It seems GuixSD is aiming for April 30th for the 1.0 release...

It seems GuixSD is aiming for April 30th for the 1.0 release. I've been following their development for some time now and I'm pretty excited.

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00279.html

General GuixSD thread I guess.

Attached: guixsd.png (579x418, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00060.html
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Build-Systems.html
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Guix looks stupid cool.
How the frick do I use it, coming from Arch (non-OStree, System-d)

Attached: Chris_warai.jpg (740x864, 79K)

is this the best FSF approved distro?

I tried it once a while ago. You basically put your entire system config, including partitions, packages, running services, system-wide configs, and so on in a single Guile Scheme file that can then be saved and used on multiple systems to create an identical setup.
Hopefully the documentation has improved since I used it last.

I'd say so. It and PureOS seem to be the most up to date and polished.

it can also be used to generate multiple system 'builds' on one machine then you choose which to boot into via grub

i.e. generations

Absolutely. Trisquel is maintained by one guy who's busy all the time, parabola is okay but can dissapear at any time, and other distros are dead. Like the other user mentioned, pureos has a team behind it, but it's literally debian with no non-free or contrib repositiores. You might as well just use debian.

It also has a lot of manpower behind it, more than any other FSF distro I've ever seen.

>packages, running services, system-wide configs
Interesting...
Even with systemd, there was never a method for managing several disparate services unless you had some propritary webportal or some shit to monitor them.

This sounds like exactly what I need.

Attached: tenor.gif (280x358, 3.06M)

>guix, the package manager killer
>about to be officially launched
Is this the end of all other distros?

Attached: 1512838820839.png (726x726, 16K)

guix can run on top of other distros my dude(tte)

any word on if they will bump kernel to 5?

or rather what they will up the version(s) to

Hopefully. Features like are what make it powerful.

It's a rolling release distro, so I would assume you get the latest linux-libre kernel.

Samefag here. Searching through the mailing list I see a few weeks ago they were testing linux 5.0.5

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-04/msg00060.html

Guys, I am not shilling guix, legit concerned here. The distro scene is on unexplored waters with new competitors like snap/flatpaks and appimages mostly, binary distributions are almost kill. The source based distros on the other hand were about to be be the only survivors. That until I realized how different Guix is.

I am not using Guix and am mostly dedicated to a different distro (will not say which) but I am legit concerned about he Guix way. The Lisp for everything is different from what I am accustomed, I am more of ports guy myself. However I rush into learning the Lisp configuration GuixSD is using since I learned about its pervasiveness" and how this is the unix way squared. I just started learning Emacs and am more scared though, I am looking at how a few lines of elisp can change stuff easy and fast and in Emacs you can configure everything.

Right now I race to see if I can make the creation of ports simple and fast, but if GuixSD includes use-flags I might drop all the hours of work I put in my ports.

dragora: updates via fossil i think? but last release from 2 years ago
dynebolic: semptember 2001; livecd distro focused on creating/editing audio & video
gnewsense: last post on their blog is from ~5 years ago i dont know anything else about this project
parabola: arch linux but with libre repos and a package called your-freedom that wont let you install GPL noncompliant programs; has openrc and systemd capability
hyperbola: parabola but LTS kernel instead of rolling release
utoto: no habla espanol

I use Fedora SilverBlue (OSTree + Flatpak strategy). Does GuixSD support sandboxing, partial upgrades (that are still atomic), be a virtual machine host, and have brainlet friendly GUI?

guixsd will build from source if a binary is not yet available from the build farm for your version. what i meant is, say you use arch linux. you can install guix the package manager atop that and then you dont even need root access (except to setup the guixbuilder account) to install and remove (manage) your packages

Based GNUs

Out of all of those, parabola has the largest community, and it's not big at all.

>binary distributions are almost kill.
I wouldn't say that since snap, flatpacks, and appimages are all ways to distribute binary packages. But definately try out GuixSD and see if you like it.

the only answer i can provide is that the installer right now consists of a minimal tui where you are logged in as root. it is up to you to

* partition, format, and mount at least one disk
* connect to the internet
* edit or copy over an existing working config.scm file
* "herd start cow-store /mnt"
* "guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt"

Will guix kill the flatsnapappimages?

The only reason I am not fully dedicated to jump on the GuixSD train is not be clear if it supports custom build flags and compilation. If it does is over, I am in. Until then I stay with my ports. Non source based distros are kill either way though.

FFFFFFREEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM

It's not source-based.

a small community of users perhaps (being a libre only distro pretty much excludes anyone who relies on nonfree firmware for example not to mention proprietary software like chrome) but doesnt it fall back on the arch community possibly 9 times out of 10 for software concerns i.e. "how do i set up ssh"? i mean when i used parabola i would check the arch wiki if the parabola wiki didnt have answers

perhaps this is something of interest to you then: gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/

Can anyone explain what guix/GuixSD is?

and: gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Build-Systems.html

there you will find short descriptions of go and meson build systems to name but a few

Now I can build packages, t-thanks

Attached: 1532182479676.gif (300x169, 2.66M)

haha its daunting for sure esp. if you like i do not know the first thing about lisp let alone scheme. i mean i know enough (matching brackets?) that i hacked together a "config.scm" file with zero second grub timeout and a swap partition but other than that i just use this baby to shitpost :)

Dude, I am use to make ports and also learning lisp, that is a very simplified port lookalike you gave me there. too bad guix is not insisting on the source based part and acts like a source based distro offering flags, the day they do is game over for everyone.

ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/

It does sandboxing and atomic upgrades ootb according to a keynote I saw on youtube.

Apparently it's a distro where the package manager and configuration stuff are all written in Guile scheme.