Should I fall for the used server/workstation meme and load it up with 64GB RAM for $200?

Should I fall for the used server/workstation meme and load it up with 64GB RAM for $200?

Attached: 1544940716419.png (640x480, 235K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-big-battery-outsmarts-lumbering-coal-units-after-loy-yang-trips-70003/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fucking why
what the hell would you even be using it for

$200 is a fuckload of money for 64gb of DDR3 ECC, you're getting ripped off. Most workstations/servers have at least 8 dimms, and 8gb is the cheapest per gb atm, DDR3 ECC 1600mhz ram can be had for $11.25 per 8gb stick.

If you're aware that most of them have vacuum cleaner loud fans and some brands have proprietary bullshit connectors, sure.

>not fitting 128GB of ram for your home server

Attached: 40786d_6779923.png (1300x1300, 147K)

Workstations don’t and there’s no need to upgrade the power supplies on good ones anyway.

Servers are insanely loud; they're full of tiny 4000rpm fans
They also have strange motherboard layouts and wacky proprietary power supplies
I've seen them pop before, being able to replace them with standard units is always a good idea, else you'll be hunting for some super rare and expensive replacement

Attached: DuolingH_Youth.jpg (1100x906, 343K)

A dumb RK3399 can saturate a Gbit port and run with just 1-4GB of RAM. ECC is a meme, just use a non-shit filesystem. Bit rot is just to make NAS nerds insecure.

How I know? I have all files on my drives hashed and 26k hours on. So far all hashes are still matching, and yeah I have backups.

Invest in good drives: HGST > WD / etc. >>>> Seagate shit

Attached: 166de2e7.png (746x466, 84K)

The workstation/server meme is for cheap gaming PCs that can do autoCAD, CFD and video rendering though since E5-2680/E5-2680v2's are so cheap. It's not for running a NAS, for that you just use a nanopi m4 with hat or the like.

I feel you, SoCs are fun for people who live in countries with overpriced electricity. Also yeah, nothing wrong with buying / looting old good tech.

Pretty much. By swapping to a SBC for my torrent box I'm saving about $100 USD in electricity costs a year, and the SBC + hat was cheaper than that.
I also used to use one as a small minecraft server for the gaming club at my uni. It's a super cheap way to get one of those up and just offload it.

Are you a burger? I pay 29 EUR cents per kWh, aka 0.33 USD cents. Doesn't sound like it is much better in your place. Yeah I wish I could hide stuff at uni and have a friendly network admin open ports for my device, but oh well. They sell domains though at my uni.

Attached: 4e6f3b86.jpg (800x645, 44K)

>tfw burger and elec is $0.09

Australian, 0.2 USD per kwh here. Going from 150W (due to lol EATX board, xeon and shit) down to 3W + 10W for the disks meant a fuckload. I was just estimating, but it works out at (presuming a 100% uptime which isn't true but eh, it's close enough) far more than that. More like $240 USD/year, and will be far more for you.
A pine64 (the board I used for the server) only pulls 3W at load most of the time and even less idle. I just had that at home running as well. Half my up was dedicated to the torrent box and other half to the server.

>electricity this cheap
I should just hang myself being European. Our dumb politicians are still phasing out cheap CO2 neutral nuclear power plants because of Fukushima.

>no earthquakes possible
>no tsunamis possible
>just ensure strict controls on staff

If I was Aussie I'd go all solar during the day and buffer some in iron phosphate or lead batteries. My country is so bad they even regulate private photovoltaics.

Attached: cbb4b84f621bfa208ac2e4c584629b61.jpg (1201x1600, 1.06M)

Yeah, I have solar so technically the savings are lower. Since I run at a surplus during the day anyway so those hours I will just be getting feed in tariff which is like $0.09 USD/kwh instead of 0.2.
Electricity used to be way, way cheaper here. To help with tax avoidance of big companies we used to have it that we'd take 1% of every material exported. So if you wanted to export 10,000t of coal you had to give up 100t of that at the port. That was then used for power generation and power was way, way cheaper than it is now. At least I'm not in an area with a privatised power grid, those places are at euro prices or higher.

Companies get a 66% discount here on the price a citizen must pay. Despite them being the real squanderers of our power. I've read about the power plants running of coal in Australia. Might have been the story where one had a brownout or something and the Tesla battery system for electrical grids buffered the failure with ease.

reneweconomy.com.au/tesla-big-battery-outsmarts-lumbering-coal-units-after-loy-yang-trips-70003/

Cool tech, hope these are built in more placed and hooked up to PV and wind turbines. I'm all pro green energy, but NPPs ain't wrong if strictly regulated. Too many power plants are privately owned here where I live.

Attached: strompreis.jpg (650x450, 65K)

The worst part is that a fair chunk of the battery researchers at Tesla are former CSIRO members (Australian federal research group) that left the country after they were fired due to budget cuts since 'omg we must save a few million, better cut funding to the institute which was instrumental in a fuckload of important tech'
We essentially fired researchers and then ended up buying shit made with their tech, having that money travel to another country instead of going through the tax cycle here. Fucking fun.

Corruption happens everywhere. Here the phasing out of nuclear power plants caused millions in compensations to the private owners of siad NPPs. Despite most of the plants having to shut down of old age within a few years. They managed to scam our government really hard, causing ever increasing prices as these billions are now being redirected from tax payers.

Gotta love this new world of neoliberalism.
I'm not the biggest fan of Liberalism, it has its flaws, but holy fuck bring Keneysian Liberalism back. Neoliberalism is an abject failure.

Only the methods have changed since the middle ages, it's all more subtle now. And they can drown out the truth better with the BS in mass media.