Is OLED the biggest placebo in history?

Is OLED the biggest placebo in history?
>Colors are objectively the same as in LCD
Only difference are the better blacks but yet people claim gamut looks better also.

Also
>yes my battery lasts way longer with OLED

Attached: 55POS9002_05-MI1-global-001.jpg (1188x700, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

displayspecifications.com/en/model-power-consumption/6dd1463
avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2950608-hdr-uhd-bluray-waveform-analysis.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Is OLED the biggest placebo in history?
No?
>Only difference are the better blacks
Having perfect blacks is a really big deal
That's another really big deal

If you haven't used OLED, I can see why you would think it's a placebo.

so oled vs lcd is the hot super ebin master trohl of this decade after crt vs. lcd?

>Having perfect blacks is a really big deal
But for most of the time color "black" is absent.
>That's another really big deal
Thats what I mean, its not true. There is no observable difference, its placebo

>But for most of the time color "black" is absent.
I don't know what kind of weird-ass shit you've done to your computer to make it not display black, but it shows up pretty fucking frequently for most people.
>Thats what I mean, its not true.
It absolutely is. OLED consumes significantly less power than typical LCD screens, which has a large positive impact on battery life. I don't really care if you've managed to fill your phone with so much spyware that your battery drains faster than you'd like, but it doesn't make your shitty anecdotes override physics.

The differences are night and day, I hated going back to an IPS phone from my old OLED one

>but it shows up pretty fucking frequently for most people
Not really no. Blacks are rather rare outside every day use if youre not using a dark mode.
>It absolutely is. OLED consumes significantly less power than typical LCD screens, which has a large positive impact on battery life.
Again placebo, since OLED TVs and other electronics have statistically the same power consumption as their LCD counterparts, sometimes even more. Its a nonfactor and like I said placebo.

For example: displayspecifications.com/en/model-power-consumption/6dd1463

Colors are improved with improved contrast.
Battery life can be shorter or longer, depending on the displayed content. Generally, blacker images are way better but white images are way worse.

one, fairly large, problem
average and maximum are misleading, especially when talking about battery life.

on a phone, I would have a black background, and I would have it black most of the time, this would reduce power due to the pixels turning off, rather then the traditional no matter what's displayed, I have a bright backlight on all the time.

as for black blacks, you need to understand, having actual black blacks offers higher contrast rations, of which contrast is king, and is the number 1 thing people notice in picture quality difference tests. an oled can make actual black, and when 1 pixel is bright, it can make that 1 pixel bright with no halo.

they are the highest quality we have at the moment, but quality over time goes to ips/va over oled.

I was going to post this in the /spg/, but it seems appropriate. I just finished watching the new Blade Runner movie on my phone with a break for taking a BIG shit and cleaning my kitchen in the middle, and it drained less than a third of my battery at full brightness.
And yes, there is at least some black in most media. Plus another thing which I never see mentioned is the absolute lack of light bleed on oled screens, while even good quality IPS panels have a little bit of glow.

Attached: Screenshot_20190423-043339_Settings.jpg (1440x2960, 406K)

that's more than enough reasons to want to buy one.

bullshit
Your color coverage relies on the purity of your subpixels, with a LCD with a white backlight your subpixels are always going to let some other wavelengths of light through that you don't intend, with an OLED it''s subpixels are monochromatic LEDs which don't give off much stray wavelengths of light than intended

this

Oleds flicker which causes eyestrain, better Stick to lcd or atleast buy a iphone xs/max

had a samsung oled screen phone, sold it now on a sony xperia, the only thing i miss are the blacks and oled wallpapers but fr the difference on other colours arent noticable. sony make good lcds, we have a 12 year old bravia and it looks better than half the new tvs coming out now

LCD isn't immune to flicker issues

>Not really no. Blacks are rather rare outside every day use if youre not using a dark mode.
>not using darkmode

Attached: 8d4.jpg (960x550, 267K)

this pic is amazing, literally convinced me to buy an OLED monitor, the colors look fantastic

no, the cons are mostly that it isn't affordable now. just hang tight

>ITT people too poor to afford OLED

Attached: IMG_20190101_095331-2320x1740.jpg (2320x1740, 619K)

most people can't justify spending that much, we have shit we need to do

what's your angle anyway?

Once you use OLED you can't really go back. The black is really noticeable. I wouldn't get an OLED monitor though because of burn ins.

No, oled is worse. It displays unnaturally deep blacks and high contrast, making the image look neon coloured and making it pop too much.
And it's literally planned obsolescence.

You need to get your eyes checked user.

"I don't understand how contrast affects our perception of colors": The thread

Attached: mussies.jpg (342x328, 13K)

When will we have matte OLED screens?

tfw no 24" 1080p 240hz oled monitor

OLED had 2 key issues imo, burn in/color saturation.

Blacks are great and all, but if there's color saturation, all you're gonna see is weird washed out colors.

When everyone memes IPS monitors all day it’s no surprise no one knows what the fuck actual contrast is

Color issues can always be fixed with actually sane color settings and calibration

So oled is the only way you can properly make HDR screens, because it doesn't require shitty memes like backlight array grids?

>Colors are the same

Bullshit. Watch an hdr video on an hdr capable oled vs an lcd.

I don't give a shit about OLED for a single reason:
Burn in.
Will this shit realistically be fixed in the next 3-5 years or can I go back to sleep?

They can technically go 1000hz and beyond.

Yes

You're a retard and/or a coping poorfag.

There are LCDs which can display colours just as well as OLED, but they're all high end TVs. Computer monitors are all dog shit apart from the massively-expensive ones specifically designed for colour-critical work (which aren't at all suitable for gaymen).

It isn't something that can be fixed. It's simply a reality of how the technology works. Only a literal mental retard would ever get burn-in on their OLED though. You either have to be a boomer that watches 24 hours news channels all day or actively trying to cause it. It's a shame that so many low IQ people fall for internet memes about it and think that they're going to get burn-in if they leave a gayme paused for ten minutes.

You fags can do what you like though. I've been enjoying my OLED TV since 2016 and have zero burn-in. If you want to stick to shitty LCDs, go right ahead. You're the only one missing out.

Attached: Mr. Pig.jpg (1011x607, 250K)

>It isn't something that can be fixed.
So it is like I thought and I can go back to sleep.
OLED rot and inherent burn in. Great sales pitch.

not him, but on phones dark mode is usually just dark gray and not actually black, because it scares normalfags.

Honestly the only thing that will burn in is your status bar at the top. I always hide mine so it doesn't really matter.

gotta wait for microled user, sadly

you can't make blacks better they'll always be niggers

If I had the money I would go for a Sony OLED because of their superior motion processing.

Not at all. OLED is superior to the best LCD tech available.

The only problem is burn in on larger TVs...phones and mobile devices don't have that issue since they usually have a constant on/off state.

OLED has superior blacks, color, much better HDR capability.

White/greyish text on pitch black oled background is shit for your eyes, just like the inverse bright white with black text cancer. Dark grey with greyish white or brown/tan mixes like that of old books works best.

>phones and mobile devices don't have that issue since they usually have a constant on/off state
They actually shift pixels once in a while just to avoid burn in from the ui.

Do you watch tv/movies m8?
Having close to true black changed the entire game

Pixels don't turn off in LCD opposed to oled where they do turn off

You only get burn ins if it's on 24/7 at full brightness. Who the fuck uses their phone 24/7 and full brightness?

Ask someone who calibrated their OLED to low dE values anything.

I go outside user

It's not placebo. Close all sources of light in your room and put a blank black screen on your LCD, it glows. Do the same with OLED, nothing.

What is dE value and why it is important?

Not really.

For example I have an iPhone X and it's OLED. It turns on and off by the user dozens of times per day so no burn in issues.

I noticed that TV manufacturers have started using things like screen savers to avoid burn in if there's no signal data...but not sure how that will work in the long run.

OLED reminds me of Plasma, hopefully these tech manufacturers figure out a way to avoid burn in.

Samsung stopped making OLEDs and PC OLED monitors have pretty much disappeared.

You're outside in direct sunlight 24/7 using your phone? What the fuck are you doing?

I leave my phone in the tanning machine 24/7 for a health tan. Honestly though I had a Oneplus X before my S8. My S8 never had any burn ins but my Oneplus X has a status bar burn and I only used it for 2 years.

You don't usually watch black screen in the dark room.
OLED turning off completely not only brings benefits (the "real" blacks) but also some issues (black smearing).

>its a placebo
>no.
>yeah but this other stuff
Go away, I btfo you and your thread.
Fuck faggot OP, fuck jannies, and fuck mods.

Attached: 1503597928033.jpg (661x661, 43K)

Apple literally implemented burn-in mitigation in the iOS 11, you dumb reddirt spacer.
What are you talking about?

What the fuck why are you leaving it in a tan machine 24/7? Why are you tanning 24/7? What is going on?

It's your white point. Once you have the correct white point (dE lower than 1 across the board is considered good) across the spectrum colors are more accurate. Once you have it nailed getting all the other stuff calibrated becomes a lot easier. After I did that and raised luminance values to get rid of black crush my OLED lnow ooks amazing.

Settle down, you fucking autist.
I never said it was placebo. I'm just correcting you.

There's a reason iPhones aren't OLED. Because it's trash.

What is the screen and long did it take?

absolutely BASED retard
holy fuck i cant even imagine what its like to be that dumb

Attached: 1551876094259.png (850x322, 31K)

No you're not, you didn't correct shit because there is nothing to correct. Once again irrevocable btfo.

Attached: 1518288216288.jpg (250x241, 10K)

>Only difference are the better blacks but yet people claim gamut looks better also.

You don't understand how contrast works. Digital colors are discrete. That means the same signal for black is sent to every display and yet OLEDs clearly show it differently. If you're smart you'll realize that this also applies to every single other color produceable for a given color gamut.

That means each color is more distinct from the other, because each level of gray is more distinct from each other. Human vision is based on change (motion) and contrast (difference), so naturally high contrast displays are going to make colors "pop" more because they're capable of display colors more distinctly.

The only reason why OLED doesn't objectively measure better is because before HDR standards started taking shape color gamuts only covered saturation, literally no standards for brightness or darkness or contrast, which is why old gamut LUTs are flat, 2D, covering only saturation to gray (usually represented as white). Things are starting to change and for HDR companies are developing 3D LUT that also define standards for whites to black. Most people don't even know what a color gamut despite memeing on about how IPS has the best colors (kind of a joke at this point). Well as HDR becomes more common IPS's marketing talking points are going to get blown the fuck out as they completely fail to meet modern standards

just fuck my shit up

No.
>Only difference are the better blacks but yet people claim gamut looks better also.
The blacks are literally pixels that don't emit light. But the colours are obviously more vivid as well.

Yes it does. Though my 55" 4k ambilight TV consumes about a third of what my Samsung SyncMaster P2450 does

You are nothing, but a stupid mother fucker, who know nothing about OLED and thinks OLED turning off to display black is a gift from heaven.
Shut the fuck up.

You are a nigger who can't read. I will reiterate, oled is not a placebo and my original comment proves it so.
Yet again btfo, get the fuck out of this thread and don't visit this board ever again you utter failure. Suck some dick in shame.

Attached: Awwww.jpg (402x402, 13K)

>literally no standards for brightness or darkness or contrast
>CIELAB color space is a color space defined by the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) in 1976
?

Never said it was placebo, you obnoxious cunt.
I'm not the OP, you fucking autist.
You should learn to read yourself.

>i-i was only p-pretending to be retarded
>it wasnt me!!
btfo a fourth time, open wide for a fifth.

Attached: 1491444711730.jpg (527x705, 56K)

wow tough guy here

Doesn't set a reference for real/absolute black or white, like that would be coming out of a display. The L is based on reflectivity or something, not brightness

>i just shit myself by assuming stuff and acting like obnoxious autist!
>what should i do??! apologize? no... oh yeah, i know!
>"y-you were just samefagging!"
Embarrassing to watch.

Attached: 1436325127911.jpg (1008x720, 34K)

>It expresses color as three values: L* for the lightness from black (0) to white (100), a* from green (-) to red (+), and b* from blue (-) to yellow (+)
> L* for the lightness from black (0) to white (100)
?

Take your meds, kys and get ready for a sixth btfo.

Attached: 1519436368167.png (233x255, 76K)

Black (0,0,0) is a gray on an IPS monitor. And white (255,255,255) is typically around 250-350cd/m^2 max

It tells us nothing, unless you can point out what the reference brightness that 0 and 100 represents. AFAIK it only takes white point into consideration but that's more about color temperature/neutrality than brightness.

How is it btfo if it's you who is sucking here.
>Take your meds
Stop projecting, autismo.
There is a reason you don't have any friends.

Attached: dangan (1).png (1920x1080, 854K)

Why you bring IPS rgb, when we are talking about CIELAB?
Or you don't actually know what you are talking about and in you
were just pretending to be smart?

Nice cope there faggot, and who needs friends with cumdumpsters like you around.

Attached: 1549991285174.png (640x475, 347K)

You misunderstood and acted like an idiot.
Really embarrassing. Go cry yourself to sleep.

Attached: 1506820097663.png (841x720, 853K)

I'm telling you that a relative reference that just goes from 0 to 100 isn't a measure of brightness, it just defines a black and a white and as we've demonstrated a relative black can be displayed as anything from pitch black (OLED) to a gray (IPS). And likewise for white. The fact that you can't tell me what the absolute references for 0 and 100 in the CIELAB standard tells me you're a moron who completely failed to misunderstand my first paragraph in my initial post about how the same signal for black is displayed differently by different devices and IPS show it as a gray rather than actual black.

Why would I do that when I can just keep slapping btfos all over your dumb face. Are you in heat by any chance? It's spring after all.

Attached: 1504006849636.jpg (1280x720, 101K)

kuso thread

baka aho

no shit, did you mean to quote me and say that?
an lcd uses little power on its own, remarkably little power, but the backlight to make the screen visible does, and that's always on for the most part, there is some amount of local dimming that can be done, but generally on a phone, its on or its not.

>who completely failed to misunderstand
I'm sorry for that. I will try to misunderstand better next time.

>The fact that you can't tell me what the absolute references for 0 and 100 in the CIELAB standard
If you actually knew anything about CIELAB (aka knew anything about color) you wouldn't be asking such stupid questions.
CIELAB defines all possible visible colors.
It can use multiple white points (usually D65).
Stop saying dumb shit like
>literally no standards for brightness or darkness or contrast
and actually learn some colorimetry, instead of relying on second hand knowledge from "tech" websites.

Autist.

Attached: 1411178861655.png (500x500, 151K)

What's the absolute brightness for black and white in CIELAB

No, OLED is the better technology. It is much easier to engineer away the problems of OLED in the future while LCD TVs have to include several high-cost engineering solution for similar result. That said, for MOST content the top tier LCD TVs will be better than OLED and the image quality is not better on OLED TVs when you compare it to the high-end LCD.

No, OLED is objectively worse than the best LCD TVs at the moment due to their low brightness for HDR. If you are interested in high level HDR detail, you do not buy an OLED TV.

HDR is not a strong point for OLED, current high-end Sony, Samsung and Vizio VA TVs are better than any OLED on the market for this purpose.

>No, OLED is objectively worse than the best LCD TVs at the moment due to their low brightness for HDR. If you are interested in high level HDR detail, you do not buy an OLED TV.

>20000:1 contrast with blown out swathes of haloing
>better

Lol no

Now that i think about, i cannot tell the absolute luminence of white point.
I think i was wrong. I remembered that L* was a power function and can have unlimited range, so it clashed in my head a little bit.

>Again placebo, since OLED TVs and other electronics have statistically the same power consumption as their LCD counterparts
The difference between OLED and LCD is that OLDE will dim or turn off pixels if they display black. Those pixels are literally not drawing power. With LCD displays, pixels are either "on" or are "also on, but being blocked by the liquid crystals", so it doesn't matter if you use Dark modes for LCD since the backlight will always be on when the screen is on. Not true with OLED, since only illuminated pixels are consuming power, making "always on displays" a possibility.

Having better blacks (THE best blacks) means contrast is infinite. So there's better contrast in everything, even in colours.

is this supposed to be bait?

*blacksmears this post*

>No, OLED is objectively worse than the best LCD TVs at the moment due to their low brightness for HDR. If you are interested in high level HDR detail, you do not buy an OLED TV.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and have been suckered in by TV manufacturer bullshit about brightness. The vast majority of content doesn't contain any highlights that exceed OLED's peak brightness, which means that they're displayed as fully as they ever could be on any display (unless you want to get into Samsung artifically brightening HDR by ignoring EOTF tracking, destroying other aspects of picture quality in the process).

People like you seem to think that HDR just displays things as brightly as possible all the time. It doesn't. There is an objective peak brightness for highlights coded onto the disc, and the vast, vast majority of them don't even come close to 1000 nits, let alone 1500 or 2000 or whatever TV manufacturers are pushing now. You are gaining literally no benefit from these high brightness displays. And this can be objectively measured quite easily.

avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2950608-hdr-uhd-bluray-waveform-analysis.html