Why the FUCK are CPUs so expensive?

It's literally just some sand and plastic.
I don't believe for one second that it's costly to have some factories in third world countries and "R&D" that gives you 5% perf boost per generation. Let alone marketing, when have you ever seen an intel ad?

Attached: screenshot.png (697x483, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5yTARacBxHI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dude, why are houses so expensive? That shit is literally just wood, and I can find free sticks all over the place.

Because you are willing to pay for them.
Prices are created from observing costumers and seeing their buying habits, they have seen that people are willing to pay 300 for shit CPU and they are selling just that.

R&D goes uphill when you're operating in nanometers
Current equipment is not very precise, so it costs more per unit and quality variance is a higher than if EUV was available. Buying a binned chip means not only does it pass quality assurance, but it also has to outperform the bottom line on every core.

this and because of intel's monolithic die fabrication

also

Here's some free R&D, make more cores instead of drilling into diminishing returns. Drop x86 entirely. Etc.

Zero competition. AMD is a joke. ARM is complete shit.

>AMD is a joke
shooo, away with you shill

Power is the future. The current top supercomputer in the world is built on power9 and nvidia GPUs.

Both of those ideas are about as far from free as you could get. More cores means dropping the ringbus, since the architecture is not entirely scalable. x86 has too much software to throw away on a whim, and there isn't an alternative that scales up in a better way.
AMD has been killing it. What are you saying?

>AMD is a joke
They've been trading blows for years and now intel isn't even on the same node as everyone else. You're a fucking shill.

Attached: 1554980092209.png (600x1000, 453K)

What 3rd world shit hole are you living in? A wooden house is called a shed

You're absolutely right user. That's why I'll be waiting with twenty bucks in hand for you to start selling your $20 CPUs and drive Intel and AMD out of business. When do you think you can begin shipping?

Then,
Houses would still be made out of sand and rocks. That stuff's found on the beach.

OP is a faggot who doesnt understand how complex semi-conductor tech is, and how hard it is to scale up

And they're still getting blown the fuck out.

$0.93 Worth of material
$10 trillion worth of research

5% difference is not "blown the fuck out" you retarded shill. shoo, away with you

>too much software
Literally just click a few buttons in your IDE to compile it for the new architecture. If there software isn't being maintained, then it's legacy and might as well just drop it.

this. had an underage retard on here just the other day claim that $600 is an appropriate price for a mid range gpu release

I'm selling some used CPUs for $50, as good as when they were $500 new, on ebay.

Fabbing is actually quite expensive.

>he doesn't willingly live in a cuckshed

Neither does anybody else for that matter. Intel is not being transparent with its budgeting.
Wow yeah some research for those 5% perf gains per generation.

>IDE
>>>/reddit/

Okay then it's just a few lines in the makefile.

Because the CPU market is a near monopoly and needs to be broken up.

If it's just sand and plastic why don't you go make one yourself

Sure, I saw a second hand x86 wafer machine for a few million. If that's any indication, then it shouldn't be more expensive than a few dozen million a year to church out sandy bridge i5s or i3s.

buy the comparable AMD model with half the price and same performance, poorfag

Still expensive. $100 for 4 cores and a crappy gpu.

>Why the FUCK are CPUs so expensive?
i mean, it's only like the single most advanced practical technology known to man, which would have been basically-alien-or-divine-tier like 100 years ago.

They are actually manufactured in Israel

>third world countries
Neither US nor Taiwan are that bad

US is third world outside of meme cities

>third world
our poors live better than the European middle class.
the Democrats just like to stoke class tensions for votes.

Yeah, but first you need quite some money to have a PowerPC based system. Still, if I had money to throw away, I'd buy it at once.

Houses are cheap as fuck though, especially if you only opt for cheap materials like wood.

>costumers
why is this misspelling so common

>when have you ever seen an intel ad
I'm looking at it right now, you dumb shill.

>ARM is complete shit
Depends on how you look at it. 15 billion ARM systems are sold per year. Intel sells something like 500 million CPUs per year.

I'm not saying ARM isn't shit if you want a high-end desktop PC for gaming or video production, I'm simply pointing out that Intel's sales are barely measurable compared to ARM in terms of units sold.

Look at any recent retail data, you're very wrong.

Don't buy the CPU then, n(iceguy). Throw sand and plastic at your computer instead.

When will you ever be convinced? There's some very competitive pricing, especially compared to the GPU side of things.

Nah, it's just that Intel shit is just garbage in every way. Nobody buys Intel these days anyway.

Attached: 1543585518490.jpg (960x720, 116K)

> Yeah, but first you need quite some money to have a PowerPC based system.
>PowerPC
So you're saying 20-100 dollars on some old mac is quite some money or are you looking at the boomer scamming Amigas?

Trailer parks and ghettos seem quite nice and comfy. Can't argue there! Just keep away for arsenic polluted fresh waters and you should be fine.

idk lmao

Attached: cpu_merchant.png (1133x649, 580K)

REEE

>shintel

Attached: c0c.jpg (634x650, 45K)

Uh it's literally the hardest manufacturing process on earth.
youtu.be/5yTARacBxHI

> it's literally just some sand and plastic.
Sand which is held in clean rooms under different constantly changing chemicals in a controlled environment for at least half a year, using a machinery which costs half a mil dollars per piece.

>buying Intel

yeah, why are they?

Attached: Capture.png (1158x541, 571K)

buying intel when they jack the price on a so called "chip shortage"
(covering for the losses before zen 2 rips them another arse)

yep its a intel shill
t.buttblasted i7 6700k owner calling out the shill

OYYY VEYYYYYYYYYYY

>dat filename

Attached: 1491503876125.jpg (556x768, 116K)

Show us the retail data then

Imagine actually believing in this drivel

hahaha why is cpu so expensive it literally is just sand

They arent expensive, intel cpus are just overpriced pieces of shit and they currently have problems with supply and demand and on top of that they cant even finish the production of their 10nm node on time

>xeon
because you pay the price through electric bills