ONE PORT TO RULE THEM ALL

Power, display, audio, usb, network, thunderbolt, all in one cable!!!

Attached: 1526253101287.png (707x632, 400K)

but the human mind cant process more then 24 mbps

Apple was wrong.

When are we getting USB network swtiches. Imagine plugging a keyboard into your switch and being able to use it for every computer on your network.

I lost

neat

Good looking laptop

Ah. the USB 4.0 MegaSpeed 1.0 Lane 1.0 SuperPort 1.0 C-Port 1.1 Revision 1.0 Version 1.0

Cant fucking wait.

Too bad no one gives enough of a fuck to implement any of that shit into one port
Apple is still the only one who fucking gets it, allowing anything to be plugged into any port

Fucking Kek

Wow so inovative. They copied thunderbolt 3....4 years after tb3 been on the market.

Attached: 35F41C66-90FC-45EC-B0F8-720C98495991.jpg (980x551, 164K)

my thinkpads can't have it so I don't care.

fucking lold apple is so shit they cant even use non-apple usb donglees

You can at least charge from any port, use thunderbolt from any port or use a display from any port
Even if it's buggy with non-apple shit they have made more of an effort than almost all PC makers who can't even be bothered to let you charge from any USB C port

This is a dumb idea due to security reasons.

Why are they trying to make it sound like USB4 is something other than TB3? As though it's something to be surprised about that what is literally TB3 would work like TB3. Intel just made it royalty free and gave the USB Promoter Group the protocols and shit

How is it for eGPU setups?

USB4 is something other than TB3
USB4 should just be USB while TB3 is basically PCI express over a cable

I like how they keep updating USB faster than products can even adopt the most recent standard. Truly a brilliant move.

>not wanting tech to advance at the speed of light
yikes

Jow Forums was wrong. enjoy complaining about dongles and eventually needing C-to-A dongles while I dock my laptop to my desktop setup with a single plug.

I think the issue with with the people making the products that are choked on speeds not the USB developers. USB needs to keep doing their thing. Everyone else needs to catch up.

Yeah, frankly atm I don’t need anything more than thunderbolt 3, and all the neets on here who say they would are talking shit.

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

Whats real funny is that all these speed advances they're making I highly doubt you could experience in real life
For example USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 is 20Gbps and even if you had a device that can sink 20Gb you'll hit a bottleneck in your CPU or something before you would get close to 20Gb

The main thing stopping me from getting a chink mini PC is that there is no TB3 on them for an egpu, most likely due to the royalty costs of TB3. The lower costs of USB shit means we will be seeing a lot more chinkshit miniPCs with decent egpu capabilities.

imaging plugging in ddr5 over usb4

imagine plugging in your vibrating buttplug over usb4

TB3 is just expensive to implement, that is the only real reason why you don't see it on a cheap PC and it's not even a royalty issue as TB is royalty free now, It's the chipsets that are expensive
and USB stuff being cheap doesn't mean Thunderbolt is going to be cheap as Thunderbolt is not USB

I never said that it meant TB was going to be cheap, I said I expect to see egpu solutions utilising the bandwidth abilities of USB4 which means PCs with egpu capabilities at a lower price point.

Actually your right and I'm mistaken
No one links any articles here so I assume USB4 was just going to be another pissing USB protocol with unrealistic speed standards and since it is just USB that means no eGPU but no instead USB4 is implementing TB3 as a built in protocol which means TB3 is mandatory if you want the port to be called USB4

allegadly that isnt the case

Thank you, user :)
You had me thinking that I was retarded, but reporting on this in general has been horrendously bad.

Don't buy the E/L/A series then

Not how USB works.

one cable, but how many dongles?

You just described a port that we already have.
It's called USB-C.

>you'll hit a bottleneck in your CPU or something before you would get close to 20Gb
You literally won't. A single channel of DDR3 has 12GB of bandwidth as it is. Unless you are actually processing the data being transferred (aka your antivirus is being malicious) DMA will allow the data to be shoveled into RAM and then it's up to your storage to handle the rest.

Most of my shit isn't even 3.0 yet.

you probably don't know either.

>They copied thunderbolt 3
Okay retard.
Intel just made Thunderbolt 3 open source, USB4 is literally just Thunderbolt 3.
USB4 _IS_ Thunderbolt 3.

FPBP

based

why not call it usb 3.2 gen 1?

I don't get this?

Thunderbolt 3 does al this already just packaged into USB C which is good/bad because now people have 3 C ports on a laptop yet only 1 might be TB3

I don't think you know how fast ram/cpus are

also we already have external gpus using thunderbolt

Is the interface still "USB"? I mean TB3 was able to deliver eGPU solutions with no latency problems because it's simply pci-express over cable. What about usb4?

The Interface is the same as Thunderbolt 3.
Hell, this is just a rebranding of Thunderbolt 3 since Intel made it open source and dropped licensing.
Soon we're able to plug eGPU solutions into any type of chinkshit laptop.

>usb 3.2 gen 1
Because that exists

>USB 3.2 Gen 1: originally known as USB 3.0, and previously renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1. It’s the original USB 3.0 specification, and it can transfer data at up to 5Gbps.

the fuck. then call it usb 3.3 gen 1

>Soon we're able to plug eGPU solutions into any type of chinkshit laptop.

They just won't give you the port. Look how many laptops don't have a single USB C port, not even TB3

>then call it usb 3.3 gen 1

They did you one better

>USB 3.2 Gen 2x2: formally known as USB 3.2, it’s the newest and fastest spec, promising speeds at up to 20Gbps (by using two lanes of 10Gbps at once).

FUCKING STOP
STOP STOP STOP
JUST FUCKING STICK WITH ONE FUCKING PORT FOR ANY SIGNIFICANT PERIOD OF TIME
THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING WRONG WITH THUNDERBOLT

Attached: STOP.png (500x500, 201K)

USB4 is rebranded Thunderbolt3.
Nothing will change for now, just the name.

My thinkpad 13" can output display port from the USB C connectors and charge from them.

wish they just somehow got C to take off faster

but all the cheap shit will never use it. Printers don't even give you a USB cable these days so there goes any chance they'd bother changing to C

But ideally it's just C to C cables for everything

fuck that then i have to buy a bunch of A adapters

At the same time? Because a Mac with TB can.

>fucking lold apple is so shit they cant even use non-apple usb dongles
Apple gives you 4x Thunderbolt ports on their 15" pro and there is heaps of dongles that work. Haven't heard of any not working

>Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz in over a billion colours
>all 4 ports can take charge in

>Printers don't even give you a USB cable these days
That's because everyone already has a shitload of these cables already.

Anything released in last 3 years shouldn't have anything but C

And no you would just get C to A cable barring any restriction on the A plug like power

you don't use pcs?

>dumb animetard don't get shit about technology
Wow, what a surprise

They're literally only on printers, USB 3 version on some external hdds

They just don't bother with it cost wise. Like nintendo not giving one on their 3DS and the nintendo fanboys said the same shit and now you gotta buy a charger separate

They just ignore the fact that every year millions of kids grow up and might get their first one

My PC has USB-C Ports in the front and the rear panel, and it‘s almost 2 years old. Also you can just add them for like 10 bucks over a PCIe adapter.

yeah you might have one if you're lucky. usb c is rare as shit

>one port to rule them all

that was supposed to be USBC yet apple REFUSES to move on

It's funny because you don't even know what you are talking about.

what is a dongle? and why do you act like having plugs o your desk is a bad thing?

Cant wait till apple release thunderbolt 4 which makes usb its bitch again. Ffs

Literally every Board and nearly every case released in the last 2 years had USB-C Ports. Usually one Port on the rear and one on the board internally, and cases usually also one at the front.

Are they drunk?

>USB 4 will offer same specs as Thunderbolt 3, but won’t be available until 2021

LOL

Can you imagine being in charge of the whole USB specification and doing nothing for years then taking intel's scraps then releasing that in 2 years

Hope they up the power but might get a bit iffy with cables, maybe do certain power over the cable if it can detect

Apple uses 87W or whatever on their 15" but so many 15" now need 150-250W chargers, fuckign stupid

Underrated post

usbc was meant to be the port that replaced everything but iphones still ship with garbage connectors that hold everyone back

Apple never created Thunderbolt.
Thunderbolt is owned by Intel, not by Apple.
Intel is probably just killing Thunderbolt completely now that they made it open source, all we will have from now on is USB 4 and upwards.

chmod checked

But everyone else uses USB-C, it's the only type of connector Apple uses on their Macbook and iPad Pro lineup and Apple might even use it on their new iPhones too.
USB C might had a rough start but in a few years it will be the only standard you will see around.

>Thunderbolt is the brand name of a hardware interface developed by Intel (in collaboration with Apple)

>phone charging cables is holding us back

Collaboration doesn't mean shit because by the time the first Thunderbolt 3 Macbooks were released we also had Windows laptops and PCI-Thunderbolt 4 interfaces.
The license was fully owned by Intel, the collaboration probably just meant that Apple got a discount on the license.

itg
should
have
already
been
so
fuck b fuck a definitly fuck micro b

anything that doesnt follow the times is holding us back

*thunderbolt 3

>This copper-based version of the Light Peak concept was co-developed by Apple and Intel. Apple registered Thunderbolt as a trademark, but later transferred the mark to Intel, which held overriding intellectual-property rights.

>Intel introduced Light Peak at the 2009 Intel Developer Forum (IDF), using a prototype Mac Pro logic board to run two 1080p video streams plus LAN and storage devices over a single 30-meter optical cable with modified USB ends

>Thunderbolt was commercially introduced on Apple's 2011 MacBook Pro

I think you're forgetting thunderbolt 1 using Mini DP, this shit was mad on macs and released on macs first

But who wants to carry 10 odd dongels with them everywhere especially now since fapbooks only have thunderbolt 3

Attached: 1555526500111.png (1100x644, 89K)

98% of people don't need a fucking dongle even daily

The ones that do either live with it or buy a laptop that has that output/plug

c sucks tho

Yeah, I used an adapter with USB A, display port and USB C; it charged at the same time as it outputted video.

Upboated

Attached: LOL3.jpg (700x439, 53K)

I think you can find a program that accomplishes that already. I found something called Synergy, but there may also be others.

That's called Plan9

Tb is dead.
Intel can't milk it anymore.
Makes it royalty free.
Usb4 will be your rebranded pcie with dma attacks sponsored by the security experts from intel.

uwu

heres ur ports bro

Attached: ports.png (960x541, 55K)

Synergy/Barrier

Though sufficient betwork traffic can clog it up a little, like streaming HD video while mousing on a remote computer on the same network lags pretty bad.

>he bought the old tech and is now stuck with it
ha ha

printers just do wireless, no need for usb

>Apple might even use it on their new iPhones too.
>might
>new
And that's the problem. Everyone else has been using USB C for years, and you now have to buy a USB C to USB A dongle plus a USB A to Lightning cable to plug your iPhone into your MacBook Pro. This should be a regular USB C to USB C cable.

Oh well. Maybe by 2024 iPhone users will get other things the rest of us have been using since 2016 like 1440p AMOLED screens and split/windowed mode.