How do you feel knowing the gen z 18 year olds probably already learned programming in highschool?

How do you feel knowing the gen z 18 year olds probably already learned programming in highschool?

Attached: 1555895177367.gif (909x890, 501K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lipstickalley.com/threads/instagram-model-confesses-most-doing-something-strange-for-some-change.1731940/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fine, I did too

most probably aren't autistic enough to get good at it

Better now than later? I don't know what you're implying.

I'll out work them.

If anything, the autistic smart people aren't wanted anymore. All the hard stuff has mostly been made

yeah... no .. hello world doesn't count...

I doubt it. Most people I know in college haven't been able to program for fucking shit.

People who aren't interested in it won't learn shit.
Just like how I forgot most of highschool's boring subjects.

As a consumer, not a fucking programmer like you retards, I'm happy because I have the money to never have to work again and will have the benefit of being able to buy even more cool technology shit thanks to this. Also most of you don't seem to realize the babies being born now and in the next 5 years are not Gen Z, then are Generation Alpha. They will grow up in a world where 5G is akin to dial-up internet right now and 10Gb internet will seem average or a bit slow. They will go crazy for quantum computers and consumer-ready Hololenses though in about 10 years probably.

im an 18 year old near silicon valley, they don't.

You are unbearably stupid if you think this. Please don't tell me you're a computer science major.

only tech and science programs get taught programming and most of them arent even interested in it so why should i feel anything?

Hopeful for the future.

For the folks worried about being replaced think about this: people learn history, math, and science in high school yet you don't see an oversaturation of historians, mathematicians, or scientists.

If WW3 doesn't start before that. Or a cataclysmic natural disaster.

I'm 25 and I started coding at 13

suck my wrinkly old dick

html and python hello worlds?

I finished high school two years ago (not in the US, mind you, but in Germany), and I took an IT elective.
Not only was I one of the only 2/~30 students who actually listened to the teacher instead of goofing off online, but the programming was also extremely limited. Out of the 2 years, about 4 months were spent actually learning how to code.
In python. And on a very simplistic level. I remember finding prime numbers and doing bubblesort (with the teacher then talking about it being a shit sorting mechanism, but not explaining how the better ones worked). The most advanced thing we did was linked lists, which I didn't understand at that time, because he combined it with programming a gui with tkinter.
The rest of the 2 years was logic gates, (+simple circuits like adders) and network structure (ip adresses etc.).
The best part was him telling us that studying CS was a stupid decision, and we should rather learn it on our own time and then get certified. That is the reason I'm not doing CS, but went for medicine.

Great. I knew my first lang (two if you count ES3) before HS.

Many of them have. Most don't code often enough to be a threat... But sometimes a merely tech-savvy colege student/graduate will pull a videogame (mod or complete mini-game) out of their ass somehow. :/

Everyone in highschool seems to be working on robots too... If you actually ask about it (at a science fair or someplace) they tell you all the clubs are for students only.

The closest thing to that stuff open to the public sucks...

I'm so glad I'm 19 and don't fit into this category

I know for a fact actual learning doesn't happen in school.

copypasted flash shit when i was 8, started for real when i was 12 tho

it was a shitty abomination called Expression 2 for Garry's mod but it was fun as fuck.
makes me sad to see the community die and to know that an environment to learn programming like that might never come again (one as easy to pick up while having the amount of freedom it had within the games limitations)

You called?

>19
>thinks he's not a zoomer

Attached: 92ad4aee90a8716291c759422cc97742--funny-fitness-workout-fitness.jpg (474x474, 47K)

You know damn well they are. LOL

I was learning QBASIC in school when I was 15.

I learnt BASIC & Pascal in middle school

what are you on about OP, nobody's learning programming in high-school and young people are, in general, a lot more ignorant than the older generation. you don't need to screw around with the command line or have any idea how things work to play fortnite or take selfies with your phone. My impression is that almost everyone has a phone and a laptop in the west but nobody's remotely interested in learning how these things work.

I've talked with Gen Z. They dont even understand how credit cards work.

it's just a chip with that sends your routing number and account number to the terminal, yes?

I'm pretty much at the same stage you were right now, except instead of Python we did Visual Basic and the most advanced thing we've done are writing and saving csv files.
Yeah.
Where should I go from here if I want a future in I.T?

lol they didn't, gen z can't even crack a fucking videogame or root a phone, if it doesn't have handholding and instant gratification then it doesn't interest gen z

Don't give a fuck cause I'm not a code monkey in the first place

kek, they didn't. all they know about computers is how to buy fortnite skins. the rest of their life is posting photoshoped photos of themselves on instagram and commuting suicide.

My bet is on China collapsing and trying to take the rest of civilization with it. 70/30 between that, and China actually continuing to grow until their girth swallows the rest of civilization. Regardless, we're fucked.

It's a bonafide smartcard that does challenge/response authentication. But the stripe still has the account info on it, and no pin in the US makes me think "what was the damn point".

Basically how it ends up. This is why you have some with $100k+ in school loans with 0 job experience during that whole time expecting to pay it off right away. It is honestly pretty sad in the end.

>implying
We are lucky if we thaught excel macros by the physics teacher.

The funny thing is that there is no
>already learned programming
The more you learn, the more you understand your sheer ignorance and the pathetic weakness of the human mind. Past about the point when you read TaPL you realize that you know nothing at all.

I do not care, I am teaching some of them.

Me

only programming i learned in school was how to write a bat file that ran itself repeatedly

Get pic related. Follow my teacher's advice and major in something useful. That way you'll have an advamtage in getting IT jobs in the field you studied, because you'll have both programming knowledge and know-how in that field.

Attached: clanguagelarge.jpg (254x343, 16K)

I graduated from hs last year, you don't really learn it unless you elect to take it which mostly just autistic kids and try hards do.
since the ap test is Java, that's the only thing you get taught anyway

Gotta love how most of you retards seem to think your personal experience with the 3 people you've met from gen Z reflects the generation as a whole

Attached: crop later.jpg (500x505, 67K)

In my country, students learn basic algorithms like DFS and BFS in junior high school.

well I learned turtle programming language in first grade in primary school, what about that?
I also learned Visual Basic, octave and some basic database shit

Real programming is writing and maintaining a 25 kloc program.
Even CS majors have no idea how to structure a large-scale computer program.

18yo gen z zoomer here.

My school attempted to teach us programming with Scratch, nobody gave 2 flying fucks. School is now trying to teach kids programming with Minecraft commands. Wish I was fucking kidding.

Back when we took scratch classes literally nobody cared about anything that was done, neither did I.

Attached: 31632a1.png (870x852, 744K)

Yeah right. Just like how they teach you other languages in high school and everyone leaves knowing how to speak at least two languages.
If you've ever been in the education system you know that's not how it really works.

I speak three languages.

thats a good way to teach people programming, what are you complaining about?

You're technically a zoomer faggot

No he isn't. "zoomer" is such a loose term because everyone born before 2000 will only use it to refer to kids born after 2000 but even if we go with Gen Z = zoomer and use the definition on wikipedia of "mid-1990s to mid-2000s as starting birth years", he would still miss that by a year.

Iunno... I don't think it'll be reasonable to climb my way up to senior level positions with just 'competent in C' on my resume.

of course it is dumbass

20 year old zoomer here I know tonnes of zoomers with rooted phones, my phone ROM is made by some 18 year old pajeet

pajeets are boomers. all of them

Why do you have so much money user?
How can I do the same?

Attached: b223dfab434e6483453190818a1a0a6676eb7c03.jpg (462x372, 41K)

>School is now trying to teach kids programming with Minecraft commands
Literally nothing wrong with that.

Hello sir, send bobs for me pls

kindly do the needful and kys

I am boomer. Had assembly and C in school. Can easily say you will not learn much in there. When I started coding in my free time and made first serious projects I learned more than spending lifetime in school

Attached: 1555014578331.gif (1000x1000, 379K)

user i'm sorry i told you kys
i apologize

C# and Java has been covered in highschool electives basically since they were made

>tfw I live in a country full of indian immigrants and I've never once heard someone say 'do the needful'
I feel like I'm missing out

Attached: niggerfood.png (924x744, 499K)

But they're already making more than you do, as an Instagram "influencer."

They have been teaching math for thousands of years and most people dont get it

Yeah, and getting fucked by United Arab Emirates for a lot of money

lipstickalley.com/threads/instagram-model-confesses-most-doing-something-strange-for-some-change.1731940/

Attached: f971c44f54933178dc355573b733c72d9413c724.jpg (500x360, 59K)

How do you feel knowing boomers learned programming in high school?

>All the hard stuff has mostly been made

Attached: 1555262074136.jpg (700x700, 209K)

no issue, I started it when I was a literal toddler
no, it didn't make me a better programmer

I learned Turbo Pascal and Visual Basic in high school and I graduated in '98, faggot

>How do you feel knowing the gen z 18 year olds probably already learned programming in highschool?
We learned nothing except writing helloworld in Turbo Pascal.

Are you kidding? If anything zoomers are dumber than boomers when it comes to anything outside of their iPhone

Attached: zoom.jpg (340x256, 24K)

zoomer here, in our country programming was always a subject to be learned in high school, not uni
i personally find it ridiculous that ameritards have to literally get in debt to learn something I get to learn for free through the public school system

>10gb being slow
y'know, people thought moore's law will continue to exist in the current year
guess what, we've reached a limit on how small our processors can be
at a certain point we will not only hit the limits on internet speed, but there simply won't be that much to transfer over it for the consumers
hell, we're pushing the limits even now with current technology
>quantum computers
consumer-ready quantum computers aren't coming in at least five decades imo
we don't even have turing-complete quantum computers yet and you expect those incredible scientific feats to be given to brainless monkeys in just 10 years
>i have the money
that's not a reason to be content with being a dumbfuck consumerist
imagine what you could achieve if you had the brains or determination or simply if you didn't waste time on this site
go and use those money to make something great out of yourself user

idc desu senpai I learned math and physic in highschool but they arent my profession, wont this just be the same?

No, "zoomer" is used for GenZ because
"Theyre the generation born and raised into the modern period of rapid technology changes lol!"

Meanwhile your grandparents live/lived through the era of pre-computers to the transistor changing the world into what it is today.
Hell, my gramps had an internet capable web browser flip-phone before most of "zoomers" even knew how to google search how to tie their shoes.

In any case, generation defining is a faggy self serving meme. You can follow along with it if you enjoy being brainwashed with what to think about other people.

this

I'm 18 but I picked maths over computing

I learned GW BASIC in primary school, was born in '78.
It was fairly common for kids of our generation.

Now zoomers play with their phone all day long but none ever makes a phone app.

bae

I learned programming in high school and man am I old.
But you barely learn anything useful.

>we've reached a limit on how small our processors can be

No we haven't.

We just reached the limit of traditional lithography.
Specifically: any shorter wavelengths can't pass through glass.

So a radical new kind of lithography is needed, one which uses mirrors inside a vacuum chamber instead of glass lenses.
This new "extreme ultraviolet" lithography has been out for years now but it's still an engineering nightmare to get it to work reliably in a factory.

okay good i was wrong you were right congrats you just won $100m for correcting someone on the internet mr physics
the point of what I said was just to make a point (duh), not to be entirely correct
but anyways thanks for the info man, I did not know this previously and I am glad to learn about it

Your picture isn't zoomer. That's millennial in middle school

Do you always react to annoyed when you learn something?

>What's a computer?

There are several problems with lithography just one. Doping is pretty hard when the transistor channel is statistically unlikely to have a dopant atom for instance. Another one is practicality of making conductors smaller, the smaller they get the higher resistance they have and the closer they are packed the higher the capacitance - so the RC delay increases.

Unlikely that their boomer teacher knows how to program.

>probably
I learned python and some java
t. 18 year old zoomer

Sure there are many more challenges.
But the reason why we've pretty much been stuck at 14nm for years, instead of seeing slow but steady progress, is because they had to switch to a completely new type of machinery.

As long as they don't prove P=NP easily I'm ok ;)

We were learning Basic when I was in middle school back in the early 90s, I'd be surprised if it's not more common now.

Nah we've plateau'd bro.

Surprisingly it's less common.
Everything has to be pretty pictures or else kids aren't interested.

My mom is 48 and learned commodore basic in highschool in the '80s.

>How do you feel knowing the gen z 18 year olds probably already learned programming in highschool?
disgusted given the education system

GenZ is roughly +1997, basically kids who were raised with internet 3.0 and smartphones.
I'm 26 and was raised with internet 2.0 and gsm phones, that makes me a late gen Millennial. When facebook exploded I was an adult already, thank god.