Internet of Shit

WHY DOES EVERYTHING NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET
WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY LIGHTS
WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY CAR
WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY FUCKING HEATER
Seriously, what is the point? Why incorporate needless inventions to things that already work 100% fine? Next thing is Internet connected wheels and pulley systems.

Attached: shutterstock_139655147-970x546.jpg (970x546, 93K)

>WHY DOES EVERYTHING NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

$$$ from data collection

Why do you hate to controll machines/electronics via internet?

Because everything else worked fine and I don't want companies to know everything about me?
That too.

Do I really need to control shit my washer with some stupid app? It's not like I'm going to wash clothes while I'm not at home.

>WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY FUCKING HEATER
It doubles as a buttcoin miner.

money, money, and more money. the data collection is getting completely out of fucking hand. I've spent the last few years learning networking just to combat it.

my roku is so bad that I set up firewall rules in front of the DNS resolver to drop the packets because it was adding 5 entries a second into the query log because it wants to send the telemetry data so god damn bad. and oh yeah, the device also completely ignores all DHCP information and has 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 hard coded so it can send the telemetry data and serve ads if you try to block them. a DNAT rule makes quick work of that though.

the top one is my primary pihole/resolver in an LXC and the bottom one is my "shitlist" resolver that logs any device trying to bypass my DNS. the fucking roku is making 70k queries a day trying to send those fucking logs. and the roku isn't even as bad as the chinese smart tvs.

Attached: screenshot.2019-04-22 22.40.02.png (1457x141, 9K)

I used to laugh at the episodes of Star Trek when there would be people wanting to live the old fashioned caveman style lifestyle and not want any gadgets or electronics.

Now that im older I kind of want this.

be glad that we can actually see the shitwave descending on us. god damn zoomers can't even function without being hand held by 3 devices collecting every bit of information about their life.

these are my 2019 pihole stats. literally over half of all DNS queries across 20ish machines on my network are blocked. eventually products will stop working when they can't connect to telemetry.

Attached: screenshot.2019-04-22 23.06.26.png (461x148, 4K)

u can live without internet

Oh yeah? Good fucking luck getting a job anywhere.

>pick up newspaper, literally any newspaper
>use classifieds
>use phone to call numbers to get interview
>profit?

Because they are insecure as fuck.

This is fucking mental

I fear for the future

It doesn't. It needs to be connected to the network then you put it on a vlan with no internet access

it's seriously perverse. everyone makes fun of the EU because they can arrest you for posting an offensive meme, but they also are way ahead of the US with data privacy. the US is doing nothing to catch up privacy laws so the data companies just keep stealing data by the truckload with no signs of slowing down.

Please connect everything to the internet so I can fuck people's shit up with Shodan/Censys.

To control you.
If you're a threat you're easily "exterminated" if everything is networked.

No one thought our tech would become this invasive 40 years ago. They thought the biggest worry was a literal matrix in the 90's.

Turns out, we're already in something much worse, where the reality is in plain sight. Blue pills exist but they're becoming rare given all my mates know just how invasive our tech is.
Such talk was "conspiracy" about a decade and a half ago.

Common law refuses to permit privacy laws as the issues of precedent could make them ironically invasive.

>tfw this all happened because that YouTube nigger can't read the giant sticker warning not to peel off the protector

people these days take pride in sharing all their personal details. their image and some good instagram pics are all people want in life now. what they don't realize is they shouldn't be afraid of the cops or government, they should be afraid of insurance companies, hospitals, and retailers buying up everyone's data and exploiting them in ways that will affect them deeply

> they should be afraid of insurance companies, hospitals, and retailers buying up everyone's data
You have no idea how bad that shit is. Like the cops are somewhere on the list of pervert watchers, but well below private enterprise. There's at least "some" protocols preventing your state from listening in on you and using that info.
Private enterprise has no such tethers. I'm surprised how little Apple, Windows, etc have shared. Amazon and Google are the main players in this shit, especially the former who give info to private and government organisations (their CIA connections are only part of the problem with amazon).
Part of the reason why cops,etc are not doing it as much is because they're human and have dirty laundry like all humans. They wouldn't want their own data revealed so they limit their own organisations ability to seek data.
Private corporations, on the other hand, have a direct conflict of interest - money. Fortunately, Apple and Microsoft seem to have realised that confidentiality is key to their product's success. Google has gmail so it too has some need to restrain themselves. Amazon has no tethers.

Investors throw money at companies to be "innovative" and do "something new" in hopes they'll luck out and make mad profit if it happens to catch on
A handful of rich literal-boomers that don't understand tech all that well pretty much fund companies on the basis of them trying weird gimmicky shit. Haven't tried hopping on the latest trend? The boomers don't like that

>he doesn't want to live in the cyberpunk future where you can spy on someone's home and fuck around with their lights and heater.

>Jow Forums
>liking technology
ISHYGDDT

Attached: 1550932349687.webm (1280x720, 1.91M)

>WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY CAR
You wouldn't wanna drive a car with outdated software

Attached: botnet.jpg (960x720, 88K)

Maybe use a phonebook and pose inquiries to relevant companies about openings?

It makes everything less reliable.

lol , holy shit , never seen this before

As much as I hate the doctors, they're not going to kick my door down and inject me with their poisons.

>WHY DOES EVERYTHING NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET
it doesn't
>WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY LIGHTS
you don't
>WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY CAR
you don't
>WHY DO I NEED THE INTERNET FOR MY FUCKING HEATER
you don't

Put simply: do not buy these things if you don't want them.

Why do you love to be pic related?

Attached: code-red.jpg (398x291, 35K)

Because you are the property of multi-billion dollar corporations now you fucking retard.
>If you don't like it, don't fucking buy it.
It really, really is this simple.

How do I counter the arguement of why it's bad companies collect data on you? In theory other than passwords, bank details etc most stuff isn't bad in the public domain anyway? One of my colleagues was like yeah fine, they can target ads at you but you can a) block them or b) ignore them. Sure they can sell it but that's not harming you - yes they're making money off of you but that transaction doesn't affect you.

I'm completely against this internet of shit but some help with responding to arguements like this would be useful, here are some I thought:
1 - Once it's out there you don't know who could get it eg Ashley Madison hack etc.
2 - The devices are incredibly insecure and often are easy ways into a network
3 - You may think you can ignore ads, but they affect you at a deeper subconscious level where you may not recognise it. Why else would companies spend so much time trying to target ads to people

Any other arguements people can add? - Please use things that will work against normies, not 'It's the principle' or something like that

>Why incorporate needless inventions to things that already work 100% fine
bruh fire works perfectly fine, why make a stove or microwave

Because automation is the future, grandpa.
You ever seen a sci fi movie where they manually pick things up, manually open doors, manually turn the lights on?

No they just "happen", they'll automate their morning with a computer.

Literally nobody wants to do these things manually, we are currently like 50% of the way there, next it will be cameras not just microphones, and they'll scan for human contact and know what to do based on looking at you all the time :)

Companies like insurance/banks could run correlations on data that severely inhibit you for no solid reason. Give the example of hypothetically having been suspended in middle school. Say the bank has data saying that 20% of people who got suspended in middle school foreclose on their home. Therefore, during an economic recession, banks won't let someone who got suspended in middle school get a loan on a house. Even if that person has 100k income, great credit score, stable job, a big enough numerical correlation occurs and the banks are no longer willing to take "the risk" on lending you money.