>2019
>not using this

Attached: docker_facebook_share.png (336x287, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=docking&page=4
jlesage.github.io/docker-apps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=docking&page=4

>not inserting your penis into the foreskin of another man's penis

Completely unnecessary/irrelevant to use when firejail already exists and is much better/functional.

kek

Use it for what it's meant to be used for: containerizing application so they run in production. If you're using software on your own machine, just install it normally. The only reason to use this for running application is if you need something temporarily or need some service running. (Like a database)

It's horrible for databases tho.

whatever red hat is pushing is good unironically and Jow Forums should stop following neet memes

y tho

Strong use cases for running containers locally are:

1. Setting up a complex system based on a plethora of technologies for a full-scale integration test.
2. Developing legacy applications that can't be run on a modern local system without significant manual labor. My day job sometimes involves touching a legacy PHP 5.3 application that's too big to upgrade.
3. Working on a variety of projects that require environments so different that using typical language ecosystem's virtualenv-like capabilities become less practical than containers.

For production, Docker is fine as long as the number of containers and scaling are manageable. Otherwise, k8s is the way to go. I'd hold out for a long time before going full k8s, though, because that shit's complex as hell. Manually managing containers with docker-compose goes a long way until requiring something more powerful.

debootstrap/chroot already exists, you CADT pajeet

Docker on my NAS - a low-powered machine I can afford to run 24/7 - has been a godsend.
>qBittorrent and jDownloader2 for adding new media
>Handbrake and Beets tidying up my media
>Emby and Airsonic for serving up my media
>Duplicati for keeping overnight versioned backups of everything
I've still not worked out how to get containers to talk to each other - like when an application needs a MySQL database or whatever - but it's still pretty dang useful as-is.

>no gui

Useless

Can you help me with this? I want to build a big skeleton of an app in k8s, I want my spri g boot api in a container, same for react client, postgres, redis (caching, no inmemory db faggotry), keycloak for auth, a docker registry container to push changed api and client to it, and a jenkins container that builds the api and client containers and pushes them to the registry.
my question is how to develop using this?, since the builds take some time, and when I'm developing I'm used to quickly start my app and test my changes, I suck at junit or JS related testing and need to learn how that shit works... I'm also new to k8s, got everything working except for jenkins and registry, still trying to find a way to make them work, now this seems to me like a good micro services template to start with, I can reuse it with new projects, etc...
also, got comfortable with docker and docker compose config, k8s is harder, should I start with implementing those things in docker compose then when everything is working try and get it to work with k8s? also is there a way to restart the api container everytime I change my java code and just rerun it? it works in my IDE, why do I need to either pack a jar and copy to my api container and run it, or use a maven container and rebuild the jar internally everytime I change something? (this is a retarded question I guess)
ps: i don't do shit in my job (work as software dev in a university) and have lots of free time in my job, so i'm learning new shit to become better and also look busy, i'm open to new suggestions

>no gui
Stop breathing anytime user. Preferably soon.

Can someone give me a simplified one liner explanation on what those containerization tools are for and why the fuck should I use them, please?

This is just bloat ware for people who use shit distros without user repositories.

I find it very convenient when a project offers a docker image for evaluation that includes everything it needs to work instead of me having to setup a VM, setup a database, configure the shit, and so on and so forth just to evaluate if it's worth considering further.
Fucked if I know why you'd use this in a production environment.

sure.

you shouldn't ever use them

Lets say I'm a private individual who rents a dedicated server to selfhost shit. For what use case would I use docker instead of a clean regular installation?

Oversimplified but: it's VirtualBox only, instead of running an OS inside another, its applications instead.

Control over 'switching it on and off'. Easy backup of /config. Easy updates (stop container, download new image, clear data, start container).

Thanks. So it's like an entire separate environment for a single application? If I package my shit on Ubuntu using Docker will it work on every distro easily?

I use oVirt for my virtual machines, fuck docker and its crappy containers.

>ubuntu user is a shit packer

Attached: 1511884651094.png (782x786, 597K)

I've been following a tutorial on this from Stephen Grider, and holy fuck is it convoluted. Pretty cool but you have to learn a lot of boilerplate to use it.

I think that's right. I couldn't be certain, though, sorry. Maybe try the Docker reference material?

In fact yeah I think you're right; my fumbling grasp of Docker tells me that Docker (the application) translates between the host OS and the container. So, as long as the host runs the Docker app, the container will run on whatever the host is, and you interact with the container either via the terminal, or via a webUI

Docking is a verb describing the act of stretching one man's foreskin over another man's penis. I can onle be practiced between men if one of them is uncircumcised. This "foreplay" is best mixed with a little lube or pre-cum prior to the real fun beginning.

Can you use docker with GUI programs? Docker is best used on web systems, as far as i can tell.

Kind of. This guy puts Linux apps and a preconfigured VNC app inside minimal Linux installs, so you interact with them either through a web browser or a VNC client:
jlesage.github.io/docker-apps/

Most common way is either the commandline or a webUI though

you might be able to use x forwarding
ive setup xvfb for selenium in containers, but that was for integration tests, not an actual usable gui

You've clearly never used dockerhub then fucko,
Every server app you could ever want/need prepackaged into an environment guaranteed to work on any platform, with production ready orchestration tools.

>muh firefails

Fak awf with your legacy shit and move on.

put them on the same network and use the service name as host

>no gui
portainer.io

down syndrome much

>dockerhub

if you're using docker and not actually building your own images and stringing them together with compose you're fucking retarded

the majority of the stuff on dockerhub is complete trash

>deprecates your package manager
>psshh... nothin personnel kid

Sad but true. Plus you never know if the boi who created the image is a fag and implement a botnet

>scroll down
>instant epilepsy
is this the power of modern web design?

user... But you know you can mount your xserver socket into the container, right?

Vagrant is better

Yet another meme making life easier for retards.
We literally need nothing more than C and static linking. There was no real reason to make higher level languages than C other than making it easier for trannies.
Prove me wrong.

Vagrant isn't half as useful, it's focused on VMs which generally are not what you actually want, and the docker provider it has doesn't really match docker-compose or such.

I guess it's useful for some Windows desktop users stuck on VMWare and such.

Pretty useful for setting up various Dev environments. Also, straight forward port and shared folders settings + dead simple ssh make vagrant pretty useful. Docker is better for some things though.

>not using systemd's built-in containerization system instead of this trashware

kek what the fuck is that

wew, what year is it again?

systemd-nspawn and systemd-machined

Does it support Dockerfiles?

This.

>no gui
>Useless
you don't belong in linux, gtfo

yes
machinectl is a drop in replacement, because nobody wants to deal with docker shenanigans anymore

built from the same kernel APIs anyways....docker is defs heavier but its way sexier so it wins everytime in my book

>2019
>not using superior podman

I've read that db server should have access to all the RAM for maximum performance.
But afaik docker containers can be given access to all the RAM or at least to the most of it, so this isn't a problem actually.

Yet I still think that docker is a must only if you are going to make a swarm.
I like it, though.

I know that I shouldn't still be using Windows in current year but any workarounds to have Docker working at the same time as VMWare, or is there something I should switch to from VMWare for full VMs that works alongside Docker?

I used it to compile Tensorflow.
Which then wouldn't install because Tensorflow is a garbage package as evidenced by literal documented commands not working and configure options they know are broken which they don't disable or fix.

>tfw circumjewed
I'd try if I could

Just use Hyper-V for everything! However modern macOS versions don't work in Hyper-V, so it's kinda shit for iOS/macOS development. :(

Tensorflow works great on Windows with Anaconda.

Be the one doing the docking

> using a trimmed down vm because zoomers can't handle dependencies.
how about no

The typical docker-compose can handle dependencies though.

Can your "dependencies" method handle instantiating a variable number of 1 - 50k or something web server instances over a cluster while they shift around as part of load balancing, and all that? Is there any logic in making software that doesn't need to be tied to a very specific machine tied to a very specific machine?

Dependencies weren't invented for automation. You are moving goalposts and should kill yourself. Commit suicide. Cease existing. But first, think of your parents. And then fucking die.

no u

Docker-compose is a python garbage, just use the raw Docker.

Listen here fucko, you're wrong. I work for a tech company value at a billion dollars. What most people do is map the storage with a persistent volume claim and generate the my.ini file from the resource limit config before the pod starts up.

>Dependencies weren't invented for automation.
Of course not? Dependencies simply exist in "real life" processes, software and so on. And automation is simply also dealing with them.

Raw docker is Go garbage and overall less useful than the declarative docker-compose.

this, kek.

>2019
>comparing go with python's garbage

Just use kubernetes, docker-compose is utter shit.

So how many buzzwords do I need to learn to apply for a devops jobs?

>> Implying unaudited garbage developed by alphabet agencies isn't complete trash

You need an Indian name atleast

LXC or Docker?

Docker.

how does docker works on windows and mac? does still need a hypervisor to work?

Can you run same docker images on different kernels?

Yea. But basically just run it on your Linux machine.

Yes.

I shouldn't be surprised that Jow Forums is actually retarded the second they walk into anything related to enterprise or production environments but here we are

Docker is god level for actually being productive and deploying shit. I use it for everything. You can dockerize all your shit into images that just need to be run with environment variables for config.

I'm a c guy, why should i use this thing? What is the purpose?

You could use it to cross compile automatically for different architectures.

You don't have to waste your disk space to store the binaries for all the architectures.

Each docker container could fetch the required dependencies for a specific arch, build your program and drop the executable in a droplocation.

Afterwards all the junk can be deleted by deleting the container without polluting your system with shit.

docker on windows is basically a hyper v instance running linux
might as well install vmware instead

I know it was like this in win7 but is this really still the case?

How do they run their IIS container then if it's really just a linux vm?

can't be like that on win7 bc hyper-v wasn't implemented/isn't supported there

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant that they used "fishy" vm techniques in the background to make the docker experience possible

>How do they run their IIS container then if it's really just a linux vm?
Very poorly as it seems

Look at Google cloud code.. See the plugins for vscode and intellij

That guy is an idiot, but so are you.
Not every service needs to be a kubernetes of containers. If your app wasn't designed for containers, or if your app is simple enough, you can get by just fine with a shell script and Vagrant to test it with, and there's nothing wrong with that.
I wanna say you'll know if you need containers, but honestly, I bet a majority of the applications that use containers don't really need them. When you need them, they're invaluable. But you don't always need them.

And you cant do that without doecker?

> if your app is simple enough, you can get by just fine with a shell script and Vagrant to test it with
This and the other sentence suggest you think this is more straight-forward.

But no, Vagrant is a very bloated way to do this - even here Docker is slimmer. One of the few even slimmer options would be to use one of the many namespace jail chroot things, not Vagrant.

>docker
>not triton SDC zones
wew

it's just the pendulum swinging back from statically linked super executables back to shared libraries and now we have whole statically linked containers. Wait until the "shared container" concept takes off and we're in dependency hell again but now it's whole containers/stacks.

The docker icon whale would tip and sink if it was real. Completely unstable looking, bad design and improperly loaded. It would sink.

Once you start dealing with complicated codebases that rely on multiple runtimes and require special environment setup, it allows you to wrap it all up into a neat little ball and hand it off to dev ops for deployment.

Attached: 1554335187412.jpg (1280x718, 113K)

Code monkey developers that have no concept of good system design can hand off their webservices to some ops god to multiplex and auto kick off to defend against the inevitable meleak crashes

Attached: 1502230178905.png (372x351, 117K)

docker knowledge separates the programmers from the neets

>2019
>Running as Root

I am VMWare certified and docker literally does not make any fucking sense to me.

>I work for a billion dollar tech company that has so much fucking money and employees that we basically exclusively use Rube Goldberg machines in production because otherwise we'd all be bored. But it's okay because other people do it too and hey look at this diagram, it's like playing with Lego!

Attached: 1546736906105.jpg (436x536, 51K)