The year is 2019

The year is 2019

People are still using clones of an OS from the 70s

50 years later and everyone still uses the retarded Unix userland

Why aren’t we doing something about this?

Attached: E2077E91-395A-4035-A22B-04C1C57C9DF3.jpg (750x1238, 573K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utah2000/utah2000.html/
youtu.be/cIXOH1tJJu4
helenos.org/
genode.org/
contiki-os.org/
haiku-os.org/
9front.org/
l4re.org/
github.com/TUD-OS/M3
ts.data61.csiro.au/projects/seL4/
github.com/Nils-TUD/Escape
github.com/f9micro/
robigalia.org/
redox-os.org/
hypervisor.org/
muen.sk/
nuttx.org/
ecos.sourceware.org/
rtems.org/
github.com/tinyos/tinyos-main
zephyrproject.org/
github.com/echronos/echronos
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

David is a based boomer 2bqh

based david murray

This is an interesting question too few people seem to bring up.

All the churn has moved to the upper layers of the stack. We're innovating by reimplementing the same primitives over the old ones.

Rob Pike wrote something in this regard:
Systems Software Research is Irrelevant doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/utah2000/utah2000.html/

Google is making a new kernel

Can someone post that webm where he runs?

I'll switch when something better comes out.

Wow that’s a whole new level of targeted advertisement coming.

>all this redditspacing
>twitter screenshot without source link

I don't have the webm, but I have the source

People in gyms are still training with barbells, too.

Some good things are just timeless. I bet you're the kind of faggot who uses Nautilus machines.

then post the source

If you're triggered by this shit so much why don't *YOU* do something about this?

oh, I forgot
youtu.be/cIXOH1tJJu4

Interesting read. My take is that the 70s experimenting frenzy has nearly died off, once we got to stable point as far as operating systems and languages go, we moved on. Nowadays the big hot field is big data and AI.

Only retards and people trying to show off (aka retards) use barbells in $currentyear. Machines provide much more gains.

>50 years later and everyone still uses the retarded Unix userland
Too obvious. Try again fucko

As if an operating system were on the same level of complexity as a barbell. Back to Jow Forums and your protein routine, please.

Nobody thinking with their own head would deem Unix good. For most people, it's just how things have ever been and are thus supposed to be. There's no possible alternative.

Why don't *YOU* fuck off instead of attacking people who dare to pose thoughtful questions?

>Why aren’t we doing something about this?
Hardware evolved to suit C. x86-64 ASM became the universal portable programming language. The web browser is the normie's emacs. It would be too difficult to build a fully compatible system with novel and groundbreaking ideas now because the old cruft from the 70's dominates everything about computers all the way up to the userspace operating system level where the web browser exists. The only thing that could possibly save us at this point is a hardware architecture that runs JavaScript natively and a software stack entirely based on web technologies.
The lisp machines tried but since they couldn't make cheap smartphones at the time everything failed.

windows is a pile of crap in practice

False premise.
helenos.org/
genode.org/
contiki-os.org/
haiku-os.org/
9front.org/
l4re.org/
github.com/TUD-OS/M3
ts.data61.csiro.au/projects/seL4/
github.com/Nils-TUD/Escape
github.com/f9micro/
robigalia.org/
redox-os.org/
hypervisor.org/
muen.sk/

Attached: 1554087092918.png (1280x720, 673K)

Just like Linux then

I like how boomerish his editing is, it really feels like someone who just learned how to use imovie

nuttx.org/
ecos.sourceware.org/
rtems.org/
github.com/tinyos/tinyos-main
zephyrproject.org/
github.com/echronos/echronos

Attached: 1551285638269.png (1000x1210, 427K)

Interesting list. Thanks.

Because there is no better alternative. Unix is shit, but only mildly so; there is simply not enough pressure for something new. Most of the alternatives are either a Windows-tier blob of trash, or academic toys by people who still haven't accepted that microkernels were a failed experiment.

Plan 9 came close to being Unix's successor, but academics hated it because Rob Pike is severely autistic and made the standard UI incredibly annoying for end users.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unix (and Windows) work, so there's no reason to replace them.

Linux powers most servers and many embedded devices, and it won't get replaced there because it works.

Windows powers most desktops and it won't get replaced (not even with Linux) because it works.

iOS and Android power most phones and it won't get replaced because they work.

Even if it has old design, it works so there's no reason to replace them unless there's a killer application which won't work on Unix or Windows.

You beat me to it.

Literally this
/Thread

Write a new set of base userland tools and repl with better naming and functionality without all the repeating bloat. A better command line language that has more functionality built in because all of them I've tried suck so bad in many many ways.

Linux is not a general purpose OS.
Only a hard RTOS can be a general purpose OS.
Linux can never be a hard RTOS, because hard realtime means guarantee of meeting deadlines, which a monolithic kernel can't ever be formally verified to do.
Linux is shit and on its way out.
Unfortunately, it looks like Fuchsia is going to win as the replacement. Considering it's google's, it's anything but good news.

Attached: 1546297544326.png (1242x585, 699K)

Based dyel retard

A hard RTOS is not general-purpose at all, who the hell gave you that idea?

A hard RTOS can be anything (i.e. it can be general purpose).
Something else cannot be a hard RTOS, thus something else cannot trully be general purpose.

Attached: 1537086416204.png (300x300, 151K)