Is the FX-3850 a good purchase for general work and some gayming?

I would buy one of the ryzen cpus or an i3/i5, but that would mean having to change the mobo and ram, which is somewhat expensive right now in my country. I've seen some reviews and benchmarks and the performance doesn't seem too bad, and I've seen some of them quite cheap. Should I go for it? Or is it worth to save for a ryzen/intel cpu?

Attached: fx.jpg (800x800, 59K)

>gaymes
back to /v/

If you have mobo already then it's a good stop gap. Be aware tho even 2400g is 35% faster then 8350 fx

My current mobo is FM2+. The FX I saw on my local shop comes packed with an AM3+ mobo.

Don't buy this garbage. Even a Ryzen is faster.

buy the AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 6x 3.40GHz, boxed (YD2600BBAFBOX)

>even newer stuff is faster
are you retarded for having to point that out, captain obvious?

If you can get a good deal on the combo, get it, 16GB of ram makes an 8350 happy and it is cheap to get DDR3, it's east for other regions to suggest ryzen but in some countries the new stuff is stupid expensive.

>east
easy*

no the athlon 200ge is a good 20% faster than it for less money

Yes, I have one on my "music production" machine, with 16GB of 1866Mhz ram. I mainly use it for real time playing with vst piano plugins, also with DAWs such as reaper.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, just know that that kind of stuff can get pretty intensive on the hardware, but that cpu copes quite well.
It's also good for general usage (the only problem of my machine is the lack of a system ssd, that limits performance more than anything else).
If you can get it cheap enough, go for it. It's less bad than the memes would make you think.

cringe
>tons of ram but at low speeds
>low speeds greatly affect apu performance
>16gb of low speed ram yet is using a 60$ apu
what the fuck is wrong with you? everything is wrong with what you are using.

Well, Ryzen is the FX of this era. A 13 year old Pentium 955 has lower memory latency than a Ryzen.

>1866 ram
>low speed

yeah, its almost as if the poorfag doesn't buy a new machine every six months! kek

The fx 3850 is not an apu, faggot.

From what I've heard you gotta make sure your VRM can handle the power consumption of a 8 core that's clocked pretty high.

that literally is low speed you dipfuck even the cheapest ram these days is like 2133mhz

its a bretty good processor
no its not
its also more expensive albeit 10 dollars
also if Athlon X4 950 is the better athlon for the same price

Kill yourself you fucking retarded autistic subhuman waste of air.

Yeah you really do need at least a 6+2 phase vrm to handle an 8350 at stock without throttling, an 8 phase vrm plus two phases for the memory is ideal for overclocking.

Also obligatory UD3 post.

Attached: best mobo ever made.jpg (1600x1200, 389K)

you sound mad.
stay mad.

There isn't a single use case where someone could reasonably recommend an FX cpu.

Looks good, but the price is a fucking insult (that's $400 USD) even those gaymin asus/gigabyte/msi RGB cuck boards are a lot cheaper.

Attached: scam.png (1311x582, 722K)

Bruh you're talking bad about 1866 memory on a 2012 CPU that doesn't of integrated graphics

>Need Windows XP/7 retro box that doubles as modern pc
>no AMD PSP/Intel ME
>cheap cpu that is unlocked
>slave machine for rendering
>great server box because 900 chipsets have great io and FX is a server chip by design

That's the fucked up part about FX at the moment, motherfuckers gouging for boards when the CPUs and ram is cheap, and why ideally you would want to use a ryzen 2200G for budget stuff.

Why tho? What makes the FX so bad? A lot of people here talk about the FX chip as if it was basically cancer in silicon form. Considering its age and price it appears to perform very well. What are some of the cases where the FX just doesn't perfom well at all? I'm not an AMD fanboy, but I check the pros and cons of a CPU before I take a shit on it.

The IPC of it was like a Core 2 Duo from 2006, but it got around it by running at 4GHz+, also the 125w TDP was kinda alot at the time, but Intel has made that look like such a joke with their desktop 8 core, it looks pretty good.

>high end stuff in the current time replaces the high end stuff of the old time
captain obvious going all out!

I'd guess they use a lot of electricity and run hot. not sure why you'd buy one over a Ryzen 3 or something. You can OC those chips to ~4GHz with stock HSF.

Well, in the past they did somewhat poor in gaming benchmarks because those games were not utilizing all cores. It's probably better nowadays. I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying one because I have a hard time justifying investing in old tech.