Why do people just straight lie...

Why do people just straight lie, claiming that building your own computer is cheaper than buying one built by someone else? Every time someone claims this they post a shitty link to parts picker, but the list always excludes things like an optical drive and the fucking operating system, among other things, which is several hundred dollars more. Is everyone just fucking stupid or what?

Attached: 1ddf447e-742b-4423-b8ff-26a0137af972_1.ed3810851d074bbdcb8d19288248ed63.jpg (1600x900, 402K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182074
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147246
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157871
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113544
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231890
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAET87E11851
microcenter.com/product/478826/ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler
youtube.com/watch?v=CDUZRNp4pxg
google.com/amp/s/msguides.com/microsoft-software-products/2-ways-activate-windows-10-free-without-software.html/amp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Optical drives are like $20 and you can just use literally any 7/8/8.1 key you can find lying around to activate Windows 10, I've done this on 11 machines. Otherwise, you can get OEM keys for like $5.
You're a retard, fuck off.

Attached: 1469657456020.jpg (659x637, 68K)

Or just get a linux distro. That's not a bad option either for people.
And yeah right about the optical drives, I don't have blu-ray but my dvd burner was only 20 dollars. Blu-ray prob double that ?

this

Attached: tylerd.gif (500x349, 906K)

>2019
>optical drive
why

My Windows key was free.

self-built computers are the best option for high end machines, for low end machines just buy a used OptiPlex or something

>optical drive
a bluray drive is $60
a DVD drive is like $20
and even prebuilts don't bother anymore
>windows
you can get a legit Windows key for less than $30, and that's assuming you're bothering with Windows

>Windows 10
Sorry, I'm not jewish nor Indian.

Because you might not be retarded?

Yeah basically. If you have unlimited cash build it yourself. If you actually live in the real fucking world and don't live in your parents basement with mommy and daddy paying for literally all of your expenses like most of this site then pre-built makes much more sense price-wise.

Its mostly driven by anti-console shitters from /v/, I bought my pre-built with the notion of upgrading it later on.

If you just 'need a computer for reasons', you might want to look into a laptop. The point of building a desktop is that there are no compromises. Prebuilts usually get shitty PSUs, reference cooler GPUs, bargain bin drives, a budget mobo that often has the bare minimum features and a questionable case. You are unlikely to get everything you want in a prebuilt unless you're willing to shell out alienware-tier money; at that point, a prebuilt is objectively cheaper in every regard. If you don't know what you're looking for, a prebuilt is sure to be cheaper, however.

Okay, Linux is free and keys for other versions can be even cheaper.
Epic argument.

Laptops are garbage.

Nobody uses Linux.

>'COMPUTER FOR REASONS'
what

>keys for other versions can be even cheaper.
Great reading, also, I agree, hence why I said 10 in my first post you chucklefuck.

>Laptops are garbage.
I agree, one laptop I solely use as file server that also sits above my headboard and is angled so I can watch shit on it when I go to sleep; the other I use when I need to do something technical like edit an image/video, otherwise I use my work chromebook to surf the web

I already bought a case, a psu, an optical drive and so on and on when I assembled my first computer, I'm not gonna buy them again.

Tbh 95% of people who build a PC need Windows because they only build it to play games.

A few people build machines for Linux and those guys are doing it for “real tech stuff” and those aren’t the people who need to be convinced that building is cheaper than buying.

>optical drive
>paying for an operating system
t. Winboomer

Attached: boomer1.png (380x349, 77K)

>Nobody would ever own a CD or DVD
Why are all zoomers literally retarded?

I have to say, just today I needed one.

I wanted to install an old software I bought in 2012 and there is no download available anymore and I don't want to use a torrent version to activate it with my key.

enjoy your $5 time-bomb licenses

yes. lots of people have a parts fetish, analogous to car mods. they think they are hacking the system by choosing from the same 3-4 suppliers on partpicker. it is sad really. most economical is to buy used

Do you have brain damage or just down syndrome?

>buy one
>realize the PSU is underpowered when upgrading graphics in 2 years
>has cheap 4x DRAM modules instead of good 2x dual channel
>budget hardware like OCZ back in the days prone to fail without warning
>cheap mobo

Any tech literate sees what is wrong with pic related

Attached: PC_innen_88994-ciw-jg_PR.jpg (2448x1713, 1.27M)

>optical drive
>proprietary operating system
Obsolete

Multiple actually, for several years.

Attached: g.png (200x193, 30K)

boomers

building a computer is a fool's errand.

>optical drive
>current year

Attached: 1501110607741.jpg (675x450, 21K)

Building a computer is worth it if you are building a gaming PC, that's about it.

>optical drive

When you buy windows it comes on a usb stick nowadays, not a cd you nigger.

>buying windows in the first place

Youre a nigger and a faggot, op

Do you own floppy disks too?

Attached: boomers.png (1500x761, 276K)

Most people are fucking retarded. They don't give a shit the past exists and they don't plan for the future. That's why nobody can comprehend why someone would have an optical drive. Because why on Earth would you want to ever have anything to do with old software of any kind?

I think this is it more than anything. You always note that the kind of people who are parks junkies always pretend that picking parts is easy, when there are like 5 billion different versions of a given part.

>paying for windows

Attached: 1545819043749.png (254x254, 47K)

>not owning a bluray reader / writer to make legit backups for your home cinema NAS

1. People still use CDs and DVDs. Deal with it.
2. Nobody uses Linux.

Well, I either
A) get the drive from my old PC to install the software ( and I am pretty sure I can't install updates and I have to live with the shjipped version full of bugs)

B) get the latest cracked version

C) buy the latest version for ~70$

Sony Movie Studio by the way.
Version 12, you only can download back to version 13 from the official site.

and I missed the humblebundle sale of version 15 :(

>fucking operating system,
>paying for the OS
heh

>parents basement with mommy and daddy paying for literally all of your expenses like most of this site then pre-built makes much more sense price-wise.
It's possible to live on your own and have a bit of extra spending money.

fpbp

This.
Prebuilts always cut corners. They have to. You get a shitty firecracker PSU and probably some fucking terrible OEM Foxconn mainboards.

Now without getting that start from your parents.

I have 4 computers, just to myself. not one has a optical drive, i even removed it from my laptop to install a ssd in addition to the 1tb it came with. my answer to a disk drive? buy a $30 external disk drive. 1 drive for 4 computers and any other computers you might come across

>optical drive
>2019
Damn right I have them in all my machines. Updated with said pic just last year. I do own 1 external I keep with my laptop in my bag but it is easier to just use the bay available and toss in 2 2.5 hard drives as well. Internally I keep a 3.5 WD Blue or Black drive as backup.

Attached: Icy Dock DVD and 2 drives.png (1570x559, 191K)

*Not

>Using HDDs in addition to SSDs
>Having to rely on external drives
>Sharing 1 drive between 4 computers
Oh no, but optical drives are the problem. I think most of the world has legitimately lost its fucking mind.

Oh, sorry for doing a cheap upgrade to my laptop. As well, I have not once needed a disk drive outside of work in the last 6 years at the very least, the future is now old man

pre-builts are older gear for more money.

brb watching 4 dvds at once on 4 different computers with my 8 eyes

Only shitty system integraters do this
OEMs like Dell, HP etc have a bit of an obligation to give quality power supplies (even if they are low wattage) as these things go into businesses and homes where the last thing they want is to have someone's shit burnt down because that is a a lawsuit and a half right there
Same goes for the motherboards
They're basic but are suppose to be reliable, this is why you see OEM systems still kicking after a decade or more
People seem to conflate basic with low quality and while system integraters will sometimes use objectively shitty motherboards, OEMs do try to use quality parts even if basic

Yeah, pretty much, the only time i ever tell someone to get a pre-built is for old people, why? because it comes with a warranty so i don't have to go back and fix it every other week

wait, you guys pay for windows?
I got all versions from 95 to 7 on CDs à friend copied over old Electric wizard albums, then Microsoft gave me updates for free. I thought that's how everyone did it.

Attached: images(4).jpg (299x168, 12K)

>Microsoft updates

It's how reddit talks

What boomers and retards use is irrelevant. And Windows costs $5 off eBay if you aren't totally and completely brainded but if you want to install Windows you probably are

He shouldn't be smoking around oxygen.

>the fucking operating syste
being this retarded, living in the 3rd world is amazing, we don´t pay for that shit

>Laptops are garbage.
not all people are fucking basement incels or office trolls, some of us need to move trough places using our laptops.

>go buy gamer prebuilt
>i7 8700K
>RTX 2080
>480GB ssd
>16gb of ram
>not much higher price than it would built yourself
>open up the PC to get the insides
>intel stock cooler
>1 stick DDR4 2133MHz generic brand
>some custom dell motherboard
>shitty 450W PSU
At least it has an LED case, right?

>optical drive
Welcome to the future, time traveler. Enjoy the dystopia.

You're completely wrong, btw.

I'm wrong that people won't want to watch their old DVDs or use old CDs?

I have a external drive that I've use like maybe once a year including on other peoples computers. That's not why you're wrong, the premise that prebuilt is cheaper than selfbuilt is completely wrong. You're are not comparing the same parts just pretending you are. While both oem and personal licenses get you windows they are not the same. Might not be getting the best price through pcpartspicker. Search for individual parts separately or as part of a package deal.
Why aren't you using your existing windows license, why buy a new one?

>optical drive

You're missing total price. You literally can't built a new computer on the cheap.

Yes I can, maybe you can't idk.

>have multiple laptops with optical drives if i need to ever do anything with a cd
>have multiple USB sticks for various purposes in case i need to transfer data from that optical drive

and what kind of pc do you need, a strong one?
I paid $2k CAD for my i7-8700 cpu 16gb ram 1070 graphics, fractal r6 case, and the peripherals i already had or got over time at my own leisure
that said i also pick up whatever shitty PCs on ebay or other such sites i can when I need another box I can swap parts out from or just use as an ssh box
i feel like you're complaining because you're a retard who doesn't do his research

the only part ill agree is that win7 keys are retarded expensive still

Perhaps our definitions of cheap are different.

I seriously hope you're not claiming that $2,000 is cheap. I can spend $2,000 on eBay and get a better machine than that.

i'm not claiming that $2000 is cheap actually i forgot to write more in that because i got sidetracked
$2000 gets me really fuckin good performance on ultra in viddy games and i really dont need it
$700 of that was a graphics card
im also not wholly considering wasted cost (i broke a $130 motherboard by dropping a pop tab on it from my desk while i was working on something else)
but 2k CAD is only 1.4k USD - i dont know if you actually live in canada or not but like goddamn

I miss optical media. If only a spindle of blu-rays had been cheaper and the drives not painfully pricey. Sometimes you don't want to pay $5 per thumbdrive for disposable crap you're shipping off to god knows where, you just want to burn a $0.30 plastic piece of shit that nobody is going to keep after using it once.

No u

Your life can't even start without your parents

Exactly. And capitalism ensures that any mistakes parents make their children must pay for with their lives. It is an incredibly jewish philosophy.

Id love to have this, but $82 seems over priced for what is essentially a few shelves of metal...

Because it literally is, the bare minimum you actually need is:
$30 400W PSU (good enough for 65W CPU + 120W GPU)
$30 m-ATX mini tower case
$60 B450 motherboard
$50 200GE dual-core 3.2GHz zen 1
$50 2x4GB 2666 DDR4 RAM kit
$20 120GB SSD

So about $200-250 depending on how many rebates you take advantage of + GPU. Of course you can get a 20-40% FPS boost upgrading to a hexa-core processor but this is more than enough starting out. And like the anons said wankblows OEM keys are like $5 and dvd drives (how boomer r u?) like $20.

Attached: 46355300_1864608303666276_8215805656524692601_n.jpg (734x769, 72K)

Adding to this: find me a brand new prebuilt PC with all these specs for at least $250.

protip: you can't

>120GB SSD
No need to blatantly lie now, you stupid faggot. Who the fuck wants 100GB of storage?

I said the BARE minimum, you can always get a $20 500GB spinning rust for your chink toons and other vidya later on. The point is your wankers 10 OS install + whatever shitty free to play trash heap you children are playing these days will perfectly fit in that SSD.

Attached: download.jpg (640x853, 66K)

So once again, the parts picker nicker is pretending that things are cheaper than they are, by selecting a group of choices nobody's going to pick. Thank you for proving my point again.

lurk more

Attached: lil.jpg (492x367, 59K)

PSU: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182074
Case: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147246
MB: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157871
CPU: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113544
RAM: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231890
SSD: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAET87E11851

It's all right fucking there chief and if you don't like the CPU you can snag a hexa-core cpu for $80 at microcenter.

microcenter.com/product/478826/ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

My biggest problem is that I'm terrified of building the computer myself. I can look up competitive prices, ensure compatibility for every part, and even drive down to the places to buy the parts, but putting them together is no small task. Sure you have a bundle of guides and helping hands on the internet, but PC parts are really fragile. Accidentally step on a rug while handling a motherboard? Congrats, the static destroyed it. Bend a tiny pin while putting the GPU in place? Completely ruined, gotta get a new one.

Of course it's worth it to have absolute control over your hardware, but it requires a good deal of effort and being as careful as possible.

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u10.jpg (550x548, 33K)

>actually buying windows
>current year
AutoKMS nigga

Attached: 1375667549864.jpg (400x400, 22K)

youtube.com/watch?v=CDUZRNp4pxg
if you aren't baiting

It's actually pretty hard to fuck up the assembly process desu. Just screw in the PSU first, make sure it's off and touch the case every couple of minutes, this will discharge any ESD you may have built up since the casing of the PSU is grounded and by screwing in the screws you have essentially grounded the pc case as well. Then just place your MB on top of the box it came in, install your CPU (follow the yellow arrow), RAM, heatsink (in that order). Finally put in the IO shield into the case, screw in the MB on the standoff screw mounts, hook up the MB/CPU power cables, SATA/front panel, and you're fucking done for the base install.

As for the GPU you just seat it into the top 16X pci-express slot and secure it in place with the top plate screw, install drivers, and you're good to go.

Not him but what point, that you're trying to justify overpaying for poorer quality hardware in a attempt to not regret your purchase of a prebuilt you're now realize is shit?

Building your pc is a retard normalfag filter

Timeless bait.

>it's hard to mess up the assembly process
>just do [extremely long and detailed list of instructions in this exact order without any deviation]

I get what you're both saying, including the video linked, but you can't expect your average joe to just be able to slap everything together and have it work.

Consider it like a regular optical drive. When you upgrade it can move over to the newer computer case with very little extra work. When I bought them they were only $60. Not a bad price for 2 hot swapping 2.5 bays with a optical slot. In under a minute I can have a completely different OS dedicated PC just from shutting down, swapping 2 front drives and powering on. No need to worry about dual booting or which HD to boot from. I can turn a PC into a server 2016 and back into windows 7 or into MX Linux all in the same day. Toss the labeled OS SSD into a drawer and pull out as needed. Keep a 2 or 4 TB 3.5 inside the machine with NTFS only for storing clonezilla images in case something happens to the drives. You can easily get a Sandisk 120 GB SSD for under $35 on Amazon or the 250 gb Samsung Evo for $60.

Hard drives are cheap, you can buy a window key for like $2 on eBay and generally pre built systems charge a $200+ premium

I've bought and used 5 of these and after two years they're still fine. Even if they crap it tomorrow 5 bucks for two years is a bargain compared to the regular price, id just buy more.

Here you go user I just saved you $100 on your next pc. You can pirate windows with this windows 10 key and command prompt. Just put a bootable iso of windows 10 on your flashdrive and install without activating yet. This website gives out activation keys for windows 10 for free and a step by step of the commands to put in command prompt.

google.com/amp/s/msguides.com/microsoft-software-products/2-ways-activate-windows-10-free-without-software.html/amp

Why do you faggots keep talking about HDDs but then insult other people for something useful like optical drives? Spinning platters belong in the ashcan of history.

Okay great. Now how much you going to pay me to install Windows 10 on my computer?

Because HDDs are still better than SSDs for long term storage.