/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Everything PHP

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg_laptop_pried_open.jpg (2592x1552, 747K)

Other urls found in this thread:

php.net/manual/en/class.mysqli-result.php
github.com/websockets/ws,
lynxhub.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WHO /NOJOB/ HERE?

>tfw working at 2am
can't say I regret it desu

Sudaca?

Is this accurate?

Attached: ifdataaboutthe.png (693x430, 39K)

Maniwani has fairly decent caching support now. There were a couple longer threads on Futatsu that previously took 5 seconds to render that now take about 500ms with a warm cache. Only thread/post data in addition to rendered Markdown is cached, so the current bottleneck is rendering the final HTML page. I'll look into caching the final rendering, but I probably won't get around to finishing that until this weekend.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-24 Maniwani - A test thread.png (1882x971, 174K)

Where did you get this chart? I'm not entirely sure what they mean by "data about the server".

The top half mostly makes sense, although I'd say for data about the client being stored forever on the client, you could make use of localStorage. That stuff is tied to the specific browser though, so most of the time you're better off storing stuff in a database server-side so that you can associate the data with a user account or whatever. So I can see where they're coming from.

Someone pls help I'm retard
How do I run a mysql query in PHP and print it's results?
All I can do is connect and, when I run:
$result = $mysqli->query($query);
print_r($result);

All I get is meaningless blabber about the amount of returned queries (which is the expected amount).
How do I print the data inside?
pls help I'm learning php as we speak and google didn't help

I made the charrt. I admit it's somewhat of a clumsy choice of words, but by "data about the server," I meant mostly data that comprises website content, whether informational content or procedural content. That is, data that has more to do with the web service in question than it has to do with the specific client using said service. E.g., the number of clients connected would be an example because it has more to do with the web service than it has to do with whatever specific client instance would be receiving that information. Another example would be a directory listing, or the contents of a file.

RTFM php.net/manual/en/class.mysqli-result.php

You're getting a mysqli_result object, you want to get at the returned rows using $result->fetch_array() or $result->fetch_object()

t. Pajeet who doesnt make youtube tutorials

>meaningless blabber
Can you copy/paste it here so we can help you ?
Anyway, if you request is correct and your database well-configured, you should iterate over your results
:
if($result){
// Cycle through results
while ($row = $result->fetch_object()){
$user_arr[] = $row;
}
// Free result set
$result->close();
$db->next_result();
}

Attached: d6200e5ce81a40b1fad52ed6ff3b79cd.png (362x211, 30K)

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, ANY D3 V5 TUTORIALS OUT THERE THAT AREN'T ABSOLUTE SHIT? I JUST NEED THOSE FUCKERS TO BE DONE WITH MY FCC FULLSTACK CERT BUT GOD**DAMN** IS THIS A PAIN IN THE ASS

CAPS LOCK FOR CRUISE CONTROL

Attached: 1212692500508.jpg (345x311, 10K)

What do you guys think about Hugo?
I want to make a simple static blog with org mode so I looked into ox-hugo but it is a cluster fuck to my eyes since I'm not familiar with webdev.
I'm looking into org-publish alternatives but I fail to find brainlet friendly guides so I may end up doing it by bash script concatenation.

Is freecodecamp curriculum worth doing in 2019? Or is it better just learning from mozilla tutorials/docs?

try gatsbyjs

It's good to get your feet wet in WebDev. I have a ton of complaints about how they do things, but it's free so you can't really bitch too hard about it, but in the end, you will have a full-stack understanding of how shit works.

Don't get into web development you'll hate it

/thread

>Don't get into web development you'll hate it
you'll eventually hate every job, so...

How the fuck do I solve this problem?

I want to use position: absolute but it looks like shit

Attached: 1111.png (791x483, 10K)

you would be better off putting it on jsfiddle user

Everything about web development is a rushed mess where all of your co-workers are all basic tier programmers who could barely make the cut and rely on packages and libraries written by smart "cucks" who work for free on github for "Good Job" stickers.

Choose web development if you want to spend the rest of your days cursing javascript and spending 50% of your time adjusting margins and paddings only for the entire thing to go to shit on another device, or your line manager deciding all your extra work is uneeded and just make it simplier again.

Web developers are the factory workers of the IT world

Why do you want to use absolute?

relative goes to shit in responsive designing

the text goes somewhere else and does not appear on screen

or u know just use bootstrap

still uses bootstrap and not the superior flex which is native.

Don't cling to the bandages.

How can I make some text responsive in the way that it adjusts it size to always fit in it containing div without overflowing?

Attached: EFAF166B-AEA5-4EDE-B942-50AD0DD9EF09.jpg (701x904, 72K)

Just use Flexbox

Absolute is a lot more shit for responsive than relative. If you have problems you probably fucked up something else. Show us a code.

Text fitting into container using automatic line breaks should be default behaviour.

So supposedly you should be able to apply CSS styles to WebVTT subtitles, but last I tried it there weren't very great results.
Anyone know how limited is CSS styling on WebVTT subtitles, and how far away it is from being able to make weeb-tier subtitles?

It's too rigid imo and real scenarios aren't that clear cut, where you can use a table or flowchart to decide what your code should do.
Can't you export it to markdown? Then you can use pretty much anything to make a static site out of it.
>relative goes to shit in responsive designing
>I want to use position: absolute but it looks like shit
If the layout looks bad on resize, then position: absolute isn't some magical solution.
What do you think absolute positioning will solve in this case?
Do you even know what absolute positioning does or why were you surprised, when the elements ended up on top of each other?

Watching you progress at a snail's pace over several months is just sad.

>absolute positioning for responsive layouts
I don't know what you're doing but I can tell you it's wrong

hello fellow pajeet

Current undisputed dominant technologies used in webdev right now:
>React (Winner of the javascript front-end war)
>Static pages (JAMstack, Static site generators)
>PostgreSQL (Best relational database)
>Go (Best new server-side language. Golden standard for API's. Incredibly fast, and you probably don't even need a framework to build something with it.)
>Ruby on Rails (Still the most productive stack available. It CAN scale, and even if it's slow 'just werks' for 99% of use cases.)

Upcoming web dev technologies:
>Lightweight server-side rendering using websockets (like .NET's Razor Components. Finally real rich interactive user interfaces without Javascript).
>Web Components (Reusable self-contained drop-in functionality)
>Web Assembly (Flash/Java Applet's true successor. Great browser apps are coming back.)

Are you ready for the future Jow Forums?
PHP neanderthals and Node.js code monkeys need not respond. Stay minimum wage.

Attached: 04f8491f26528d777a3b170642c366340f501ce0715663980122a40a68da4b9a.jpg (800x1000, 233K)

>Go (Best new server-side language. Golden standard for API's. Incredibly fast, and you probably don't even need a framework to build something with it.)

Unironically literally objectively nobody uses this shit stop fcuking shilling it

Attached: 1537374007661.jpg (949x678, 228K)

Lmao C# with .core-net is the best API tech and you know it

Attached: 214141241.jpg (480x480, 22K)

>Go

Attached: 5232525.jpg (1622x1154, 230K)

So accurate it hurts.
I really am a dumb code monkey.

Attached: 3061ccd7ff741c0c850a5f9f346f03da710981ff.jpg (480x480, 40K)

Please, be respectful.
I'm sure this user is doing it's best.

Web-dev is the easiest way to get into better programming jobs, you have to start somewhere

Problem is all the JS monkeys never learn a thing about data structures, algorithms, complexity, programming design patterns, linear algebra...

The list goes on an on, and every last one of them gets super defensive trying to justify why they don't have even a simple grasp of the most fundamental computer science concepts. It'd be sad if they weren't such pricks 99% of the time.

i'm a js developer, know all of that and i never use it on my job, is not people fault, is companies fault.

Is a websocket a middleware in simple words?

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. "I don't need to know this stuff because I don't use it. But also I totally know all of it."

What entails 'advanced' javascript?

Over the last few years I've set up my own web servers (on VPS) to tinker around with, setting up MySQL DBs and writing PHP. I wrote a web 1.0 style message board for my friends and I to use which was really fun. I really dig the PHP + basic javascript style of web pages, similar to Jow Forums. What should I learn next? Any specific tutorials you would recommend? I'd like to expand my web dev skills, but avoid anything like the bloated garbage that is the modern web.

just adding that I'm fairly comfortable with most CS concepts as I have a maths degree so don't be afraid to suggest anything with a bit of a larger learning curve.

Learn a web framework like, Symfony or Laravel,
and also some DevOps (You already know how to operate a VPS so that's great!! Now you just have to automate it : learn about Docker, CI/CD, load balancers etc ... Also, learn how to link a domain name to your site, if you've not already done it). Learn how to automate everything.

Once you master those, you'll easily find a 150k$/y+ job

Then, if you are really clever, learn about distributed systems, with tech like Kubernetes, and hell, even add AI on top of it ! (Tensorflow Distributed Training ...) You can go pretty far with your Math degree honestly.

Also I forgot,
to separate yourself from the mass of not very talented developers, learn an advanced text editor like Vim or Emacs, and also Tmux. You'll improve your workflow a lot.

After all ofthis, one of the GAFAM or NATU company may recruit you.

if not web development, what should i be aiming to if i want to start from the bottom and become a software engineer for IA, games or something interesting?

im on a maritime academy but i think it sucks and i like computers. will IT suck too?

Depends.
Are you really passionate about computers ?
You can begin by learning Python, which is the perfect langage for what you want to do because :
1. It's easy for beginners
2. It's the most commonly used langage for AI and advanced stuff.

But you should rather post in /dpt/ to talk about those I guess

>ASP Core / simple, feature rich, performant webframework
>SignalR / real-time communication on par with elixir
>Postgre with Dapper / best way to manage Db
>Razor/ lightweight server-side rendering
>Blazor/client-side reactive UI on wasm with painless JS Interop
It is over .NET Core won.

>Postgre with Dapper / best way to manage Db
But Entity Framework Core is better if you use net-core

I just started learning socket.io and it's amazing.

get in lads.

why is socket.io so popular? do people really need those extra features, why not just use native web sockets?

honestly i don't know, i started with it because everybody talks about it, maybe because it's easy to implements

>native websockets
but that is not a dependency, user

>but that is not a dependency, user
yeah, I guess you are right. You'd probably loose 50-60kb on your bundled files.

I've personally used this github.com/websockets/ws, because I don't see the point of those extra features in socket.io (in my use case)

sorry for my ignorance, but what are these extra features?

>Can't you export it to markdown?
Yeah, that's what ox-hugo does I guess. It converts it to markdown and adds all the go dependencies to make it work

I think I just figured out how to use org-publish
I guess I'll either steal someone's css or stick with the boomer aesthetic.

i cant say im passionate about anything as a job.

im good at math, i like problem solving, i like technology and my hobbies are all related to computers.

i want to know how much working in IT sucks; will i have to do much overtime, will companies suck my soul etc...

im also concerned about future plans in this industry when im past 30 or so

meant to quote

>sorry for my ignorance, but what are these extra features?
rooms and namespaces, and some other things.

But, honestly, you could implement those things yourself with native sockets and would get a greater understanding how those things work.

For me it was very hard to integrate web-sockets into an express-app. Specially since I wanted the ability to send messages outside of the web-sockets environment. For example, I wanted the ability to notify users about messages or notifications (which is done outside of the web sockets-client)

you shouldn't need such a table to determine what to use

i don't know where you got that from, but given that visual basic is rated so high, it shouldn't be taken seriously

Anyone know of any web IDEs that I can integrate to my site?

I'm writing my web browser game in C/FastCGI and no one will stop me.

Tiobe Index and its based

Guys i have a dilemma, so i am making a imdb-like website for my portfolio (back-end + front-end) and i have a little problem, well of course movies have to have a cover right, but i wonder if ishould upload an img to the database or just a string which is a link to an img and use that, i'd prefer uploading an img but then i will have to send all of those images to heroku to seed the db and i am like...eh, maybe i will just the links

Attached: 574745742345.jpg (462x621, 55K)

>fairly decent caching
>LITERALLY NO CACHING
ok dude
Also, l2compression.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-24 09-57-08.png (1920x1080, 144K)

btw, 200 concurrent requests still kill your server. Now it's even worse, because it doesn't time out, it just flat out gives a 502 immediately.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-04-24 09-59-21.png (1920x1080, 73K)

>Current undisputed dominant technologies
>Go
>RoR
lmao

love it or hate it, but PHP is still the most prominent one.
Node adoption is still increasing every day.
Go could be ok, but people actually have to start using it.
>React, SSG, Postgres
that's true though.
I will still keep using Vue :^)

I thought that Angular or Vue are more demanded or popular

Student reporting in, I'm late, I hope I'm at least right and I can make it.

at least he's trying, go eat some more dicks or something...

That's real slow... I'm upset that I can't get below 30ms in my current project, and I haven't even THOUGHT about caching yet. What's your stack?

Or maybe they want to stick to design and UI/UX?

I need to figure out Docker by the day's end. Where do I start?

css is fucking gay
>works on pc, works on chrome and firefox
>works on emulated mobile inside chrome dev tools
>breaks on real mobile

seems like mobile breaks on css, fuck mobile...

>Where do I start?
at the beginning

you useless fucking nigger stfu

calm down friend

Can someone recommend me a good website to learn how to use httrack well? I'm having lots of problems with it, files missing, cache errors,etc

Flask on top of python 3. I doubt it wil get much better.

Testing with Chrome dev tools mobile mode isn't sufficient, it doesn't have the same parameters as a mobile device would, only the screen size.

is right user.
This or cherrypy,
or PHP 7.3 with opcache + APCu, and a lightweight framework

Been working on mobile support for my front-end for a while now.
r8
lynxhub.com/

Attached: logo.png (215x212, 11K)

Currently killing myself trying to make a good UX

Attached: output.webm (647x533, 208K)

why does it not switch to the mobile nav style, when I resize my browser, but only if I use the mobile-device-view from the dev-tools?
Are you using some kind of device detection instead of just relying on screen width?

Also I feel like the nav symbols alone are a bit confusing in the mobile view. If you haven't seen them with text in the desktop layout before, then you have no idea what they are doing.

The elements on the bottom (pic) could also be more uniform in their dimensions and positioning. Not just on mobile, but any width.

Attached: mob.jpg (426x554, 39K)

Looks good to me user

impressive selling points
t.brainlet

I use this on the css:
@media only screen and (max-device-width: 812px)
I didn't came up with it originally, so there might be a better way that I didn't bother to look after.

>memeterial design
already failed bro

Whats wrong with Memeterial

Thanks

Attached: file.png (1600x948, 526K)

If you don't have a special reason, I think it's better to use max-width instead of max-device-width here

kek, you obviously need a small margin on the borders of the text, because the text comes way too close to the border of the screen, it doesn't bother me on the rigth side, but it does on the left side, just add like 3 pixels or something, maybe even 5. Idk, try and see what's best.
t. actually tried it on my mobile phone

Noted.