New to linux, can some linux wizard explain the hating of systemd

new to linux, can some linux wizard explain the hating of systemd

Attached: photodune-9547214-cute-pupil-thinking-against-idea-doodle-with-arrows-xxl-1-1600x898.jpg (1600x898, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

severe autism

>pottering is an asshat
>ibm/redhat glow too much
>muh unix philosophy
Most arguments are derived from those three.
Personally, if you combine all three it paints systemd as a security nightmare.
Imagine your service manager being so large that you might as well call your system "GNU/Linux+systemd."

What’s a good alternative?

dont fucking fall for this shit user 99% of your typical user will not experience ANY issues with systemd and will only gain faster bootup speeds

Gentoo with OpenRC

There's always a concerted smear campaign of fear, uncertainty and doubt coordinated by the enemies of software freedom targeting every major advancement in the GNU/Linux operating system.
This is nothing new.

nerds being mad that they spent 10 years learning how to write configs

Enter the Void

gentoo is slow and has a package manager written in python (100% no-go) and void frequently breaks and has an extremely small dev team.

gas yourself

Kids parroting elderly, paranoid, nutjobs, who are too stubborn/stupid to change their ways.

This. They just managed to troll better this time and also got some "purists" to join in under the guise that it's somehow too impure.

You don't have to use systemd to use Linux, but you may also probably do not need to avoid it. It's one of the best inits and successful on its merits.

> gentoo us slow
No. It runs at normal speeds.

> a package manager written in python (100% no-go)
I think it had 3 compatible reimplementations in C and C++ some of which you could still use now I think, but there really was no practical reason for people to switch.

I don't trust Redhat (now IBM). They have a full stack in Linux: Fedora, PulseAudio, flatpak, NetworkManager, systemd, gtk, GNOME, etc.
A lot of the software they develop are convenient but they also design them to depend on other software (when they don't have to).
- NetworkManager depends on Gnome
- Gnome depends on systemd
- gtk depends on Gnome (despite what the devs will tell you)
That's how they make their software the "standard."

Attached: 1522177246582.png (279x131, 8K)

Linus is flawed.

Im pretty sure he wants to retire and leave redhat in charge of the kernel.

Attached: anonymityoverated.png (733x64, 8K)

Does anyone know if drivers for the touchscreen and keyboard exist for Linux? I picked up this laptop off a friend of mine and I've been dying to put arch on this.

Attached: surface-book-main.jpg (770x433, 47K)

Please stay on topic. This thread is for the discussion of systemd FUD.

The guy I responded to brought up Linus you dunce.
The company Red Hat is leading systemd's development. That's entirely relevant.

Inserting unnecessary complexity into systems that worked fine before.
Hard to audit because of over 9 million loc

Pretty much just NEW BAD OLD GOOD mentality among boomers

imagine your init also being a login manager and a part of the network stack

lol

It was initially decent for home setups but it's become a monolith with no discernible project scope.
It's a prime example of German software: features are mindlessly crammed in on a whim until the entire blob of bugs has to be replaced from scratch.

That's entirely tinfoil.

Sorry, I meant "Hat's entirely tinfoil".
But every FUD campaign needs a bit of tinfoil hat, doesn't it?

Attached: 1522177416156.png (279x232, 12K)

Just don't worry about it.
It's not something that should be allowed to slow down your learning curve.

install gentoo

What part of it is tinfoil?
Red Hat and friends are just being dicks to the rest of the Linux ecosystem for the sake of a "greater vision."

SUSE and Canonical are both completely cucked by RH.

There’s no tinfoil he just glows in the dark

People who can't into GNU/Linux need something they can babble about to seem somewhat knowledgeable while still remaining entry-level. This and other topics provide just that because they're so subjective that nobody really knows what's going on. Unironically complaining about systemd is the hallmark of a small mind.

There was a talk about that very topic at the recent Linux.conf.au

it's the docker of host startup services, nothing wrong with that honestly

The first dozen or so thousand lines of systemd might be Pottering's, but if you look at credits in the changelog since then up to the 1 or 2 hundred thousand lines is is now, you see a lot of debian and ubuntu devs in there. Probably others as well.

systemd is absolutely fine, only the GNU neckbeards are sperging out over it
this talk is great, it explains what's all the drama is about (and it's from a former FreeBSD developers so it's not a poettering fanboy): youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo

>caring what WorstBSD devs think
lmao systemdick shills

metaphorically, the systemd developers are like the linux development community’s very own tiny little microsoft, and systemd itself is like a tiny little version of windows

Attached: back_to_reddit.jpg (717x880, 194K)

Jow Forums doesn't like things that just work. that's literally it

that was him being sardonic in an attempt to get people to realize the idiocy of "contributors" being anything more than a screen name that's judged solely on their competency

>void frequently breaks and has an extremely small dev team.
Is this the new arch breaks meme?
I haven't once had void break on me and I have it installed on multiple machines, one of which I replaced the GNU core utils on.

Attached: glowniggers.jpg (700x740, 57K)

>werx for me

The only legit grip with systemd I've ever heard is it's not POSIX

But I doesnt really matter since the only other UNIX-Like system that is worth anything is FreeBSD and it's pretty Useless if it's not running Linux programs or running on network equipment.

Touch screen drivers as well as wacom/pen support is implemented into the kernel as far as i can tell. Works extremely well on my Yoga 730.

You ran out of arguments.

>x is shit because it doesn't work for me
>hey user it works for me and I have a fairly large sample of systems and use cases I've put it through with no issues
Idk what to tell you user.
Runit is faster and simpler than SystemD and systemd has issues that have been argued to death already.
The plain and simple fact is that runit is better, so ot doesn't matter if systemd is "better" than sysvinit, because runit is better than systemd, not that it's hard to be better than dog shit but why would I go back to dogshit when I have runit?

Anyone ever try Epoch for the init system?

systemd is a service manager that comes with a init system.

I haven't do you have a link?
I tried searching epoch init and epoch init linux and the only info I can find is on the wikipedia page for init.

>Why do people hate having bloatware with millions of unnecessary lines of code that is difficult to opt out of using?
It's a mystery.

It is because systemd doesn't follow. The Unix philosophy of doing just one thing and one thing well. It does several different things.

It centralizes hand in the power of the corporatist moguls in charge of Red Hat (2018 revenue was 3.4 billion making money with the DoD.

kill yourself purple haired tranny neckbeard.

Enjoy your slavery nigger faggot.

It oversteps its state use to the point it has more in common with the average windows program than a secure and not bloated init system

Good thing Linux isn't Unix.

What the fuck did you just fucking type about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class at MIT, and I’ve contributed to numerous open source projects including the Linux Kernel, and I have over 300 merged pull requests. I am a trained Linux Foundation Certified Engineer and I’m the top hacker in the entire world. You are nothing to me but just another virus host. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the Internet, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with typing that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As I am typing on Jow Forums I am tracing your IP with my damn bare hands so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your computer. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can hack into your files in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in hacking, but I have access to the entire arsenal of every piece of malware ever created and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the world wide web, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking fingers. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit code all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Apparently a great way to shut someone up. Everyone went quiet. Gonna save this.

One million lines of spaghetti made by an asshat who rewrites software he doesn't understand. Also, the journaling will eat insane amounts of RAM by default if the system is left idle. I'm talking several GB over the course of two or three weeks. Never mind the security issues, it's dogshit for server use because it hogs system resources for inane shit.

Works on my machine

>difficult
everything is difficult for brainlets like you