You guys ever get into any in depth hardware mods? ex...

You guys ever get into any in depth hardware mods? ex. modifying a gtx 1060 for increased power limit and insane overclocks: youtube.com/watch?v=s2OLQntchWA

Hardware mod general?

Attached: image.jpg (1153x862, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/
youtube.com/watch?v=buGg2yG4frc
youtube.com/watch?v=ltHktJnWbi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just to get the ball rolling, one of my favorite ez mods, converting cheap LGA 771 xeons to work in LGA 775 motherboards: delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

post cool mods.

Attached: lga-771-to-775-adapter.jpg (500x667, 36K)

I was thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler for my RX570 but it costs more than half what the fucking GPU cost in total and it seems overcomplicated.

which model of rx 570?

MSI Armor (non-mk2). 8GB.

It's one of those things where you buy something real cheap and end up having to spend more anyways really. I should have listened.

>shorting resistors with liquid metal
ISHYGDDT

Attached: 1535134632843.jpg (306x306, 20K)

You can try a cheap AIO mod from china. You'll have to figure out VRAM and VRM cooling though.

Yeah, that's a pretty dinky cooler for a 150 watt card. They go for pretty cheap on ebay though so maybe it would make more sense to just upgrade to a 580 or something and sell off the 570. The difference might be the cost of a new cooler.

I have a Raijintek Morpheus on a 1070ti, pretty easy to install really. In my case though, I intended to custom cool it from the get go, so I went with the cheapest blower card with a reference pcb. Bit of a mistake though, nvidia sets a minimum fixed rpm for it's cards, any fans I connected to it (with an adapter) would not drop below 1200rpm, had to hook them up to the mb instead, don't know how it works with amd cards though. In any case, in full load I get 50c @ 1000rpm, so it was well worth the investment. Now I'm considering design and 3d print custom fan brackets to make it look nicer.

You can get one of those resistor cables that will drop the PWM voltage so the fan will run slower.

are there any xeons worth doing this to anymore?

Someone already tried it and it didn't work. It seems nvidia does actual rpm readings, and adjusts the pwm signal to match the minimum set rpm (from what I learned they did after that infamous driver that slowed fans to a halt on fermi cards).

it depends on what you're looking to do with it. if you already own one of the higher end p45 lga 775 motherboards, ram, etc. and can overclock an e5450 to around 4Ghz, the performance is great for the cost of the cpu, but i wouldn't recommend anyone really invest in a motherboard just to do this. it's cheaper and better performance these days to just get an old ivy bridge motherboard (dell, hp, etc.) and stick a ~$75 e3 1240v2 in it.

Undervolt it and set a custom fan curve. The RX 580 I keep around as a backup card is a cheap model (Powercolor Red Dragon) and noisy as FUCK out of the box, but I undervolted it to 1V without having to even drop the clocks and set a much more relaxed fan curve (WattMan cranks them up far more than is necessary). It's practically inaudible afterwards and never goes above 70 degrees.

Here's one for AMDork poorfags. Free performance increase for your rx 460s: youtube.com/watch?v=buGg2yG4frc

Attached: RX-460.jpg (640x361, 29K)

has anyone figured out a trick to overclock locked intel processors? i wonder if it would be possible to edit the bios microcode to make the motherboard believe a slower processor as if it were a higher tier processor ex. e3 1240 v2 as if it were a e3 1290 v2. or maybe microcode can't control that?

>i wonder if it would be possible to edit the bios microcode
They have done so on the Chinese interwebz

to increase cpu performance? got a link?

You could take the shroud and fans off and strap some 120mm case/cpu fans to the cooler and see if that makes any difference. Zero dollar experiment if you have fans lying around.

Yeah let's circumvent protection mechanisms to force-feed sensitive electronics MOAR POWAH. Enjoy your card lasting for about three months.

stop right now
this is a consumer electronics board
just buy the expensive one

found the jew

>1200rpm
That's basically silent if you have a noctua nf-a12x25 or two. It's worth it if you can drop $30 on each piece.

I already notice my Phanteks F140MP's at 700rpm, which are not half bad fans, and the cooler fans are 120's beQuiet SW3. I seriously doubt Noctuas at 1200rpm would be quieter than them.

he did it with a 1080 and ran it for over 6 months without a problem.

>1200rpm would be quieter than them
Probably not. That said, the noctuas at 1500rpm is comparable to other fans at 1000rpm

More power doesn't hurt the card provided you stay within sane limits and have the cooling for it. More voltage on the other hand directly shortens lifespan.

It doesn't always works.

You think THIS is in depth hardware mod?
youtube.com/watch?v=ltHktJnWbi8

My suggestion would be to buy a broken GPU, preferably a older board partner model with high TDP of ebay and mod the cooler onto it.

That'd be risky as not all boards have the same layout. If he has a reference board, he'll have a better chance of finding a cooler that fits as many low tier GPUs use the reference layout.

Those things aren't in microcode, they are in hardware fuses that are programmed (burned) after chip binning.

well what about the turbo core multiplier? i know they have some motherboards that would allow you to max the turbo across all cores. i wonder if you could modify a bios to do the same.

I do pencil mods.
I bumped up the memory voltage on my RX480 4GB to get to 8GB-tier memory clocks.

Nah never bothered desu especially on expensive hardware most I do is ziptie fans to gpus

Ya, tuned old Celerons with silver lacquer, for much better FSB frequency. Works like a charme.

>If he has a reference board,
Which I think armors do not, so it won't be that easy. He needs an heatsink with the baseplate at the exact location so the cooler doesn't end up misaglined.

No because I sold my pascal card and bought a 980ti as soon as I realized just how locked down the thing is. I can change the power target, boosting behaviours, voltage in a custom bios and then flash it on in 2 minutes. Even with hard modded in voltage control nvapi will shit on your attempts to get past that 2200ish wall if the temp is above 0c.
People who think they are actually overclockable are being fooled.
Buying any Pascal or Turing GPU is like buying an iPhone, Tesla, non-k Intel chip, unrootable carrier android, etc etc. DONT do it if you have the knowledge to know why you shouldn't.

Attached: 500x1000px-LL-b51fd2ac_IMG_20161128_090803823.jpg (500x324, 48K)

>the noctuas at 1500rpm is comparable to other fans at 1000rpm
Compared to what fans? I can see them pulling away that much from my Phanteks. The beQuiets though, very unlikely, I'd reckon they'd be only slightly quieter, if at all.

You have a point but if you're just going to do "competitive benchmarking" (=get on the highscore in timespy extreme) then it doesn't really matter. Those kinds of hardware mods are only for those who see the hardware has a disposable tool for making a entertaining video/steam, it's not like that's recommended for daily use. For GN it's probably fine if it lasts to the end of the livestream.

Nothing extensive, Thinkpad X61s fsb OC 200 to 266, adding an extra usb port to my T420, adding a 3rd mpcie slot to a T410, LGA 771 to 775 conversion, built my own bluetooth headphones, a fuck ton of PSUs, and small stuff like custom fan connector splitters

post that one russian guy who modded 1060 into 1070, 1060 3gb to 6gb and rx 570 to 580 with 8gb

does this count?
It's my T500 with an antenna mod
planing on doing an led mod and installing coreboot next week

Attached: 1555927155308.jpg (3264x2448, 1.82M)

>bruh it's cheaper to buy used backdoor ridden bugged CPUs nowadays
gee, who would of thought

Attached: soldering.png (812x800, 47K)

Looks fucking cool, how much custom work went into it?

I used to overclock gt630 to gt1030 or Radeon rx550 performance but it was very unstable and Power hungry

2 days but I got pretty lucky because I found a plastic piece to hold the connector the second day.

But it has armor that has +2 strength and stamina user

used to be able to convert nvidia cards to their quadro equivalent. gpu's are the same.

I bought Sennheiser HD555 and removed three screws and a little sticker tape to upgrade them to like HD595

I'm very proud of this upgrade

Attached: 1528737448165.jpg (480x360, 16K)

msi armor rx 570 here.
just undervolt to 1.0V.
i'm at 1.035 1400MHz.
runs cool, slow fan.

I remove screws from my smartphones and don't put them back in because most shells are being clipped into place anyways and the screws are literal bloat unnecessarily burning precious calories.

I tried that but I ran into a really weird issue. Wattman doesn't like when I don't set the voltage control to automatic and it never allows me to reach turbo core clock speeds. I can't even leave it at default without it dropping to something like 1100mhz from 1275mhz at full GPU usage, it's some weird shit. I just take it down a little bit (-0.025v) and it crashes on me. However I leave everything on automatic and I have no issues there.

See, I couldn't even reach stock with that.

Oh, nevermind. I just learned that I had to play with the power limit as well. Managed to get it to -8% without the clocks going down, so that's 3C less/300RPM less as well.