Why did manufacturers stop shipping laptops with lots of indicator lights?

Why did manufacturers stop shipping laptops with lots of indicator lights?

Old ThinkPads look so fucking comfy with them.

Attached: 1556037657525.jpg (4160x3120, 885K)

There's something about old looking hardware that gives it a charm, and bright indicator lights are one of them.

Because they confuse idiots and omitting 6 leds from your design saves millions of dollars through economies of scale.
I'm just sad lenovo has gone out of their way to strip every last bit of 90s charm the thinkpad line ever had.

Sterile designs are itching my heart

cuz most ppl aren't neckbeards who need flashy LEDs for decoration

yet every norman own a rgb gaymen pc related item

Imagine thinking that:

>a light that blinks when you are uploading or downloading data from a network
>a light that tells you if you have caps lock enabled
>a light that blinks when your hard drive is under a heavy load
and
>a light that tells you if your computer is being charged
are "flashy LEDs for decoration". Please, neck yourself.

Imagine thinking that a basic flashing LED let's you know what the comp is actually doing internally.

Look at the lights on your cable modem. 99% of the time they're just flashing fast as fuck and the only info u actually get is that "it's on and doing something". Guess what buddy, the laptop already has a power LED and it's always doing something, so there's no need to have 8 separate flashing LEDs just to know that.

People who are actually interested in the computer internals have separate programs for whatever they want to monitor.

"90s charm" gives me PTSD. i worked on zenith machines that fetch big bucks on ebay at work using some word processor that interfaced to a mainframe. really horrible experience all the way around. i hate all these retro fads. let the tech die. we don't use gas to light our homes anymore

>always doing something
Mate, scan your shit, you may have some malware

Even if what you say was true (it's bullshit), these LEDs are REALLY useful if you are using a tty.

It's nice to be able to know if wireless, bluetooth, caps lock, etc. are enabled when you don't have a desktop environment running.

>actually defending no status LEDs
kys my man

>my computer is on
>it's probably doing something
Really, get a rope, neck your sorry ass.

>t.retarded boomer

Thinklight --> SOUL
Backlit keys --> SOULESS

Cause they look like shit and are useless.

Probably a bit intimidating for normalfags that can't into computers. Also if I had to guess, it's cheaper from a design standpoint to just have a solid plastic frame instead of transluscent icons burned in with LEDs behind them.

Kill yourself, you colossal fucking retard.

they can be useful but I still put tape over them

They cost money and their target audiance doesn't know what half of them mean, much less know what a computer is half the time

Attached: 1552883108640.png (691x673, 605K)

>we don't use gas to light our homes anymore
Cause its not safe. LED lights suck, I use low watt Edison bulbs. Just cause something is new doesnt mean its better.

>own a thinkpad T400
>13 LEDs to soothe my autism
>own a thinkpad T520
>doesnt even have a power indicator
>have to lean over the top of the screen to check if the battery is low if i'm doing something fullscreen
fuck you lenovo

Because most people aren't autistic toddler morons like who can't do a 1 second key press to see something while insisting to do things in full screen while not being sure if their laptop is charging or not.

I don't fucking need the green wifi LED on my W530 telling me wifi is on when I already know its on because I'm on the fucking internet and my status bar is telling me I'm connected to a network. I get all these LEDs are for redundancy or extreme cases when for some reason you're doing something while not being able to see any display output. Status LEDs are a relic from the times an OS update would take 3 hours and you just had a Windows logo to stare at and so you needed to be told the disk was being accessed and the CPU was being used in order not to think it crashed.

Hardware and software have moved on since then. Neckbeards haven't.

>applets crash because you're too much of a retarded autist to install a good distro
>you have no idea if anything is on or not
lmao

>t. söy

I'm talking about 90s Windows shit you retarded fuck. Nobody is talking about 'distros'.

You're a massive Reddbitor bugman who likes le nerdy old shit. Cringey cunt. Do you have a blinking LED that warns you about interacting with a female online lest you lose your virginity?

>A combination "its charging"/on/standby light is all that's needed but backlit keyboard letters are nice.
Looking at archives (something you guys might find interesting) it seems this comment was accidentally deleted since isn't contrary to any rules I'll just be helpful and repost it.

Blinkenlights makes silent electronic surveillance a lot more difficult.

Bloat