Caveman thread

What newer technology do you refuse to use? What are you sceptical about?

Attached: stone-age-tools.jpg (300x301, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7lObY0aV0
youtube.com/watch?v=-DB7PSOyUL8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

social media

Fire bad! Stick rock good enough!!! Very reliable!!! Fire hurt and scary!!

New phones. BB10 was the peak mobile operating system. Android took over just because it's free. I still have no idea why iOS exists at all.

this and alexa type stuff

windows 10, only because I'm using windows 7 with 10000 gorillian installed applications and setting changes that it'll take me over a month to migrate and get everything in order.

Wireless stuff. Dont like wireless mice or keyboards or charge pads. Gimme muh cables.

british telecom
i think its the copper wire, they sell as 'fiber'
because .. if there is fiber in the line
its all fiber

You spend all your new shiny rocks on a brand new loin cloth every month user? Why you ain't using good old fashion fig leaves?

I don't use social media

I never connect to the internet with my phone

Honestly it's tough

I would use iOS desu so long as iTunes were discontinued and I could install apps from APK.

british telecom sell a 5mb/s connection, it being 5mb/s because its steampunk (copper)
as fiber , with a premium, they advertise, because some of the route, is 'fiber' ,. I think i'm cynical about the zero investment in telecom/infastructure, from the backward UK government, 'british telecom', who are more interested in marketing 'TV' which they aren't even capable of. That.

thread theme
>youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7lObY0aV0

that picture (op), is a british telecom engineer

social media

Why do you like BB10? Never used it.

Based

How people can legit talk to those things without feeling weird or cringy is beyond me.

You ain't missing much.

streaming music in place of local digital files. Storage, both portable and desktop, easily covers my entire music collection so I don't see why I should rely on the internet for music instead.
>inb4 'poorfag just doesn't want to pay!'
I buy physical copies of music. I don't like the idea of paying for a music service rather than just owning a copy. Any sort of digital copy or form of music has no monetary value to me.

I refuse to use smartphone for internet stuff. I have one, but i turned off wifi and use it as .pdf reader and mp3 player, but i am scared of using it for browsing.

Understandable.

E-money. Not having cold hard cash means the government owns your money. They can at any time freeze your account, block you from buying "subversive" things, track your transactions, location. Not to mention private companies data mining your spending patterns.

I think my dad was with BT at his last house (out of necesity) and he got less than 1mbps download. 100 or 200kbps were normal for him. They are dogshit.

Fellow brit here and BT isn't the worst. I refuse outright to pay for the most backward thing in this country, the TV license. Fuck that for a laugh.

Kek

Why not your phone? I check stuff online all the time with my phone.

Why are you scared of using it for browsing? if you think the nsa is spying on you through the camera then put tape over it

How does that boy even exist? I wanna cry now.

>Why do you like BB10? Never used it.
It's really well-thought-out. It's designed around communication and productivity. You've got the hub where you can access all the messages and calls and notifications regardless of where they're from (however messenger for BB10 got deprecated and the android app can only display notifications instead of integrated messages). Then you've got superior multitasking (I know in some recent android version they finally thought of improving it) where your home screen holds the opened programs. It makes switching really efficient, especially combined with gestures. Just swipe up from bottom and you're in the home screen. Swipe up and right and you're in the hub. All native programs run smooth even though it's an old phone. It has also Android runtime for compatibility but it runs pretty slow (and some apps don't work anyway). I might add something later.

Here is some demo of gestures and multitasking I found (featuring an older version of BB10):
youtube.com/watch?v=-DB7PSOyUL8

Why are you spooked user?

>thinking your inflationary non-gold backed jew money will save you.
Just kidding user, I actually really respect that. You keep all your funds in cash or just take out money on the regular?

>Why are you scared of using it for browsing?
Because the smart-phones are unfamiliar setting to me and i am afraid of making mistake and compromising compromising the phone's system and then passwords i would use there.

I am aware of such stance having positive feedback reinforcing itself and generally not being healthy, thank you very much. I probably could search for some "Boomer's guide to becoming Android power-user or something", i guess.

>if you think the nsa is spying on you through the camera then put tape over it
I obviously already did that.

Wow that's really interesting. Thanks user

The paleo remix is good though

I hate banks and credit cards. I have no bank account and I only use cash and bitcoin.

The tape wont save you from shit. They have far more sophisticated methods of surveilling you. If the non browser things works for you though user, then more power to you.

You cant remix dogshit and make it good user.

If you dont mind me asking, how do you do stuff day to day? How do you get paid? Do you do any shopping online with gift cards and such? Do you ever get shit for counting out bank notes at a checkout or something? What's your life like user I am really fascinated by people who do this. Cheers in advance.

I disagree.

Things I will NEVER use:
>netflix and similar streaming services
>spotify and similar streaming services
>wireless mice, keyboards, headphones
>tinder and similar dating apps/sites
>anything made by *pple
Things I actually use:
>social media (twitter, facebook, instagram, reddit, 4channel)
>a tablet
>twitch.tv

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 70K)

>how do you do stuff day to day? How do you get paid?
In cash.
>Do you do any shopping online with gift cards and such?
In my country you can shop online and then pay in cash in a place near you and that will confirm the purchase, kinda like western union? I'm not sure how that works.
>Do you ever get shit for counting out bank notes at a checkout or something?
No, it isn't uncommon to pay in cash in my country.

Have used all those save twitch and now only use tinder. Am I the eternal boomer?

Ah ok. In Britain we dont have the online shopping situation you have. You pay by card or PayPal or gift cards online. You also wont find anyone getting paid by cash unless its builders or such. And here we dont have 1GBP notes, only coins so you end up with a fist full of heavy metal coins if you pay cash usually.

>becoming Android power-user
fuck that robot and its company fucking opt-out trend.
I can't stand design of settings menu structure (android and google account) most of settings that i needed to toggle were named dumb af.
It would be better if I at least had search box.
>tape over camera
seriously? If someone gained access to your device camera is only nice addition. Scavenging data from your device tells much more (phone calls, sms messages, photos, downloaded files, saved network passwords/names/MACadr, location services)

Why don't you just use dumbphone instead since you don't use any "smart" features?
It can be perfect solution for someone like you

I will never use an optical mouse. I don't see any way that they are better than a traditional trackball and they don't look ergonomic at all. I will never use a ball mouse again, either, due to the ergonomics issue.

Jow Forums is social media.

Now that's some obscure shit user, those things look super tricky to use. Aren't they for 3D work and such?

Lol no

smartphones.
I'd say mobile phones in general if it was possible to live without one.

>The tape wont save you from shit.
I don't believe it would prevent competent information service from spying on me, but it may be good enough to stop some rudimentary attacks of maybe just be making some awkward mistakes. No?

>fuck that robot and its company fucking opt-out trend.
>I can't stand design of settings menu structure
I am inclined to agree on that, but i am new to smartphones.

>seriously? If someone gained access to your device camera is only nice addition.
See above. I probably not, but i don't miss it, so it's no loss for me and small loss for them.

> Scavenging data from your device tells much more (phone calls, sms messages, photos, downloaded files, saved network passwords/names/MACadr, location services)
Arguably so, but as i established earlier , i don't use phone for internet stuff.

>Why don't you just use dumbphone instead since you don't use any "smart" features?
>It can be perfect solution for someone like you
Probably so, but i got this one second-hand for free from family member. If i don't connect it to internet, it should be ad good ad dumbphone. Or am i missing something?

They're fine once you get used to them, I felt no difference when I switched from my ball mouse. I use a few, but this one is my favourite. I have a good wrist rest, which is important to have with this. You can then just rest your wrist while your thumb does everything for you. Plus you never have to pull back if you run out of desk space.

Attached: trackman.jpg (492x454, 42K)

Damn that's ATG, solid form

based

>rudimentary attacks
Yeah, it could do. But there is a factor of people that rest on their laurels when they do this and think they solved their issues.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I wish it was pre mobile phones.

IoT anything
Social media
Phones with non-removable batteries
Tablets

I don't have one. It's not that hard to live without it, but I work from home so my landline suffices.

/thread

Based. I dont use my phone enough to need a sealable battery but I get it. But i do like tablets for matching video in bed rather than propping my laptop on my leg and getting third degree burns.

*watching video

iot
wireless peripherals
streaming video games

Fuck wireless headphones.
>Die after 5 hours
>drop bluetooth every 30 minutes
>cant run with them
>beeps and tells me 10 minutes till heat death of your earphones before it runs out of power and interrupts muh podcast

LED/Plasma TVs, electric heaters, mobile phones, Bluetooth, electric oven, tea bags, power tools, streaming services, electric toothbrushes, Wi-Fi, alarm clocks.

-internet of shit, smart home gimmicks (Alexa, smart appliances etc. Grug need no chip in cold box)
-antisocial media, save for a twitter acc with fake name and cock.li email to follow some crap
-instant messengers died for me with MSN
-paid video streaming (netflix etc)
-mobile phone NCF payments
-"""""""""""self-driving"""""""""""""""" vehicles
-smartphones with no SD slot. "Non-replaceable" battery is a turnoff, but at worst I can be disassemble and replace it, no big deal.

actual caveman right there

>should be as good as dumbphone
If you will never ever connect it to internet.
Smartphones gather information even offline and can upload them as soon as they establish network connection.
Dumbphones mostly don't or even are able to reach wi-fi (assuming you dont have celluar data free, then even this way upload will not work)

obscure os also make it harder to install software backdoor but it does not make it harder to extract data while having physical access to device.
Up-side of dumbphones is reducing possibility to track you remotely, only remotely

How do you live user?

I used google play music for a while, because they had tons of local shit that I found hard to find even on torrents and local sellers (I am from ex-yugoslavia). I found it amazing that they had it, desu, but besides that I agree 1000000000000000000% with you.

Also, with a good soundcard and some nice headphones, FLAC really shines in SOME songs. DESU, I found it not to be worth in the long run, even as a amateur musician my self.

No social media
No fingerprint sensor
No smart meme IoT devices (except for Android box)

Incredible gains for those who do cavebro squats.

I will be interested to see what this new stadia is like but I am sceptical.

How is cock.li? It looks interesting but if there is an issue I dont want my life saved to this one service as one guy runs it and of he gets hit by a bus I'm fucked.

Seriously mate, no alarm clock? How do you manage?

CRT TV, fire, email, wired peripherals, gas oven, tea leaves, hand tools, downloads, regular toothbrush, ethernet, sun/animals. Those are my alternatives. I just like what I am used to.

>How do you manage?
You'd be surprised how well you can get along without it. The sun and my animals wake me up if I sleep in. But I try to be up before dawn. And most days I am.

>How is cock.li?
As long as you don't need it for something dead serious, it's the best around, especially for random registrations you don't want to use your main email for. Sadly the domains are blacklisted on a lot of placed (because of a shared spamlist I guess), so you cannot use the emails everywhere.

Automatic transmission.

Smart Watches, current Gen non-cord Earphones (honestly, I like the idea because fuck cables, but it needs to be worked on a little bit for it to be appealing), Apple anything, 144hz Monitors and over-priced gimmicky TVs, Virtual Personal Assistants (Cortana, Alexa etc), Social-Media, Cryptocurrency, New Smartphones (the price is not worth the upgrade, even with all the money in the world), some subscription streaming services like music (desu I don't mind games and movies, tho, guess I just don't care about them enough), New Gibson Guitars (complete and utter shit)...

hmmm, did I miss something?

I only use motor vehicles when absolutely necessary, but if I drive it is a manual transmission.

Pretty based actually. Tbh I would like that pretty chill lifestyle. Do you have a regular job cos the cockerel waking me up would only be feasible if i worked from home. Have you thought about one of those travel alarms which are basically egg timers that you wind up? I suppose with a strong routine you will be okay without.

Mostly same for me desu. Nice list man.

I love how you called it a motor vehicle ancient user. Kawaii.

I call it horseless carriage.

I work from home, so it is easy for me. I would rather make less money and be able to have a relaxed lifestyle than make more contorting my schedule to the will of something external.
I just don't like to be awakened by alarms, so I would never use one no matter what it was like. They are too alarming.

I call it a combustible wheeliebob.

Absolutely based and redpilled. Got your priorities sorted. Mind if I ask what you do?

Electron.
In my opinion, it will NEVER EVER be acceptable to have a 500MB runtime per application, no matter how trivial it is (and most electronshit IS trivial).
Computers used to run complex and super fast programs before they even had 500MB of memory total, now we have these abominations requiring a ton of resources and STILL running like fucking garbage.
What a fucking deal.

I wonder, though: Is there anything like ReactJS for Qt or (heavens beware) GTK+ that I can recommend to the people who want to force this huge burden on their users because they don't want to have imperative UIs?
I can understand why they wouldn't want to have that.

Most of my income is from freelance programming, but I also do odd jobs in the nearest town. For instance, I teach people computing basics at the library once a week and also take repair jobs from them. Usually they are older people, which is nice since I get along better with them and they are generally cleaner. I hate when people give me filthy computers to fix. I also buy and sell stuff sometimes. That is mostly down to connections, though, so I can't often get cheap goods.

That's cool user. Sounds like you lead a pretty zen life. Age?

This, also any software that uses a gui.

i dont use social media
i dont use a mobile phone
i still use xp

>xp
Incredibly based

Cool, you sounded older but it's great you have such a chill lifestyle at your age. I think it makes you happier in the long run.

I wont use any machine that runs from electricity. If it doesn't have A coal engine on the back, you can stock it up your arse.

anything wireless, apple products, news and social media, tablets, e-readers, mechanical keyboards

No mechanical keyboards? I thought this was the patrician choice or so they say?

I'm with BT, I get 100mb/s

Discord, instagram and the like. Anything wireless. Anything from Apple or Samsung. Anything from Adobe.

Living the dream.

>alexa
Each day there is more evidence the NPC meme is real.

Farm bloat! Use much space! Me get food with spear!

Attached: cavebob.jpg (400x267, 26K)

Instagram. I can understand the appeal of shit like Facebook, but Instagram is just a foreign concept for me.

Internet banking. It's a fucking pain in the ass but after seeing people selling cc account like it was nothing I got really skeptical about it. I'm almost giving up because fuck banks, they can reimburse whatever you lost, supposedly.

Instagram became the ONLY original appeal of Facebook for me: seeing pictures of my friends.

Facebook became a boomer platform for political rants and adds. I just want to see pics of my friends. My fb timeline turned into pure aids.

In the early IG days, it was JUST pics of my friends. No adds. No clutter. Basically what my timeline should be.

IG has become aids like fb now, though. The discover section is pure aids. The ads are pure aids. And the out of order timeline is pure aids.

I fully gdpr deleted my IG after the recent stories of plaintext passwords being stored and accessible by thousands of engineer. Fuck those imcompentent fucks.

Facebook was never about setting pics of your friends, you turbo normie

Fuck outta here, nigger.

Cellular phones. They will be the destruction of civilization.

Attached: 2007.jpg (4576x2000, 1.85M)

>tinder and similar dating apps/sites
you're missing out on sloots
>spotify and similar streaming services
convenient for finding new artists, I still curate my own library, but it's nice to add songs from full albums I won't download because they're full of shit.
>social media (twitter, facebook, instagram, reddit, 4channel)
why

>My fb timeline turned into pure aids.
That says more about your friends than about Facebook, though.

Attached: NGC6979_wager.jpg (1632x2500, 3.88M)

fpbp

Good for you. Some parts of north west England are fucking archaic though. My dad phoned them 1000 times and asked when they'd improve the cables that haveby been touched in 15 years and they told him that they were not budgeting for this area at this time. They are absolute dogshit but like any big company, they know how to keep enough customers.

True they are literally just pacifist zombies at this point.

Its for thots and thirsty beats. Seen from that perspective it isn't hard to know why it exists but yeah I dont get it from my point of view for sure.

You have something of a point when you say it is what Facebook was. I'd say it was what Facebook users EXPECTED Facebook to be. But really IG is just a thot farm.

He has a point, see above.

Why will they? You dont even have a dumb phone?

>sloots
No he isn't. I'm not a bad looking guy and I get almost no action on there. The Chad gravitational field is real user.

>songs
Why not just download the single song via a torrent my dood?

>social media
Must you ask? It's more cancerous being on there than it was to live in pripyat after all those issues with the local power plant.

I can get some application for wireless headphones, and maybe mice if youre an absolute neat freak but otherwise i agree with you user

This but
>Use wireless devices like headphones etc
>Android computer/OS

Never use -
>Social media (excluding shit4chan since it leeches off of Twitter,Facebook,9gaddit and Instagram for data/money) (thanks roshimoot)
>Twitch

Attached: cc1.jpg (447x618, 103K)

The same can be said for the original Gameboy and sega game gear. Excluding Bluetooth

>Save for twitter

>social media
>cortana/alexa/google botnet
>facial recognition
>microsoft account

Ironically do all of this when I have no power.

I am the ultimate minimalist neat freak and fell for the apple meme and got a macbook air and iPhone and shit for their meme clean tech. But even I came to understand that headphones are no good wireless. Mice and keyboards sure, but that's about it.