V0 or v2 for mp3?

v0 or v2 for mp3?

I’m talking for music player use; obviously FLAC for archival.

Attached: image.jpg (528x412, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OPUS

that’s not a satisfactory answer. what config and why?

listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

96k opus is near transparent and much better than 128kbps mp3. 128kbps is where opus reaches peaks for most people and they can't tell the difference between that and FLAC quality audio. Mp3 at 128kbps gets trashed in abx up until ~256K or so

Also, is there any particular reason why you shouldn’t encode vinyl rips instead of keeping them as FLACs even for mobile media player use?

I've read that 160kps opus sounds as good as 320kps mp3 @ considerably reduced filesize, but I just listen to flacs on my computer because I have shit tons of hd space, and fuck mobile because I don't like wearing earbuds or headphones for more than 10 minutes.

Just listen to the FLACs

I'm trying to maximize my library size capability on my DAP brother.

If I was just listening on my desktop obviously I would do that

Opus

>FLAC for archival
god I live how newtards fall for that stupid copypasta about bit degradation

Opus is a meme. Go AAC 320

I thought that was a meme. If people actually believe it, yikes!

how the fuck is opus a meme faggot

Stop pedaling your false narratives.

fpbp

You're one dumb nigger. You archive in uncompressed/lossless so you can transcode to other formats if the need arises.

Personally, I use V0, in the latest versions of LAME it uses a slightly quality tuning, there's no lowpass filter at ~19.5kHz anymore. V2 is transparent, however I like the headroom that V0 has for problem samples.

For Opus, 96k is ~V2, 128k (default bitrate) is ~V0.

I use Opus for my portable music library too. Here's the command I use to encode:
ffmpeg -hide_banner -i "$1" -vn -c:a libopus -vbr on -frame_duration 60 -b:a 110000 "`dirname "$1"`/`basename "$1" .flac`.opus"

Is there an advantage to using ffmpeg over opusenc? Luckily there is only one implementation of the libopus encoder so quality concerns between encoding programs is moot. However, my main concern would be transfer of tags.

>how the fuck is opus a meme faggot
i had a large 16 / 24bit flac library and and i squeezed it to ~112kb/s opus and it was good but i could only play it on my iphones with foobar2k

I then later deleted it and did a re-encode to 128kbps AAC. It was supported better / could play it on my watch and my bluetooth / tin audio t2 AIROHA chipset supports AAC so its not being re-encoded over the BT SBC A2DP layer. Personally i thought the BT opus re-encode to AAC had audible artefacts.

Thats why

Attached: IMG_7303.jpg (3264x2448, 3.89M)

CONCLUSION: nothing beats opus below 96kbps and its a pretty solid format if you have an android phone

however 128kbps and above AAC sounds the same and has much better hardware compatibility especially when it comes to iphones and bluetooth headsets - opus is not a supported BT codec

mp3 320 is waste of space and a quarter centry old codec, flac is based, wavepack and ape are wack and DSD 128 5.6mhz is god / master tape / final boss tier.

Attached: b8fca928-58ce-4559-bf67-d474fee07b3e.png (1831x950, 209K)

ffmpeg is universal, they both use the same underlying libopus library

>not being re-encoded over the BT SBC A2DP layer
How can I tell if this is happening? My ears aren't good enough to hear it. If I switch to AACs, how can I make sure it's not re-encoding those too?

at the moment BT 5.0 A2DP only has SBC (headset) , MP3, MP4 AAC and ATRAC (sony minidisc) audio codecs

you dont get to pick its all pretty opaque and pics the best one but my old iphone 6 and my Debian Macbook Air and new chink BT MMCX Cable all easily default to the highest AAC setting.

If your AAC is usually below 180kbps it should be passed through bit perfect, if its higher the AAC tanscode is totall transparent.

t. been studying the shit out of it lately

Attached: 2019-04-24 12.32.24 2754c53a82a5.jpg (743x624, 127K)

* ill get into Apt-X LDAC later..

It's a shame there's no way to know for sure whether it's actually passing it through bit perfect. Sure it's technically possible but if the music player app decodes the audio to filter it, or if it doesn't use the right system call, it's going to end up transcoding anyway. Still, I think I will give it a try and see if I can hear any difference.

I did the test and could tell FLAC from any of the others