/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games(NSFW board): Previous thread:

Attached: lBmueWC.jpg (1920x1080, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Improve_Font_Rendering
youtu.be/Co6FePZoNgE
regolith-linux.org
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_user_directories
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good thread.

How is the Linux support for Vega 56 at the moment? My 580 has died and I can't decide between another 580 (8gb) or upgrading to a Vega 56. I play stuff at 1440p and the 580 did pretty well tbqhwyf

Go green

Theres no chance I'm using proprietary drivers ever again. Nvidia doesn't even support Wayland

wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Improve_Font_Rendering

Am I blind or is this a placebo?

shit wiki for a shit distro

Yes. Font rendering on shitlux is unsalvageable

Does installing a theme like Chicago 95 increase the RAM usage of Xubuntu at all or does it stay the same/decrease?

Hello frens, I am a complete noob to Linux. I just need my computer for interent browsing, email, pr0n, and most importantly for the Steam vidya/pirated vidya. Which distro should I go for for easy vidya or should I stick with windows 10?

Kubuntu or Xubuntu

ubuntu is the retard proof one

thank you my doods, I suspected this as much. Can I adk, what is the advantage of K... or X... over Ubuntu?

I posted this in the weak thread so here it is again:

For some reason I REALLY want to buy a used Macbook and install Manjaro on it. I use to use Linux (so many different distros) in college but now my work requires a Windows laptop, and my desktop is Windows as well (muh gayms). Is it a good idea to use a Macbook for Linux? Which model should I go for?

Attached: sat.jpg (253x199, 9K)

>Can I adk, what is the advantage of K... or X... over Ubuntu?

It is just a different desktop environment. Go google and see what they look like - maybe boot into both of them from an USB Stick to check them out.

Xubuntu is more lightweight on the System requirements and has a more minimalistic look, Kubuntu is more modern.

ah I see, thanks man. But being linux I presume that you can just add your own if you like. Hows mint for being good for retards like me? Tbh I am scared of Wine and tried to use it for games once and got stuck.

Other way around
Wayland dosent support nvidia
Hardware manufacturers dont devalue their hardware to work on some unknown alpha status hobby project

Wayland devs have publicly stated they have a chip on their shoulder and refuse to support nvidia

not the user you were replying to, and I have not been using Linux in a while. But now there is a thing called "Lutris", check it out. Basically it makes it so you don't have to do Wine config yourself, it does everything for you, tells you the errors you might have etc. Linux gaming is getting better by the day.

>Hows mint for being good for retards like me?

Don't bother with Mint.

>you can just add your own if you like

Yes you can, if you want to you can just install Ubuntu and then install Xfce (Xubuntu Desktop Environemnt) or KDE (Kubuntu DE) over it.

Xubuntu and Kubuntu just come pre installed and configured with it.

>Tbh I am scared of Wine and tried to use it for games once and got stuck.

Plenty of Steam games have out of the box linux support now. I wouldn't really bother with Wine unless you are playing a popular game that has been around for a long time and has a big wine community behind it.

Linux is a kernel.

I just googled that shit as per your instruction. Pic related is mfw I realise I can now get windows vidya to run on Linux as if I were download apps of the Play store.

Thank you sweet user, that is the exact thing a non-techie guy like me needs. Holy shit I am excited. A million thank yous and may your ancestors smile upon you

Attached: holy-shit-batman-599b79.jpg (500x435, 31K)

cool, thanks user that sounds encouraging. I will dip into Ubuntu and play around with it. desu Gnome looks ok as an environment anyway.

your mom is a kernel

fact: gnome stands for the "gui no one might enjoy"

Now you need to realize that while Lutris makes it way easier, this is still technically using Wine, so you need to expect some games to not work before a couple weeks, or with botched functionalities (everything that requires anti-cheat usually doesn't work online), and with a few frames less than Windows.
I recommend watching the videos from that fatso right here, he knows what's up : youtu.be/Co6FePZoNgE

>Microsoft should be afraid of a niche emulator that doesn't work 50% of the time.

Who are you quoting?

A lunatic loonixtard.

Whats your opinion on manjaro, if you ever used it. I am enjoying my fresh install but all i see is people shitting on it on this board

Attached: 1554875261867.png (249x250, 88K)

kek

thanks user I will proceed with caution.

I am the Lutris user. Personally thinking about trying to go full Linux gaming for at least a month, see what happens. I don't play as much as I use to anyways so whatever, and if it gets very bad I can always come back to Windows.

I have been using Manjaro for the last 6 months. Only problem I have is screen tearing from time to time, but it's not a big deal. Other than that, it is golden.

GNU/Linux*

if these things are already set in /etc/fonts/conf.d then yeah it's placebo

>Personally thinking about trying to go full Linux gaming for at least a month, see what happens.

In case you're curious to hear what happened for me:

I switched from a full gaming rig to a small Intel NUC running Xubuntu and Chicago 95.

Now all I play is oldschool Runescape (through Runelite), Dwarf Fortress, Roguelikes and some Emulators (primarily SNES).

It's fucking beautiful imho

Now that I have a full time job I barely play games anymore, but I keep on buying them. At least that way it might force me to not waste money anymore and play only truly great games. Also watch anime and build Gunpla.
Thanks for sharing, USB stick on the way, might install Pop Os this week-end.

Hello frens I am a complete noob currently hosting a public Minecraft server from Ubuntu. How can I monitor system status details like network, CPU usage, mem, etc? I'm currently running htop in another terminal window but it's not very good for looking at a glance.

I usually find time to play games for a few hours most nights. Do you have an excessive commute or something

Well, we got a guy to install ubuntu with gnome.
Who do we troll next?

gamers

cringe and not based thread, where is my Op trap pic????

No no, I also have time to play most nights, it's just I can't sink as much time as I did when I clocked 3000h in Dota 2 back in High School.

I enjoy it

so? you're no one.

>wasting 3000 hours of your gaming life on dota
the absolute state of zoomers

cope.
(You) are also no one.
There are people that like GNOME and people that don't. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean nobody likes it.

I'm pretty sure KDEposters are on the same spectrum of autism as ThinkPad posters

anons Im scared to use dd to clone my partitions to the drive i just bought, what if anything goes wrong?

Alright I will ask this question here because you're probably more "qualified" to answer:

My current system:
250Gb SSD with Windows 10
3Tb HDD with Windows 10 files (Games .exe, pictures, stuff like that).

Could I buy another SSD, install a Linux distro on that and make it a dual boot? How would I go about that? I don't think I would need to use the 3Tb HDD from Linux as I don't plan on using the Linux distro to game or anything.

I grew out of the pseudo-minimalist phase and I'm thinking about trying out another window manager.
Autism aside, I really like the way dwm handles tiling, and also ironically supports something as basic as spawning windows as floating by default, something i3 lacks.
What is a possibly larger, more functional window manager that provides everything dwm provides and more? I'm currently looking at Xmonad and Awesome. bspwm seems way too minimal, and as I said, I really don't care about muh minimalism anymore and I want my software to have features.
Have you tried those? What are your opinions on the matter?

Attached: 1550277102094.jpg (1920x1984, 2.06M)

caught

nghhh feet

Is there any FOSS applications to manage a small clinic?

Attached: aNYj3W4_460s.jpg (460x640, 60K)

Zoomers don't do DOTA it's very much a boomer game

Wouldn't cheap out on something like that. I'm sure something open source exists but for god's sake fess up for the support package

As long as you install Linux second. The Linux boot manager does support Windows.

What's a Boomer?

What's a zoomer?

Serious question btw

What is the linux boot manager?

A real boomer is a baby boomer born in the post-war era 1950-60 ish.

A meme boomer is a millenial who is getting old.

a zoomer is a gen z, annoying little shit who eats tide pods and plays fortnite and only knows mobile games with lootboxes.

grub or something. there's a few of them but with most distros it probably will use grub. Windows has its own boot manager but it only supports different versions of windows. OSX also has one that supports windows dual booting. Whatever OS you installed most recently will use its boot manager.

Linux is a kernel.

thanks

>allow me to interject for a moment

Attached: 1537736513197.jpg (750x493, 72K)

>1999
yay i am a boomer
better than being a zoomer

Attached: 1537866924002.jpg (2605x2636, 713K)

So if Windows is installed on SSD 1, and I install Linux (let's say Pop Os or whatever) on SSD 2, if I make the computer boot on SSD 2 (via BIOS, changing boot order), it will automatically propose me to boot on either SSD 1 (Windows) or SSD 2 (Linux)? That's solid, thanks.

Anyone using VAAPI to do hardware encoding on AMD GPUs in OBS?

Everything above 1080p30 results in massive amounts of encoding lag, 50% at 1080p60 (pointing to 1080p30 being some kind of limit). However, VCE3.4 is supposedly capable of doing 4k30 and should handle 1080p60 just fine.

Attached: rx570cantinto1080p60hwencoding.png (1352x654, 120K)

>tfw no boring chess gf

How hard would it be to code my very own OS?
Also, how hard would it be to code my own Kernel?

Very, very, very hard.

regolith-linux.org
uses ubuntu 18.04 as base + a preconfigured i3
is it a good way to try a tiling wm for someone coming from a de or better go from scratch?

also whats the point of having a compositor (compton in this case) in a tiling wm?

How did linus do it then?

Linus didn't do much at all. He wrote around ~2% of Linux in the beginning. Today Linux id developed by many companies and thousands of people all over the world. And that's just the kernel alone.

2% is actually a lot. Don't forget that Linux is 70% device drivers and firnware.

I just want to code a secure OS, with support to VMs so i cant run the VM inside a VERY secure OS, so that i can play and use my pc without risk to my privacy and security.

You can save years of work by simply not connecting your computer to the internet.

But i want to connect to the internet.

Have mirror of some sites,
~100000 files
filesystem is tired from it
as well as making backups
would adding it to tar be not tedious to open?
what is the optimal choice?

Attached: serveimage.jpg (700x467, 32K)

Is it possible to symlink the desktop folder? I can't delete it so ln -s doesn't work.

Is there a way to setup ranger to read the file type of the first file in a folder and use that info to open the entire folder in the appropriate program?

I'm trying to switch to ranger and MPV full time because they're great for everything else but I can't figure out an elegant way to open an entire series of something at once, I either have to manually tell it to open the folder with a specific program or close MPV after one episode then open the next through ranger

I'm probably retarded I know but can't find this in the man pages

I want to learn sysadmin stuff, going for RHCSA or hell even RHCE
Does distro choices matter? Seems as long as it uses systemd there's no diffrence?

How exactly do you "De-Google" Chromium?

Attached: I'd just like to interject for a moment. .png (598x543, 565K)

in one sense yes, you're able to do anything on any distro, but on the other hand if you're gonna get Red Hat certs then their distro is gonna be the one you wanna use.

Feel free to use CentOS, it's exactly the same as RHEL except for literally two packages containing all the Red Hat branding.

You don't. You installl Ungoogled Chromium and hope nothing slips through.

by not using it

>it
What are you trying to do?
Remove a symlink?
remove ~/Desktop?
remove ~/Desktop/Home.desktop?

rmdir ~/Desktop
ln -s /mnt/Data/Desktop ~/

How do webm thumbnails work? Is there a way to control the image using ffmpeg?

the thumbnailer software probably has some settings (maybe hardcoded) about quality, offset etc. that it passes to ffmpeg/libav

Dunno why you can't rmdir ~/Desktop, but could you rename the mount point to oh say desktop? Or just specify desktop as the link's name?
Then you should be able to have Desktop and desktop in you're home dir.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XDG_user_directories
I solved my problem.

I see some options in
ffmpegthumbnailer --help
You might wanna try that.
>I thought it was just a utility that file managers and media players sent calls to.

Thanks, looks like I'll just run centos in a vm then

Fuck off Jensen

What emulator?

My trackpad randomly decides to fail, waiting for a minute or two brings it back to life. It doesn't matter the distro, the kernel or the drivers (libinput or synpactics). Is there a form to check why it happens?

pls respond

I like video games. Will I experience any higher input lag on Linux compared to Windows?

Attached: download.jpg (500x500, 98K)

I tried to install Arch in a VM. I followed the instructions from the wiki and it seems that everything went fine but when I don't boot from the live CD I can(t acces internet.
Does anyone have an idea about what is going on ?