/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s), T500, W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x534, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/IMG_4096.JPG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Old thread isn't full yet, retard.

On Friday, after turning my ThinkPad on, I noticed that both the touchpad and the pointing stick were not working. I rebooted my machine, and it died. The screen turned itself on, but not even the BIOS showed up.

It remained like that until Sunday. That day, it suddenly started working again, and I could boot into the OS just fine, but the touchpad/trackpoint were still broken.

Today, everything works fine. The computer boots fine. The touchpad and trackpoint are working again.

What the fuck happened? I'm really, really confused.

Attached: photo_2019-04-24_06-24-23.jpg (711x669, 49K)

kys fgt i dont care

I have the T480 with the MX150 and it throttles like crazy even when I play Rocket League. I love everything else about the laptop but playing some casual games seems impossible on it.

I currently have an x220, but I think it is rather small and old, and I will be getting a job soon. Is the e285 or e485 a better buy?

I would not recommend an E series at all. They are such a massive step down in build quality that you could barely call it a Thinkpad at all (even more so than other modern Thinkpads). I would Recommend getting a T500 series if you want something with a large screen. Get something like a T560 if you want a larger screen at an affordable price. If you want a 14" screen go for the T400 series at the same generation. The T400s variants usually have better build quality at the expense of maintainability and extensibility.

Recently got a x1 carbon 2nd gen. What screen should i be looking to swap into it?

I'm thinking about purchasing a think pad, would you Jow Forumsuys recommend a X240/50 or a T450s?

mainly programming,
emacs,
a bit of webbrowsing

x200 or x220

php - lisp - c - c++

i care about freedom but I can gladly live with coreboot

>(s/t.)
what did OP mean by this?

Witch one would you get Jow Forums?
i5 + 940MX
or
ryzen5 with vega8?

The ryzen one has only one heatsource.
My guess is that the cooling would be better.

Attached: ln.jpg (692x578, 71K)

>X60(s/t.), X200(s/t
The x60 and x200 have 'slim' and 'tablet' variants.
E.g x60 (normal)
x60s (slim version, lower voltage processor too?)
x60t (tablet version with 360-walk away screen)

x220 vs x230?

doesnt matter
x230 has usb3 which is nice
x220 i7 has it too though

as long as you mod it nitrocast

obsolete redundent thread, op. main tpg thread is kickin. postimg here too tho cuz i need advice

i always hit the thermal limit with 3740qm and 3840qm chips in the t430. running linux, i can stress all day without hitting 105c but when i do certain games using the igpu, it DOES hit the thermal limit and turn off. im tempted to get a new laptop at a deal or get a 3632qm chip. any suggestion? have you ran into this yourself with the 3840qm? its nost recently happened to me with surviv.io running at 900p for an hour or so. i have the delta dgpu fan.

I'm using a 3630QM without issue, but if I had one, I would just pay for the 3940XM.

T400 for $90 or T420 i5 for $170?

H-hello

Attached: 20181123_220548.jpg (2880x2160, 1.99M)

>x1 carbon 2nd gen
yikes. should've gotten at least 3rd

Hey guys, I have an offer of a R60 for about 60$
The thing is that it doesn't have a battery.

How shitty is the display on t460s compared to new mid range budget laptops?
I am currently using Acer aspire e5, i5 with fedora installed on, but that thing is too heavy and has just a HD+ screen on 15,6inch monitor. I have realized it begins to be a paint on eyes just by staring at the computer for a half of the day.
Will t460s be an a good investment in terms of portability? Or should I rather save more money and buy x1c 4th gen?

Attached: 1553679109503.png (422x491, 325K)

I just got a real funky smelling t420. Smells kinda electric but weirder. Some rattling heard inside and the dvd drive lock seems to be broken.
I guess I'll have to just disassemble and see what's inside.

First thing that greeted me when opened the ram slot was a loose spring just sitting there. I guess that solves the rattling.

3rd is trash
You need the 6th gen if you care about display quality.

The problem with these endless ThinkPads threads is that there are better laptops available now for the same price.

My old T420 is heavy as fuck and it was literally cheaper to buy a newer laptop that comes with a 1080p IPS than to mod my x230.

I have a feeling that these threads are just trolls to get you to carry around the Zack Morris of laptops.

If any of you are serious about getting a modern used laptop I would suggest avoiding threads like this.

Attached: ThinkPhone.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

Pls respond

Looks like the spring was part of the locking mechanism of the dvd drive. The slider was knocked off the rails.
Still don't know about the smell.

Come on dude, do you want to burn that $60 that bad?

I would suggest you to btfo

Can a T430 AC adapter be used on a T400? I'm starting to think that the T400 I bought won't come with an AC adapter

Starting to regret buying literal fucking garbage?

my thinkpad t430s arrived today. pretty nice, vanilla wow flawless 60 fps. pretty comfy.

What did you get, user? I'm certainly not modding any laptops but all laptops seem expensive as fuck nowadays.

But I didn't buy a R60, baka gaijin

All I have is an r31 that won't boot from the hard drive am I cool?

I had the chance to take an x40 or something tablet for free because my job didn't want it anymore but I declined because I felt like I was being fucked with and I'm mad I didn't take it

You fool

Do you know of any lightweight x230 alternatives that I can upgrade the CPU to a quad core?

Check out the e7240 and the e7250, the touch screen version has a 1080p IPS and is much more modern looking than the Thinkpads. Also the CPU's are newer, so you get better graphics, I just picked one up for $130

Check out the 2570p it weighs about 3.6lbs and since it comes with a DVD drive it is modders dream, the only downside is that there are no 1080p mods yet. Also the build quality is much better than the Thinkpads.

If a thinkpad being sold is listed as "locked bios", what the fuck does that mean?

It means its probably stolen and you shouldn't bother with it
Bios password is a pain in the arse to get rid of

previous owner locked the bios with a pass and never told it to the buyer

Just a guess, but I think the bios might be locked.

You should tell Jamal to give it back.

could I flash the rom to unlock it?

from my experience lenovo does a terrible job with thermal paste application so change that first, also undervolting cpu helps too unfortunately power control is locked from mx150 so you can't undervolt the gpu, but at least on my t480s I have 0 problems with gpu throttling, I've been playing new vegas in 4k recently and the temps never go above 75c and gpu runs at its maximum speed all the time

Nope
You have to solder wires onto the motherboard and dump code to another computer to edit it

Its a massive hassle

Is the t520 usable right now for programming and light tasks? I'm worried that the CPU wont be enough

Define light tasks?
Programming yes, unless you're compiling really big programs the T520 is more than capable, especially when upgraded with the quad core i7 it supports

Easter miracle

What happened?

Upgrade it manually or is there an option to buy it with it?

You can get it with the i7 installed but they're pretty rare and you'll want to open the machine to clean it and replace thermal paste anyway so you may as well buy it separately, it'll be far easier to find

Best of both worlds, X230 motherboard in X220. He's right that X220 i7 has USB 3.0, but it only has one port, while X230 i5 has two. Also i7 X220s are hard to find and expensive. I picked up my i5 X230 motherboard for 20 bucks on eBay. i5 X230 is faster and uses less power than i7 X220, plus you have the option for i7 X230 if you really need it. Doing the motherboard swap was literally plug and play, only thing I had to do was get an X230 wireless card since there's a blacklist.

the previous owner might have fucked the laptop's charging port with his micropenis so furiously that it was on fire at some point

buy it and then buy a battery

It seems to be working so I guess it's fine. Kind of annoying but I think I can handle it.

lenowo

Attached: lenowo.png (1508x219, 25K)

Make a Lelnono one.

Attached: lelnono.png (1480x219, 20K)

Kek, thanks.

I bought a T430 about a year ago and I was honestly shocked that IBM managed to fit so much weight into a 14 inch laptop. When I first received it my kids asked if it was Minecraft Laptop, because laptops in the game look very similar due to the pixel limitations. I instantly regretted buying this thing, but in the end I turned it into a media center for my TV, so it wasn't a total loss.

the fan of my T440s is starting to make noise.
What's the proper way to clean it?

Ah yes, magnesium hinges. Very durable.

Attached: magkneezium.jpg (1008x756, 351K)

>wagie stickers

blow compressed air into it

It's a fortune cookie I got which justifies my procrastination at university.

If you do this unplug the fan first though. Better safe than oops. Sometimes fans lose their lubrication and they start making noise too.

It's not the hinge that's broken it's the magnesium display roll cage. This happens on basically all T500s and W500s because the part where the hinge screws into the roll cage is really thin. As long as the plastic bit that goes over the roll cage and the display front cover isn't broken you're fine because that's what actually holds the hinge and display assembly together.

Attached: file.png (539x958, 667K)

What a terrible fortune cookie. It sounds too much like those "inspirational" stickers that small tech companies put in their employees cubicles.
Are the T430 supposed to be silent? Mine is making jet engine sounds, but it isn't too loud.

I think the part of the hinge that is poking out is jammed, won't move in either direction.

Please. As if a company would tell its employees it's okay to piss about and do nothing until a looming deadline causes to shit yourself and do everything in a blind panic.

Hey /tpg/! So my T430 has pretty much become the replacement for my W500. Would anyone here maybe be interested in purchasing it from me? Not sure how much I'd plan to part with it for, but I can lay down the specs and if there's an interest maybe I'll proceed.

Specs:
>core2duo T9600
>8GB 1600 DDR3L
>Librebooted
>1680x1050 display
>Nip keyboard
>~70% capacity 9cell

It's in good condition besides a corner of the bezel being repaired of a crack, could be sanded down and made basically invisible.

Hmmm... That's tough. I don't usually run intensive graphics and CPU at the same time. Maybe try setting the max all-core turbo lower? I personally haven't had any issues with thermal throttling or shutdowns, my advice would be to repaste and maybe use some thermal pads against the backside of the keyboard. Get more heat dissipation going.

Nice all-in-one minus a screen.

Yes. They changed the charger plug at the XX40 series.

lewd.pics/f/c9ec2b60/IMG_4096.JPG
;)

Looks corroded, too. Try some metal epoxy, should fix it right up.

Attached: Aesthetic_Librebooted_W500.jpg (2136x1424, 1.96M)

Forgot to mention it also has a 250GB SSD and a ath9k wireless card!

>lelnono
based awoo

clean your cooling system and reapply thermal paste

>T420 heavy as fuck
maybe if you're a stupid tranny
my W530 isn't too heavy

>They changed the charger plug at the xx40 series
Ah, I see. Thanks
If that's the cause, I guess I'll pick up a 135W adapter for my T530, stash it away and keep it as a backup driver or for vidya.
Also
>W500
>8gb 1600MHz DDR3L
I thought that the xx00 series could only take 1066MHz. Does the RAM underclock itself?

Wait, did you made it work with DDR3L ram through coreboot/libreboot? Impressive.
>t. W500 bro

I'd be interested

>upgraded from x220 to x230 today
>moved my ssd and 2x4gb 1866mhz ram over
>graphic performance is actually a huge leap
wow wtf i wished i upgraded it earlier now, but at least I got it for £72, much cheaper than when I got my x220 3 years ago for £150 and the wear quality wasn't bad/battered

Yeah, spill it on the leet mods you're presenting. I've got a W500 restored from images ca. 2013, and I'm looking to hax the living anus out of it.

Actually sorry I just won an ebay bid and now have no monies for anything

Ya know, I don't even know the clocks or the voltage they run at, and dmidecode isn't giving me any information back. Maybe an old Coreboot bug... I just know they work, never had any reason to look further into it lol. I will sya that I've been recommended 1600 DDR3L RAM on the Libreboot IRC, so surely I was told that for some reason.

Feel free to offer, if I think it sounds fair I'll tell you a way we can get in touch. ;)

Rip! Oh well, have fun with whatever you won! :)

LAPTOPS ARE TO EXPENSIVE AND OFFER SO LITTLE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well, DDR3L RAM consumes less energy, and paired with an SSD, it can help with battery life, but I'm sure you already knew that
Anyways, I have a regular 2GB stick somewhere in my room, and it would be nice if I could use it in my T400 when I pick it up from the post office, that's why I was asking if it underclocks or something

hope it finds a good home my w500 (1920x1200) is a fuckin beast

If it's higher than the supported clock it will underclock, yes. You should be fine!

My cope with the 1680x1050 display is that my theme won't like the DPI. :P

6lbs is way too heavy for a 14 inch laptop, it's not the 90s anymore, you can get these for around 2lbs now.

t420 IS heavy by any reasonable modern standard, I bet all the fags claiming it's fine never moved it from their desk after purchase

lay off the soi Alice, I take my w530 everywhere

Attached: wojaksoy2.jpg (647x740, 54K)

>being unathletic

t. limp-wristed suy boys

Attached: 1548579212639.jpg (1200x1696, 548K)

nothing wrong with a little junk in the trunk

I carry like 15lbs of various gear in my bag, there's absolutely no excuse laptop should be half of that while i could be fitting all kinds of other useful things there, cope harder faggots

It fell in hard concrete floor, since the X220-T model has only one hinge, well you know the rest.

Thank God that wasn't my main X220-T.
I repurposed the broken one as a headless server for a moment but when I realised I already had nextcloud, openvpn and pihole busy running on a raspi and a dedicated netgear NAS which both would consume less than a laptop running 24/7, it became a lifeless dust magnet for now.
I really can't find a proper usage for it. Any ideas?

Attached: 20190424_204338.jpg (4032x3024, 3.88M)

>It's not physically impossible to carry it on your back
>Therefore it's not heavy and you're just a basedboy
Come on mate, that shit is uncomfortable after more than an hour.

Most of the weight in the T420 is from things that you want though, magnesium frame, socketed cpu and swappable ultrabay components all weigh something

The only things in it that's significantly heavier than the modern equivalent is the screen and the battery

>(s)he has trouble carrying 15 lbs

Attached: wojaksoy.png (800x750, 106K)

15lbs is nothing...
Seriously bro, do you even lift?