Lisp dialect

Since everybody here says Lisp is great, what is the best Lisp dialect to start learning it ?

Attached: Lisplogo.png (811x805, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lispcookbook.github.io/cl-cookbook/files.html
github.com/CodyReichert/awesome-cl#csv
cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scheme is great and sicp is good learning material for it.

The one you make yourself.

Racket

I second racket is great

Racket also has a decent IDE if you haven't converted to emacs yet.

N

I

G

G

Common Lisp, obviously.

It also has the advantage of having a godlike series of books to get into it. There's no reason to start with anything else imo.

Attached: 1548306475866.jpg (250x333, 25K)

please not the cat dead stare im weak

Common Lisp. The language core has a lot of features and a lot of books to go with it, e.g. gigamonkeys' Practical Lisp, Land of Lisp, and the smaller Lisp for the Web booklet.

I'd also say it has a more comprehensive library repository when using Quicklisp.

Actually, scratch that. Since you're 99% likely to develop Lisp on Emacs since its has such a god-tier environment for lisp with SLIME, you might be first learning Emacs Lisp out of necessity so that you feel nice and comfy with your editor.

I've been learning racket and I like it a good bit

>Since everybody here says Lisp is great
Not true, everyone here wanks on C and Unix cancer. Stay away from that cancer.
Anyway, Common Lisp is the most popular and most practical dialect. It had more features, more libraries and often much better performance, both in time and space.

elisp, great editor included :^)

Clojure of course.

underrated post

Dumb question. I've been trying to do several things in CL, but have been running into a lot of issues, specifically with file reading.
Any good resources to how do many of the common things (reading in a CSV, parsing a file, etc...)?

Emacs Lisp is useful even if your primary language isn't Lisp, it also comes with amazing debug, IDE, and docs. Everyone should learn Emacs Lisp.

Have you taken a look at the Common Lisp cookbook? It has a whole section about files.
Like it suggests, I'm also going to recommend looking at the UIOP filesystem and pathname package sources.
>lispcookbook.github.io/cl-cookbook/files.html
For parsing various file formats, look at the "Awesome CL" list for libraries, you should be able to find most of the common formats you'd want to read.
CSV for example: github.com/CodyReichert/awesome-cl#csv

I wanted to make this thread a long time ago. Lost the motivation to learn Lisp because of all the dialects. Ended up just getting into Haskell.

Okay, I've been using Practical Common Lisp, so I think the cookbook might be helpful.

Except Practical Common Lisp, what else do you recommend?

cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

Get this one, it's one of the best programming books I've ever read.

I recommend getting through this one first, then get into PCL, PCL can get a bit confusing and too practical at times, when you need to sit down and understand the core of something.

You're free to skip some sections if you have some programming under your belt, but it's still ultra solid as a starting book.

Once you get through those two, try to get "Common Lisp Recipes". Really good too.

Good luck user.

Attached: Thumbs_up_nosebleed.jpg (236x236, 13K)