton, where in FL studio, if you drag a sample in, copy it, and change one of their pitches, it changes the other samples pitch too. however, FL studio is also free to use, you just can't open save files... but you can just leave it open forever so that's not a big deal.

if you're recording guitars and vocals, just get cubase 10. if you're just into dj techno stuff, get bitwig, it's ableton but better.

i do not think that FL studio is more beginner or user friendly.

>After mastering the basics in one daw, try others

don't do this. it's a waste of time. just stick to whatever you get.

>Use Reaper or Sunvox

definitely, definitely do not do this.

Worked with both for long years. Both very good in their own ways. FL studio more user friendly.

Chose FL studio in the end, because pirating is for pussies, and it's the cheapest of the two, with lifetime free updates.
Cheers

Neither. You use Harrison Mixbus 32c.

i have yet to see any explanation for why anyone thinks FL studio is 'more user friendly'.

Hmmm, not sure either
but it really is notorious for being "user friendly"
or having that "fl studio sound"

i have yet to see anyone presenting proof of "fl studio sound" existing

people always say it's user friendly, i surely do not know what they mean or why they say that. what would 'user friendly' entail in this case? if anything ableton is more user friendly because it's easier to get into screens by clicking on the part that you want to manipulate where using FL studio you have to keep your fingers on the function keys mostly F5 through F9 to be fast, and most beginners won't know that.

and there is no FL studio sound, it sounds the same as any other software.

It's clearly DAW banter if you haven't realised that yet
Back in the day alot of newcomers tended to use the same plugins, samples, etc. which was called the "fl studio sound"
Mixed with very generic newbie sound design and voila, easy to spot when you find it

doesn't matter, pick one and grow with it
there's no magic in a DAW, the magic comes from the user
you can even use audacity if that is what you want
YOU, the user, is the one who does the magic

spend a year or two inside a DAW get to know it, how the workflow is for you etc.
and try switching around if you feel like trying something new

Use tuxguitar

well I saw noisia claim that

the only thing that I can think off, is that fl studio comes with "circular panning" by default, and im not sure if the rest come with "triangular panning" by default..

Reaper is cheaper !

You'll need a MIDI keyboard.
Also buy Kontakt for the VSTs. The best way to get it is waiting for discounts, get the free drums from the weird website in German so you can get the cross-grade discount when getting Kontakt. Once you are doing well, upgrade to Komplete when the discount is available.

LMMS

He's 100% right about Konakt. I have Komplete 12 and it can be a lifesaver for trying to make or replicate a specific sound.
However, I recommend Serum and or Sylenth1 before Kontakt simply because of the quality of the product and I believe anyways that Serum even as complex as it is, it's the best Synth to use as a learning device mainly because of how visual everything is.

I use FL. I haven't needed to use any other DAW due to restrictions or whatever. I'll probably use FL exclusively forever.

Attached: E9FE5A51-6336-41B6-83A6-9052AEA314AC.jpg (4032x3024, 2.07M)

serum is godsent + paired with cthulu, you can spend hours upon hours making arps that make you jizz

Yeah I tell others its so complex/fun it almost feels like a DAW based on how much I work on some patches.

Bless thy Duda and his autism

OP here, thanks for all the great tips! I’m planning on trying my hand at house + DnB first

Any recommendations for cheap starter keyboard (if you really do need one)? Happy to shell out $100-$150ish

Cool stuff, I like the macro/micro concept of DAW + patch editor. I’m a programmer so hopefully will be pretty comfortable with the plugins, etc. architectures and can focus more on the music

There is no such thing as a better 3rd party plugins can make FL do whatever ableton does and vice versa what matters is your skill as a musician

Is Cthulhu good for making ver fast, busy Chiptune-style arps and such? I enjoy that sound very much, but I suck at programming it note-by note.

A white man writes his own arps do it how a fucking white man does it nigger fucking dumb gorilla nigger

How many keys would you like?

If you want compact I recommend the AKAI MPK Mini. Does the job well and got some extras but like I said its bretty small.

Mid size Id recommend the Alesis V49

If the tool is available there is no reason not to use it to your advantage except for pride... which most musicians have wayyy too much of.

I use cthulu sometimes I just like writing my own arps I was just terry posting you are newfag to Jow Forums aren't you

My question still has not been answered. Can I use it to write extremely fast, 32-64th note arps and also other various sequences?

Yep I just found out about 4channel today from r/I_am_a_giant_faggot and links to here were running rampant

Yeah I got the Terry reference but my point I was trying to make is still true regardless.
He only used his arp for his flight simulator I believe, wasted potential

Attached: 636D7D43-EC1B-476D-ACA7-A645E92F46C5.png (300x236, 89K)

Does that guy have Down's Syndrome or something?

Yes retard

Attached: AD01D57A-F447-4DF8-92C6-406980F4B490.png (500x636, 134K)

Thank you.

What I really like about Cthulhu is that you can patch in whatever you want as the generator. Its fun to make patches with.

producing vs composing

which do you want to do?

>if you drag a sample in, copy it, and change one of their pitches, it changes the other samples pitch too

this is not true unless you use global pitch shift.

FL studio can be used for live production. can even be controlled with an ipad, phone etc.
youtu.be/DVJGfXzbeX8