You have 10 seconds to explain why you not using OpenBSD 6.5

You have 10 seconds to explain why you not using OpenBSD 6.5

Attached: openbsdisameme.png (720x518, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)
openbsd.org/papers/anoncvs-paper.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>package
>13
Based

I don't use any OS distributed with a cuck license

>uses xorg
>complain about cuck license
kys

You are not using it either, faggot
You haven't even tried to hide qemu
th screenfetch logo is nice tho

Muh games and muh 4tb of ext4 I don't want to reformat

>implying I use xorg

Because it's not officially released yet, afaik

i use arch

Are you retarded?

[B]roken [S]oftware [D]issapointment.

because I run -current

Because it offers no practical advantage over GNU/Linux unless you're running it on a server where security is paramount.
It makes no sense on a workstation or a production machine.

This is another reason.

>QEMU Standard PC
for the same reason you aren't using either

I'm still using 6.4 but I'll upgrade soon

Long decades of experience have taught me to be wary of anything with "open" in its name.

28mb
noice
Also, best fetch logo

>28mb
how?

>file system doesn't support SSD trim
I've had traditional spinning drives get fucked when I dropped my laptop. Everything is 100x faster on SSDs as well. I'm not giving up my solid state storage because your dogshit file system is stuck in 1985. Even something like OpenIndiana offers ZFS support and other cool, modern features that would attract me to the platform. OpenBSD is only secure because it can't fucking run anything.

>inb4 they trim themselves with their built in firmware
No the fuck they don't.

Can't even into flash. Enjoy your potato.

I want to use it but my laptop was made within the last century so my hardware is unsupported.

I have a job.

It doesn't have the guestools for xen/xcp-ng :(

Can I upgraded to 6.5 without rebooting? Diggin my uptime

Attached: 2019-04-24-164103_775x787_scrot.png (775x787, 96K)

Because it's not audited. Therefore I don't trust them. Inb4 using an internal security team means it's audited.

because I'm using an objectively better distro

Attached: 2019-04-24-234515_883x475_scrot.png (883x475, 80K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

"By 2014, many SSDs had internal background garbage collection mechanisms that worked independently of trimming. Although this successfully maintained their performance even under operating systems that did not support trim, it had the associated drawbacks of increased write amplification and wear of the flash cells.[5]"

And these days they're better than software trim

because I'm using NetBSD

wat

Bloated, nearly 10 GB RAM used and 662 packages vs OP's 28 MiB RAM and 13 packages
bloat bloat bloat

The one thing that Linuxfags, FreeBSDfags, and OpenBSDfags can agree on is that NetBSD is worse and more deprecated than all of them

I am too stupid (1.7secs)

Because I run a distro which is better then yours - Debian.

Why would I want to uss openbsd other then the cool screenfetch logo?

because its literally "just another debian"

OpenBSD has never been audited. Its code base is too large and bloated to audit so we shouldn't use it.

unusable for me

I am too stupid

How the fuck are you smart enough to install gentoo but dumb enough to use i3

>The current release is OpenBSD 6.5, released May 1, 2019.
I don't have a time machine.

Realistically speaking, is it really suitable for Desktop use? I tried it once and many things didn't work for me

BSDfags don't sit and compare dicks over which one they use because they're actually being productive.

why do you care about uptime?

Attached: file.png (189x267, 88K)

false

I've never upgraded OpenBSD before. Hope it doesn't shit itself like most Linux distros

but it's a publicly created os. Do you mean no external code audit? it's the safest os by a long way with regards to actual published CVS

It depends what you mean by desktop use.
I'm typing this in Chrome (chromium) on OpenBSD 6.4 in i3 window manager. It just works, but clearly you won't be able to run Winamp or Photoshop.

But you can use Krita, or open source audio software. OpenBSD has their own audio stack (sndio) which is much, much nicer and cleaner than the absolute mine field that is audio in Linux.

A honest description of OpenBSD is that you tradeoff a few years of new crap for a stable system. So if you're happy going back 5 or 10 years and have a stable computer, it's great. But it doesn't support all the latest shit that Linux or Windows supports.
You can play games, but not AAA games released this year on Steam... Things like Baldur's Gate II or Quake, etc. are supported.

It doesn't work with my hardware.

how rare

>>>/reddit/

He's probably trolling.
OpenBSD was the first operating system to operate openly (that's where the name comes from) using a technology called AnonCVS that allowed anyone to see their changes in real-time. Nowadays everyone can do that using github, but OpenBSD invented it.
openbsd.org/papers/anoncvs-paper.pdf

Before that people distributed .tar.gz every few weeks or months. You could diff them but those were really big changesets. OpenBSD guys said, fuck it, let's just open the CVS in read access for everyone to see.

To some extent they invented open source more than any other group, with this approach.

>implying anybody is enforcing the GPL
There's literally no practical difference between GPL and BSD.

>i3
>st
Retard.
I bet you only use Gentoo because you think Systemd is "bad" and not to compile packages with -o3 and -funroll-loop or develop the Operating System.

What's wrong with st?

>Placebo piece of shit
>barely lightweight once all necessary patches are included
>have to manually check if new patches are up-to-date whenever compiling
Like all suckless apps, its made for people who have too much time on their hands.

because I use CentOS linux 7.6
7.6 > 6.5

dude, even gnome-terminal uses less resources, st uses like 8M. But you have to launch more than one terminal and the scrollback patch is a piece of shit.
foot-terminal, lxterminal and urxvtd+urxvtc don't use much additional ram per terminal

Because it doesn't support my hardware.

Why not just use slackware

slackware is bloated shit

I don't like i3 but use whatever you're comfortable with and ignore these fags (especially the namefaggot) but I suggest switching from st to xterm or literally anything else

Nobody is forcing you to use those packages. How small is your hard drive?

This

hey OP is sopa de macaco

whats wrong with i3?

>QEMU

nice emulator faggot, now run it on bear metal

>performance hit in the name of secure runtime
Hmmm

Attached: Puffystock.gif (681x1029, 195K)

Because OpenBSD's kernel is heavily inferior to Linux, and because GNU coreutils, while more bloated, offer many features I really have grown to depend on. A busybox userland is literally more featureful than OpenBSD.

False.
Source: this thread

Ask to openbsd devs

It even says "virtual machine" "Maquina virtual"

dork

based
this
kek
>slackware
Hi grandpa
uma delĂ­cia huehuehue
no

I'm using my server as a desktop until my new graphics card comes in and need to be able to read Btrfs and XFS partitions

why?

But that's wrong

Works for me

This user gets it.

I wanted to install it but it didn't work. Didn't care enough and didn't have enough time. Will probably try it again later.

>13 packages.
wtf is this.
Jow Forums explain.

Is this OS made for old mobile phones?

what's wrong with i3?

OpenBSD is a real operating system with custom parts made to work together. You don't build it from thousands of random internet packages.

>custom parts made to work together
So, they're a lots of random internet packages compiled into 13 packages then ?

packages are a social construct

Not working with jetbrains products

I'm still on 6.4

I use SSD's

>KVM

Why do retards run the best operating system... in emulators?

It's not the best OS if it doesn't work with your hardware, or if it's too slow. This is why Linux effectively devoured all other free unixen ages ago outside of niche domains.

>2019
>no trim support
fuck this autistic trash

Attached: ns.webm (1280x720, 2.49M)

Because is a shit.

Currently running a better OS on the actual hardware heehee

Attached: file.png (1354x897, 150K)

also nice 100 days soon

>debian

NOTHING
FUCKING
WORKS

Yes, it's Debian GNU/Linux with Proxmox running on it.

font?

Microsoft Fixedsys

I failed to defend myself in 10 seconds

At least you admit it.